• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What is a good way to decline a wedding invitation?
Send a card with a check for whatever amount you feel is appropriate and wish them joy although you can't make it.

Often wedding invitations come with little cards to return saying whether you expect to attend, but if you've misplaced that, oh well.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Hello folks. Yesterday the speakers stopped working on my laptop. I fixed it by reinstalling the drivers from Device Manager

Today the touchpad is not working. Problem is, the touchpad (Synaptics Pointing Device I think it was called) doesn't appear in Device Manager, so I can't tell the pc to update/reinstall the drivers.
How can I do it?

EDIT: Windows' Troubleshooting tool fixed the problem - I'm impressed. Although I had to shut down and boot up again manually because a Restart wouldn't do it.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How was Biggie's voice so deep at 24? I can't believe I'm hearing a 24 yr old rap when I play Life After Death. My peers ain't sound like that when we were young.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
I'm looking to buy a Nest indoor security camera. It says it records video non-stop, will this affect my internet speed since high-def video recording will constantly be hitting my router?

If this will negatively affect the performance of my other connected devices (phone, xbox, etc) then I'm going to go with a camera that only records when it senses motion.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Moved someplace and there happen to be mice. Emailed landlord but in the meantime should is it better to use steel wool and silicone chaulk or foam spray on any possible point of entries?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Is it possible that my tiny 128GB Sandisk Nano USB drive is making my Macbook Pro drain power faster?

I always leave it in, and i've always wondered. It heats up a bit as well.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to buy a Nest indoor security camera. It says it records video non-stop, will this affect my internet speed since high-def video recording will constantly be hitting my router?

If this will negatively affect the performance of my other connected devices (phone, xbox, etc) then I'm going to go with a camera that only records when it senses motion.
It's unlikely local bandwidth will be negatively impacted to any significant degree by doing this - if it's constantly recording and uploading to the cloud somewhere you might have an issue. I don't have any experience with these products but maybe they allow you to control the rate at which uploads happen if this is the case?

Is it possible that my tiny 128GB Sandisk Nano USB drive is making my Macbook Pro drain power faster?

I always leave it in, and i've always wondered. It heats up a bit as well.
In theory anything that adds load will increase power draw, but I can't for the life of me imagine this would be noticeable. Should be easy enough to test by doing standard things (maybe run a benchmark of some description) with and without it attached and comparing how quickly the battery drains.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
How on earth do people take explosive shits at work that stain the back of the toilet bowl on a daily basis? Do u take shits like that at home? Jesus

In my life I have never taken a shit that left explosive marks at the back of the toilet bowl, WTF?

Last edited:

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Anyone have advice on being focus while doing online homework? Idk why but I always get bored, and easily distracted, when compare to doing regular paper homework. Currently I'm just printing out the assignments, which helps on some homework, but I'm here to see if anyone else has any other advice.

Also, is there a way to block sites on the computer, and on an android phone?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have advice on being focus while doing online homework? Idk why but I always get bored, and easily distracted, when compare to doing regular paper homework. Currently I'm just printing out the assignments, which helps on some homework, but I'm here to see if anyone else has any other advice.

Also, is there a way to block sites on the computer, and on an android phone?
Oh sure, there are lots of ways to block sites. You can use software, or program it into the modem you use. A bunch of people I know like this one app called Forest for managing time spent on the web. But there are many others, and for both desktop and android.

GuanYu

Dec 12, 2017
I've been looking to buy a new camera, a Canon Rebel. A month or so ago, they were about $350-$400 for a bundle. Suddenly they've gone up to $550-$700!
WTF happened?!

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Oh sure, there are lots of ways to block sites. You can use software, or program it into the modem you use. A bunch of people I know like this one app called Forest for managing time spent on the web. But there are many others, and for both desktop and android.
Thank you, it has kinda became an addiction with how many times I reload pages here, and on other sites. I recently did a self reflection on my poor school performance, and finally decided to do something about it by severely cutting down on my distractions, with the only things left being my phone and laptop.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking to buy a new camera, a Canon Rebel. A month or so ago, they were about $350-$400 for a bundle. Suddenly they've gone up to $550-$700!
WTF happened?!
Are you comparing the exact same model? Was there a sale? Are you in the usa and able to wait for black friday since it's only like a month away now?

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to find some cheap Bluetooth headphone earbuds that don't sit inside my ear. I'm talking basically crap $5 style earbuds that I can comfortably use at work for podcasts and such.

Every single Bluetooth earbud I see is the uhhh.. Insert into your ear style which I find horribly uncomfortable.

Edit: I guess the right term to use here is non noise canceling earbuds.

GuanYu

Dec 12, 2017
Are you comparing the exact same model? Was there a sale? Are you in the usa and able to wait for black friday since it's only like a month away now?
AFAIK it's the same model, same bundle. I'm gonna have to wait, hopefully the price will be reasonable again soon. Damn though I should've jumped when I first had the chance.

I really hope it's not some kind of tariff side effect.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
my iPad will not charge if plugged into my iMac....but it WILL charge when plugged into a separate wall charger. I'm trying to determine why my iMac isn't providing enough power to charge the iPAd.I've swapped the USB ports and Ive tried different cables. This did previously work.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I have a former co-worker that invited me to his wedding happening later this month, I've had plenty of time to prepare for it, but I had forgotten about it until I got the formal invitation last month.

I don't really want to go to this wedding. I have to pay for a flight, book two nights in a hotel, rent a tux (black tie wedding), and spend my whole weekend with people I mostly don't know. It's a big investment, that technically I could afford, but I don't know if it would be worth it.

What is a good way to decline a wedding invitation?

Are you good friends with this person? Really if you have to travel, just say you can't make it for a gazillion reasons to give. Money, work, other plans, etc, etc. If it's not a good friend.... ignore it?

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Am I normal for thinking SPT's acoustic version of Plush is way better than the grunge version? Or that I think it's one of the best acoustic remixes period?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to nuke my email from all spam mailing lists online? For every mailing list I manually unsubscribe from, 10 new ones appear.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
my iPad will not charge if plugged into my iMac....but it WILL charge when plugged into a separate wall charger. I'm trying to determine why my iMac isn't providing enough power to charge the iPAd.I've swapped the USB ports and Ive tried different cables. This did previously work.
Are both your ios and iTunes software up to date.

This happened with me on my mac book and once I updated it worked again

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a PC at work, but I have a Mac at home. What's the best client on the Mac side for accessing PC remote desktop?

I've used Chrome Remote Desktop before but, y'know, it's kind of a mess. It works in a pinch but it's not good. Any alternatives that just work? If I'm VPN'ed into my work network it's very easy to access my work PC by the network name. I also have thought the Microsoft Mac client for RDP is shitty, is that still the case?

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Roku 3 for cheap a while ago to use on non-smart TV. It seems to work fine for most things, but as far as Netflix, the program seems to start freezing up on the splash screen after a few days. Reinstalling the app seems to fix it, but again only for a few days. Has anyone ever had an issue like this and solved it?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Should I play Fallout 4 or Skyrim next? I just bought the GOTY bundle from the PSN store and cannot make up my mind. :p

eAmfvKCm.jpg

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
How on earth do people take explosive shits at work that stain the back of the toilet bowl on a daily basis? Do u take shits like that at home? Jesus

In my life I have never taken a shit that left explosive marks at the back of the toilet bowl, WTF?
I think the question should be how do people not clean the toilet after they've used it?

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
Americans - how big a deal is Easter?

Thinking of coming over for a week, California specifically, over Easter 19.

Will shit will be open, bars/ breweries / supermarket etc, or is stuff closed on Friday, orSunday or Monday (is Monday even a p/h there?) or a combination? or is it biz as usual?

Cheers

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Americans - how big a deal is Easter?

Thinking of coming over for a week, California specifically, over Easter 19.

Will shit will be open, bars/ breweries / supermarket etc, or is stuff closed on Friday, orSunday or Monday (is Monday even a p/h there?) or a combination? or is it biz as usual?

Cheers

It should be open for the most part, everything will be colored like a baby shower though.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm about to turn 37 and am considering going back to school for either multimedia journalism or creative writing. I'd like to get a gig writing about video games but am worried I'm too old.

If I'm not too old, which would be the better degree?

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to turn 37 and am considering going back to school for either multimedia journalism or creative writing. I'd like to get a gig writing about video games but am worried I'm too old.

If I'm not too old, which would be the better degree?

It'll be easier and cheaper to start a gaming blog and keep it running for about a year. Then you'll have a portfolio which in many cases, is considerably stronger than a degree in terms of creative writing jobs.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Related to that ^

How would one get into non-gaming journalism/reporting, without the specific degree? I have a social sciences degree - wrote a lot of essays, so have good awareness of word count, relevant information presentation and can be concise in writing, as well as good analytical skills, However, I'm 40 years old, so it's essentially a late change of career. What would be a good first step?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Forgive me if I've asked about this before.

So I slammed my middle finger against a low ceiling and broke it. Or at least I think I broke it, Couldn't bend it for like a month or two. Finally got mobility back, all was good, then my brothers girlfriend had me open a bottle of wine and it like popped something. I can kinda see something on my middle finger on the middle knuckle. Its not hard, but I do baby that finger now cause it is really painful if I use it a lot. Like a vein almost. I keep saying I'll go to the Dr. but I end up putting it off.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if I've asked about this before.

So I slammed my middle finger against a low ceiling and broke it. Or at least I think I broke it, Couldn't bend it for like a month or two. Finally got mobility back, all was good, then my brothers girlfriend had me open a bottle of wine and it like popped something. I can kinda see something on my middle finger on the middle knuckle. Its not hard, but I do baby that finger now cause it is really painful if I use it a lot. Like a vein almost. I keep saying I'll go to the Dr. but I end up putting it off.

Ummmm...

Go to the doctor, man. Even if it's not something major and it'll heal by itself, leaving it on its own will cause it to heal badly/wrong, and will almost certainly affect you (and your quality of life) long-term, well into your later years.

70-year-old-you will thank you for it.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Am I missing it or is it impossible to buy Word for Mac '19 on its own? The Office suite is pretty expensive considering I want exactly a quarter of it.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
I want to get a job in programming. I have been learning on and off for almost 7-8 years now.

I have done tons of basic courses in college/youtube/udemy in C++, Java, Python, GML, postgreSQL, and currently working on JavaScript.

I was hoping I'd find work knowing SQL queries, but no such luck.
So I moved on to work on learning JavaScript, and I hope to have an app and maybe a website to show off by the end of it.

I really don't know what I should be doing. I am already planning ahead and looking at angular or node.js courses but I'd like to find work within the next few months. That and I need to figure out what GitHub is because that's mentioned everywhere.

I am both directionless and feeling like I am missing some crucial steps to entering the profession.

Any advice? Thanks

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the best place to watch the Zatoichi movies? Or maybe a better question is is there a streaming service that has all of the Zatoichi movies?

Arol

Avenger
Dec 29, 2017
So I have question and I'm having a shitty time finding it in Google. I may just be trash at searching for the question.

So, I'm looking for software that can specify or make a watermark or symbol whenever someone prints something for a computer.

I'm guessing I can set it from a printer or even the computer?

I just need to know when for example John prints to printer Alpha, that some kind of watermark prints regardless of the document being printed.