• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
It would be amazing if there was 1 hub where you could feed in the content from all the different services and combine it all together into seperate constant streams of content.

You could have a stream for comedy, drama, movies, cartoons, sitcoms whatever all coming through on different channels. But thats kind of a pipedream I guess.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Wait, didn't Netflix pay an absurd amount for Friends streaming rights? Would have expected that they'd get it for a decade at least.

Anyway, yeah, this is going to happen, so buckle in and wait it out. Everyone will make their own service, most of them will fail since nobody can compete with the IP libraries of people like Disney or the entrenched status of Netflix, so it'll consolidate out a while after that. Soon we'll be down to a solid 3-5 services, with high prices and monopoly protections for everyone!
I think they only paid to forestall the Friends exodus by a year

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for every company to have their own streaming service, only to have someone create a sort of GoG like app that combines it all into one app, and then all of your shows are in that app, and then a decade later the cycle restarts.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
By 2021, the market will be pirates, and people subscribing to one service and trading passwords with people subscribed to other services.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be amazing if there was 1 hub where you could feed in the content from all the different services and combine it all together into seperate constant streams of content.

You could have a stream for comedy, drama, movies, cartoons, sitcoms whatever all coming through on different channels. But thats kind of a pipedream I guess.
Apple TV app kind of does this. It aggregates from all kinds of different sources (Hulu, Prime, etc.) to produce a unified watch list.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Hopefully this causes Netflix to drop price or at least keep price constant for a while. I know those contracts were expensive.

I have no interest in either series so I'm fine with this.

Also, shows why show piracy is still so rampant. They make it so much harder to enjoy your content.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Good, take that expensive baggage away. These rerun shows old people use for background noise and nostalgia are fucking expensive. It's poison to streaming services wanting to provide new content, much like sports network bundles on cable.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018

Apples got you. It's amazing searching for any show or movie on the app and it tells you what it's on and plays it.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like all these streaming services may actually get people to just buy the blu rays of their favorite shows and subscribe to only a few actual streaming services instead of subscribing for one long time show. Only those streaming services with a huge amount of original or long time content are gonna be able to hold people for long.
Maybe some people but I think a lot will go without or pirate. A Blu-Ray of a season of a show can be multiple months of a streaming service. As you can literally google watch ___ online its going to be hard to convince people to pay more for less.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for every company to have their own streaming service, only to have someone create a sort of GoG like app that combines it all into one app, and then all of your shows are in that app, and then a decade later the cycle restarts.

Apple's already doing that. No Netflix though.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Not an Office fan, but streaming is out of control.

By diluting the content base across dozens of services, the appeal is greatly reduced.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Oh

What a joyous future for streaming services.

Yay.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
There's gonna be a streaming service bubble that will have to pop at some point. I don't see myself signing up for more than 2 at a time.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Still a few years away but this is probably the nail in the coffin for Netflix for me personally.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
If my wife didn't use Netflix, I'd cancel it since I use Hulu infinitely more these days with Prime as my number 2 for my Curb fix. This just kinda reinforces my feelings since I don't really watch many Netflix originals outside of Stranger Things and they just shit canned all the Marvel stuff.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If you don't own a copy of whatever it is that you want to watch, it'll be taken away too.

Physical media stays winning.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It's on every channel right now.

Watch it before nbc gobbles it up.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Advocating Piracy
I use software called PlayOn to record shows that are on Netflix, Hulu, etc. It records to my PC, and there is a Roku app that I use to play back the files on my living room tv.

I would recommend people find a service similar to this and record what you want.

Also to record movies you digitally rent

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Someone is gonna make a lot of money turning this streaming silo shit into the packages like tv is sold.

Basically streaming is just gonna turn into TV.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I use software called PlayOn to record shows that are on Netflix, Hulu, etc. It records to my PC, and there is a Roku app that I use to play back the files on my living room tv.

I would recommend people find a service similar to this and record what you want.

Why not just torrent them if you're gonna do that

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be a streaming service that's just The Office and Friends, shit would be trillions of dollars.

This man out here VHSing on his PC.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I find it strange NBC is launching its streaming service in 2020 without the Office for a whole year. What are people going to watch on it until 2021?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Same thing is probably happening with Friends, as they'll be pulled off Netflix and put on WarnerMedia's incoming streaming service.

Not looking forward to this new era of streaming services

Look at the list of warner brother tv shows, it's ridiculous. 17-18$ a. Month if it comes with hbo and movies (which has been speculated).

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean that's just blatant piracy so why not just download the torrent at that point.

Anyway, I've been expecting this. I really think I'm going to just invest in a proper home media set up and start to rip my physical media and continue purchasing that way. People say to go digital but I've got no faith any of those digital services will last very long.

I'm guessing there's no one out there that sells DRM free shows/movies?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
On the flipside, NBC is putting a lot of stake into whether people will subscribe to their service for two of the most syndicated sitcoms in history. They're big gets, for sure, but it's hard to gauge how much they were a "nice to have" for Netflix, and how much they actually drove customers. Because god bless NBC, their lineup is pretty shitty, and I ain't subscribing to a Friends and Office service.

NBC owns the rights to -

Friends
The Office
Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Seinfeld (not wholly owned, but they'll pony up for it)
Cheers
Frasier
Will & Grace
The Golden Girls
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

They could also probably haggle for Community (Sony-owned) and 3rd Rock from the Sun. Scrubs is owned by Disney and I highly doubt NBC wants to touch the lightning rod that is anything to do with Cosby, though.

But those are just the most notable comedies. I don't think it's going to be a standard-bearer for anyone, but an NBC owned streaming platform would definitely yank in some people on the strength of their sitcoms, especially for those of us who grew up watching them. Frasier is my go-to background show currently.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we about to go from paying $50 a month or so for every channel, including some you might not want, to $10 a month for each individual channel?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck with this, I might just end up cancelling Netflix and only stick with streaming services included with my Cable (HBO, Showtime).

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I think a big part of the reason people watch The Office on Netflix so much isn't just because it's The Office, but also because it's on Netflix. Unless this spin-off service is much cheaper, I don't think it's gonna work out for them as well as they'd think. I know I certainly don't want to have to be juggling 10 different steaming services.

Some people are just gonna choose between Netflix and TheOfficeFlix. I know I'd choose Netflix.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Are we about to go from paying $50 a month or so for every channel, including some you might not want, to $10 a month for each individual channel?

Yes, but you can pick and choose on a monthly basis with the ability to instantly cancel or reconnect and able to choose your viewership whenever, wherever. That still beats trying to start/cancel cable and without locking you into specific times or DVRing.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like all these streaming services may actually get people to just buy the blu rays of their favorite shows and subscribe to only a few actual streaming services instead of subscribing for one long time show. Only those streaming services with a huge amount of original or long time content are gonna be able to hold people for long.
People will fall back to piracy

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yet Netflix poured all their money to keep boring ass Friends on the service instead. Fuck this shit.
They're the ones with the data regarding who watches what. Pretty sure they're capable of telling what's worth keeping and what's not worth keeping.

Also, there's potentially no amount of money they could have thrown at this to keep it forever.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
"Hi, pirates. Welcome back!", said the CEOs to no one.

Piracy is coming back in full force soon. Funny, the streaming services actually did put a nice dent in that culture for a while, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
NBC owns the rights to -

Friends
The Office
Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Seinfeld (not wholly owned, but they'll pony up for it)
Cheers
Frasier
Will & Grace
The Golden Girls
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

They could also probably haggle for Community (Sony-owned) and 3rd Rock from the Sun. Scrubs is owned by Disney and I highly doubt NBC wants to touch the lightning rod that is anything to do with Cosby, though.

But those are just the most notable comedies. I don't think it's going to be a standard-bearer for anyone, but an NBC owned streaming platform would definitely yank in some people on the strength of their sitcoms, especially for those of us who grew up watching them. Frasier is my go-to background show currently.

Friends, will and grace and the fresh prince are listed under warnermedia.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
IIRC NBC also has the option to pull all of their stuff from Hulu in 2021 as part of the Comcast share sale to Disney. I will be shocked if anything NBC related is left outside their own service.