• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I hope this isn't bought by some private collector that will put it in their basement never to be seen again. I'd rather the Video Game History Foundation get it.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Was bound to happen eventually - very interested to see what happens with it. He's mentioned many times about the offers he's had since showing it off, if they were legit I bet they'll be all snapping back to get it!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda curious to see how much it will sell for. Did they ever get it into working condition?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

will probably be the biggest gaming related auction of all time

this belongs in a museum tbh, but wouldn't be surprised if nintendo or sony try to get their hands on it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
86078_gb_news.jpg

Its the snes with cd drive prototype that was found like 2 years ago

It's like watching into an alternate universe

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
They should put it on a raffle on the Giveaway thread lmao

This is gaming's equivalent of a Da Vinci painting. Or a Vermeer. This should be in a museum for everyone to see, it would not be fair to be kept only for a few people.

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
giphy.gif

It's going to sell for some ridiculous amount, but I really hope it's a benevolent benefactor who lets it be properly archived and displayed somewhere and not one of those rich folks who hoard undumped prototypes or something.

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that Sony would have gotten 100% of the royalties for any games sold on CD. Which would have been a total disaster for Nintendo.
It was a mid gen refresh add on like the Sega/Mega CD that likely would have done limited business before more powerful systems arrived so lost profits wouldn't be that big.
Nintendo has survived worse decisions than this.

Oct 30, 2017
I read a book about the Sega and Nintendo console wars--I think it was simply called System Wars--and the author claimed that Sony first pitched the CD attachment to Sega and the companies were in negotiations. That was news to me, and I rarely see it mentioned anywhere. Is that actually true?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the contents of a thread I made a long while back (which only got 1 reply) with articles on all three separate, different SNES CD systems that were in development..

www.resetera.com/threads/snes-cd-rom-thread-nintendo-sony-philips-16-bit-32-bit-versions.49597/

Electronic Gaming Monthly #29 December 1991

SdmxmtJ.jpg

Electronic Gaming Monthly #32 March 1992

KcgZosu.jpg

EGM June 1992

EOuWg4O.jpg

Electronic Gaming Monthly - April 1993

16YpPBe.jpg

VDQKmIY.jpg

Then I found this article in Electronic Games magazine (the 1992 incarnation of EG) from their April 1993 issue.

qIE1SCD.jpg

SXArXFD.jpg

x1g7SG7.jpg

Skip forward to Feburary 1997 - an article on the Nintendo 64 "Bulky Drive" / 64DD, and the history with the Nintendo Disc CD-ROM (32-bit version) from 1993.

392HQ9e.jpg

VRWsaMl.jpg

oBuCaYv.jpg

(#1) 1990
Sony/Nintendo "Super Disc" format - expansion CD-ROM and an all-in-one "Play Station" - no actual processor upgrade, other than RAM

FH90U5x.jpg

(#2) 1991
SNES CD-ROM (Nintendo, Philips)- expansion CD-ROM - extra RAM, again, no actual processor upgrade other than RAM

(#3) 1993
Nintendo Disc aka CD-ROMXA (Nintendo + Philips + maybe Sony) - expansion CD-RPM - 32-bit, 21 MHz co-processor upgrade. Plus the decompression processor. This is the one that was not only a CD expansion, but also had additional power, making it an upgrade, like the Sega-CD, but 32-bit and even more powerful. The previous two were more in line with the PC-Engine / TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM systems, which were CD drives with more (and more) RAM but no extra processing chips.

The prototype SNES CD-ROM system that was unearthed a few years ago, which got quite a bit of coverage,
was the all-in-one version of SNES CD #1 - the 'Play Station', or just 'Nintendo PlayStation'.

kuheLdt.jpg

nDwkXrG.jpg

dObUFTU.jpg
This is a really neat compilation, thank you for putting it together.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Count me as another voice saying this should go in a museum. This is too fascinating and important a piece of history to leave in the dark

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
All that sony branding... yeah i can see why nintendo backed out. shit i would.. despite the "sony got blindsided biography videos!"

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had it just so I could own the only PlayStation on the planet with proper "OK" and "Cancel" button placement.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I wish I had it just so I could own the only PlayStation on the planet with proper "OK" and "Cancel" button placement.
Yeah I feel like the controller is the most appealing part of this. You could play SNES games with an officially branded PlayStation controller without any modifications.