• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CNBC

The National Football League wants to charge its current network partners double what they've been paying to broadcast games — but Disney is pushing back, citing the high price tag for Monday Night Football.

There is a ton of details, but I can't post the whole article. Basically Disney pays a fuck ton more for MNF than FOX, NBC, and CBS. NFL wants to double their prices with everyone, but Disney is like hold up.

Disney also wants more double headers, more games on ABC, the ability to include MNF in a direct to consumer sold streaming version of ESPN, and in the rotation for the Super Bowl.

Currently the NFL asking price for Disney is 3.8 billion. Bare in mind this includes access to highlights and such.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
NFL dumps the worst fucking games on Monday night too, so I can see why Disney wouldn't want to pay more for that garbage.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Wait is Abc not already a part of the rotation? How is that even possible...? Seems like a big failure on Disney's part for not having nabbed a spot already

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
NFL dumps the worst fucking games on Monday night too, so I can see why Disney wouldn't want to pay more for that garbage.

they typically try to select games that look good before the season starts, but then parity hits and those games later in the season are straight garbage with no flex option like the Sunday night football games. If you could flex Monday night, that would never happen.

the nfl can charge whatever it wants. Someone will pay.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Surprised they would pay anything more given the NFL is clearly vectoring people towards buying subs directly from them. I was surprised at how reasonable NFL GamePass was this year like $25 for a year of games + SuperBowl. Pretty much sweet spot for a casual viewer like myself. Looks like maybe that was pro-rated though, looks like it's normally $50/yr? Have no interest in buying a package like Disney or ESPN.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised they would pay anything more given the NFL is clearly vectoring people towards buying subs directly from them. I was surprised at how reasonable NFL GamePass was this year like $25 for a year of games + SuperBowl. Pretty much sweet spot for a casual viewer like myself. Looks like maybe that was pro-rated though, looks like it's normally $50/yr? Have no interest in buying a package like Disney or ESPN.
did you have a promo? I thought it was a few hundred dollars.

Jul 4, 2018
This was an interesting part of the article:

Disney also wants flexibility in terms of streaming rights as the company considers selling ESPN as a direct-to-consumer product. The NFL plans to include streaming rights as part of each network package, the people said.

Looks like Disney wants to future proof the rights in case they want to shift to ESPN+ and NFL seems fine with that. Might truely be the death of cable in a few years.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where did you get it for the price? Last I looked it was $300 or so

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
NFL wants to charge double, and won't even make the refs full-time employees with health benefits.

Straight up asshole shit.

You had some cheat code, Gamepass is $99 a year.

Where did you get it for the price? Last I looked it was $300 or so
NFL Sunday Ticket is $300, and requires DirectTV.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they typically try to select games that look good before the season starts, but then parity hits and those games later in the season are straight garbage with no flex option like the Sunday night football games. If you could flex Monday night, that would never happen.

the nfl can charge whatever it wants. Someone will pay.

While it's true there could be other players, the Disney deal in particular is special in that the NFL gets to charge so much not just for the game but for ESPN to get the rights to all of the content for their 24/7 networks.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NFL wants to charge double, and won't even make the refs full-time employees with health benefits.

Straight up asshole shit.

You had some cheat code, Gamepass is $99 a year.

NFL Sunday Ticket is $300, and requires DirectTV.

it seems weird that they wouldn't make them full time w/ health benefits when their average salary is $200K+ a year

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure there are going to be "more doubleheaders" on Monday Night Football. Do those late MNF games even get great ratings?