• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 6, 2017
US
I'd love to get into these games but I hear they're absolutely the hardest of the Soulsborne-esque genre.

I can only speak for Nioh 1 but I thought the difficulty can vary wildly. It's less consistent and less polished in terms of difficulty curve in my opinion but you can also OP yourself with equipment way easier than in Souls games due to the massive amounts of loot. Thing is, the game is a lot more "bite-sized" with some side missions levels being super short so even when you fail horribly it's often not really an epic trek back.

Overall, if you like Souls games in terms of difficulty I'd honestly say you're fine. It's more up-and-down than those games but it's also incredibly addictive and the combat is awesome. Biggest tip I can give you is if you get into Nioh...just do yourself a favor and don't play it like Souls even though it walks and talks like it seemingly at first. Really engage with, and learn, the stance switching, combos and Ki Pulse, it's so much fun and makes you feel like a bad motherfucker once you get the hang of it.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can only speak for Nioh 1 but I thought the difficulty can vary wildly. It's less consistent and less polished in terms of difficulty curve in my opinion but you can also OP yourself with equipment way easier than in Souls games due to the massive amounts of loot. Thing is, the game is a lot more "bite-sized" with some side missions levels being super short so even when you fail horribly it's often not really an epic trek back.

Overall, if you like Souls games in terms of difficulty I'd honestly say you're fine. It's more up-and-down than those games but it's also incredibly addictive and the combat is awesome. Biggest tip I can give you is if you get into Nioh...just do yourself a favor and don't play it like Souls even though it walks and talks like it seemingly at first. Really engage with, and learn, the stance switching, combos and Ki Pulse, it's so much fun and makes you feel like a bad motherfucker once you get the hang of it.
Thanks for the write up. Yeah, I like the idea of stance switching. I liked it in Ghost of Tsushima but I know it's going to be a lot harder here, lol.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the write up. Yeah, I like the idea of stance switching. I liked it in Ghost of Tsushima but I know it's going to be a lot harder here, lol.
Also important thing to note, level design is trash and enemy variety is non existent. At least in 1. The boss fights and the sheer number of options and quality of combat systems is what makes this game great.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nioh stance system is bounds above Ghosts, its actually engaging while in Ghost you just slap that "right" one on and spam heavy attack
Sweet, sounds good. I am hoping this is not a difficult to find game - a physical edition, that is.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the 120fps the only addition in this remaster ? If you have a ps5 as movie mode was unlocked framerate 4k, it's already 4k60 now. I have both 1 and 2 with all dlc. Will gladly take 2 for cheap upgrade but if the first one has no upgrade I won't buy it for 60 bucks

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Nice. I guess I'll get the PS5 version of Nioh 2 for free. Not sure I'll actually play it, though.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Also important thing to note, level design is trash and enemy variety is non existent. At least in 1. The boss fights and the sheer number of options and quality of combat systems is what makes this game great.

Actually the reason I never picked up Nioh 2. My main criticisms were the repetitive level designs and often boring encounter designs that consisted mostly of 'here's MORE of these dudes lol' and I felt like the Nioh 2 demo somehow managed to double down on that nonsense instead of even vaguely addressing it. Really disappointing.

Nov 24, 2020
Tampa, Fl
Can't wait didn't pick up Nioh 2 on launch, but I got plat on Nioh 1 so don't really want a remaster of that. Picked 2 up for 10 bucks and have the season pass, hopefully that 120fps mode isn't a bs advertisement like dmc 5 special edition was.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to get into these games but I hear they're absolutely the hardest of the Soulsborne-esque genre.
They definitely have so real big spikes, Nioh has really well implemented co-op though, if that's more your thing, which can make some of the hardest bosses a joke (not all though, some are only solo-able) as the player characters are a lot more powerful then the typical Souls character too. Definitely recommend Nioh 1 in co-op for newcomers to Souls games.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The Nioh games are harder to play than the Souls games simply due to the fact that the learning curve is steeper. Each weapon type has a unique moveset with its own skill tree and each stance has its own move set as well, so there's basically 3 movesets per weapon. And there's a ton of finger acrobatics due to the Ki Pulsing, stance switching, Ki fluxing, etc. So in that sense they are 'harder'.

But I honestly believe that, at least on the default difficulty, they are easier, or at least can be, because of how overpowered your character can become, mostly due to the gear you get mid and late game. Nioh has a Diablo-style loot system, and once you know what you're doing you actually have to go out of your way not to break the game.

Is the 120fps the only addition in this remaster ? If you have a ps5 as movie mode was unlocked framerate 4k, it's already 4k60 now. I have both 1 and 2 with all dlc. Will gladly take 2 for cheap upgrade but if the first one has no upgrade I won't buy it for 60 bucks

This version is probably native 4K, at least on some of the modes. Nioh 2 uses checkerboard reconstruction to reach 4K and I think it looks pretty awful, with tons of artifacts. Maybe there'll be other improved bells and whistles. I love Nioh 2, but it's not a looker and it needs any help it can get.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Team Ninja put a uncut gameplay video of the PS5 CE Version yesterday on their twitter/youtube (on phone outside right now so I can't link it). Looked the same other than even faster loading / PS5 prompts.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's crazy seeing people list nioh as really hard, at least within the context of souls style games. It's challenging, but I'm not gonna lie about how much of the game I completely cheesed with the high stance hammer heavy attack and using it to stagger everything and shatter horns in 1-2 hits. It's still a challenging game, but it's wild how much you could get away with on the right builds. This changes on higher difficulties, but is that really what everyone is trying it on and bouncing off of?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Team Ninja put a uncut gameplay video of the PS5 CE Version yesterday on their twitter/youtube (on phone outside right now so I can't link it). Looked the same other than even faster loading / PS5 prompts.
So it's just 60 vs 120 FPS and faster loading. Then I'll grab 2 for free / cheap and keep my first one at 4k60. Thx

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Having platted both Nioh games, I find them to be the easiest of the Soulsborne titles. Don't get me wrong, the games are definitely quite hard BUT you can always grind to become over-leveled or easily summon help.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
When is the PS5 Patch releasing? Bought the Season Pass in the winter sale for Nioh2 and want to platin the game on PS5.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
So I absolutely should not pull the trigger on the remastered collection until we know whether US folks can upgrade 2 for a small fee?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So just to double check: I own Nioh 1 digitally (plus season pass) on PS4, don't own anything from Nioh 2.

So the collection that has both games would be the best option for me, right?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Any word for the upgrade patch for Nioh 1 complete? I owned the base game and season pass.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
So just to double check: I own Nioh 1 digitally (plus season pass) on PS4, don't own anything from Nioh 2.
If you want the remastered versions of the complete editions of both games, sure. Just be aware that you'll be paying full price, as there is no uprade path to Nioh Remastered Complete Edition.

Any word for the upgrade patch for Nioh 1 complete?
As said above, there is no upgrade path to Nioh Remastered Complete Edition.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have both games, season pass or whatever for the first game, have barely touched either of them. Will likely pick this up now. LOL

Jul 26, 2018

If you want to replay 1, yeah. I opted for getting 2 for 25 on PSN and I'm waiting for the season pass to go on sale again (it was 13 once and my dumbass didn't jump on it)

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I was checking out a PC Nioh 2 stream last night and it seems to be locked at 60?
PC Features:
- Full Mouse & Keyboard customisation
- Gamepad compatibility
- 4K Ultra-HD support*
- Ultra Wide-Screen compatibility*
- HDR & 144Hz monitor support*
- Consistent 60/120 FPS*

*Requires a monitor/PC components that support these modes.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Do we know if there will be a patch for the PC version of Nioh 1 that removes the stupid 60 FPS cap?

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's crazy seeing people list nioh as really hard, at least within the context of souls style games. It's challenging, but I'm not gonna lie about how much of the game I completely cheesed with the high stance hammer heavy attack and using it to stagger everything and shatter horns in 1-2 hits. It's still a challenging game, but it's wild how much you could get away with on the right builds. This changes on higher difficulties, but is that really what everyone is trying it on and bouncing off of?
I mean in most games like this you can always find some way to cheese the game, that's not really a good way to judge the difficulty for the average person.

I haven't played Nioh 2 yet, but what made me bounce off the first game was less about the actual difficulty and more about the complexity of the game. Having multiple stances each with various combos and specific moves PER WEAPON TYPE and the ki recovery mechanic alone make the game MUCH less approachable than most souls style games. It's easy to feel overwhelmed just trying to figure out HOW to properly make use of everything you can do, without resorting to just cheesing the game, and that takes away from the enjoyment of the game. That's my experience, anyways.

Jul 26, 2018
People saying "lol you can cheese the game"...y'all do understand a large subset of players play normal and will just use the tools the game gives them as they see fit.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if I should get this on PC or PS5. On one hand there's Ultrawide at 144hz support on PC and the other PS5 with trophies (don't care about steam achievements) and comfy couch gaming.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
It's free for PS4 Nioh 2 owners.

From the PS5 listing on the US store https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-PPSA02487_00-NIOH2CE000000000:
If you already own the PS4™ version of this game, you can get the PS5™ digital version at no extra cost and you do not need to purchase this product.
What makes me a bit hesitant is that this is how it works in Japan:
* Upgrading from Nioh 2 Complete Edition (PlayStation 4) to Nioh 2 Remastered Complete Edition (PlayStation 5) is completely free.
* Upgrading from Nioh 2 (PlayStation 4) to Nioh 2 Remastered Complete Edition (PlayStation 5) is possible, but you need to pay a small fee to upgrade the base game and additional fees for each piece of DLC you might want to upgrade.

At first glance, your link does make it sound like the upgrade will be free either way in the States (which is a possibility indeed, and would certainly be nice), but I have to wonder what they mean exactly by "the PS4™ version of this game". Are they referring to Nioh 2 Complete Edition? The regular Nioh 2? Both?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
So is it a "Control" situation where purchasing the base game and all DLC didn't translate to owning the Ultimate Edition? Or can I buy the Season Pass and get the next gen upgrade that way?

Jul 26, 2018
What makes me a bit hesitant is that this is how it works in Japan:
* Upgrading from Nioh 2 Complete Edition (PlayStation 4) to Nioh 2 Remastered Complete Edition (PlayStation 5) is completely free.
* Upgrading from Nioh 2 (PlayStation 4) to Nioh 2 Remastered Complete Edition (PlayStation 5) is possible, but you need to pay a small fee to upgrade the base game and additional fees for each piece of DLC you might want to upgrade.

At first glance, your link does make it sound like the upgrade will be free either way in the States (which is a possibility indeed, and would certainly be nice), but I have to wonder what they mean exactly by "the PS4™ version of this game". Are they referring to Nioh 2 Complete Edition? The regular Nioh 2? Both?
From the PS Blog

"Players that own Nioh 2 on PS4 can upgrade to the base game – Nioh 2 Remastered on PS5, and receive the PS5 version of any DLC expansions they own on PS4."

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
So is it a "Control" situation where purchasing the base game and all DLC didn't translate to owning the Ultimate Edition? Or can I buy the Season Pass and get the next gen upgrade that way?
If we're talking about Nioh 2 (again, there is no upgrade path for the first game), you will be able to upgrade the game. That has been confirmed.
The only thing that's a bit vague to me at the moment is whether or not it will be 100% free, as Japanese players in your situation will need to pay a (very small) fee. It might be something that's strictly Japan-specific. I don't know.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
From the PS Blog

"Players that own Nioh 2 on PS4 can upgrade to the base game – Nioh 2 Remastered on PS5, and receive the PS5 version of any DLC expansions they own on PS4."
This is what I'm seeing:
For those of you who are looking to continue your demon slaying journey in Nioh 2 onto PlayStation 5 from your PlayStation 4, there are two upgrade routes for you to take:
  • Players that own Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition on PS4 can upgrade to Nioh 2 Remastered – The Complete Edition on PS5 at no additional cost.
  • Players that own Nioh 2 on PS4 can upgrade to the base game – Nioh 2 Remastered on PS5, and receive the PS5 version of any DLC expansions they own on PS4.
blog.playstation.com

The Nioh Collection announced for PS5, launches next February

Celebrate the franchise’s 4-year anniversary with remastered editions of both games featuring 4K and up to 120FPS support.

Note that they don't specify "at no additional cost" for the second upgrade route, which may or may not mean that the situation is the same as what I described above for Japan...

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Wonder if I should get this on PC or PS5. On one hand there's Ultrawide at 144hz support on PC and the other PS5 with trophies (don't care about steam achievements) and comfy couch gaming.

I already own the game and season pass on PS4 but didn't hesitate to buy the complete edition on PC. Ultrawide 120 fps Nioh 2 is going to be glorious!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This is what I'm seeing:

blog.playstation.com

The Nioh Collection announced for PS5, launches next February

Celebrate the franchise’s 4-year anniversary with remastered editions of both games featuring 4K and up to 120FPS support.

Note that they don't specify "at no additional cost" for the second upgrade route, which may or may not mean that the situation is the same as what I described above for Japan...
How this reads, at least to me, is that you get the PS5 upgrade free regardless. Your DLC is basically cross-buy. Granted, I bought the steelbook edition back during the summer for $40, so it has the game disc and the season pass, but anyone owning the game only should be able to play the game as-is.

I'm honestly not sure the circumstances as to why Japan has to pay an upgrade fee, perhaps market rules prevent it, who knows, but it's been pretty clear so far that the game has a free upgrade outside of Japan, at least in the US. Nioh 1 not getting an upgrade kind of makes sense, though, given the age of the original and that it's been made free digitally via PS+ before.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
How this reads, at least to me, is that you get the PS5 upgrade free regardless. Your DLC is basically cross-buy. Granted, I bought the steelbook edition back during the summer for $40, so it has the game disc and the season pass, but anyone owning the game only should be able to play the game as-is.

I'm honestly not sure the circumstances as to why Japan has to pay an upgrade fee, perhaps market rules prevent it, who knows, but it's been pretty clear so far that the game has a free upgrade outside of Japan, at least in the US.
That's also what I'm betting on, personally, especially considering this has all been announced a while ago and we're just a few days away from launch. If there were additional fees outside of Japan as well, I would think they would have clearly said so by now.
I'm just being (excessively?) prudent. ^^