• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any tips on the last boss with kamaitachi? Been trying for the past hour and cannot beat him. I used to have no problems defeating him when I was playing this shit at 12 years old. Getting old sucks lol

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
My regular North American physical edition came in, the one by ININ. The box art was placed upside down, so opening the case had the cart on the left side positioned upside down. The new character info cards has a misprint on Raiden that gives him the bio of Kunoichi. Also, the small poster that came in it seemed to already be worn at the creases.

If anyone else gets that copy lemme know if this is also the case for you as well.
The Raiden card in case anyone was curious, heh

EHHZA5yWkAApNv6

Nov 21, 2017
I still cannae believe there isn't a Steam version! I could just grab the digital edition for PS4 but I'd really prefer PC.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
So is this game good or what? How's the replay value?

It's one of the best Beat'Em Ups on the SNES, and this remake is even superior.

The original game only had 3 playable characters and no co-op, this remake has two additional characters for a total of 5 and now has co-op multiplayer.

Unlike other Beat'Em Ups along the likes of Streets of Rage or Final Fight. Ninja Warriors gameplay is on a single plane with movement consisted of you going left to right, much like a Fighting Game. So you need to control space in the front and back of you. Gives the game a refreshing challenge.

Also the game has a more expanded move list by holding directional inputs, some at the expense of using a bit of super meter, kind of like an EX move.

Replay value is not much different then any other 2D Beat'Em Up much along the other games of the genre, so playing through the game solo with all 5 characters will provide a different experience as each character has very different play styles and movement speeds, and then there is the inclusion of co-op unlike the original game which was a single player experience.

It's definitely one of the best games in the genre.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what SNES game these devs will remake next. I loved Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors. This is how I want my 2D games to look.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder what SNES game these devs will remake next. I loved Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors. This is how I want my 2D games to look.

Keep in mind both games came from the same developer / publisher. So there is very little remaining from their back catalog if there any additional remakes they will do next.

Perhaps Pocky & Rocky maybe.

It's unlikely they are going to do a Power Rangers remake due to the licensing involved.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind both games came from the same developer / publisher. So there is very little remaining from their back catalog if there any additional remakes they will do next.

It's unlikely they are going to do a Power Rangers remake due to the licensing involved.

Oh man that Power Rangers game would be awesome if remade. I'd take both P&R games too.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
So, is there a movelist somewhere? I figured some stuff while playing but I don't have the full picture yet

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to make sure: Switch version is okay? No performance issues?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any tips on the last boss with kamaitachi? Been trying for the past hour and cannot beat him. I used to have no problems defeating him when I was playing this shit at 12 years old. Getting old sucks lol
It comes down to throwing enemies into the boss and not getting hit. I try to avoid throwing the guys wearing suits as they're more likely to counter you than other enemies.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
My regular North American physical edition came in, the one by ININ. The box art was placed upside down, so opening the case had the cart on the left side positioned upside down. The new character info cards has a misprint on Raiden that gives him the bio of Kunoichi. Also, the small poster that came in it seemed to already be worn at the creases.
Might opt for digital if the publisher is gonna be this careless. Worth mentioning Zuntata's name is spelled wrong on the Amazon listing.

Sep 15, 2019
Got super excited for a moment because I thought it was The Deadliest Warriors fighting game that released back on XBLA on the 360 and was a ton of fun.

This is interesting too but it isn't Deadliest Warriors.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
It's one of the best Beat'Em Ups on the SNES, and this remake is even superior.

The original game only had 3 playable characters and no co-op, this remake has two additional characters for a total of 5 and now has co-op multiplayer.

Unlike other Beat'Em Ups along the likes of Streets of Rage or Final Fight. Ninja Warriors gameplay is on a single plane with movement consisted of you going left to right, much like a Fighting Game. So you need to control space in the front and back of you. Gives the game a refreshing challenge.

Also the game has a more expanded move list by holding directional inputs, some at the expense of using a bit of super meter, kind of like an EX move.

Replay value is not much different then any other 2D Beat'Em Up much along the other games of the genre, so playing through the game solo with all 5 characters will provide a different experience as each character has very different play styles and movement speeds, and then there is the inclusion of co-op unlike the original game which was a single player experience.

It's definitely one of the best games in the genre.

Thank you. And its bought. I had double diped on Wild Guns release... So had always my eye on this. The diference is that i had only played the Arcade version before, not the Snes one. I do love shinobi, dragoninja, final fight, streets of rage... so im sure I will enjoy this one as well...
And after booting for the first time impressions are good. Jesus does it look nice in both Switch screen and tv.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this for the past week since the SLG version arrived finally. Got the first 1cc with Ninja now. Overall great looking game with lots of love and care put into it. I think there is enough move variety for this kind of game length. I'm not very familiar with the original but i'd be surprised if they didn't add a few moves? I think the biggest weakness is enemy variety by the end. First boss is cool but recycled too many times. Knife dudes could've used a dangerous version in the last stretch, they're way too common. Music is a pretty well known classic and the first track never gets old. Going to give the new OST more love now.

I haven't even tried any other characters so playtime is definitely not an issue for me, lots of stuff to explore!

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this for the past week since the SLG version arrived finally. Got the first 1cc with Ninja now. Overall great looking game with lots of love and care put into it. I think there is enough move variety for this kind of game length. I'm not very familiar with the original but i'd be surprised if they didn't add a few moves? I think the biggest weakness is enemy variety by the end. First boss is cool but recycled too many times. Knife dudes could've used a dangerous version in the last stretch, they're way too common. Music is a pretty well known classic and the first track never gets old. Going to give the new OST more love now.

I haven't even tried any other characters so playtime is definitely not an issue for me, lots of stuff to explore!

Yes, the old characters all have a few new moves and/or retooled moves. For Kunoichi specifically, they had this clever idea of giving her the ability to throw shuriken - something she never had in the SNES original, but that they gave her as a nod to the arcade game. It's not something that speaks to me personally, but I imagine that fans of the first game appreciate the love and attention to detail.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
So, bought it on release day, and played instantly with little brother in BRAND NEW MP, which is such a welcome addition. I played Kunoichi, he played Ninja. Got beat on the first boss pretty fast, lol. After THAT embarrassing "WELCOME TO MULK'S RESISTANCE!" moment, we actually started to get pretty good at surviving for a while... and then the game overs started to hit again!

But we did beat it, of course, and that unlocked Yasha.

I then proceeded to play Yasha alone, as that was required to unlock music tracks. Also, seems like the achievements are tied to single player too.

Never played her, and... her heavy, oddly technical methods were REALLY interesting to use alone. Also, while playing 2P, I swear the gunmen never shot, but just rolled bombs and smashed with the butt of their gun. They actually started to shoot at Yaksha! This really made me start paying more attention to trying to block, learn patterns, and appreciate how the thick little miss feels like a refreshing take on a Female Bruiser type. Very similar to Doris in Wild Guns Reloaded... I can appreciate this! The artist have a taste, and they're good at expressing it.

After beating the game with her, I unlocked Raiden, and the additional soundtracks. Note I DIDN'T play hard mode. Just beat the game a 2nd time. Brother and I then proceeded to try some time attack stage runs in MP.

The game's juggle system and movelist is SO expanded compared to the SNES game. I enjoy the SNES moves, but there's no flow to them. Everything is a single hit exclamation point, save some of Kamaitachi's whirlwinds. But in THIS game... pretty much EVERYTHING is an opening to a new attack. Jump hits at different heights have different reactions. Jumps hits that knock down can be extended with crouch attacks. As long as you do a different move, you can juggle quite a lot! This totally changes the strategy of how to play, and even works on bosses. You can get a lot more damage out during your "turn".

I love short-hopping with Kunoichi, and doing her down-attack to launch people. I love the EX enders that can be done while holding UP after the end of a combo, while at MAX meter. Yaksha's is especially potent, and full of invincibility frames. I love how Ninja's nunchaku give him STUPID range and great height. Kamaitachi was an old favorite, but I haven't played him in a playthrough yet! And Raiden... he's pretty much just a walking, well developed cheat mode. Not because he's invincible or such, but he just breaks so many normal playable character rules.

All in all, this game is a joy, but I think it presses pass the SNES version pretty strongly, while also being a real uncompromisingly classic experience. This game is NOT about speed. It's about enjoying the expression of having power and deft ability... while moving around like a tank dressed in a speed character's clothing. Even it's SPEED feels slow and weighty! The SNES game felt more like a simple spectacle, but this feels more engaging to play, while STILL not giving in to the late brawlers fast = fun ideals. I think that's pretty rare, personally. Even more rare for it to be accepted.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I encountered this really bad glitch when playing the Switch version. Thankfully it went away when it loaded the next screen.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
You'd probably be better off directing that tweet at the publisher @ININ_Games and the developer @TENGO_PROJECT (in Japanese, if possible).

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I encountered this really bad glitch when playing the Switch version. Thankfully it went away when it loaded the next screen.

Damn, any idea what triggered it? I haven't encountered it - or any other bug, for that matter - in any of my playthroughs, but that was the Japanese version. Not that I know whether there are any differences between the two releases.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

I just had this glitch yesterday in the exact same area! Was playing with friends in multi when it happened We just mashed buttons and somehow scrolled almost up to the boss area before both characters died which ended the glitch.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just had this glitch yesterday in the exact same area! Was playing with friends in multi when it happened We just mashed buttons and somehow scrolled almost up to the boss area before both characters died which ended the glitch.

That's kind of how it happened to me. I was picking up gas tanks and throwing them and punching the enemies, all very rapidly, and when one tank exploded, the glitch happened.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
pardon the bump, but how do you best beat the yellow robots that always block?.i can't seem to reliably toss enemies

If you hold the attack button, you'll block and if you press the jump button while blocking, you'll do an evasive jump. Use that jump to get behind the robots and damage them.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018

I wish they'd do Kikikaikai next. A remake collecting both games would be super cool.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
fucksake, I've been at this last boss nearly an hour now - had him down to 1 or 2 hits but there's literally no room to work with are the end, any pointers?

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My disc finally came in on Saturday. Damn this is one of the finest remakes/re-imaginings I've played. It's like the long lost arcade game that inspired an SNES port.

I kind of wish this team would start giving all of the other noteworthy SNES titles the same treatment. Imagine something like Assault Suits Valken remastered like this. Or the Final Fights.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Is this game not on psn? I can only buy a physical copy (which looks like it's currently in stock on Amazon for $30).

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

I get slowdown sometimes, so I'm not sure I'd call the Switch version flawless.

Unless you tell me the slowdown is in all versions.

fucksake, I've been at this last boss nearly an hour now - had him down to 1 or 2 hits but there's literally no room to work with are the end, any pointers?

Just keep trying. It's a terrible boss and the end when there's lasers and shielding going on you kind of have to get a little lucky with enemies being close enough to throw.

I found it best to put it down for a day and come back. Course it means I had the game suspended all night and couldn't use my Switch, but some sleep helped me. ;)

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Who are you using? You can direct Ninjas up throw by pressing a diagonal and you can hit it from almost anywhere.

yeah damn, i should practice that - and i always use the 3rd guy, katamari or whatever

Just keep trying. It's a terrible boss and the end when there's lasers and shielding going on you kind of have to get a little lucky with enemies being close enough to throw.

I found it best to put it down for a day and come back. Course it means I had the game suspended all night and couldn't use my Switch, but some sleep helped me. ;)

yeahh i kinda did this, ill have to start all over later but it's cool, the game's a blast anyway

Oct 26, 2017
My copy from SLG has *finally* shipped. I guess that's what I get for getting the collector's edition.

Either way, I'm still excited to finally play this!!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

If you're playing with raiden, yeah, you're fucked. With any other character it's easy. ALWAYS be blocking and use the avasive jump for when you want to move. In the first phase you can stay safely in the middle, on the second phase you have to alternate between the middle and sides to avoid de laser walls.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
If you're playing with raiden, yeah, you're fucked. With any other character it's easy. ALWAYS be blocking and use the avasive jump for when you want to move. In the first phase you can stay safely in the middle, on the second phase you have to alternate between the middle and sides to avoid de laser walls.

yeahhh....he's my dude though! and man, those lasers got a bit easier when i quickly realized it's only the end of the blast that hurts you, at least

still, being able to toss everyone in without having to hit them first would've made this so much quicker

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
wait, the other guys dont?! oh man, those one hit dudes could actually be useful for tossing! that'd make shit so much easier
Yeah, the others just walk into and grab like any other beat em' up. The last boss is a joke with Kunoichi. Just stun with a poke, hold up and throw. Just dodge the traps and lasers.

"Ninja" is a crowd control monster. Walk in or poke and grab. Hold up and hit attack again and watch him blend. Follow it up with a dash kick and juggle like it's Tekken.