• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
https://www.occupationmovie.org
Polling shows strong global opposition to Israel's illegal 50-year occupation of Palestinian land, and mounting outrage over Israel's ongoing slaughter of unarmed Palestinian civilians who are fighting for their rights. Nevertheless, public sympathy and support for Israel within the US continues to hold strong. The Occupation of the American Mind zeroes in on this critical exception, breaking down the devastatingly effective public relations war that Israel and right-wing pro-Israel advocacy groups have been waging for decades in the US. Narrated by Roger Waters and featuring leading observers of the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, the film explores how the Israeli government, the US government, and the pro-Israel lobby have joined forces, often with very different motives and interests, to shape American media coverage of the conflict in Israel's favor. The result is a stunning look at how — and why — American media coverage of the conflict regularly minimizes the occupation, vilifies critics of Israeli policy, and dehumanizes the Palestinian people.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9hpyHbLxbE

Full film: https://youtu.be/dP0-YohJR-g

It was made available for free last year and is a must watch. It's a deep dive into the US Israel relationship.

Noam Chomsky said:
As long as the United States supports Israel, nothing's going to happen. The US government will support it as long as the US population tolerates it.

OP
OP
zer0blivion

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Some extended interview clips from experts featured in The Occupation of the American Mind:

Yousef Munayyer
Executive Director of the US Campaign for Palestinian Rights

AOC was recently called antisemitic for retweeting one of his tweets.

Max Blumenthal
Senior writer for Alternet and Nation Institute Fellow

Anyone who's ever discussed the Israeli occupation and Palestinian rights online will recognize the hasbara (propaganda) efforts talked about in this interview.

Rashid Khalidi
Professor of Modern Arab Studies at Columbia University and director of the Middle East Institute of Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs

Democracy Now! interview about the film
Amy Goodman and Nermeen Shaikh talk to Executive Producer Sut Jhally and narrator Roger Waters about The Occupation of the American Mind, including the distribution problems the film has confronted because of its criticism of US and Israeli policy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling; accumulated infractions
WOAH Op are you saying Jews control minds now how antisemetic of you

/Kirblar

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Having watched him during his latest tour, i'm definitely not surprised he would be involved in something like this.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished watching Al-Jazeera's "THe Lobby" series (USA and UK) not too long ago, so I'll try to catch this one later when I have time.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I watched a small portion of this, will continue when I have more time.

But I'd gladly bump so people are aware of this.

A genocidal state has the full support of the entire US political system minus a very small portion if outliers, protecting it from any repercussions on its crimes against humanity.

Its gotten so severe that this country gets billions of aid paid by the US tax payer despite it's economy doing exteremly well for itself, meanwhile the US itself has a ballooning debt problem that will be burdened by the US citizen at some point.

That US citizens right to boycott this genocidal state has been removed by the politicians that are supposed to represent that citizen, but are apparently more loyal to that genocidal state than thier own citizens or their own nation.

I've said all this before, I'll say this again and I'll keep saying this in every topic related to it.

The fact that this happens is insane and people being okay with it is bizzarre as fuck so I say this needs a thousand more reminders.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'm a good hour into it. And I've said it before I'll say it again, Israel is a fucking mistake. Also a neat (horrid) tidbit is that Israel masked breaking a ceasefire by having it drowned out by enacting the military campaign on the same day/time of Obama's 2004 election.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
This stuff will make you sick to your stomach.

It needs to be force fed on US airways though. I work with people that believe the area belongs to Israel "according to the Bible", and that it doesn't matter what it takes to return it to the "proper people".

It's so gross that these morons justify massacring innocent people in their own minds like that. Just brush it off, and move on.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Fuck, a half an hour into this is making is getting me seriously depressed.
That said, people need to see this.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Also, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck the US media for collaborating this bullshit.

Some Era members gleefully credit em for "sick Trump burns" but nearly all of them are nothing but PR firms for a genocidal state.

This site will hold grudges at celebrities and politicians for racist and homophobic remarks, but assisting genocide gets you small posts of "I'm disappointed in X" while if you bring up Boogie and Total Biscuit, then you'll get paragraphs of hate and venom over Gamergate.

For fucks sake, we still have Harris supporters in here, she met and kissed the ass of that genocidal maniac Natenyahu yet that's not enough for some people to put her on the same level as fucking Boogie.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Okay, so I finally watched all of it.

It's definitely a tough disheartening watch but one that should be watched because its hard.

Will make you pissed but that is the point, you should be pissed off.

I knew most of this before but doesn't make it any easier to hear.
Regardless, this definitely needs more awareness.

OP
OP
zer0blivion

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Having watched him during his latest tour, i'm definitely not surprised he would be involved in something like this.
Yeah, Roger Waters is a genuine good dude.

I'm a good hour into it. And I've said it before I'll say it again, Israel is a fucking mistake. Also a neat (horrid) tidbit is that Israel masked breaking a ceasefire by having it drowned out by enacting the military campaign on the same day/time of Obama's 2004 election.
Because they know they can get away with it as long as long as nobody's watching.
This stuff will make you sick to your stomach.

It needs to be force fed on US airways though. I work with people that believe the area belongs to Israel "according to the Bible", and that it doesn't matter what it takes to return it to the "proper people".

It's so gross that these morons justify massacring innocent people in their own minds like that. Just brush it off, and move on.
That Golda Meir quote is particularly gross.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children."
Fuck, a half an hour into this is making is getting me seriously depressed.
That said, people need to see this.
It really is a must watch.
It's not going to get it
Not with that attitude. I appreciate the bump, though.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just going to go ahead and link the thread talking about "The Lobby" so in the future if some lurker happens upon one or the other, they'll have access to both:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-lobby-unaired-aipac-documentary-by-aj.103439/

Shameful shit all around and shame on everyone for blinding themselves to this horror show and living blissfully ignorant of the mounting genocide and erasure of our democracy, aided by our so-called bff Israel. This "special relationship" has to be one of the most abusively toxic relationships humanity has witnessed in our short time on this speck of dust.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for sharing OP.

I love how any criticism of Israel in this country gets you labeled anti-Semitic. You can criticize a country without actually criticizing a religion or race. Especially when said country has used white phosphorus in Palestine and Libya. White phosphorus use is illegal.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Very timely to bring this up, OP.

Damn shame this thread is going to get the attention I expect it to, not the attention it deserves.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'll prob watch it way later lol. It already makes me mad reading and knowing what I know. I can't afford to imagine getting even more mad about things that I haven't even noticed yet...

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Very timely to bring this up, OP.

Damn shame this thread is going to get the attention I expect it to, not the attention it deserves.

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone put together an international relation/conflict thread yet? So many issues, including Israel-Palestine, are happening that do not get the coverage it deserves. South Sudan protests, Congo murders, Baghouz camp, more Ebola outbreaks in Africa, just to name a few.

OT: With the imperialist US still trying to cater to Israel, I do not think we will get a solution to this problem until something like the Omar comments do not cause uproar. Peace within the next 10 years? Maybe. We'll see what happens with the Netanyahu indictment

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone put together an international relation/conflict thread yet? So many issues, including Israel-Palestine, are happening that do not get the coverage it deserves. South Sudan protests, Congo murders, Baghouz camp, more Ebola outbreaks in Africa, just to name a few.

OT: With the imperialist US still trying to cater to Israel, I do not think we will get a solution to this problem until something like the Omar comments do not cause uproar. Peace within the next 10 years? Maybe. We'll see what happens with the Netanyahu indictment
I'd rather not have that.

Isreal, Isreali lobbyist and the politicians that pander to them benefit with the lack of awareness this issue has, a thread that jumbles all thise topics together will take away the focus on each particular topic in which most users may just visit once and feel like they've seen everything and never visit again.
Their would be zero awareness on major updates on the issues and at worst, give mods excuses to close threads on each update and forcing the conversation to a thread most wont see.

Better have focused threads on each update, that way even people who aren't active on the topic are at least aware of it through seeing the thread title.

Same goes for other conflicts such as India/Pakistan or Myanmar.

We need to spread awareness, not reduce it.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
The lack of interest in this thread and its content is an indictment against this community in my opinion

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The manner and wording of this documentary is gross. It's quite clearly using common racist arguments like "jews at war with/occupying a country", or "jews controlling the media."
If you can't make your point without invoking these disgusting anti-semitic tropes you should probably just shut up.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
The manner and wording of this documentary is gross. It's quite clearly using common racist arguments like "jews at war with/occupying a country", or "jews controlling the media."
If you can't make your point without invoking these disgusting anti-semitic tropes you should probably just shut up.
You do know finkelstien and Noam Chomsky are jews right?

So we should ignore a propaganda campaign for a genocidal state because it is Jewish there fore there are Anti Semitist undertones?

Buuuuuullshit.
You have Jewish intellectuals making this case but that doesn't stop attempts to silence this as being "anti semetic"
The US media and political system has gets heavily pressured by Isreali Lobby groups for support, that is a fact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zer0blivion

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Those quotes are your words. This documentary is quite clearly about Israel's occupation of Palestine and their propaganda campaign in the US. You are conflating the state of Israel with Jews. Good job illustrating their point about how accusations of antisemitism are used to shut down discussion and deflect legitimate criticism from Israel.

Also, I find it more than a little ironic that you use an antifa flag in your avatar.

Edit: Sorry, I think my sarcasm detector broke.

Last edited:

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018

Do you have timestamps for where in the docu these "racist arguments" are being made? Watched it and couldn't find them

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Such a perfect example of the typical shit that floats up when criticizing Israel for the manipulating genocidal apartheid state it is.

Last edited:

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
The lack of interest in this thread and its content is an indictment against this community in my opinion
Era is actually a pretty pro Palestine place in general.

Mods allow the obviously pro Israelis to derail threads as an excuse to "lock and close" the thread and thus stifle free and open dialogue. They need to do a better job of realizing they are being played or admit they are in on the ruse.

But in general this community is overwhelmingly pro Palestine.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for posting this. I honestly have heard a lot about Israel and never really knew much about what was going on.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Era is actually a pretty pro Palestine place in general.

Mods allow the obviously pro Israelis to derail threads as an excuse to "lock and close" the thread and thus stifle free and open dialogue. They need to do a better job of realizing they are being played or admit they are in on the ruse.

But in general this community is overwhelmingly pro Palestine.

I'm afraid I don't accept that. I don't even care about anybody being pro-anyone or anything besides pro-humanity. All I care is about the truth and how it is literally under constant threat and attack. Browsing through many political, and non political, threads clearly uncovers a pattern of apathy. This is less prevalent in relatively controversial topics, e.g. police brutality, as those members who will support the offenders generally know to toe the line or face bans. However, the slaughter in Yemen? The war mongering in Venezuela? Zionist Apartheid Israel etc. Those types of threads either have users coming in adding nothing to the discussion by posting "expletive xyz" or pro industrial war complex aka pro intervention types championing the destruction of yet another nation under the guise of "concern" or straight up explicit bias.

I'm not saying era should blanket ban the clear bad faith posters and "tone policestas" necessarily but the toleration and support for them is disgusting. So yeah I don't think the community is necessarily pro-truth/pro-humanity except where it suits us. That's generally a human trait/fault I understand but it should not be supported nor encouraged. People should, for example, be grateful time and effort is being put into documentaries like these to uncover and support the truth.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth a watch, but since it was made a few years ago...
I think the idea at the end that social media would help to break from this situation actually didn't worked out all that well...

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It's worth a watch, but since it was made a few years ago...
I think the idea at the end that social media would help to break from this situation actually didn't worked out all that well...
It's not exactly a complete break, but cracks are certainly starting to form thanks to it. Twitter's support of Omar surely forced the Dem leadership to back off their condemnation of her comments. It will be interesting to see how the Dem primary debates go through this.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just posting this so you can have at least one reply that understands irony.

Oct 27, 2017
I have long since accepted that Israel will be allowed to do what it wants and the whole world will be looking at it without caring.

It is such a depressing feeling not being able to stop anything that everyone knows is wrong yet it is allowed anyway.

People talk about how the world changed for the better. Palestine conflict, Yemen, the Rohingya masacre and ethnic cleansing, the Uighurstan and the many countries in the area that China is etnic cleaning. I could list more than that but my point is the world just doesn't care. All the world have done is make it easier to overlook and even support human crimes and injustice. All the technology we have and people still don't care about injustice.

I hate this world.

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like it's worth bumping this in light of recent events. This is a fantastic documentary that shows just how deep and how far back the relationship between Israel and the US goes. If you're shocked at what's been going in, this puts everything into context.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Feel like it's worth bumping this in light of recent events. This is a fantastic documentary that shows just how deep and how far back the relationship between Israel and the US goes. If you're shocked at what's been going in, this puts everything into context.

fantastic bump, will check this out