• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Feels like there were way fewer GPU wins this drop, even on the stock tracking channels.
Thankfully, seems like AMD CPU stock is finally catching up with demand.

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
Saw several 3070's and even a 3060 TI go in stock on Bestbuy but clicking on Add to Cart button just puts you in a queue and then it goes out of stock.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
3080 went to add to cart but message saying "few more steops...wait for add to cart to appear again" and never did. This shut us crazy, I grabbed 2 PS5, 2 Series X so much simpler than any of these cards

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
I jumped on the chance to pre order a 2060 (march delivery) for £380. I was a bit concerned I was getting ripped off (and I am) but at least I'll have something... 3060s already have bids of £620 and more for what, 20% more performance? Madness

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
It was announced that resizable bar would launch with the 3060 on the 25th, but I'd imagine they didn't want to shout it from the rooftops since vbios support for the rest of their lineup isn't arriving until some time in March.

Indeed, just saw the update about it
"
Late March, NVIDIA will release downloadable VBIOS updates for all Founders Edition GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs to enable Resizable BAR, and likewise, partners will release VBIOS updates for their custom models, too.
"
videocardz.com

NVIDIA confirms Resizable BAR support on AMD Zen3 and Intel 10th & 11th Gen Core series - VideoCardz.com

GeForce RTX 30 Series Performance To Accelerate With Resizable BAR Support Our initial support for “Resizable BAR” is available now for GeForce RTX 3060 desktop graphics cards and GeForce RTX 30 Series laptops. Utilising an advanced feature of PCI Express, Resizable BAR can increase performance...

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
A local store selling the 3060 at $1.111. That's an official Zotac partner

YEAAAH I love my 1060 6gb lol

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My brother in law got a 3090 and has a 2070 Black Edition he's willing to sell me for $200 and my 1060... If this shit keeps up I might just do it.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So it's basically even with the old 2070 in both performance and perf/dollar - at MSRP which it won't hit for the foreseeable future.
Would be an okay card at MSRP, above it it just makes no sense - everyone should be looking for 3060Ti and 6800 instead.
It's also not an interesting upgrade for any 16/20 series owner, the card as it is only cater to 900 and 10 series owners.

I've managed to find ONE benchmark where 3060 12GB was beating 3060Ti 8GB thanks to it's VRAM though. 3060 was at 9 fps while 3060Ti was at 7. What an advantage that VRAM size is.

On the VRAM front, it's basically a result of the structure of the memory bus, and other bottlenecks mean that sheer capacity isn't usually a factor in bringing it closer to the Ti's performance
Sheer VRAM capacity is never a factor in a GPU's performance.

So the 1080ti I bought is better than this thing? Minus 2.1?
Minus RT and DLSS, minus most of new console generation features and minus the fact that Ampere will likely do better in future math heavy titles than 1080Ti.
If your aim is to play games like PUBG for the next couple of years then 1080Ti is better.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am at a point now where I'll have to keep running my 1080Ti till the end of the year. I tried multiple ways to get a 3080 or even a 3090 but no dice. I did have a XFX 6900 XT Merc in my cart at Best Buy and thought about it for a second, but not sure I think the 6900 XT is the card that I want and won't be happy. I may end up just trying to get a 6800 XT or 6900 XT at this point.
I am in the same boat with a 1080ti. I want a 3080, willing at this point to go for 3090 FE (had couple opportunties to do so last year, kicking myself now). I am hesitant on 6800xt or 6900xt since I really want DLSS and ray tracing performance.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly , in DF test rebar mb setting had an effect on some games, so i guess nvidia shadow-enabled it in the latest drivers, despite it being absent from the main release notes i've seen
It's officially enabled on all 3060 GPUs at launch, nothing "shadow" about it.

The last couple of drivers already support it and it should work on Zen3+400/500 chipsets and Intel 10/11 series on 400/500 chipsets.

It is currently limited to a rather short whitelist of games though:
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Battlefield V
  • Borderlands 3
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Metro Exodus
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Watch Dogs: Legion
Previously launched 30 series GPUs will need a VBIOS update to support it which should start arriving in March.

Looking at the results however I wonder if 3060 is too slow to take full advantage of ReBAR as gains seem fairly minor even in titles where you'd expect them to be significant.

Also worth mentioning that ReBAR seem to help with 1% low more than average fps (which is expected really) but that leads to some weird results in frametimes which could be viewed as 12GB VRAM advantage - while they are not. We need to wait for comparisons of 3060 12GB with GPUs with 6 and 8 GBs once they'll get ReBAR support too.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I am in the same boat with a 1080ti. I want a 3080, willing at this point to go for 3090 FE (had couple opportunties to do so last year, kicking myself now). I am hesitant on 6800xt or 6900xt since I really want DLSS and ray tracing performance.

We probably should have tried last year when it was a bit easier. I got so wrapped up with the XSX and PS5 hype that the video card went on the backburner. I agree with you on the 6000 series of AMD card, the lack of DLSS/Ray Tracing is what has me hesitant.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Will that work on a second hand card?
I don't know all the specifics of your/their purchase.. All the info I found is here. Check it out, even if you can't step it up.. $200 for a 2070 from a 1060 is an GREAT deal and worthwhile upgrade imo. Plus since it's your BiL if he's the original purchaser go through his account for the step up?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
We probably should have tried last year when it was a bit easier. I got so wrapped up with the XSX and PS5 hype that the video card went on the backburner. I agree with you on the 6000 series of AMD card, the lack of DLSS/Ray Tracing is what has me hesitant.
I even had a chance to get mildly scalped EVGA version last year for $1100... which I obviously didn't do at the time. Once again, in retrospect, should have paid the scalper.

And yeah, got XSX/PS5, both are good, I like XSX better, but would have traded both for a 3080 :).

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't know all the specifics of your/their purchase.. All the info I found is here. Check it out, even if you can't step it up.. $200 for a 2070 from a 1060 is an GREAT deal and worthwhile upgrade imo. Plus since it's your BiL if he's the original purchaser go through his account for the step up?

Do it. 3060 is essentially the same as a 2070 anyways and you can just skip all the hassle.

Yeah, I shot a message out to him. I've still got the newegg lotto but if that doesn't pan out I'll grab his 2070. Kind of wanted to keep my 1060 and make a built for my 9 year old but I'll take what I can get.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
My brother in law got a 3090 and has a 2070 Black Edition he's willing to sell me for $200 and my 1060... If this shit keeps up I might just do it.
Do it. A 2070 and a 3060 non-Ti are basically the same thing, so if you were interested in the 3060 then just get that 2070.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
They have a 3060 in stock at a Micro Center in Georgia I just need a plane ticket. They're still cheap right?

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I even had a chance to get mildly scalped EVGA version last year for $1100... which I obviously didn't do at the time. Once again, in retrospect, should have paid the scalper.

And yeah, got XSX/PS5, both are good, I like XSX better, but would have traded both for a 3080 :).

At $1100 that would have been a steal when you think back now. LOL!

I even have considered doing a PS5 and cash trade for a 3080 if it came down to it and can always get the PS5 at a later date since those are not as hard to get a hold of.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Since I ended up with a 2060 I don't have to worry about this GPU mess anymore, I can skip quite a few generations before an upgrade is enticing. Maybe things will be sorted by then.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Best buy has some listings like this one. All sold out though of course

Ah ya, I see a few of them now, for some reason they weren't showing up for me before.

That price though.... I think I'd much rather wait for the Ti to come back in stock if that's how much they're charging for 3060, considering the performance advantage the Ti has over the 3060.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Someone grabbed one from Microcenter and it's on FB Marketplace for $800.........

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm ready to finally let go of my 980 Ti.

The 3060 goes on sale here next week, but I'm not really interested for $500-600, though.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
And some sad mother fucker will pick it up, perpetuating the issue while the rest of us sulk in our own tears.
I am totally out of the loop on the GPU scalper situation. Are there really people willing to pay $800 for a $329 mid-range GPU or is this just a case of the scalpers hoping someone will pay that much?

I would think if you have $800 to burn on a GPU you would set your sights a bit higher than a 3060...

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I am totally out of the loop on the GPU scalper situation. Are there really people willing to pay $800 for a $329 mid-range GPU or is this just a case of the scalpers hoping someone will pay that much?

I would think if you have $800 to burn on a GPU you would set your sights a bit higher than a 3060...

The thing you would actually pay $800 in a normal market for is probably nearly $2000+ usd now in that same scenario. It just doesn't affect the new shit, it causes a ripple and causes the prices of EVERYTHING on the market to go through the roof. This RX580 in my PC that I don't even use at the moment I bought for like $249 after waiting over a year for the last mining craze to subside has gone to being up to $800+ on newegg for example. Probably well over 4x times its value since its a few years old. If you absolutely need a GPU within a certain performance spec, within a certain timeframe you basically have no choice but to get price gouged. People are probably getting whatever they can get at the best price possible instead of what they should be able to get for their money.

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle

The post above you stated it far better than I could have.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I currently have a case fan strapped to the bottom of my 1060 because both fans have died. was really hoping the stock issue wasn't FUBAR yet again. oh well