• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the point of the duel for Obi Wan was to die in front of Luke. He smiled right when Luke entered the room. For what exact reason, I do not know. To push along and guide Luke's evolution, perhaps.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Message went over OP's head and would rather have

A New Hope Very Special CG EDITION.

Along with extra 30 minutes Jaba and Han scene.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Flashy action scene wasn't what they were going for. The entire scene was Obi-Wan teaching Luke a lesson and he only did it because he had a safety net (the Force Ghost abilities) and knew he could keep guiding Luke going further. The first 'real' saber fight in the OT is Luke v Vader in Cloud City.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I thought the point of the duel for Obi Wan was to die in front of Luke. He smiled right when Luke entered the room. For what exact reason, I do not know. To push along and guide Luke's evolution, perhaps.

The point wasn't to die. It was to ensure that Vader and the stormtroopers were distracted and to ensure the gang's escape, and if he had to die for that to happen then he was willing to do it. He smiled because he saw Luke was about to escape and that his mission was accomplished.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
its way worse than the shitty ATOC ones.
"Lets tap our sticks together softly "

679912fac3c3b70cf5eee49041215121.gif

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Came to stan this. Genuinely spectacular, startling and moving.

It (Maul vs Obi Wan on Tatooine in Rebels) is by far the best duel in all of Star Wars. It wraps up a story arc that started in TPM, developed through The Clone Wars and culminated in Rebels, spanning nearly 30 years. So emotional, so true to the characters, and storytelling perfection.

Of course, if you didn't watch The Clone Wars and Rebels you wouldn't get that. :-)

As to the OP, yeah, the choreography of the duel is not great, but the story the duel is telling (and what it's setting up for Luke) is what's important.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
Yeah its fucking terrible and the lengths people go to defend it cracks me up. I think the last one I heard was that lightsabers are so powerful you cant actually do anything but the most simple movements. Fucking lol
lol on point. I get the hate for the prequels. But for the most part combats are 10x better. I guess same people must love the slow/heavy movements of Kylo Ren

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As anybody mentioned this yet ? looks impressive

If Lucas knew how big the series was going to become and how important the Obi-Wan-Vader relationship would be in the long run, yeah he probably would've made sure this moment was a lot more dramatic. It probably would've been more like what's in that video. Even without CGI, they could have used a body double for Guiness if need be.

At the time though Lucas was having a nervous breakdown just getting this movie completed and had no idea it would be a success in the way that it was. But yeah, that clip is awesome.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
After the amazing climax in episode 3 obi-wan finally meets Darth Vader and commences the most awkward encounter ever. Vader says: "hey man been a long time" obi-wan: "you're bad"(his sickest burn yet).
Uh really? He sliced your legs, burned your body and took your kids and this is what you have to say Anakin?!

Anyway, they continue to flop their lightsabers together like they never touched those things, and obi-wan does those "what's up?!?" tactical movements which the Jedi are known for, this guy was protecting Luke for 20 years after all.
Then he says "if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"
Vader should've laughed at this point. How can he be MORE powerful if he's dead?!?

Then of course he kills him because for whatever reason he decided that he had enough and Vader steps on him. The end.

If we ever should get in the situation that we watch a movie older then 20 years together, please remember that I bail the fuck out.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mr. Plinkett said it best: It´s not about fancy sword fights, it´s about the tension between two old friends who are now foes. If you want explosion and bombastic fights watch a fucking Micheal Bay movie smh

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was confused as all hell at that scene. I thought for sure he just faked his death and teleported away to make an epic appearance when all hope seemed lost. It wasn't until the end of episode 6 that the reality of what happened actually set in. As bad as the prequels were they atleast made him a great jedi.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
That's because there is more story in this short fight scene then in all of the fight scenes of the PT, bar the last Obi-Wan vs Anakin fight. It's not about the flashing lightsabers, it's about the characters. I like most of the PT choreography, but even as a kid I noticed I started to mentally zone out of the fights (especially the Maul one) on repeated viewings.

That's why the Vader-Luke fights in Empire and Return are so good, and why the Kylo - Finn - Rey -fight from TFA and especially the throne room from TLJ are so good. It's not just the fight. It's the story it tells.
I have to go against the grain on the red room fight in TLJ. Honestly Kylo Ren is a force user and he is struggling against Royal guard? The scene is good looking the fight itself has nothing really impressive. And I really hate how Kylo Ren is moving , it looks like the lightsaber weighs 300 pounds

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Plinkett said it best: It´s not about fancy sword fights, it´s about the tension between two old friends who are now foes. If you want explosion and bombastic fights watch a fucking Micheal Bay movie smh

The thing is that scene is a bit too casaul. It's even shot very blase and the lighting is very flat. I think it's obvious at that time, Lucas didn't really have a fully formed idea of the Vader-Obi-Wan relationship, and probably not even the Vader character overall.

By the time the later drafts of Empire were done, I think then things crystallized for sure, and even then things were kinda all over the place (Leia wasn't supposed to be Luke's sister).

OP
OP
MillionIII

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's supposed to be two "masters" fighting and it looks nothing like that, at least in my opinion.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's supposed to be two "masters" fighting and it looks nothing like that, at least in my opinion.

Yeah I get it. It´s an old movie with a restricted budged that nobody thought would eventually become a huge hit. I mean this whole movie was literally saved in the cut room because how awful some of the shots were. But I still think this scene is fine even if it lacks some deep explanation before and a dramatic high point after.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I personally think most of the fight scenes in Star Wars films are terrible.

What is generally considered the best one? The Darth Maul fight?

For me it's the forest fight in TFA with Finn/Rey vs. Kylo.
Great visuals, fairly simple but visceral fighting, and a powerful finish.

I also prefer the fight in the OP to anything in the prequels though. Lightsabers should be treated as deadly weapons not glow sticks at a fucking trance rave on the moon. Goddamn Yoda flips.

The scene in the OP isn't perfect, but it does actually play out near enough to the modern equivalent of samurai duels—kendo. Lots of sparring and batting at each other's weapons without risking opening their defensive stance.

Until Obi-Wan drops his guard with his come at me bro move.

Last edited:

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017

You can have both 🤷🏼‍♂️

I appreciate the tension and story driven fights, but I also enjoy watching flashy, bombastic battles. It is a movie after all, a visual medium. I'm not in it for the gritty, realistic sparring and poking, especially not in a space fantasy where the two opponents have fucking telekinetic and psychic mind powers

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with the scene.

If you overlook the retcons and the time and circumstances under which the movie was filmed it works fine.

Obiwan is old and he's basically stalling for time here. Vader is arrogant and more concerned with gloating over his former master and not even considering that Obiwan is playing the long game here and not trying to "win".

The fight distracts the troopers guarding the Falcon as soon as Obiwan sees that his mission is done he lets himself die knowing he's more useful to Luke as a force ghost.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Obi Wan was an old dude way out of practice who knew he could never beat Vader in a straight up fight. He was only trying to buy Luke time by keeping Vader occupied.

When he saw Luke was safe he basically went into prayer mode instead to become Force Jesus.

Not hard to understand the fight honestly.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Aren't Jedi's suppose to be some kind of monks, their whole thing with the force is about being Zen, them wielding light sabres would realistically be in the form of self defense and redirection instead of meaningless flipkicks, vauts and twirling your lightsaber like someone from bandcamp. It was a bit stiff yeah but also more grounded and natural.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
The original trilogy doesn't really give much catharsis or payoff for a lot of the things set up in the prequels. Watching them from Episode 1 to 6 in plot order is interesting but yeah, if that's the order they were originally released people attached to Obi Wan and Anakin (or maybe even Yoda) would be pretty upset with how they were handled.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I have to go against the grain on the red room fight in TLJ. Honestly Kylo Ren is a force user and he is struggling against Royal guard? The scene is good looking the fight itself has nothing really impressive. And I really hate how Kylo Ren is moving , it looks like the lightsaber weighs 300 pounds

Force users or not, they are outnumbered and those royal guards are probably the most elite soldiers the FO has. And I rather have my heroes struggling in a fight than something without stakes.

You also miss the point of my post. That fight scene tells us something about Rey and Kylo and there relationship. It's not just action, there is something underneath

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Aren't Jedi's suppose to be some kind of monks, their whole thing with the force is about being Zen, them wielding light sabres would realistically be in the form of self defense and redirection instead of meaningless flipkicks, vauts and twirling your lightsaber like someone from bandcamp. It was a bit stiff yeah but also more grounded and natural.
They were like that in the first movies (and kinda the sequels so far, at least with Luke) but I think most fans want them to be badass space ninjas at this point, since that's what they became in the games/prequels/EU.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lightsaber fights were better when they looked like the lightsabers had some weight to them, not that twirly, flashy for the sake of flashy video game bullshit of the PT.

Yes.

I don't know, I think it makes sense for two young, highly skilled Jedi Kights that were trained in lightsaber combat to perform like they are young and highly skilled in lightsaber combat!?

Ben is an old man and Vader is atleast 50-60% machine in A New Hope so it would make more sense for them to be slower and have to put more effort into a swing.

Aren't Jedi's suppose to be some kind of monks, their whole thing with the force is about being Zen, them wielding light sabres would realistically be in the form of self defe6nse and redirection instead of meaningless flipkicks, vauts and twirling your lightsaber like someone from bandcamp. It was a bit stiff yeah but also more grounded and natural.

Sure but then consider that Sith are not Jedi. Which means they fight more aggressively and determined. I'm sure they have to be trained for those exact situations.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to go that route, consider what actual swordfighting masters look like.

The Obi Wan/Vader fight in ANH is much closer to those than the garbage video game cutscene in RotS.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not great in terms of cool fight choreography or anything like that, it's true. That's also not the point of that scene at all.

Relatedly, I seriously just prefer OT light sabers, Jedi, Force, etc. where it's this hardly known, mysterious thing from the past. Prequels ruined that quite a bit with me.

But if people like the prequels because of the fights, action, etc. I'm not here to tell them not to like what they like. We're just very different Star Wars fans, and that's fine.
Pretty much. OP sounds like he's not even aware they weren't made in numerical order...
This is kinda brilliant.
Also 99.9% bullshit.

Nov 17, 2017
Even without the prequels, I always thought that fight was lame. I know Obi-Wan is old but it doesn't even look like they're trying to hit each other. My favorite part is when Obi-Wan spins around slowly for no reason to swing and Vader doesn't capitalize. I get what they were going for with the twirl but it's way to slow to not just be Obi-Wan turning his back to Darth Vader.

RavenGear

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I think it makes sense for two young, highly skilled Jedi Kights that were trained in lightsaber combat to perform like they are young and highly skilled in lightsaber combat!?

Ben is an old man and Vader is atleast 50-60% machine in A New Hope so it would make more sense for them to be slower and have to put more effort into a swing.

Sure but then consider that Sith are not Jedi. Which means they fight more aggressively and determined. I'm sure they have to be trained for those exact situations.
George Lucas excuse for the difference in tone and style between the fights in the PT and OT were because Obi-Wan and Vader got way worse with age while Luke did not really know what he was doing. Its a really terrible explanation that completely undermines everything that happens in the original triology.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
After the amazing climax in episode 3 obi-wan finally meets Darth Vader and commences the most awkward encounter ever. Vader says: "hey man been a long time" obi-wan: "you're bad"(his sickest burn yet).
Uh really? He sliced your legs, burned your body and took your kids and this is what you have to say Anakin?!

Anyway, they continue to flop their lightsabers together like they never touched those things, and obi-wan does those "what's up?!?" tactical movements which the Jedi are known for, this guy was protecting Luke for 20 years after all.
Then he says "if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine"
Vader should've laughed at this point. How can he be MORE powerful if he's dead?!?

Then of course he kills him because for whatever reason he decided that he had enough and Vader steps on him. The end.

Maybe...maybe the onus was on the film made 30 years after A New Hope not to undermine what we'd already seen in the original movie? It's almost like A New Hope is immutable history and Episode 3, as a prequel, had the responsibility to adhere to what we'd seen before. Almost.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
Force users or not, they are outnumbered and those royal guards are probably the most elite soldiers the FO has. And I rather have my heroes struggling in a fight than something without stakes.

You also miss the point of my post. That fight scene tells us something about Rey and Kylo and there relationship. It's not just action, there is something underneath
Ok but I don't see a fight where nothing is at stakes honestly. Qui gon dies in the fight versus Maul so you get a young Obi Wan who wants to avenge his master. Anakin got his arm chopped off in AOTC and OBI-WAN is completely neutralized by Dokku while Anakin turns to the dark side for the first time by cutting the head off of Dokku.
I get the hate again for the PT but everything is not as bad as everyone say it is. IMO

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Even without the prequels, I always thought that fight was lame. I know Obi-Wan is old but it doesn't even look like they're trying to hit each other. My favorite part is when Obi-Wan spins around slowly for no reason to swing and Vader doesn't capitalize. I get what they were going for with the twirl but it's way to slow to not just be Obi-Wan turning his back to Darth Vader.
U02Q7T.gif

"weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to go that route, consider what actual swordfighting masters look like.

The Obi Wan/Vader fight in ANH is much closer to those than the garbage video game cutscene in RotS.

Yeah, when you don't know here your opponent is supposed to hit, your actions become a lot less flashy and more knee-jerk reactions. Doesn't look as good but makes more sense.

That said, yeah that first fight is terrible and doesn't have this excuse.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
This is why Rogue One is better than the prequels will ever be. It actually respects the style of the original film and doesn't show us anything that contradicts the immutable events of A New Hope. Any retcons it introduces (such as the origin of the Death Star flaw) complement and even enhance our understanding of the original film.

Between Lucas and now JK Rowling, why is this so hard?

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
A 70 something old man who had no enthusiasm for this movie vs a guy in a bulky suit in a time where fight choreography wasn't a thing (to today's degree anyway) all directed by a guy who can barely do that. Yeah no kidding the fight isn't the greatest.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
HVqgqbx.gif

"Seem familiar? I learned this little trick from you, Darth."
Dazed by sudden remembrance, Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, was utterly disarmed for the two and a half minutes his aging master took to spin around and raise his lightsaber.

This is why Rogue One is better than the prequels will ever be. It actually respects the style of the original film and doesn't show us anything that contradicts the immutable events of A New Hope. Any retcons it introduces (such as the origin of the Death Star flaw) complement and even enhance our understanding of the original film.

Between Lucas and now JK Rowling, why is this so hard?
That, and the prequels are just fundamentally broken in terms of basic storytelling, direction, dialogue, and performance. Never mind all the ways the Prequel Trilogy doesn't square with the original movies.

Who the hell is going to look at Anakin an Obi-Wan's friendship and falling out, Anakin and Padme's relationship, or Anakin's fall and go "Gosh, that was so damn well done. Top quality drama. Just how I would have imagined it"?

Besides which, Rogue One was clearly made by people who not only appreciated the style of the OT, but grasped the human themes at the core of the series. In contrast to the PT's weird unfocused and clumsy narrative that lingers on marginal stuff when it should be developing a strong story that drives toward the key events.

Last edited: