• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
A decade ago, Playstation 3 was sold for 600 euros. Let's imagine one or two of the consolemakers decide to release their system for 600 dollars minimum, up to 800 dollars.

How would you react? Is thislikely to happen because of inflation? Or will we keep consoles sold between 400 and 500 dollars?If the infamous Trump Tax stays, would it impact pricesin Europe to avoid upsetting American customers?

I don't see this likely to happen, but sometimes, companies can be overconfident and make awful decisions.Cold theyjustify such prices and sell this to you?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I react by not buying one.

I'll buy a console at $400, maybe $500 for a premium one, but $600-$800, no.

If I were a betting man, I'd say $400 as the base console price and then $500 might be an upgrade SKU. Inflation has not raised significantly enough in the US to make much of an impact on the price of the console. US $400 in 2013 is roughly equivalent to $440 today, and it's enough where console manufacturers would cut a corner or take a small loss to hit the $400 price point.

For tariffs, we'll see. I sort of suspect companies like Microsoft and Sony will lobby the feds to get some exception to a tariff if the proposedTrump tariffs on consumer electronic goods from China are implemented, or they'll take a short term loss planning for tariffs to be lifted; or they'd delay releasing the console if tariffs are maintained and drive the price up ~25%. The current expected launch date is ... what, like November 2020? I think it'd be unlikely that the Trump Administration would continue to pursue tariffs on consumer electronics going into holiday 2020, an election year. A legitimate 25% increase on consumer electronics goods at almost no perceptible gain to voters, during the holiday buying season, would be a really bad political strategy.

Last edited:

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know how they dont cost that much if they both use decent sized ssd storage.

Im there day one regardless though.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think how much I'll have to put aside per month until launch so that it's not a huge hit to my disposable income for the month it comes out.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm fully expecting it. i'll be like 'whatever' (not that i can easily afford it, it's just something i've been anticipating for awhile)

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the launch exclusives. If it launches with something like Breath of the Wild I'll jump in like I did for Switch. If not, I'll wait a couple years like I usually do.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Depending on day 1 or soon to be released exclusives, I might suck it up.

Most likely I'll just buy a graphics card and be PC/Switch until prices drop.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Well I wont even buy them at 400 so I guess it'll take a bit longer then

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
499€ is the max I am willing to pay for the PS5, so I would just wait.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
"Man, Nintendo have really been onto something these past few generations..."

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What games are out? That will decide whether I'm willing to spend 100 or 1000 dollars on a system.

It's all about value - if there's enough games I'm interested in playing, that will justify the console's price, plain and simple.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
That's what we pay for a new decent GPU alone on PC, so I'd honestly won't mind if the performance was satisfying

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Hard pass until a price reduction happens. $400 USD is the highest I would go for a console on its release.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd go from Day One to Year Two haha. Honestly it's a silly question, even the console makers know a price jump to 800 dollars would devastate the game market.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's a US Tariff thing and us Canadians don't have to deal with it. If we do.. I suck it up and buy them.