• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
UK
It just needs to be a real evolution of MvC3's style. MvCi had no style and a bad roster but really good gameplay that no one cared about because the game was so ugly.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I remember Niitsuma (I think) saying that mvc3 was an attempt to design the style of the game around American comic books, instead of the way the took with previous game, were they were more colorful and stylish, more like an anime or Japanese way to design marvel characters. Umvc3 was perfect in that regard, with they more level down tone but still really colorful. But for me what is the key element of those games is that they feel like a party, both universes colliding and characters interacting with each other. It was all about the fun. MVCI attempts on a "cinematic" experience with and lame-broke ass Story mode that nobody liked and that middle point with realistic art style for animated characters with probably one of the worst use of chromatic aberration I've seen in a game. Not even Tekken 7 did it as bad.

I don't care which style an hypothetical MVC4 would use, but it has to be a celebration. They need to put these characters to interact in the most fun way possible. That's all i want

TNhQnQU.jpg

NDjYC2O.jpg
NDjYC2O.jpg

c4JNOvS.jpg

I wouldn't mind if they went with this style for the next Vs game. In fact, I'd love for them to.

Also, I agree completely. MVC3 felt like a celebration between the universe. MVCI felt like they just slapped it together.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I don't care which style an hypothetical MVC4 would use, but it has to be a celebration. They need to put these characters to interact in the most fun way possible. That's all i want
This is the most important thing. Like OP said, the only franchise in MvCI that even remotely felt celebrated was Megaman X (Which granted, I'm completely okay with).

MvC3 was way better in those regards.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind if they went with this style for the next Vs game. In fact, I'd love for them to.

Also, I agree completely. MVC3 felt like a celebration between the universe. MVCI felt like they just slapped it together.
Something like that would be terrific, yes. MVC3 did the interacting part in a splendid way. Characters yelling each others names (or even using nicknames or puns), intros and outputs full of comics and capcom games references, the way the music mixes everytime you tagged-in or out a fighter, the alternate costumes, etc etc. Infinite on the other hand, barely gave us any artwork outside the variant cover art for some numbers, and even then, there's 0 artwork that features all the characters together. The game didn't feel like it was Marvel .vs Capcom, but MCU vs a really poor representation of the Capcom universe. I meant, just take a look at some of the UMVC3 official art:

lTaw52S.jpg

MVCI didn't even try to appeal to neither of the fanbase from both companies. Alternate costumes didn't make sense in most cases, they changed the themes for a lot of characters, and they even removed the interaction between them. How is that when you pick Iron Man and Captain America as a team, the first one only says "Captain" or some generic phrase? What a waste!

If anyone from Capcom is reading this post, you know what you need to do. Make it like those characters are interacting in a world created for the series, like it always feel until MVCI. It what we all want.

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something like that would be terrific, yes. MVC3 did the interacting part in a splendid way. Characters yelling each others names (or even using nicknames or puns), intros and outputs full of comics and capcom games references, the way the music mixes everytime you tagged-in or out a fighter, the alternate costumes, etc etc. Infinite on the other hand, barely gave us any artwork outside the variant cover art for some numbers, and even then, there's 0 artwork that features all the characters together. The game didn't feel like it was Marvel .vs Capcom, but MCU vs a really poor representation of the Capcom universe. I meant, just take a look at some of the UMVC3 official art:

lTaw52S.jpg

MVCI didn't even try to appeal to neither of the fanbase from both companies. Alternate costumes didn't make same in most cases, they changed the themes for a lot of characters, and they even removed the interaction between them. How is that when you pick Iron Man and Captain America as a team, the first one only says "Captain" or some generic phrase? What a waste!

If anyone from Capcom is reading this post, you just know what you need to do. Make it like those characters are interacting in a world created for the series, like it always feel until MVCI. It what we all want.
Lol what, MvC2 is the most slapped together game in the series like literally. Also it doesn't even have individual character theme nor does it have stages that are relevent to any of the universe the characters are from. MVC2 is awful at this but nostalgia and all that.

(Ok it has the danger room, fine).

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Also they need to hire whoever does the voice direction and casting of SFV for any future fighting title. Why does everyone in Marvel Infinite sound depressed and unenthusiastic compared to the godlike VA in UMvC3?
The only VAs that really sound great in Infinite are Jedah and Sigma's. It's almost off-putting how enthusiastic their line delivery is compared to everyone else on the roster.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Lol what, MvC2 is the most slapped together game in the series like literally. Also it doesn't even have individual character theme nor does it have stages that are relevent to any of the universe the characters are from. MVC2 is awful at this but nostalgia and all that.

(Ok it has the danger room, fine).
With the exception of MVC2, i guess...But still the game has a legacy of his own strong enough in the gameplay department for people do feedback back when mvc3 was announced, asking for the game to be "more like MVC2" and "less like tvc". I remember Seth Killian saying exactly that. They were doing a lot of tweaks for the game to be similar to mvc2, yet different enough to keep old a new fans happy. It also has some fun character art and the OST, while i didn't personally like it, it still has it charms (i mean, people still remember I wanna take you for a ride), and overall it has that "Capcom" feeling from that era. You can call it nostalgia if you like.

My point is, the game still feel like a marvel .vs Capcom game, while MVCI barely does it.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
MVC should be a celebration of videogames/comics/movies similar to how Smash Bros Ult treats its franchises and characters.

Throwback stages, throwback music, new stuff along with the everyone is here mentality. It was awesome to see all the covers of MVC games comprise the background of the UMVC3 character selection.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Infinite had some great additions to the roster so I'd keep them then add on some of the missing essentials from UMvC3 (X-Men, F4, etc) and try to aim for a roster close in size to it as well. Definitely needs to go back to the comics shading as well. I'd also personally love to see 3v3 and the old Capcom themes for the Marvel cast return.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I really wonder if Capcom could ever live up to what UMvC3 presented to us.

-A terrific roster of characters, the best and most well-balanced out of the entire series that represents many different franchises and brands across both Capcom and Marvel
-Presentation and style out the wazoo, with it looking like a moving comic book and with lots of cute character interactions
-Fun and frantic gameplay that somehow had most of the cast actually be at least semi-viable
-Music filled with catchy remixes and original tunes (Hawkeye's theme is still one of the best character themes in any game ever)

It's not without its flaws (Arcade mode is rather barebones, online was extremely hit-or-miss, some gameplay issues like Lightning Loops, TAC infinites, and Morrigan "Sister Sister" shenanigans), but it was a fantastic blend of everything that people love about this series. MvC:I completely missed the mark in this regard, even if it purportedly plays better. Can Capcom look at what worked here (and what didn't in MvC:I) and improve on it in another sequel? I honestly don't know.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I really only care about the Capcom side of the roster and Infinite was truly sad in that department

even bringing Jedah back wasn't enough to save it

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Also they need to hire whoever does the voice direction and casting of SFV for any future fighting title. Why does everyone in Marvel Infinite sound depressed and unenthusiastic compared to the godlike VA in UMvC3?
With the exception of Cap, Tony, & Hawkeye, everyone on the Marvel side was pulled from the current cartoons.

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
TNhQnQU.jpg

NDjYC2O.jpg
NDjYC2O.jpg

c4JNOvS.jpg

This still feels very generic IMO. Settling for something like this when Capcom has artist like Shinkiro and Ikeno at their disposal would be incredibly disappointing.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people see 2D sprites as the mark of a budget title and not worth paying $60 for, and I'm sure Capcom is looking to maximize sales their games as much as possible. Ergo, 2D realistically isn't happening in this day and age.
That sound like a crappy self fullfilling prophecy to me.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
With the exception of Cap, Tony, & Hawkeye, everyone on the Marvel side was pulled from the current cartoons.
They did a bad job, if you ask me. You can tell the difference just in the way they scream their attacks. Spencer's bionic arm is a fine example. Capcom can do a proper MVC4 with just the legacy of the series itself. Just look at MSH .vs SF intro, the best of the series IMHO:

Is all there, they just need to live up to it. I also agree with some people about umvc3 roster. Capcom absolutely nailed that too. Everybody in umvc3 its fun and feels very unique. They even throw a bone to old school fans of both companies with things like Shuma-Gorath. You could say Capcom and Marvel at least tried with MVCI, but the effort didn't feel like it was enough. I mean, look at the alt covers, the only thing we got:

wwgmarvelvscapcomcomics6-1013143.jpg

wwgmarvelvscapcomcomics5-1013142.jpg

wwgmarvelvscapcomcomics3-1013140.jpg

nded

Nov 14, 2017
A game actually having Shinkiro style faces would be truly off-putting.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
They don't need to follow any specific art, i guess. In a fighting game this fast you really don't pay much attention of characters model (is everything else is on point), unless they are really bad done (see MVCI Chun-Li). ie vergil from UMVC3, its pretty accurate:

LeGmItq.jpg

The new models on MVCI are also very well done. Captain Marvel, Ultron and Jedah look amazing, while the ones that came from the previous game just feel while output. Venom also looks very good in the game:

TUVvclr.jpg

Like i said, its all about which artstyle they want to follow. And i personally believe that an extension of umvc3 should be enough

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if Capcom could ever live up to what UMvC3 presented to us.

-A terrific roster of characters, the best and most well-balanced out of the entire series that represents many different franchises and brands across both Capcom and Marvel
-Presentation and style out the wazoo, with it looking like a moving comic book and with lots of cute character interactions
-Fun and frantic gameplay that somehow had most of the cast actually be at least semi-viable
-Music filled with catchy remixes and original tunes (Hawkeye's theme is still one of the best character themes in any game ever)

It's not without its flaws (Arcade mode is rather barebones, online was extremely hit-or-miss, some gameplay issues like Lightning Loops, TAC infinites, and Morrigan "Sister Sister" shenanigans), but it was a fantastic blend of everything that people love about this series. MvC:I completely missed the mark in this regard, even if it purportedly plays better. Can Capcom look at what worked here (and what didn't in MvC:I) and improve on it in another sequel? I honestly don't know.
this is really the big question and incidentally where my worries lay.
granted they have been on a roll as far as their other games go this gen so i can only hope that same level of commitment and backing is within/afforded to their fighting game division.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Did it actually do bad though? Despite not having marketing, no word of mouth and negative reception all around, MvCI still sold over a million copies.

Considering it's the like the strongest franchise in the world right now? I would say that's pretty bad

Also I don't buy the Disney blaming. How many lines of code did Disney write? How many characters did they model? How much did they work on the art style?

Even with the forced roster and tight budget, Capcom could've made a MUCH better game.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
MVC should be a celebration of videogames/comics/movies similar to how Smash Bros Ult treats its franchises and characters.

Throwback stages, throwback music, new stuff along with the everyone is here mentality. It was awesome to see all the covers of MVC games comprise the background of the UMVC3 character selection.

Capcom seems perpetually broke though, whereas Nintendo will give Sakurai whatever budget he wants/needs

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I would barely care about a new MvC but thank you for saying the jazz music should make a return. Amen. So much more personality than generic synthy stuff I think.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Considering it's the like the strongest franchise in the world right now? I would say that's pretty bad

Also I don't buy the Disney blaming. How many lines of codes did Disney they write? How many characters did they model? How much did they work on the art style?

Even with the forced roster and tight budget, Capcom could've made a MUCH better game.
Disney is notoroious for dragging their feet on video game projects. There's like half a dozen cancelled Star Wars project over at EA due in part to the creative oversight Disney demands from their contracted devs. The MvCI team was already fighting an uphill battle, I'm sure Disney wasn't exactly helpful or lax with character rights or feedback.

The graphics and all that lay at Capcom's feet but maybe they would have had more time to work on it provided there wasn't a major Avengers film coming out that spring

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of all the sins of MvCI, the terrible themes and sound design is what made me quit. You can fix the visuals with the amazing work of modders, but no one is going to re-record the voices. The person who asked to change the sound design from MvC3 to make it more "cinematic" in Infinite would never understand the appeal of MvC2's funk.
I really doubt Marvel will allow Capcom to do a Smash-like celebration of the franchise. I feel like they don't understand the very concept of MvC (the thing about "you can't show a Capcom character hitting a Marvel character in promotional videos" was petty). At best, they'll allow a 100% Marvel game, but I can't see another MvC game being anything else than compromised.

As someone said, MvC2's backgrounds and musics had nothing specifically Marvel or Capcom. We have more chances to see and hear them again in a pure Capcom vs Capcom game, where they'll be able to go through their catalog and mix things up without asking anyone. More importantly, not tying the game specifically to Marvel and making it "a celebration of VS games" would allow to resurrect True Love Making. Go deep, Capcom. Go wild. Wallets are open.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least, Capcom needs the engine for a theoretical new game to support characters with more than two arms this time so Spiral can make her return to the roster.

At the very LEAST.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, Capcom needs the engine for a theoretical new game to support characters with more than two arms this time so Spiral can make her return to the roster.

At the very LEAST.
I support this. And to make the new engine worth while they can also chuck in Launch Octopus, Dr Octopus and Asura into the roster!

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
They could recycle UMvC3, add another 12 new characters, more stages, slightly revamped graphics and I'd be totally down with it if it was called MvC4.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know how the ball was dropped so hard on MvC4, given how great all previous titles were. Gameplay aside, everything sucked.

I'd be happy going back to the cartoon style of MvC1/2 and having a decent roster of interesting characters, plus staples.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Of all the sins of MvCI, the terrible themes and sound design is what made me quit. You can fix the visuals with the amazing work of modders, but no one is going to re-record the voices. The person who asked to change the sound design from MvC3 to make it more "cinematic" in Infinite would never understand the appeal of MvC2's funk.
I really doubt Marvel will allow Capcom to do a Smash-like celebration of the franchise. I feel like they don't understand the very concept of MvC (the thing about "you can't show a Capcom character hitting a Marvel character in promotional videos" was petty). At best, they'll allow a 100% Marvel game, but I can't see another MvC game being anything else than compromised.

As someone said, MvC2's backgrounds and musics had nothing specifically Marvel or Capcom. We have more chances to see and hear them again in a pure Capcom vs Capcom game, where they'll be able to go through their catalog and mix things up without asking anyone. More importantly, not tying the game specifically to Marvel and making it "a celebration of VS games" would allow to resurrect True Love Making. Go deep, Capcom. Go wild. Wallets are open.
You can thank Marvel for the "cinematic" themes for their characters.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Been thinking about this more.

Do we have an idea of how long the Marvel license usually lasts for Capcom? Capcom acquired the license back in 2008, released MVC2 in 2009, MVC3/UMVC3 in 2011, and MVC Origins in 2012. The license expired in 2014. That's a good 6 yrs. Under the new license, UMVC3 was released in 2016 and MVCI in 2017. They've just released MVCI on Gamepass, so the license seems to be intact. Just unsure for how long.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I have thought about this alot for some reason, lol.

The art style/presentation sucks for MVCi. Toss all that shit.

I would be down just for a Marvel Super Heroes game.

I have watch Spider-man into the multiverse a few times. If they did something like that, different art style choices, that kind of world. A big ole multiverse mash up with different types of marvel characters.

I thought UMVC looked and animated really nice. An extension that would be could.

Buuut, if they could replicate the look and feel of MSH, but to 2020 quality and standards, that would be great. Style/art of MSH, animation quality (but even better) from UMVC3.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
The new models on MVCI are also very well done. Captain Marvel, Ultron and Jedah look amazing, while the ones that came from the previous game just feel while output.
Jedah, I'll give you, but Ultron suffers from the same beefy, almost Liefeldian proportions male characters do (more obvious in his alt costume) and Captain Marvel's entire face/head area is a mess. Her head is either a weird cone upwards and back or her hair is incredibly voluminous in a way that just... doesn't make sense.

Honestly, I don't think any character looks particularly good in Infinite.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

Oh hey, i was wondering when you'd show up here!

I really only care about the Capcom side of the roster and Infinite was truly sad in that department

even bringing Jedah back wasn't enough to save it

Gotta say i thought all the Capcom newcomers were pretty awesome, definitely enjoyed Jedah, X, Sigma and Monster Hunter.

You can thank Marvel for the "cinematic" themes for their characters.

It's a crime that none of the MVC3 themes came back, but i gotta say i liked Iron-man's theme in Infinite. Finally he doesn't have to steal Rodhes' theme anymore!

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Jedah, I'll give you, but Ultron suffers from the same beefy, almost Liefeldian proportions male characters do (more obvious in his alt costume) and Captain Marvel's entire face/head area is a mess. Her head is either a weird cone upwards and back or her hair is incredibly voluminous in a way that just... doesn't make sense.

Honestly, I don't think any character looks particularly good in Infinite.
You think so? i'll find Captain Marvel and Venom to be very good looking. But you are right, not all the new models looks good. Gamora for example, looks atrocious. Mostly as consequence of the overall design of the game, if i had to guess. Its amazing how umvc3 nailed all the little details, from the OST to the way the voice actors did their jobs, to the SFx sounds from all the attacks. In umvc3 Chris Redfield sounds like he is really holding is own again the types of Iron Man. While in MVCI, he sounds like he is about to fall asleep

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly I just want a new game so they'll reuse Jedah's Infinite model. I don't want my Banchou Vampire Priest son to leave again.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
half of the whopping four new guys being Mega Man X characters is not my idea of a good time

maybe they could've turned it around with a second season of DLC

Well, i do like Megaman X a lot so, i had no problem with that, specially cause Sigma is my fave character to play as in Infinite. I do have a bone to pick with how few new characters the Capcom side got, but i liked what we got.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
half of the whopping four new guys being Mega Man X characters is not my idea of a good time

maybe they could've turned it around with a second season of DLC

I've made my complaints on the overload of Megaman MVC:I had. They heard the complaints on no X in MVC3 and course corrected too hard into it. I'd have had less complaints if Sigma and Mon Hun were in the base roster.

Mon Hun, Sigma, Black Panther and Venom seemed like they were meant to be in the game and for whatever reason pushed back into DLC. Which is why you have all this symbiote stuff, but end up with Black Suit Spider-man as a fight.

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
Capcom all stars too
More dark stalkers characters.
A new dark stalkers would be my dream.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
We need to start collectively complaining about the lack of Breath of Fire in MvC.