• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...icans-not-having-sex-has-reached-record-high/

The share of U.S. adults reporting no sex in the past year reached an all-time high in 2018, underscoring a three-decade trend line marked by an aging population and higher numbers of unattached people.

But among the 23 percent of adults — or nearly 1 in 4 — who spent the year in a celibate state, a much larger than expected number of them were 20-something men, according to the latest data from the General Social Survey.

Experts who study Americans' bedroom habits say there are a number of factors driving the Great American Sex Drought. Age is one of them: The 60-and-older demographic climbed from 18 percent of the population in 1996 to 26 percent in 2018, according to the survey. The share reporting no sex has consistently hovered around 50 percent, and because that age group is growing relative to everyone else, it has the net effect of reducing the overall population's likelihood of having sex.

At first this seems fine.

But changes at the other end of the age spectrum may be playing an even bigger role. The portion of Americans 18 to 29 reporting no sex in the past year more than doubled between 2008 and 2018, to 23 percent.

CZ7BKRGJQVARDOMZIA6XWUI5OY.png

Oh maybe young men and women are experiencing the same problem.

4C7SSBIXSNFCLOJIGCWUOKDYTY.png

It is definitely going up for young women but relatively it isn't significant enough.

Personally I think young men need tools at their disposal to live a more independent lifestyle. The millennial trend of living with parents must be having significant effects on their sex life compared to women forced to do the same.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Smashing and sitting at the breakfast table with your family later is one of the most awkward things in life.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
That trend from 2008 to 2018 for men is nuts. The rise of social media and dating apps is having a massive impact.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Worrisome, but I don't see how this is going to improve anytime soon really.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of sounding like an old man, I do believe at least part of this could be attributed to social media and the internet as a whole which sometime drives and even encourages anti-social attitudes/behaviors.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of sounding like an old man, I do believe at least part of this could be attributed to social media and the internet as a whole which sometime drives and even encourages anti-social attitudes/behaviors.

I think the anti-social attitudes come from a combination of things, but part of it has to be rejection/frustration with the way things are going. The rise in men greatly outpaces women, so it stands to reason that some men are doing better than ever thanks to social media/dating apps, while others get left behind.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Online dating + general anti-social attitude becoming more "mainstream" = less sex.

I think young people nowadays are filtering a lot more people as potential sexual partners, again as a result of online dating/apps. They develop sort of impossible/unhealthy standards and methods of dating

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Smashing and sitting at the breakfast table with your family later is one of the most awkward things in life.

Especially since most parents are bad at it. Even among parents who can be easy to talk to sex about still will create awkwardness because they still are your parents.

"Did you remember to use a condom son?"

Yes mom.

"The best parts about sex are post sex talk with your mom son. I hope you are building bonds instead of just kicking her out of the bed."

*seethes*

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

You are being too hasty. It turns out young adults in the low 20s have lower consumption of social media than low 30s. I think they are more suspicious of the hooks and traps.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Bro you gotta send the anus picture along with the dick pic to impress and get the chicks these days.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine a lot of these are not by choice but instead people are just ugly and/or awkward. Definitely harder for ugly dudes with the trend towards online dating.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
I thought the ease of dating with apps and such resulted in more sex?

You'd expect that, but it seems to have had an opposite effect on both men and women, although more significant on the former. I'm sure there will be studies about this, but if I remember correctly from the stats published by OkCupid, it seems like a small proportion of people benefit (the most attractive) benefit the most in terms of new social contacts made, and this is not proportionally distributed as you'd expect, as in the less attractive someone is the proportionally less new social contacts they get, but instead there's a huge jump where a small subsector of the population get a lot, and the rest get very little.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I imagine a lot of these are not by choice but instead people are just ugly and/or awkward. Definitely harder for ugly dudes with the trend towards online dating.

It's definitely part of it. Was for me. Is for me actually.

Even though I now have a girlfriend, it's been a year and a half for me, though I could have probably slept with a girl who likes me but the feelings aren't mutual that way. I previously had an 11 year break between

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is incredibly lonely, this isn't the first thread on resetera I wanted to see this morning :(

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'd like to hope it also has something to do with the fact that women now are more empowered to simply say no.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like the US is following Japan's lead.

nah it's different. in the west no one wants to fuck anyone who isn't an Instagram model and rather spend their time reaching for the impossible fruit.
in japan no one fucks because they rather spend their time at work and alone with anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.