• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Nah, I'm just being realistic. We'll see where the numbers are in a few months, but I doubt there is a huge number of new generation players that are heavily invested. The game is not really set up to cater to new players.

I'm glad some of you stan hard, original FF7 is one of my favorite games ever but I have lost all hype after completing Remake.
They made a mistake in rushing it, game clearly looks rushed. They acknowledge the need to cut contents and ideas cause of time constraints, so they probably didn't had the time as well to polish textures, make better side quests and level design. Some cutscenes clearly needed a retake, especially the pillar post Reno-Rude fight, and Tifa actually not saying anything to sephiroth even once. There's more but i made my point.

Maybe with more time on their hands, they can fix these types of issues moving foward.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Most impressions are that it's a good game. Just my perspective that another ~5 year wait to finish the story will hurt the experience for me. I usually wait till all the episodes are out before I start an episodic game. Being that this is a story I'm already familiar with, it makes the wait that much more excruciating.
I think you're undercutting what a full experience the first part is. I've sunk in 27 hours and apparently I'm only halfway through the game. Granted, I only ever played up until the end of Midgar for the original game, but this has been a totally new experience of this section despite being "familiar" with the story myself. I'm under the impression if you played it now, you'd feel plenty satisfied with this saga of a larger story and have your patience renewed as we wait for the next installment. I think too many people are putting stock into this not telling the "whole story" versus the merit of it providing a "whole experience" as a standalone retail title.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the time they finish the storyline they will need another remake of the first episode because it will have become a retrogame. The cycle continues,

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To those defending Square Enix, what are you basing your faith on that this project is being managed by competent individuals?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
What a fucking mess. I already thought it was a huge problem splitting this thing across two console generations, but now they say they're in planning stages only and thinking about changing the gameplay? This is worse than I could have imagined.

There's no chance anyone will be playing the "complete" remake in the long term, if the releases are this far apart, across multiple generations, and with big gameplay changes between them. What a terribly planned waste of an opportunity. Should have taken the time to plan out each release properly and make Part 1 a next gen launch window exclusive. Finishing the final part by the end of the generation. Keeping the gameplay consistent between them all so a complete edition would be both possible and compatible.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they reveal this in summer of 2015?

CyberConnect2 was originally developing the game and then they shifted internally due to issues. But I'm wondering how much they re-used because that initial gameplay reveal was all CyberConnect2 material and its all present in the current game. So i wonder how much time they saved with already made assets.

Everything up to the train section was CC2, and its clear as day in the 2015 gameplay reveal that they did have quite a bit of work done. So we know square did re-use whatever they had even when they shifted over to internally.

So i would definitely include 2015-2016 as part of the development cycle..........work was definitely done, question is how much after the first couple hours did CC2 finish or do.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Almost every FF is a story based around a group of people solving their problems without a real plan

So like duh the devs also do the same thing lol

*cries*

Anyways whatever

Just please don't take too long

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
A reboot when a game has already been announced is a normal dev cycle now
Games get rebuilt and revamped all the time. Or are you forgetting when the original Final Fantasy 7 was going to be on the SNES and based in New York?

That's game development. And it sucks when it is public, especially from a company that has historically taken 10 years on projects.
To those defending Square Enix, what are you basing your faith on that this project is being managed by competent individuals?
Because they had the awareness that the original project wasn't working, so they regrouped and managed to put this out in 2.5 years built off the previous efforts, to strong reception.

I'd say that's a pretty good call.
They made a mistake in rushing it, game clearly looks rushed. They acknowledge the need to cut contents and ideas cause of time constraints, so they probably didn't had the time as well to polish textures, make better side quests and level design. Some cutscenes clearly needed a retake, especially the pillar post Reno-Rude fight, and Tifa actually not saying anything to sephiroth even once. There's more but i made my point.

Maybe with more time on their hands, they can fix these types of issues moving foward.

Content and ideas get cut in games all the time. All. The. Time.

And stuff like Tifa/Sephiroth doesn't add much when there's an entire dedicated section of the game yet to come (which is still likely to be included) where they can flesh that perspective out.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Games get rebuilt and revamped all the time. Or are you forgetting when the original Final Fantasy 7 was going to be on the SNES and based in New York?

That's game development. And it sucks when it is public, especially from a company that has historically taken 10 years on projects.

Because they had the awareness that the original project wasn't working, so they regrouped and managed to put this out in 2.5 years built off the previous efforts, to strong reception.

I'd say that's a pretty good call.

Content and ideas get cut in games all the time. All. The. Time.

And stuff like Tifa/Sephiroth doesn't add much when there's an entire dedicated section of the game yet to come (which is still likely to be included) where they can flesh that perspective out.
Yes they do get cut, but the Developers acknowledge that on this case it was because of time constraints, not because they didn't fit or they flat out suck.

Nomura maybe crazy and smoking something really hard to come up with his ideas but he's not a bad director, and that pillar cutscene was absolutely horrible execution all around, same with the Whisper Harbinger fight at the end, you only fight his minions (the 3 advent children), you never actually fight him except the last 5% of his hp pool where he mostly just stands there.

And the sidequest and level design, i can't believe if they had more time, this is what would be the end product, search cats and destroys boxes...really?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I think you're undercutting what a full experience the first part is. I've sunk in 27 hours and apparently I'm only halfway through the game. Granted, I only ever played up until the end of Midgar for the original game, but this has been a totally new experience of this section despite being "familiar" with the story myself. I'm under the impression if you played it now, you'd feel plenty satisfied with this saga of a larger story and have your patience renewed as we wait for the next installment. I think too many people are putting stock into this not telling the "whole story" versus the merit of it providing a "whole experience" as a standalone retail title.
The issue, IMO, is that there's a lot of slow corridors and needless sidequests padding things out. It's not to the point that it's terrible really, but it's noticeable enough to many people. The reason they couldn't go out of Midgar is because it would require developing a whole new set of assets, but the alternative is that they had to pad it out so that it feels like a "full experience". Again, it's not like it's awfully done, but I do think it's noticeable enough.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Maybe it's wishful thinking but after the sales reception I don't see Sony allowing a project of this calibre to languish in development hell.

We're basing this off of a loose/unofficial translation. Just because there's a lot they will discover along the way doesn't mean they're winging the entire roadmap.

Anyhoo we'll see where they're at this time next year, but I'd imagine they wouldn't want more than a 3 year gap between the games, and that they'll figure out how to shorten the dev time in between then.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
CyberConnect2 was originally developing the game and then they shifted internally due to issues. But I'm wondering how much they re-used because that initial gameplay reveal was all CyberConnect2 material and its all present in the current game. So i wonder how much time they saved with already made assets.

Everything up to the train section was CC2, and its clear as day in the 2015 gameplay reveal that they did have quite a bit of work done. So we know square did re-use whatever they had even when they shifted over to internally.

So i would definitely include 2015-2016 as part of the development cycle..........work was definitely done, question is how much after the first couple hours did CC2 finish or do.
They definitely did not throw all that stuff out like a lot of people seem to think. At the very least there's some basic forms of the animations and environments we see in the final release. All the stuff I read online about CC2's contributions being garbage is something I take with a metric ton of salt. I don't know that any of that has been verified really, outside of SE's own statements on the matter?

I bet they took on a lot of tech debt tho and that took a while to resolve as well as taking ownership of CC2's work. That would have killed momentum for a long while

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Lol, 2024 then, and it will probably only cover until junon, maaaaaybe include costa del sol and gold saucer but I doubt they will do more....yeah, Im gonna finish this when Im 45 or so (and Im 29).

It's becoming so clear that gaming development is unsustainable, this is just ridiculous

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Eh a more literal translation is this according to the translator: We've begun to think about story concepts that aren't clear yet" So duh they started development and aren't in planning. Should include the translator's note in the OP before people say this isn't coming until 2027 or wtv.

Too late, the headlines and thread titles have been written.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
They definitely did not throw all that stuff out like a lot of people seem to think. At the very least there's some basic forms of the animations and environments we see in the final release. All the stuff I read online about CC2's contributions being garbage is something I take with a metric ton of salt. I don't know that any of that has been verified really, outside of SE's own statements on the matter?

I bet they took on a lot of tech debt tho and that took a while to resolve as well as taking ownership of CC2's work. That would have killed momentum for a long while

I mean even the camera cuts from the 2015 trailer are STILL used in the final game. So they definitely used quite a bit if not all of that opening couple hours.......its pretty darn clear too and shocking.

Just watch these trailers and go.........holy crap this was in 2015.......

outside of course some graphical, lighting and voice acting changes. The scenes are straight ripped into the final release.....they definitely used a lot of CC2 which saved them a good amount of time.

This next game will 100% be from the minds of the internal team and i think will take 3-4 years.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yes they do get cut, but the Developers acknowledge that on this case it was because of time constraints, not because they didn't fit or they flat out suck.

Nomura maybe crazy and smoking something really hard to come up with his ideas but he's not a bad director, and that pillar cutscene was absolutely horrible execution all around, same with the Whisper Harbinger fight at the end, you only fight his minions (the 3 advent children), you never actually fight him except the last 5% of his hp pool where he mostly just stands there.

And the sidequest and level design, i can't believe if they had more time, this is what would be the end product, search cats and destroys boxes...really?
Or they wanted the combat for that section to reflect the combat system of the rest of the game rather than trying to conceive how you fight a mountain in a satisfying way? The only time i had to slash Harbinger itself was literally it falling towards you after beating its minions. And even the text about its minions kinda have opened some fun theories about who they were that was interesting in its own way.

And yes, low-key parts of the game tend to have low-key silly sidequests and minigames. That shit takes 5 minutes, it ain't a struggle.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The Harbinger/Remnants fight is super fun. I look forward to replaying it. Looks amazing too.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Guess I'll just treat Remake as a stand alone game and try to forget the rest for now.

Played OG FF7 and looked up to the characters as they were older than me. Now they're like really young friends. When I beat final Sephiroth it'll be like playing as my grandkids.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
It'll be on the next gen systems. Of course they have only just started planning, how is that a shock? It'll be a normal dev cycle of at least 3 years. Doubt they'll reuse assets, do devs ever do that across generations?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I find it really funny that so few people still can't see the remake projects as stand-alone separate games. Of course theyre gonna take a while.

I mean, some seem to have thought the rest of the games would release on PS4? That makes absolutely no sense?

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Absolutely crazy that they developed the game as standalone despite it being only a small section of the original game. I would have expected them to be working on the script for all the games in tandem. Also those comments about the open world don't inspire confidence. Looking like we might be getting an FFX-2 style departure from X.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I think they might have to have 2 teams working on it so they come out close enough together. Since they have the art style and a lot of other things hopefully it'll take just a few years

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Nah they could still easily make a 2022 date. The production of this game basically started from scratch years into production after dumping Cyberconnect and switching to Unreal 4. The main hurdle will be getting any motion capture voice work done that needs to be done especially with pandemic conditions around the world right now.

There's no way Square dishes out a game in 2years, even if other studios can do it.

Metakilt

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
From what i read they still don't know how to let the players explore the world whilst giving a tight narrative, basically confirms that even they don't know how the story will go? I'm guessing at most they have very basic plot points but are still thinking of how to get there lol. I've got a feeling the next parts will be kh levels of story telling.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, 2024 then, and it will probably only cover until junon, maaaaaybe include costa del sol and gold saucer but I doubt they will do more....yeah, Im gonna finish this when Im 45 or so (and Im 29).

It's becoming so clear that gaming development is unsustainable, this is just ridiculous

It's just Square Enix, other developers have no issue with large scale AAA games coming out in decent time frames and having large explorable worlds.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The doom and gloom is hilarious, 4-5 years normal dev time.

Take your time.
I don't see doom and gloom, just bewilderment at the management of the series.

Its one thing to chop up the OG game, but to not have a plan on the cadence or work-flow to capitalise on the momentum is so amateurish, the only reaction I can think of is bewilderment.

Rods

May 1, 2020
It's just Square Enix, other developers have no issue with large scale AAA games coming out in decent time frames and having large explorable worlds.
Aside from the nightmare that was Versus XIII, what other games they had trouble coming out in decent time frames?
Most of their studios release a game every 3-4 years.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

RDR2 takes 7 years time
Cyberpunk takes 7 Years time
Breath of Wild 2 takes at least 4 years?
Soulsborne/Sekiro are open world but they use same assets
MGS V takes 3-4 years
Fallout 4 takes 5 years

Only Ubisoft is can create open worlds in less than 2 years because of the same assets. Monolith soft is pretty good too.

McCarth

Apr 8, 2020
I'm legit shocked at the amount of people who aren't super disappointed by yet another sign of SE being completely inept. How they have managed to go about this development plan with zero intentions to leverage the engine/assets of Part 1 for at the very least ONE more part is absolutely mind-boggling.

This is exactly why this company lives and dies on the FF franchise, and can never escape that hole to dabble in experimentation like they used to. This was a GOLDEN opportunity that is looking more and more like it has been completely wasted.

I completely understand many here who are still going to buy Part 2 in 3 or 4 years, but guys, c'mon. Mainstream sales are definitely going to take a hit, and worst of all that is going to CRATER Part 3+ sales.

Seriously this company can't find competent management to save its life.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Looking for a silver lining in the interview, at least Toriyama is the one who's expressing his cluelessness. I'll optimistically believe that there is a detailed, passionate vision being roadmapped out but it's just Toriyama's more talented colleagues doing the heavy lifting. Like yeah, having a co-director say this 5 years after starting the project is troubling but some people put out better work executing other's vision.

Endo saying he wants to step up and put a larger footprint on part 2 makes me glad. I liked him in the behind the scenes interviews and the battle system is great.

I told ya'll the complete remake would take 10 years.

Ha, if only. 5 years for part one my guy. We're looking at at least 3 more parts from the way they talk about it. See you in 2031-2035 for the finale.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
There will be it would be stupid if there is not.

what would be stupid about not being hold back by this old machine that is already pushing the first part to its limis.
You really think they would release a Cross Gen Game in 2023?

let them go all out on next gen hardware, that will massively help in terms of gamedesign and direction.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
what would be stupid about not being hold back by this old machine that is already pushing the first part to its limis.
You really think they would release a Cross Gen Game in 2023?

let them go all out on next gen hardware, that will massively help in terms of gamedesign and direction.

www.google.com

Square Enix Won't Release Next-Gen Exclusives for Some Time - IGN

"The next-generation consoles will have backward compatibility, so we plan for the time being to make our new titles available for both current and next-generation consoles."

No it won't not by a business standpoint. So,yea they been said this and I was disappointed by it.