• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Even vs Odd

• Even

• Odd

Results are only viewable after voting.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Balthier's vest is the best piece of clothing in the FF multiverse

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Even, easily.

I enjoy II as a sort of Black Sheep
IV is a classic
VI is my favorite
I like VIII similarly to II
X is the only one here that I don't like.
XII is Ivalice greatness
I haven't played XIV only because I'm not an MMO guy, it looks great otherwise!

Odds just don't compare.

I was my first and is still great
III is the awkward middle child of the job system entries.
V is a classic
VII (yeah it's a classic, but I think it's overrated, plus the original hasn't aged well with its Popeye 3D)
IX (I know it's Sakaguchi's fave and all, but I didn't care for it)
XI Never played it because it's an MMO
XIII and XV are bleh

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's a tough question, because if you're going by overall average of quality 13 really drags the odds down.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I guess the evens win in terms of quantity (I like IV, VI, VIII, and X), although the odds have more quality for me (VII and IX are two of my top three, and there's a big gap between my third-favourite and fourth-favourite Final Fantasy games). However, the odds literally have every game in my bottom three (I, XIII, and XV), so yikes. I'm not sure which to vote for.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I'll start off by saying I LOVE FF13 and FF15, and think they're criminally underrated.

That said, "Evens" win this, if only because they're buoyed by FF12 and FF14, which are two of my favorite games. Having FF6 on their side helps.

I dislike/borderline hate FF8 and FF10, so those do nothing to help the "Evens" case, but the combination of FF6, FF12 and FF14 is unbeatable.

For me, the only ones I have played / care about for "Odds" are 1, 3, 13 and 15. I never played the rest (5, 7, 9), and while I enjoyed 11, 14 improved on it in just about every way.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Odds:
I is a good game
III is really eh
V is a great game
VII is a fantastic game
IX is the best game
XI is a good game
XIII is a bad game
XV is a big eh game

Evens:
II is really eh
IV is a great game
VI is a great game
VIII is really eh
X is a good game
XII is a good game
XIV is a good game

I dunno I guess I'm gonna go with Odds. They've got the best a great and a fantastic. I think Evens never reaches Odds lows but also never reaches Odds heights.

Jun 11, 2019
VII and IX are my top tier and I don't hate XV so I'll probably give it to odds

XIV is a big plus for evens tho and the only other even ones I've played are IV and VI and at this point I've just come to terms that I don't care much for those games lol

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Evens. IV, VI, VIII, X, XII, XIV. That's a pretty great run right there. And this allows me to be more optimistic about XVI =D

To this day, Final Fantasy II is the only one I've never played. I really need to try it out someday.
The story is fairly good for its time! Much more focused than 1 was. Just make sure you read up on how the character development works. It's more like The Elder Scroll's "get better at specific things through practice" than a traditional XP system. It throws FF fans for a loop though when they're not expecting it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Evens by a landslide. 10 drags the evens down, but in the face of 3, 13, and 15's shittiness, it's not even a drop in the bucket.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Even wins. We got 4, 6, 8!!!, 10, 10-2, 12.

13 sucks ass, 11 is mmo garbage, 9 is good :( wish I could lump it in with evens. 7 was impressive at the time but tossed in the garbage after 8 released. 5 was better than 4 but less than 6. 3 I haven't played much but 1, while it was my first way back in the day, is straight bleh.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 are hard to beat, but 13 and 15 just sink the ship outright.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I picked Odd because of III, V, VII, IX, XI, XIII, and XV. And I love all those games more than II, IV, VIII, X, and XII.

But we all know the winner is Even with VI and XIV being the best out of the franchise hands down.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
As much as I love VII and IX, it's gotta be Evens. VI, XII, and XIV are all top tier, and even the ones I don't love (VIII and X) and the one I don't like (II) are still better than the odd's lowest points (III, XIII, XV).

Odds win. 5, 7, 9, and 15? Amazing. With the evens, you have 8, but then you're stuck with horseshit like 4 and 6.

This is the first time I've ever heard someone categorize VI as horseshit. Maybe I just have rose tinted glasses.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the 3D era, I only liked every other single player FF. 7,9,12 and 15. Which ends up making this hard. If 11 didn't throw the balance off, it would be odds easily with apologies to FF6 for trying to hold up the evens.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
V and IX or VI and XII... gotta give it to the even ones, especially since XIII and XV are low-points in the series.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Let's see... for the even ones, II is among the worst, IV is a classic, VI is a masterpiece, VIII is a weird and experimental fever dream but great nonetheless, X is also a masterpiece and my favorite in the series, I absolutely cannot stand XII, and XIV is an MMO, thus I've never played it and can't count it.

For the odd ones, I is obviously important but hasn't held up all that well IMO, III is formative gameplay-wise but a slog, I personally never cared for V, VII is an absolute classic despite its modern-day blemishes, IX is among the best in the series, I also can't count XI, I love and thoroughly enjoyed XIII, and I had a great time with XV despite its flaws.

I guess they kind of work out evenly for me, with both sets having four games I like or love. It's hard for me to choose between X and XIII because I adore them both, but X is ultimately my favorite in the series and comes with VI, IV, and VIII, which has my favorite soundtrack in the series, so I gotta go with even. Not by much, though.

Jun 1, 2019
Even with the odd numbers having 7 they still lose out to the even numbers.

4,6, 8, 10,12, and 14 are basically >>>>> the even numbers outside of 5 and 9 beating a few of the entries.

Plus the odds have 13 *pukes*

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This isn't fair, II and VIII are too goddamn heavy. VI is the best in the series, and the other evens are nothing to scoff at but the only weak links on the odds sides are XIII and maybe XV.

I'll give it slightly to the odds as while the evens have higher highs, they also have the lowest lows.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15
vs
2 4 6 8 10 12 14

My favourite are: 2-5 -7-8-11-12

So it's a tie for me!

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
I only love FF 6-10, so there are three evens and two odds, which means I voted for even.
Don't care for 1-5 and the same for 11-15 (although 12 was really close, so it's even more in favor of even).

GildedMango

Feb 6, 2018
I've tried getting into Final Fantasy but with varying success. I played 3, 9, 12, 14, and 15 and for some reason 15 was the only one I beat. 9 and 12 were good from what I played, but so far I've been liking 14 a lot (despite being overwhelmed as it's my first MMO), so I'm gonna say evens.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The odds have 5, 7, and 9

The evens have 4, 6, 8, 10, and 14

And 7 is the worst of that bunch.

The evens also have 12, which is the second or third best. Also, I don't quite agree that 7 is the worst of the odds, but it's highly overrated and not nearly as good as many of the rest from the series. Still better than 13 and 15 though.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
That's a very good topic. I believe the "weak" FF are 8, 10 and 13. While 2, 8 and 15 are fascinating messes.

I vote for odd, but barely. The only truly great even titles are 4 and 6. 12 was good.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evens for sure. 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 14 are too fucking good. Odds only really has VII and IX to help back it up. Evens has XII though which is overrated trash but the others help to overshadow it.

Last edited:

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Eh, 5 7 9 kinda carry this. The only legit great even is 6, maybe X on its best day. I'm sure Shadowbringers is the bees knees but the base game (14 itself) is kind of garbage so it's out. In fairness to it i won't bring up 11

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I've always enjoyed IV and VI the most. VIII, X, XII, and XIV are just extra gravy.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Odds have the highest highs - VII, IX

Evens are consistently strong IV, VI, VIII,X,XII,XIV

Voted Even

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Odds have the best games but also XIII

This is a tricky question isnt it