• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This is probably the biggest blow to Netflix. The Office is timeless in my opinion and has a huge fan base that keeps growing.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The wife has watched the office and parks and rec pretty much on the daily for years, so it looks like we are signing up for the NBC/Universal service.

Honestly I think we might drop Netflix at least as a 'have every month situation'

We will pick it up for stranger things and I'll binge my other shows at the same time (ozark, last Kingdom, peaky blinders). The downside of everything available at once

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
in 2025 every single channel will have a streaming service. It's like we are once again living in the dark times before a big idea comes along and simplifies everything.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I... love all of these shows besides 30 Rock. All of them are in regular rotation on my streaming services. I'd have to get NBC Stream or whatever the fuck, I think. Honestly, I can't even think of another comedy I stream besides Always Sunny.

Like I said, I think there is a big potential market for a service going - "Hey, remember all those shows you loved? We were behind them! Money please!"

And it'll work on me at least once in awhile. I initially signed up for Hulu in 2014 for two things - 1) Criterion, and 2) old sitcoms.

My island fantasy package would just keep me awash in Frasier, Simpsons, King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers, and Parks and Rec. Which I guess means I would really just need NBC and Fox.

Yeah it's crazy. WB has some solid shows through lot of the networks. ER, West Wing, vampire diaries, supernatural, night court, Alf, full house, Murphy brown, queer as folk, the OC, shameless, cold case, without a trace, 2 and half men, chuck, the Big Bang theory, the mentalist.

Man, WB really has a lot of heavy-hitters that I would have assumed followed the network. CBS in particular really is screwed for a streaming service, all your Star Treks and Twilight Zones be damned.

Yeah, that's not a bad line up, but Friends. The Office, and Seinfeld definitely do the heavy lifting

That's without even getting into the kind of shows someone might be drawn to but not enough to pay exclusively for. Like, Mad About You was a big hit. I don't think it would get someone to subscribe but it might keep them hooked for a bit.

I loved the Office but I'm not sure it's entirely aged well.

It hasn't for me; I just find so much of it mean-spirited. But I know a lot of people who quote it constantly and even came to it years later.

Oct 27, 2017
I've got Netflix and Amazon and won't sign up for anything else. If a show isn't on one of those I'll just never see it and I don't care.
All these subscriptions is just getting ridiculous and I hope they fail.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC NBC also has the option to pull all of their stuff from Hulu in 2021 as part of the Comcast share sale to Disney. I will be shocked if anything NBC related is left outside their own service.

They have already pulled the shows those are gonna be exclusive to NBC platform from Hulu: AP Bio, Quantum Leap, Miami Vice and Xena.

Others are staying on Hulu as NBC own only part of them: 30 Rock, Parks, Will and Grace and Saved by the Bell.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
CcCur7x.gif

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I will not be signing up for all these services. I have Hulu, Amazon and Netflix. That shit is enough. In fact i will probably end up dropping Hulu once my $1 a month deal is up.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
If this streaming service contains the entire breadth of NBC's classic sitcom canon (Cheers, Frasier, Taxi, Community, 30 Rock, the Office and Parks and Rec at a bare minimum) then maybe it could justify pushing its way into this already needlessly bloated market.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
In a tangential related topic, I was looking at new cars the other day and bmw charges you $80 a year to "subscribe" to get Apple CarPlay.

Welcome to the new age. 👋🏻😬

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
In a tangential related topic, I was looking at new cars the other day and bmw charges you $80 a year to "subscribe" to get Apple CarPlay.

Welcome to the new age. 👋🏻😬
Well that's absurd. How does that even work? I mean in my Honda Odyssey you just plug your phone in and approve the connection on your phone one time and you're in.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Not to be snarky about it, but this was always going to be the inevitable conclusion to an all-streaming future. The whole "I don't want to pay for a la carte, just the specific channel I want." This is it.

He beauty of this system is being able to subscribe to one or two services constantly, with a rotation of relatively cheap, instantly cancelled options beyond that.

Like, right now I'm going with a system of Hulu/Netflix/Spotify. Hulu gets my girlfriend and I constant Bob's Burgers and episodes of network sitcoms during the airing season; Netflix gets us their ecosystem; Spotify gets me all my music. Combined it's roughly $35 a month.

In the past with cable and buying music (which I did a lot) I was probably spending $150 per month.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Not to be snarky about it, but this was always going to be the inevitable conclusion to an all-streaming future. The whole "I don't want to pay for a la carte, just the specific channel I want." This is it.

Ya, people begged for this and it turns out they didn't even know what they were asking for. This is exactly what they wanted.

The reality is they didn't want to pick and choose what they wanted; they simply wanted everything at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Yep this is where streaming is going and it's not what people expected a few years ago. Everyone wanting their own share of the pie in order to stay relevant. This is also why Netflix and Amazon are investing so much money into their own shows.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yep this is where streaming is going and it's not what people expected a few years ago. Everyone wanting their own share of the pie in order to stay relevant. This is also why Netflix and Amazon are investing so much money into their own shows.

People did expect it. People screamed their heads off and people didn't listen. Netflix knew this is where it was going years ago. Anyone could see this coming from a mile away.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
We've all been walking around like we had a scholarship waiting for us and NBC just handed us a laptop battery.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
People did expect it. People screamed their heads off and people didn't listen. Netflix knew this is where it was going years ago. Anyone could see this coming from a mile away.

Thank you!

It also gets very tiring with the refrain of "these companies are greedy!" You want to see certain shows get made? Because you gotta pay people to make them. You have to pay royalties for past shows. No one is going to go into hock so you can watch The Office for free.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you!

It also gets very tiring with the refrain of "these companies are greedy!" You want to see certain shows get made? Because you gotta pay people to make them. You have to pay royalties for past shows. No one is going to go into hock so you can watch The Office for free.

To add to that, it's weird how people thought companies would suddenly want to be making a fraction of the money they used to make. No company let alone an industry wants to go from 1 billion in revenue down to 125 million in revenue but somehow people thought we were going to get all the entertainment we want for a fraction of what it used to cost? Knowing this alone, you could tell where this was going.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
To add to that, it's weird how people thought companies would suddenly want to be making a fraction of the money they used to make. No company let alone an industry wants to go from 1 billion in revenue down to 125 million in revenue but somehow people thought we were going to get all the entertainment we want for a fraction of what it used to cost? Knowing this alone, you could tell where this was going.

It's also galling, because in some cases they actually have taken a hit. I'm pretty sure the music industry desperately wishes for the days of platinum sales in less than a week at $15-25 a pop.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I stay with the platform that gives me the best bang for the buck, and right now its Netflix. No singular show will make me sub for that particular platform. New content is king for me.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Time will tell if these services will actually work out. Having content is one thing but you need a competent tech backend, good pricing and more to make it work.

Thank you!

Do you think Netflix doesn't pay royalties on these shows?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's great for us in the UK. Market can't sustain all these (most of which have no brand power here) so most stuff gets put onto Netflix or Prime.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eventually there will be a collapse in streaming services and everything will be consolidated back into the same 2-3 ones that are already popular.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Damn, I'm gonna have to switch back to cable soon, aren't I...

Do you need all the channels?

If this streaming service contains the entire breadth of NBC's classic sitcom canon (Cheers, Frasier, Taxi, Community, 30 Rock, the Office and Parks and Rec at a bare minimum) then maybe it could justify pushing its way into this already needlessly bloated market.
[/QUOTE]

Both NBC/Universal and Warner Media have intriguing options. I could definitely see subbing each for a couple of months

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the whole series on sale on iTunes for $25?

This and Parks for $55 or something like that. For hundreds of hours of entertainment I might just cancel Netflix.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's already not available on our region since I think last 2 years or so, it's on our Fox+ which is free from our cable so it's still good and it has Atlanta, Always Sunny, Parks and Rec, Community, Seinfeld, so pretty much favorite rewatchable sitcoms.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So what's all the services announced/ running right now?

Netflix
Hulu
Disney+
NBC Streaming
Amazon
Warner brothers
DC universe
Crave

Probably more that I'm forgetting.
This shits getting out of hand really...

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to make a Plex server for myself for a while. This could be the thing that does it for me. Gives me a solid deadline to shoot for at least.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those complaining and asking for consolidation, did you ever have a cable service plan?

If you want cable (for the sake of argument I am including satellite dish services), you have to pay to "rent" equipment in order to use it, pay to have someone come install the equipment, sign up for a 12+ month membership plan, and see a rate increase after your introductory period. If you don't want any of their other services, be prepared to pay extra to have just the one service. Do you want to watch away from home? Yes, more services have been more progressive with that in recent years but there are still restrictions in place and limited devices that are usable.

With streaming services you can subscribe for a month at a time without the need for a minimum commitment. Pretty much any device can run the streaming service that you use and you have more flexibility to watch where ever you want.

Competition is good. With more strong services out there, it pushes the market to evolve and get better. It will be interesting to see how the market plays going into the next decade as streaming is the present and future. Yes it can suck when there is great content spread out across several services but I would rater have the ability to pick a few services for a given month rather then pay a lump sum for 99% content that I will never watch. (Ironically I say this as a PS Vue subscriber, but hey that is the cheapest was to get my local sports teams)

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So pretty much all the Big media companies are going to have their shows on a paid streaming on-demand service within the next 5 years it seems