• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that we finally got some new MM characters in MvC. Sigma and X were two of the main reasons I like the game for sure. Still wish I'd get a classic Robot Master playable - Elec Man, Cut Man, Guts Man, Metal Man, Shadow Man, Pharaoh Man etc. any of 'em would do.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Infinite really looks like Capcom understood Marvel was screwing them over and decided to cut their losses early on in the process. Either the uneven number of characters, or Sigma, MonHun and BP being removed from the base game into DLC.
Hopefully they shelved their work on other Capcom characters for a future game.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Infinite really looks like Capcom understood Marvel was screwing them over and decided to cut their losses early on in the process. Either the uneven number of characters, or Sigma, MonHun and BP being removed from the base game into DLC.
Hopefully they shelved their work on other Capcom characters for a future game.

This is why I think we'll see some sort of fighter this year.
mvcinfinite-character-select-screen-dec2017.png

This uneven roster screams "cut the loses, just release what we're obligated too". Considered all this content was done by December 2017. A title by late 2019 or early 2020 wouldn't be out of the question. Division 2 has been quiet on what they're doing and it would explain the cut back on SF5 this year.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Firebrand making it over Nina was the whackest thing ever. Yes, lets add 2 GnG reps over having a new franchise rep (Miss me with "but demon crest").

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never recover from learning that Princess Tiara was actually considered for the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom roster

I guess they only had one "who the hell is that" slot to fill and Saki claimed it

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Firebrand making it over Nina was the whackest thing ever. Yes, lets add 2 GnG reps over having a new franchise rep (Miss me with "but demon crest").

I would say "but Demon's Crest" because it's legit, but Firebrand took nothing from that incarnation, instead being an annoying flying gremlin. At least he got the Ultimate Gargoyle as a costume in Infinite.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This uneven roster screams "cut the loses, just release what we're obligated too". Considered all this content was done by December 2017. A title by late 2019 or early 2020 wouldn't be out of the question. Division 2 has been quiet on what they're doing and it would explain the cut back on SF5 this year.
That's what I'm hoping for too.
And the fact they did it unevenly means to me that the next game won't be with Marvel.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was actually Nina, who got replaced by Firebrand.

Either Fou-lu was also in the running, or he was going to be in TvC.
It was Nina and Fou Lu.

The list of proposed characters from the interviews from Niitsuma translated on Eventhubs over the years is:

MARVEL:
Doctor Octopus
Blade
Spider-Woman
Psylocke
Spiral
Multiple Man
Cloak & Dagger
Black Widow
The Hood
Ms Marvel (Carol Danvers)
Kingpin
Mystique
Loki
Vision
Silver Surfer
Green Goblin
Juggernaut

CAPCOM:
Gill (Street Fighter III)
Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire IV)
Katt (Breath of Fire II)
SonSon
Mai-Ling (Red Earth)
Arieta (Cyberbots)
Ingrid (Capcom Fighting Evolution)
Rouge (Power Stone)
Tessa (Red Earth)
Anita (Darkstalkers)
Nina (Breath of Fire 1)
Gene
X
Soki (Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams)
Samanosuke Akechi (Onimusha: Warlords)
Demitri Maximoff (Darkstalkers)

Doctor Octopus had a functioning model but ate up too much RAM. And iirc the Onimusha protagonist from 1 was actually in the final roster after they passed on Soki, but had to be cut because using the actor's face wasn't authorized by his agency (interestingly enough, it probably would be auorized now considering the Onimusha remaster).

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It was Nina and Fou Lu.

The list of proposed characters from the interviews from Niitsuma translated on Eventhubs over the years is:

MARVEL:
Doctor Octopus
Blade
Spider-Woman
Psylocke
Spiral
Multiple Man
Cloak & Dagger
Black Widow
The Hood
Kingpin
Mystique
Loki
Vision
Silver Surfer
Green Goblin
Juggernaut

CAPCOM:
Katt (Breath of Fire II)
SonSon
Mai-Ling (Red Earth)
Arieta (Cyberbots)
Rouge (Power Stone)
Tessa (Red Earth)
Anita (Darkstalkers)
Nina (Breath of Fire 1)
Gene
X

Doctor Octopus had a functioning model but ate up too much RAM. And iirc the Onimusha protagonist from 1 was actually in the final roster after they passed on Soki, but had to be cut because using the actor's face wasn't authorized by his agency (interestingly enough, it probably would be auorized now considering the Onimusha remaster).

I'm more of a Capcom guy, but the Marvel side of this roster is 10x more interesting to me.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It was Nina and Fou Lu.

MARVEL:
Doctor Octopus
Blade
Spider-Woman
Psylocke
Spiral
Multiple Man
Cloak & Dagger
Black Widow
The Hood
Kingpin
Mystique
Loki
Vision
Silver Surfer
Green Goblin
Juggernaut

CAPCOM:
Katt (Breath of Fire II)
SonSon
Mai-Ling (Red Earth)
Arieta (Cyberbots)
Rouge (Power Stone)
Tessa (Red Earth)
Anita (Darkstalkers)
Nina (Breath of Fire 1)
Gene
X

This just makes me even more sad that the final roster is what we got.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting is that out of that list, Carol and Black Widow are the only ones to make it BUT Green Goblin was teased by a Marvel producer at San Diego Comic Con 2017 and Gill was part of the rumored Season 2 DLC.

Goblin is the only one I'd bet on for a hypothetical Marvel 4. And I suppose Doctor Octopus because I assume they still have all the animation and moveset work they did on the character.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to get more Spidey characters. GG and Ock are two of my favourites along with Mysterio. I'd have loved to get all three. Capcom's side... well I'd love many of their games to get represented - Gene, Asura, the plane from 1942/car from LED Storm (Capcom would make it work)...

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of hardcore fans say mvci has the best gameplay. So I'd say they should bring back the gameplay of MVCI coupled with the visuals of MVC3 and coupled with the music and "Type" of Roster from MVC2.

In all honesty though? Just make Capcom all-stars. They'd have full creative freedome and it would turn out a lot better.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
A lot of hardcore fans say mvci has the best gameplay. So I'd say they should bring back the gameplay of MVCI coupled with the visuals of MVC3 and coupled with the music and "Type" of Roster from MVC2.

In all honesty though? Just make Capcom all-stars. They'd have full creative freedome and it would turn out a lot better.

The conversation there is on sales potential. But I think if the game is of quality it'll even that out, especially since you can still book on the popular characters. SFxT and MVC:I both would've sold better if they were the quality people wanted.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna play as Daredevil and Moon Knight, breh.
Daredevil is the most obvious choice that's never been included in the VS series IMO. Popular in the 90s, normal athetlic build (easy model to make) and acrobatic moveset that's take 5 mins to conceptualize, opens up a wide variety of side characters to introduce like Electra/Bullseye/Typhoid Mary/Kingpin etc etc.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The conversation there is on sales potential. But I think if the game is of quality it'll even that out, especially since you can still book on the popular characters. SFxT and MVC:I both would've sold better if they were the quality people wanted.
I think the main reason MVCI specifically, didn't sell is because of the bad Roster and horrible graphics. The Story mode was also really bad, but I think that's what actually made the game sell those 1 million copies (if I remember right).

The quality in gameplay was certainly there. What was missing was basically the quality everywhere else.

I *think* that's all they need to fix to make MVC4 a real success. But then again, you never really know with Fighting games today. It's always a gamble.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I think the main reason MVCI specifically, didn't sell is because of the bad Roster and horrible graphics. The Story mode was also really bad, but I think that's what actually made the game sell those 1 million copies (if I remember right).

The quality in gameplay was certainly there. What was missing was basically the quality everywhere else.

I *think* that's all they need to fix to make MVC4 a real success. But then again, you never really know with Fighting games today. It's always a gamble.
Yeah. The gameplay at its base was good. But the roster was missing a lot of favorites, the graphics were memed on from the moment Chun-Li was seen in close-up, and it just didn't really do anything to satisfy any particular audience beyond the mechanics.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Daredevil should have a hyper combo where the screen turns dark except for his opponent. Also it wouldn't work on another Daredevil.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What's interesting is that out of that list, Carol and Black Widow are the only ones to make it BUT Green Goblin was teased by a Marvel producer at San Diego Comic Con 2017 and Gill was part of the rumored Season 2 DLC.

Goblin is the only one I'd bet on for a hypothetical Marvel 4. And I suppose Doctor Octopus because I assume they still have all the animation and moveset work they did on the character.
If we go outside of the list, I'd also put money down for Ms. Marvel & maybe Star-Lord (both of whom were rumored).

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

At this point, they'd be better off waiting until next-gen for any new fighting game. It's too late in the generation to justify releasing a fighting game that Capcom would ideally want to support for multiple years.

Its bout to be at least 3 spider people in the next marvel
IF we get an MvC4. Though funny enough, we almost got Miles in UMvC3 (he was apparently one of the 8 cut characters).

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I would prefer if the next MVC-style game looked more like Arcsys' GG and DBFZ titles with their 3D that looks 2D. It looks better than any other fighter.

I'd be fine with just having Capcom Fighters, although I'd mourn the shit out of Magneto. DMC5 Dante and Nero would be insane in a MVC-style fighter.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
At this point, they'd be better off waiting until next-gen for any new fighting game. It's too late in the generation to justify releasing a fighting game that Capcom would ideally want to support for multiple years.

IF we get an MvC4. Though funny enough, we almost got Miles in UMvC3 (he was apparently one of the 8 cut characters).

That's definitely a concern over a fighter this late in the game. I guess the idea would be betting on popularity. If it's popular enough a release now with a season pass and then a new port with the pass included that's still crossplay with old versions could work out. But I realize how much extra work that already is.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer if the next MVC-style game looked more like Arcsys' GG and DBFZ titles with their 3D that looks 2D. It looks better than any other fighter.

I'd be fine with just having Capcom Fighters, although I'd mourn the shit out of Magneto. DMC5 Dante and Nero would be insane in a MVC-style fighter.

That would be cool, but sadly, it's a slow, costly proccess, an MVC game releasing with, say, the initial roster number of DBFZ would not fly even if it looked like DBFZ.

MVC needs massive rosters, i'd rather have MVC3 graphics and a massive roster than incredible DBFZ graphics with a sub 30 base roster.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think its more of a when.

And I'm aware, but we defo getting miles for sure now.
On one hand, I recognize that Capcom franchises have returned from worse (Devil May Cry would have some stories to tell on that front, namely with regards to DMC2). But at the same time, nothing is certain, especially after MvCI. While I won't jump on the "MvC is Dead" bandwagon, I don't feel confident that another entry is guaranteed.

That's definitely a concern over a fighter this late in the game. I guess the idea would be betting on popularity. If it's popular enough a release now with a season pass and then a new port with the pass included that's still crossplay with old versions could work out. But I realize how much extra work that already is.
The thing with Capcom is that in a perfect world, they'd do multiple seasons of DLC. Hard to do that when you have to juggle current-get & next-gen hardware. In my opinion, unless Capcom wants to do a Switch port for whatever fighting game is coming next, just save it for the next-gen consoles.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could also argue that a game with lower-poly count models and recycled models from the Capcom side of previous Marvel games is a perfect late-generation/crossgen title, since SF6 and its super detailed characters would not be ready before year 2 of the console.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Graphically I really only want the game to look like an improved MvC3. That style was really nice to begin with, so a next gen version of that would be perfect for me. DBZ/GGX both look insanely good, but there's something in the way they animate that bothers me... something about them seeming sorta choppy? Maybe its just me.

But either way, a big roster is a must especially if they go back to being a 3 on 3 fighter as the format. At least the whole stupid X-Men/FF ban is over, while I didn't mind them focusing on other MCU characters it was just so weird to be missing Wolverine especially...

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Heres hoping any new marvel fighting game gets announced this year. The thirst is so real right now. Thread is bringing back a lot of memories.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Heres hoping any new marvel fighting game gets announced this year. The thirst is so real right now. Thread is bringing back a lot of memories.
For one, it's too late in the generation to justify another fighting game that would likely get DLC for years. Likewise, with NRS on their MK-Injustice pattern (Ed Boon openly talking about his talks with Marvel about an idea for a Marvel vs. DC game kinda takes NRS off the table) & Arc System Works having their plate full, that only leaves Capcom, Bandai Namco, & SNK.

If we do get another Marvel fighting game in the future, I wouldn't expect it until next-gen. That's just my prediction on the matter.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
For one, it's too late in the generation to justify another fighting game that would likely get DLC for years. Likewise, with NRS on their MK-Injustice pattern (Ed Boon openly talking about his talks with Marvel about an idea for a Marvel vs. DC game kinda takes NRS off the table) & Arc System Works having their plate full, that only leaves Capcom, Bandai Namco, & SNK.

If we do get another Marvel fighting game in the future, I wouldn't expect it until next-gen. That's just my prediction on the matter.
Next gen will be announced at E3 or around TGS time this year anyway so we'd be talking about roughly the same release timeframe anyway, right?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Next gen will be announced at E3 or around TGS time this year anyway so we'd be talking about roughly the same release timeframe anyway, right?
Maybe for Xbox, but it's possible that PS5 may not be announced until early next year. Likewise, I'd imagine that we wouldn't get a Marvel fighting game reveal until well into the generation. Assuming that Capcom does another Marvel fighting game, they typically do Street Fighter before a Versus game.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
Related/unrelated

Back in '98, I swore that if you put a quarter into a MVC1 machine, it would scream 'Let's Go Payday'...because money was going in, right?! Even Adam Heart who worked on MVC Origins agreed with me. My hopes were dashed with this poster. I later aquired this holographic print from the JP release of MVC2, gonna get it framed and put ducktape over 'crazy' for 'payday'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrkI1URB84

264271d6fb6ab4cd92cae0a0c77b5d35.jpg

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Related/unrelated

Back in '98, I swore that if you put a quarter into a MVC1 machine, it would scream 'Let's Go Payday'...because money was going in, right?! Even Adam Heart who worked on MVC Origins agreed with me. My hopes were dashed with this poster. I later aquired this holographic print from the JP release of MVC2, gonna get it framed and put ducktape over 'crazy' for 'payday'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrkI1URB84

264271d6fb6ab4cd92cae0a0c77b5d35.jpg
I... I never imagined you could hear it as "payday". It was always "Let's go crazy!" to me, even as a dumb kid.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me play Infinite for the first time in a year, and despite being ugly as sin all of the newcomers are really fun to use. A well-executed Marvel vs. Capcom 4 would be a godsend.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me play Infinite for the first time in a year, and despite being ugly as sin all of the newcomers are really fun to use. A well-executed Marvel vs. Capcom 4 would be a godsend.
Black Panther was a disappointment though.

I'd say Winter Soldier was my favorite addition.