• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Later seasons aren't bad but they sure miss the spark.
Fact is the finale is one of the most satisfying episodes in all TV, it's perfection.

Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't get any better. There are moments that sparkle through out the rest, some that downright made me angry and want to quit watching, but it never truly shines again without Michael Scott.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
There is a big drop off in quality somewhere around season 6. I dislike most of 7-9 although there are still some funny episodes. But the best to worst in order in my opinion are seasons 3, 2, 4, 1, 5, 6, 9, 7, 8.

Dec 31, 2017
Season 2-4 are the best ones. S5 is decent. Then afterwards it's pretty mediocre, except for season 8 which at least has robert california.

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
Season 8 with Robert California is pretty damn fantastic. Seasons 1-4 are the best, and dwindles down from there leading to Michael's departure. Season 9 is pretty bleh. Only saving grace there was the finale.

Regardless of the ups and downs, it is an infinitely re-watchable show for us. I must have seen it 40+ times start-finish now.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
seasons 5-7 are way less consistent, but there's still some gems scattered throughout
SCOTT'S TOTS

also, they ruined kevin's character in that show. i don't understand why they turned him into a fucking idiot

Nov 1, 2017
Seasons 2-4 are just as trope-y. Also it'd be way too drawn out if they kept Jim and Pam apart until the finale. (And 5 has the Michael Scott Paper Company arc, which rules)

2>3>4>5>1>7>6>>>9>8

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
S1 got a lot of flak for copypasta the UK version. Its fun comparing the lighting and tone when compared to S2+

If you don't care about any other characters beyond Michael, I would say just stop watching. The other characters new&old are what makes the show.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Haven't even met one of the best characters yet.

B9ky_74IEAAVXG6.jpg

Yeah, dispite the later seasons being trash, Robert California was incredible

Oct 25, 2017
That's ridiculous, the relationship is still there and actually evolves which is a much better way to handle it than keep it the same for the 8-9 seasons it aired.

Them struggling with Jims new job opportunity was one of the best things they wrote from them after they got together. Its the strongest part of those weaker later seasons revolving around Andy's dumb storylines.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I can't get into any of these comedy shows where the characters talk to the camera, documentary-style. I really hate it.

I also hate Jim. The whole time he's on my screen I want to punch him in the face.

Not a fan, obviously.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I've been rewatching it too and I'm up to the last few episodes before Michael leaves.

There are still some great, small character moments that are fun but some of the major stories can be a real chore. The whole thing with Andy, Erin, and Gabe was so terrible. I'm sure they weren't trying to relive the exact same story that they had with Jim and Pam but it really wasn't interesting and it was mostly terribly executed. I didn't care at all if Andy and Erin started dating eventually. And they kept leaning on Michael's jealousy issues and need to make his employees feel like family. Those two aspects of his character are fine in short bursts but I think there was a three or four episode span that centered in him being jealous of someone. After watching the entire series twice before, Michael stops being funny and just becomes too obnoxious to be tolerable to me.

I was halfway through the last Dundees episode but I'll probably switch to something else to fill the role of background noise. Those early seasons are still great and the middle seasons still have many good episodes but I guess marathoning the series has made me really dislike jerkass Michael over time.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Coming from someone who works in an office, I think you have to work in a corporate office to truly appreciate e everything the show brings to the table.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently on S5E8 "Business Trip" and there doesn't seem to be a reason to keep watching. Pam and Jim are finally together and the show has become a corporate wankfest of tropes. Hehe dwight quirky nerd xD, Jim is cool and looks at camera, Angela hates everyone so relatable xD. The first four seasons were TV perfection what happened? Michael is carrying the show on his back while the rest of the show is crumbling around him. Does it get better?

Also why is Season 1 so disliked? It was fucking awesome. I was bummed out when the show dropped that S1 direction but they turned it into their own thing and made it work.

You are at a fine stopping point. I enjoyed a lot of it past that point, but it's never as good again and sometimes awful.

S1-- I didn't like it because I had seen the UK Office, which S1 was a weak retread of. More power to those who liked it, but the original was better for those particular bits. Once it found its own voice, it improved greatly and became a different-but-equal partner with its UK cousin.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
I was working through my re-watch and I like Robert California but bailed when Nelly became manager. I can't stand Nelly.

Oct 25, 2017
They were easier to swallow when the Pam and Jim storyline was still there to tie it all together. They should've never gotten together at all or at least not until the series finale.
Worth powering through for the finale. I honestly don't consider the post Jim/Pam couple seasons to be that bad since all the elements you complain about existed there from minute 1 of the show. I also really consider the Michael/Holly arc, the Michael Scott Paper Company arc and the Charles Minor arc some of the best plot lines in the series, and these are all post Jim/Pam. The series only really takes a nosedive when Michael Scott leaves, with season 8 being the worst in the series. Season 9 puts in the work to pull out of that tailspin (although not gracefully) for a magnificent finale that always leaves my eyes welled up in a good few moments.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I think once Michael leaves , The Office actually gets a bit better again. Mostly because the show seems to go more in depth with some of the other characters instead of being the Michael, Jim, and Pam show.

I'd even rank season 9 as one of the top 3.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My favorite show. I think my favorite storyline is Jim and Dwight's friendship that grows over time. And creed.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Thread-whining.
I'm currently on S5E8 "Business Trip" and there doesn't seem to be a reason to keep watching. Pam and Jim are finally together and the show has become a corporate wankfest of tropes. Hehe dwight quirky nerd xD, Jim is cool and looks at camera, Angela hates everyone so relatable xD. The first four seasons were TV perfection what happened? Michael is carrying the show on his back while the rest of the show is crumbling around him. Does it get better?

Also why is Season 1 so disliked? It was fucking awesome. I was bummed out when the show dropped that S1 direction but they turned it into their own thing and made it work.

you just made a thread to complain about a show that's been off the air for years

just stop watching it if you dont like it. pretty simple. I dont know why we need constant "I dont like thing" threads.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely love the Office but Jim Halpert is a smug douche and generally an all around awful character. Almost as bad as Ted Mosby from HIMYM with the way he pursues relationships.

Andy is really just terrible and deserves every bit of misery after how he treats certain people.

To me, Dwight Schrute really is the heart and soul of the show if you're looking at a complete picture. Pam is probably up there with him as well.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely recommend sticking it out through the end of season 5. There's one final arc of episodes that is very good but the show drops permanently after that, with only a handful of good episodes here and there. Season 8 is absolutely dreadful.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
It should've ended on Jim and pam's wedding episode and it would've gone out as one of the best shows ever. It really fell off after that but I will say I really enjoyed the 2 part finale

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
What they did to Andy towards the end of the series was criminal and everyone involved should be ashamed.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
As far as network shows go it's up there with some of the best.

Michael Scott is very quote worthy.

Oct 26, 2017
That's ridiculous, the relationship is still there and actually evolves which is a much better way to handle it than keep it the same for the 8-9 seasons it aired.

I came in to say this. It would have been insulting for their relationship to not develop the way it did during those last two seasons.

I think the show is brilliant beginning to end

Miso

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Northen Beaches
Creed was only continuously funny one and you only use him for one or two lines an ep.

Rest of it was so warm and soft and cloying. Horrible stuff.

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely love the Office but Jim Halpert is a smug douche and generally an all around awful character. Almost as bad as Ted Mosby from HIMYM with the way he pursues relationships.

Andy is really just terrible and deserves every bit of misery after how he treats certain people.

To me, Dwight Schrute really is the heart and soul of the show if you're looking at a complete picture. Pam is probably up there with him as well.

Add me to the list of people who hate the shit out of Jim. There's little redeeming about him despite how the show tries to portray him.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The show is golden until Season 8. If you are not hooked from the characters alone by now, you should probably just give it up.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Show took a nose dive when corporate kind of disappeared. They were the more realistic backbone. The rest of the office was alright but they slowly became more and more unrealistic. When Robert California finally leaves the show, it demonstrates just how far they've gone off the deep end in terms of wackiness.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Robert California is literally the only reason to keep watching. And he's a good one! The show as a whole doesn't get better though despite him. Mainly because the show focuses heavily on Andy later on which....Andy sucks. He started well enough but in the later seasons he's indigestible

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Season 5 and 6 were good though and probably some of the better seasons of the whole series.

Season 1 is as bad as Season 9

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This "fuck Jim" thing is bizarre. Reeks of the kind of "he was designed to be the likable every man character, therefore I dislike him by default" shit.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It really goes downhill on Andy's first clone. That is, "Andy" ends up referring to like 3 or 4 different characters all played by Ed Helms and the breakneck speed with which the show subs the clones in and out makes him insufferable.

The first "Andy" you get is fine. But it gets so much worse on the next couple.

This "fuck Jim" thing is bizarre. Reeks of the kind of "he was designed to be the likable every man character, therefore I dislike him by default" shit.

I get it. Jim is the relatable but still obsessed with work character (because ultimately he's still super into all the hijinks, just his own hijinks).

Legit, the real relatable character is Oscar. Because he always smells the corporate BS and doesn't want to be involved in the zany bits from anybody.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Robert California is Jame Spaders rehearsal for Blacklist. They are almost 1 in the same.

Now as far as the office is concerned. I enjoyed it over all. Really disliked how they evolved Andys character to somewhat likable but then he became total and complete trash.

Seasons 6-9 have some drop in quality but there are still quiet a few episodes in there that are FUCKING GOLD. (Dwight and Jim snowball fight OMG). Last 4-3 episodes really close things out very very well.