• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Seems underwhelming, basically bumps it up a tier. I was expecting closer to 2070 Super than 2070. Nvidia kind of did that to themselves with how bunched up everything was with Turing.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
So how's the stock situation with the 3060 this time? Are scalpers grabbing this one too? It's just fascinating to see how much times have changed, I remember when $350 would get you the top tier card in a line up lol Thank God I managed to grab a 3070 for MSRP.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, it's pretty bad at that price. Not good value at all.
Well, slight correction, it's great at this time for MSRP if you have 1060-1070 or lower. Now, in a year, not so much (if chip shortages, scalpers and miners get somehow resolved). A 2060 is selling for crazy prices right now, so 3060 for MSRP is not bad at all.

It's a weak card overall, but considering the current market, it's pretty good.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Seems kinda bad, going to ride out my RX580 for another year and hope a 3060 Super can be had with performance closer to the Ti.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Well, slight correction, it's great at this time for MSRP if you have 1060-1070 or lower. Now, in a year, not so much (if chip shortages, scalpers and miners get somehow resolved). A 2060 is selling for crazy prices right now, so 3060 for MSRP is not bad at all.

A fair point, I'm judging it based on relative 3060Ti and next-gen console performance.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

also, there was a stronger version of this card that Nvidia decided not to put out. it definitely would have reviewed better

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Even at msrp, compared to other cards msrps, this isn't a great value card when you look at the gulf in performance between it and the 3060 ti for $70 msrp more. It only compares favourably if you compare the 3060 at msrp to other cards at used market prices which isn't a sensible comparison.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
i have not found a single game yet in any review where it outperformed the 2070s

Insanely, Red Dead Redemption 2 at 1080p https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-3060-xc/23.html

Not at 1440p or 2160p though.

Looks like a good upgrade for someone with a 1060. Not so much if they were already on the 20 series.

Yeah, if you can get one below $400 or at MSRP, it's a good card. When the 2070 launched it performed pretty much like the 1080, with time and improvements, it got better.

This gets pretty close to a 1080Ti on average, but beats it in games that takes advantage of the Ampere architechture like Shadow of The Tomb Raider. And it's before factoring in DLSS.

If I were on a 1080Ti, 2070 or 2060 Super, I wouldn't care about this card. From a 1070 or below? seems like a solid upgrade IF you can find one for less than the 3060Ti MSRP

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Today's Newegg Shuffle starts an hour earlier than normal (Noon ET)

3060 Bonanza, also a 3070 and a PS5 bundle on the raffle

www.newegg.com

Popular Product Drawing Event | Newegg.com

Checkout Newegg’s popular product drawing queue. Enter your product of choice, submit your email, and wait to see if you win! All customers who win will be given the chance to purchase highly popular products.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
The gap to the Ti is too big, better to save your money a bit longer and buy the tier up.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
You just made the comparison that I said in my post wasn't sensible lol
The issue is its crazy times right now :(. So if one is looking to get a video card and 3060 performance is within the range.... it's not a bad option IF it can be obtained for MSRP. 3060Ti and up is basically unavailable unless you are really good with the bots yourself.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I guess that depends on whether or not the 3060 manages to stay relatively available at MSRP. We don't have to wait long to find out at least.

I think it would be verrrrrry wishful thinking to think that it would. I mean anything can happen I guess but it makes more sense to assume that it will barely be available at msrp given how the past six months have been.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping to see some benchmarks for Nvidia's resizable bar support which also launched today, but I guess they only had so much time to get these reviews ready. I'm not expecting any better results than AMD and Intel's resizable bar support though.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I was hoping to see some benchmarks for Nvidia's resizable bar support which also launched today, but I guess they only had so much time to get these reviews ready. I'm not expecting any better results than AMD and Intel's resizable bar support though.
Eurogamer / Digital Foundry looked at three games. BF5 saw circa 15% improvement, whereas the other two (Metro Exodus and Watchdogs) saw more like a 3% improvement. Still, all in all pretty impressive, keeping in mind how limited support currently is.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
And still I'm skeptical after seeing the review for the 3060. What's the 12gb for?

Here is what Eurogamer/Digital Foundry had to say about that:

"But for that money, we do get something quite special: 12GB of GDDR6 memory, compared to just 8GB on the RTX 3060 Ti and RTX 3070 - and come to think of it, that's even more than the 10GB of GDDR6X memory on the RTX 3080! So what's going on here? Well, the answer is pretty nerdy: it has to do with the 192-bit memory bus on the 3060. The simple explanation is that this bus is split into 32-bit chunks, each of which can access one 1GB or 2GB module of GDDR6. If you divide 192 by 36, you get six - so you can either have 6GB of RAM or 12GB of RAM, depending on whether 1GB or 2GB memory modules are used on the card. Nvidia opted for 2GB modules for 12GB in total, so here we are!"

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer / Digital Foundry looked at three games. BF5 saw circa 15% improvement, whereas the other two (Metro Exodus and Watchdogs) saw more like a 3% improvement. Still, all in all pretty impressive, keeping in mind how limited support currently is.

I wonder how long until vbios updates start dropping for the other 30 series cards. I've seen March thrown around.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Going to dive into the videos. As a 1060 owner, this was the new RTX card I was aiming at from the Nvidia line up.

I won't be getting one now or anytime soon but interested to see the performance.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Interestingly , in DF test rebar mb setting had an effect on some games, so i guess nvidia shadow-enabled it in the latest drivers, despite it being absent from the main release notes i've seen

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
Today's Newegg Shuffle starts an hour earlier than normal (Noon ET)

3060 Bonanza, also a 3070 and a PS5 bundle on the raffle

www.newegg.com

Popular Product Drawing Event | Newegg.com

Checkout Newegg’s popular product drawing queue. Enter your product of choice, submit your email, and wait to see if you win! All customers who win will be given the chance to purchase highly popular products.

Doesn't work for me. Logged in but "Enter the Shuffle" button doesn't work when making any selection.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Due to the memory bus the card uses they had the choice of 6gb or 12gb, and nobody should be selling 6gb cards any more.
Here is what Eurogamer/Digital Foundry had to say about that:

"But for that money, we do get something quite special: 12GB of GDDR6 memory, compared to just 8GB on the RTX 3060 Ti and RTX 3070 - and come to think of it, that's even more than the 10GB of GDDR6X memory on the RTX 3080! So what's going on here? Well, the answer is pretty nerdy: it has to do with the 192-bit memory bus on the 3060. The simple explanation is that this bus is split into 32-bit chunks, each of which can access one 1GB or 2GB module of GDDR6. If you divide 192 by 36, you get six - so you can either have 6GB of RAM or 12GB of RAM, depending on whether 1GB or 2GB memory modules are used on the card. Nvidia opted for 2GB modules for 12GB in total, so here we are!"

Is it just cheaper to use than using 256 memory bus? For $70 I should just get the 3060 ti but that can't happen because the shit that's been going on, so they got us there

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
There is a newegg shuffle for these but it doesnt seem possible to enter, the enter shuffle button is greyed out. lol

EDIT: I can't read, by selection period they mean you can select not them selecting winners. Newegg is whack with wording lol

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
This card seems kind of shitty with current jacked pricing? In January of 2019 I bought I an RTX 2070 for $450 off of Newegg and this GPU performs not massively better with +4gb's of vram, and most the models are around or over $450. If you could actually buy it at MSRP it's fine but these jacked up prices don't do the lowest end model any favors.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah? Never read about that.

I think the 3060 has too much VRAM and not enough Cuda Cores. It gets a more "meh" reaction from me.
yea, it seems there was a rejiggering of product lines at some point. and then rejiggered further to get us the 3060 but with the lower core amount

Sep 6, 2020
So sick of this. I want to do a new build this year (current 970 owner). The ecosystem is incredibly confusing to a newcomer, but hey, at least I can't actually buy anything.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Im still running a launch 1080. Would the 3060 be a bit of an upgrade as I'm still 1080p gaming? I was thinking of waiting and getting a 3070 but I might go with the cheaper option if I get the chance at some point. It seems like a good card, I'm just now sure if the benefit over a 1080 is drastic enough.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I want it but don't. 12 gigs is nice since I use a lot of photography apps such as set a light studio and anything is better than 960, but trying to fight for a card sucks.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Eurogamer's price says starting from £299 but when you click most of the links they're £499 to £521. How about no.