• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much will the prototype sell for?

• $10,000 - $50,000

Votes: 49 13.6%
  • $50,000 - $100,000

Votes: 53 14.7%
  • $100,000 - $250,000

Votes: 69 19.2%
  • $250,000 - $500,000

Votes: 53 14.7%
  • $500,000 - $1,000,000

Votes: 58 16.1%
  • $1,000,000 - $3,000,000

Votes: 46 12.8%
  • $3,000,000+

Votes: 32 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
CJJz7v1.jpg

At one point, this dual-branded prototype's existence was mere myth, and this is the very first time it will ever be offered at public auction. It is said to be the last remaining prototype of the alleged 200 that were forged from the failed joint-venture between Sony and Nintendo, two of the biggest competitors in the home console video game market. Reportedly, the other prototypes have since been destroyed. We at Heritage can attest the prototype is working, as we've played a couple of rounds of Mortal Kombat on it using a Super Famicom cartridge.
The prototype does share some exterior similarities with both the Super Nintendo and the Sony PlayStation, but it has its own, unique characteristics as well.....

Auction: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-gam...otype-sony-and-nintendo-c-1992/a/7224-93060.s

How much do you think the final bid will be? Personally I'm hoping a musuem will win it out to show it off as the crazy history piece that it is.

Edit: (03/06/20)

Nintendo Playstation has sold for $300,000 via auction, winning bidder unknown.

Last edited:

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but there's a sealed copy of Secret of Mana currently at $1250 up for auction. I'm not even sure what I'm apologizing about.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Feels fucking bad, dude. But this has always been the plan. And yes, I understand being in a museum, it would just sit there. But dang it, I want it to be protected.

Sidebar, I have held the console and controller with my own two hands! A total dream come true.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Calling it now: Some Martin Shkreli type dude is gonna buy it at the highest price, complain it doesn't work with their latest copy of Madden or Call of Duty, and either chuck it in a bin to be forgotten about forever or put it in the trash.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
"Hello, my name is John Videogame and I don't work at Nintendo. Please allow me to purchase this product and I won't send it to Nintendo because I do not work there."

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think the guy turned down some high private offers already though? Does this auction have a reserve, assuming it goes for lower of what is expected?

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
The article says there's no proprietary software known to have been developed for it, but man I'd love to see any prototype software for the thing.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
This dude is going to get a very sweet payday from this thing. My guess is between $250K to $500K.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The article says there's no proprietary software known to have been developed for it, but man I'd love to see any prototype software for the thing.

Some crafty folks already developed a homebrew game for it since the system's bios was thankfully dumped and put online. :)

www.digitaltrends.com

Scrapped 'Nintendo PlayStation' Gets First Homebrew Game | Digital Trends

Die-hard SNES fans have crafted a homebrew game compatible with Nintendo's unreleased SNES CD-ROM peripheral, the scrapped "Nintendo PlayStation."

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't blame the dude one bit for getting paid, but I really, really hope the Video Game History Foundation or someone similar can get it.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get why they're selling it, but I hope it somehow ends up in a museum or something rather than someone's private collection.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Some Youtuber is going to get it and do one of those videos where they smash it with a bat for the lolz.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably some iteration of the system Squaresoft had in mind when they made that legendary Final Fantasy VI SGI demo.

FfVI-tech_demo.webp

No that was for a N64/64DD hardware level. Apparently the Nintendo Playstation's CD-ROM was more or less only extra storage for the SNES (At least for the prototype as the BIOS for it was dumped already).

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
If i had a fair shot i would blow up all my savings for it, too bad i'm too broke to afford it. You have no idea how much i dreamt of owning or even seeing this thing throughout the years.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Is Heritage really the best venue for this item? Their fees are crazy (for both buyers and sellers).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surely Sony or someone has a few stashed away. Would you really destroy all those prototypes, is that a thing companies do?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Is Heritage really the best venue for this item? Their fees are crazy (for both buyers and sellers).
Yeah, on the one hand this doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd put up on eBay. On the other hand, I recently saw an original Apple computer with original wooden case for literally like a million dollars on eBay, so maybe anything goes.

edit:
www.ebay.com

APPLE 1 Original 1976 Computer System designed and built by Apple. | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for APPLE 1 Original 1976 Computer System designed and built by Apple. at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

also anecdotally for the third or fourth picture, Steve Jobs's public height was 6'2" but Woz is 5'6", so something doesn't seem to add up there. It wouldn't be out of character for Jobs to exaggerate his height

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Feel free to send it to The Strong Museum if you win it.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably some iteration of the system Squaresoft had in mind when they made that legendary Final Fantasy VI SGI demo.

FfVI-tech_demo.webp
No, it would be Secret of Mana

The main game in development for the SNES-CD platform launch was Square's Secret of Mana, whose planned content was cut down to the size suitable for cartridge and released on that medium instead.[24][25]

https://web.archive.org/web/20151004205410/http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/pixels-and-bits/13744-Secret-of-Mana-Could-Have-Been-Great-With-Its-Missing-Content said:
Secret of Mana was originally designed to be released in North America via SNES CD add-on. Near the end of development, the deal between Nintendo and Sony fell through, with Sony deciding instead to develop the SNES CD into PlayStation. The designed game was salvaged by cutting a significant amount of data in order to make it fit onto an SNES cartridge. A large portion of the story's script was cut after a certain point, as well as possibly a few mini-games (the carousel, for example) and sprites (like the melting snowman.) Various different routes which would lead to different endings were removed and substituted with linear gameplay.

Designer Koichi Ishii estimated that roughly 40% of the game's content was cut, and producer Hiromichi Tanaka has stated that the original storyline had a much darker tone. Due to the drastic cuts, there is virtually zero character development present.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Figured this is as good as any of a place to ask: How would you go about selling a collector's item like?

I've got a pair of Labo Joy-Cons. From best I can find there's only about 50 in the world, and who knows how many of those are being used. I'd like to at least get something for them, but I don't really just want to put them up for any random person to buy. They're absolutely brand new. I don't really feel comfortable using them and I'm not the type of person to hoard them or display them. Right now they're just sitting in their box, inside a bag, inside a sealed bin. I thought about doing a giveaway of them so someone can enjoy them, but I dunno.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Figured this is as good as any of a place to ask: How would you go about selling a collector's item like?

I've got a pair of Labo Joy-Cons. From best I can find there's only about 50 in the world, and who knows how many of those are being used. I'd like to at least get something for them, but I don't really just want to put them up for any random person to buy. They're absolutely brand new. I don't really feel comfortable using them and I'm not the type of person to hoard them or display them. Right now they're just sitting in their box, inside a bag, inside a sealed bin. I thought about doing a giveaway of them so someone can enjoy them, but I dunno.
You could probably sell them for a couple of hundred $ in a few years. I mean look at the prices of some of the japanese only Gamecube controllers.

Stanicle

Oct 27, 2017

metsallica

Hope i mentioned you right because i remember reading how you were searching for these in another thread.