• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

The five part miniseries 'The North Water' premieres on Thursday, July 15 on AMC+. A co-production with BBC Studios, the series will air later this fall in the UK. The series was filmed primarily in Hungary, but filmed their ice pack sequences on the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard. They traveled 81 degrees north to shoot in what was the furthest point north a drama has ever been filmed before.

Trailer

Based on the acclaimed novel by Ian McGuire, the five-part series tells the story of Patrick Sumner, a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as ship's doctor on a whaling expedition to the Arctic. The ferocity of the elements, however, is matched by the violence of his crew mates, with Drax, a harpooner and a brutal force of nature. As the true purpose of the expedition becomes clear, confrontation between the two men erupts, taking them on a journey far from solid ground and beyond the safe moorings of civilization.

Andrew Haigh (Weekend, 45 Years) directed the series.

Cast

Colin Farrell as Henry Drax
Jack O'Connell as Patrick Sumner
Stephen Graham as Captain Brownlee
Tom Courtenay as Baxter

CdcBc4e.jpg

FQkqNRF.jpg

8thITSo.png

usfRoPK.jpg

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going in blind just because you mentioned Terror S01.

(We don't talk about S02 in this house.)

That and I'll watch mostly anything with Farrell.

Thanks, OP!

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i'm really keen to watch this but i have no idea where this is available to stream in Germany. can't find it any where. usually AMC and HBO stuff can be found on Sky Deutschland but nothing there

anyone from germany have any idea?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
So, did anyone watch the first episode yet? Curious about impressions, since it doesn't look like it'll be showing in Sweden for some time.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten a chance to watch yet, but the overall consensus seems to be that its a well made and competent show - one that's also fairly predictable for anyone familiar with the "19th century grizzled breaded men go north on a ship and battle against the elements...and each other" genre.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this book recommended while looking for books similar to The Terror and found out this series just started. Probably will give it a watch after I read the book.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
So is this the same story as the terror? The trailer looks very similar minus the bear.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to checking this out soon. Great director, premise and cast here

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This book was pretty gnarly and yeah, has a lot of parallels to The Terror. And a little Cormac McCarthy with Drax. Did feel a little conventional at times but I read The Terror about a year prior, so I'm sure that didn't help.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
yeah definitely reminded me of terror season 1
already interested in the setting and backstory

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm not really down for AMC plus as a streaming option, although I did pick it up for a couple months for Gangs of London, but I may have to snag it again soon. This and a couple of other good looking shows are popping up on there

The Terror was largely virtual, believe it or not. They did incredible VFX work on that show.
I watched something on it somewhere and was pretty blown away. I never would have guessed it was all set even had I looked for it

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
This is a really well made show, never heard of the book so i'll see how it pans out but i like it so far.

I knew the actor for Drax was familiar somehow but i never realized it was Farrell. I didn't check any trailer or promo for it, i went totally blind.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
fuck me episode 4 was insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is really good stuff, really scratches the same itch as the terror. And man, Colin Farrell is a hulking bear in this

thanks for making the thread

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
It's fun to watch this show remembering Colin Farrell was the Ryan Gosling of the early-mid 00's.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I really want to watch this but I can't bring myself to sub to AMC plus again. I had it briefly for Gangs of London but it kind of sucks subbing for only one show. On the other hand I'm impatient and like to watch things the min they drop

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I really want to watch this but I can't bring myself to sub to AMC plus again. I had it briefly for Gangs of London but it kind of sucks subbing for only one show. On the other hand I'm impatient and like to watch things the min they drop

Ultra City Smiths is on there too!

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Was that Lady Silence at the end of the last episode 😲

Just finished watching the episode tonight and yes it was the same actress. Had the priest been crozier that would have been wild.

I'm guessing a Drax encounter will be the finale and everyone will die as foretold in that dudes dream. I'm surprised how similar this is to the terror though. Even some shots are done near identical.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
just watched the finale
i dunno man, i unironically felt last episode was the weakest
the climax between patrick and henry was underwhelming
things moved too fast

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
Bumping thread because this is finally on BBC. We're 3 episodes in and I'm loving it so far. Anyone else watching?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Uh wtf. Why did this come and go with no fanfare? Just binged it and I thought it was a great series! Didn't even know about it until yesterday. Very well directed! Shocked it's from the guy who made Looking, which was so dull.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uh wtf. Why did this come and go with no fanfare? Just binged it and I thought it was a great series! Didn't even know about it until yesterday. Very well directed! Shocked it's from the guy who made Looking, which was so dull.
Because it's exclusive to AMC+, a streaming service with 3 subscribers.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I enjoyed it, but it felt like it could have gone somewhere else, somewhere further.. but I guess that's on the book.

Very competently made, but also very 'ordinary' as in.. I think I've seen this story a hundred times? I probably haven't, but it feels like I have.

Ending was very.. quick? 🦘

🐐 The ice bear imagery, hmm.. I wish they did more with the whale imagery? I wonder if they consulted with indigenous people from the area for the story and portrayal. Didn't seem too bad?

🦏 But it is a story once again about white men raping and pillaging.

Can someone else here explain what kind of feeling or sensation they get from this kind of story?

I get the whole tension thing. It's pretty tense at times. But I also really don't get it. Or I get that it's some kind of contemplation on imperialism, violence, evil, good actions/evil actions.... and money.

But at the same time...... I kind of wonder what it is. It's also a period/costume drama, so I guess it came also from a love of/interest in the period and the swanky aesthetics. 🐔

Hmm. These kinds of stories really just help to desensitize me to more violence, rape and pillage. Nothing in this show surprised me? It was very like, of course he did every single one of the most abhorrent things you can imagine. Of course.

I just wonder what I got from it, except from a bit of cool visuals and some escapism. I wish it tried for more, or that I could understand it on a deeper level.

edit: I guess maybe that's what it's about? Being inundated to cruelty? And cruelty being the only way out? I dunno. 🐳

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I though Colin Ferrel was great in this, every time he was on I was nervous about what he would do.

But ultimately I dont think I got much out of it and it made me go back and rewatch the Terror and boy am I glad it did. They need to do right by that show after that second season.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
why isn't jack o'connell in more things. he's great in this, skins, starred up etc