• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I'm confused now, lol. So they're coming full circle.

I called the Xbox 360 the 360 because I thought that signified the gen. I guess some could call the Xbox One the One for the same reasons.

In my mind, Series X is what 360 was.

Like they're all called Xbox like all Sony home consoles are called PlayStation.

What comes next is the differentiator: 360, One, 1, 2, 3, 4.

"Hey I got a PlayStation" Ok, which one? "Insert number here"

"Hey, I got an Xbox" Ok, which one? "Insert name here"

I don't know....I guess it's how we each see the names.

Yeah this is how I see it. For all practical purposes the Series X is a new, separate console in a new console generation.

If they release a Series S (or whatever letter) then people will just consider the "Series" as the console, much like there's a PS4 and PS4 Pro - same console generation, different models.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
How could MS blow us this badly, fathers are going to confuse the new 500 usd Xbox "series" consoles with the retro OG Xbox and the 150 usd Xbox one. People are going to go back to the stores to return their OG xbox because it won't run Halo Infinite.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox: Series C = Cloud box (runs game logic locally but streams all else from the cloud)
Xbox: Series S = Standard/Slim
Xbox: Series X = Xtra power
Xbox: Series XX = Mid generation refresh
I'm looking forward to the Xbox: Series M (mobile/portable) personally.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
g97c32B.png

Armageddon 2020: A Deep Impact movie

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
The naming of this product continues to get worse somehow. Marketing departments don't seem care about clarity anymore.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm so confused I just went out and bought a Xbox only to come home and realize it's the one that came out 20 years ago! I was wondering why it was only $40 at the pawn shop.

Thank, Phil. Thanks a lot.

oni_gank

Banned
May 13, 2019
Yesterday, I was pretty clear about the idea behind the naming...It makes total sense. A new era, a new series x (series s, c, etc.)

But now, damn Microsoft. You make it not so easy again huh? lol. Like how many Xboxes you have had released already?? they are also called XBOX.

The next Sony's console is Playstation 5, not the Playstation.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's more convoluted than sequential numbers but let's not pretend it's confusing.
It'd be silly to say it's not even remotely confusing. Initially they referred to it as Series X, now it's the Xbox. Even their language doesn't seem to be entirely consistent on the naming conventions.

Even beyond that, if you don't think two consoles with the same name isn't the least bit confusing I dunno what to tell ya.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I honestly don't get how anybody is confused. It's like a car. Xbox is the make. The Series X part is the model. My mother and I both have a jeep. But I have a compass and she has a grand cherokee. I'm not sure i understand the confusion here.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Love how people say it's simple to understand yet there has been nothing but confusion and mixed messages since reveal.
Next PS is PS5... cool as expected. Wonder what games itll launch with?

New Nintendo is Switch... cool makes sense since it switches from a home console to a portable. Have you seen Zelda??!!

Xbox Series X... so there is the Xbox One X and now this? 2 Xbox X consoles that are both the most powerful?
Is this the top spec or the Lockhart one?
So there will be more Xbox Series consoles?
A few days later... MS "No it's just called Xbox"

I'm sure itll all make sense come launch but it should really be a lot simpler. We should be discussing the games specs, not the damn name.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
It's really not confusing from an inside and knowledgeable view. But for people not in the know it's going to be dumb.

Like, "I think my nephew has an Xbox?"
"Is it the one X or the series X?"
"O.o I don't know?"

From an external and not informed point of view it's a dumb naming convention. It doesn't inform the customer in any way. Only the price and shape will differentiate It. I can forget this kind of weird naming with Nintendo, they have had great success marketing the information to people and the public eats it up. Microsoft doesn't seem to have that luck.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Just call it "Xbox Series 2". Dumb grandparents will understand that "Xbox Series 2" comes after "Xbox One", and the folks looking to buy the next Xbox won't give a shit either way.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
If people could tell the difference between the Xbox One X and the Xbox One S I think they'll be able to tell the difference between an Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X. Plus it will be shown and marketed everywhere. Not sure if anyone noticed but the thing looks like no other console ever.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The original Xbox released almost 20 years ago. There aren't very many conversations where there's going to be confusion between the newest Xbox and the original one.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Oh. Like macbooks. Yeah that makes sense, they've taken the name all over the place, it's the only neat way left.

I still like my numbered Playstations.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the Series X part in relation to Xbox. Have I miscounted and it's the tenth Xbox? I don't think it'll really change much but what is with Microsoft and naming their consoles? I just looked at their Surface line and it makes so much more sense (although recently they released the Pro X which is a bit weird). Does this have to do with Windows 10 or something?
X is related to power. Mantra of first Xbox was. No power greater then X. So Xbox One X was called like that. And now this has it also. To show what the flagship model is.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
So... that black cool looking monolith shaped hardware.

What's that called??

Do you say "hey! I just bought a Series X!" When you refer to it?

There is zero joke/sacarsm in this post, I genuinely want to know

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
So... that black cool looking monolith shaped hardware.

What's that called??

Do you say "hey! I just bought a Series X!" When you refer to it?

There is zero joke/sacarsm in this post, I genuinely want to know

Saying Xbox Series X or Series X would work fine. Think of it like any car.

"I got a Honda!"
"What model?"
"Civic"

"Hey I got an xbox!"
"Nice which one?"
"Series X"

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Saying Xbox Series X or Series X would work fine. Think of it like any car.

"I got a Honda!"
"What model?"
"Civic"

"Hey I got an xbox!"
"Nice which one?"
"Series X"

Ok but.... isn't series a plural?

Series sounds like a group of different pieces of hardware.

It would make sense to me if series x was the group name for Anaconda, Lockhart and xcloud but what do I know..

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Wii is the make, U is the model, and no one was ever confused by it.

They weren't confused by the name, they were confused by nintendo's marketing of only showing the tablet and not discussing the actual new hardware leading up to launch and during the holidays. Anyone who worked in retail could tell you the same. Most people thought it was just a tablet.

This is not a confusing name at all. People handle iphone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max just fine.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA

Everyone is getting too black and white about all this. People use slang and everyone calls things differently. Some people say Switch, some say Nintendo, some say the full Nintendo Switch title. At the end of the day consumers aren't as dumb as everyone in this thread is thinking they are. If someone is going to drop $500 on a console they know what theyre getting. The Wii U sold poorly for a number of reasons, and a better name would not have fixed that.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Reading through this thread gives me a fucking headache. How can so many people here not understand such a simple concept?

I'll make it even simpler: think cars.

Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Year: 2010
Make: Xbox
Model: Series X
Year: 2020
or
Model: Series S
...or
Year: 2025
Etc..

I agree. This is where it's going. It might not be totally obvious to all now, but I see this is where it's going.

I also think MacBook line is a good analogy. Especially since they're not reset every year, like a game console.

Series X will be the high end line, and will be iteratively upgraded over time.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Le
If you need more than two sentences to explain the name then you've failed imo

Yeah but we already know Series X is the next gen Console and not an accessory from an old machine.

Why does no one want to say that wiiU was not attractive at all? bad line Up, it was the console that opened the next gen with very little power, the communication was awful.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Old people will be confused by Xbox One and get the old console because 360 is a higher number than One!"

You're allegedly meant to be some smart people - It's really not that difficult fellas.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
One thing that I think they didn't consider is communities like reddit. With the new naming everyone should go to r/xbox but the bigger community is r/xboxone, ideally everyone from r/xboxone should go to r/xbox (mods & rules too) but that may not happen. The same thing goes for fan pages, facebook, twitter. Compared to the Sony side where people from r/ps4 will just naturally abandon that subreddit for r/ps5.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading through this thread gives me a fucking headache. How can so many people here not understand such a simple concept?

I'll make it even simpler: think cars.

Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Year: 2010
or
Model: Series S
...or
Year: 2025
Etc..

Exactly. The next iteration will be called the same, but it'll be years later. Advertising will be different (reverting back to adding "the new"), and it'll look different.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was pretty obvious, and honestly in a world of PCs, phones and more adopting much more confusing naming models, it's not exactly too confusing ultimately. Could you tell from logic alone that the nVidia GeForce 4 MX was weaker than a GeForce 3? Could you tell from naming alone that a Huawei P9 Lite was not as good as a P8 Pro? Could you tell from naming alone than the new Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare is a new game and not a remake of the first game? No, you couldn't, but this really didn't tank the companies making them. Internet exists, store clerks exist. If you're a clueless mom walking into GameStop because you want you buy your son the latest Xbox, it could be called Xbox 1, 2, 5, 720, Next, YOLOSWAG or Series X, she will ask the dude working there which one she shall buy, or she already looked it up online or talked about it in detail with the son. That's about it. Always worked, always will work.

Nov 8, 2017
From where I'm sitting, this new family of devices will be referred to as the "Xbox Series" family if there are multiple devices. For all intents and purposes, "Series" will be the direct replacement for "360" and "One", since we will need a word to describe software that is compatible with both Series X and Series S or One.

"I bought the Xbox version of [insert game name]" will of course also be used as slang like it always has, but will become unusually confusing during the transitional era if games literally ship with a label that just says "XBOX" and nothing else, which would be abysmal.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be silly to say it's not even remotely confusing. Initially they referred to it as Series X, now it's the Xbox. Even their language doesn't seem to be entirely consistent on the naming conventions.

Even beyond that, if you don't think two consoles with the same name isn't the least bit confusing I dunno what to tell ya.

It's no more confusing than the new Doom or Modern Warfare games. Or are they confusing as well? It's going to be pretty easy to distinguish what console someone's talking about.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
From where I'm sitting, this new family of devices will be referred to as the "Xbox Series" family if there are multiple devices. For all intents and purposes, "Series" will be the direct replacement for "360" and "One", since we will need a word to describe software that is compatible with both Series X and Series S or One.

"I bought the Xbox version of [insert game name]" will of course also be used as slang like it always has, but will become unusually confusing during the transitional era if games literally ship with a label that just says "XBOX" and nothing else, which would be abysmal.

For me, "Series" is really a very poor choice as a brand identification replacement for 360(good choice) and One(poor one). Its a very generic, descriptive term for a family of products and could easily be applied to a lot of other consumer products. You could use the phrase Nintendo Switch series to specify the Nintendo Switch product line which includes the base Switch and the Switch Lite.

I think "Xbox X series" (the series suffix completely droppeable) highlights the fact that the name of the next gen Xbox is just "Xbox" better than Xbox Series X.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Days later I am still trying to wrap my head around this "Series X" nonsense

Just be normal

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get how anybody is confused. It's like a car. Xbox is the make. The Series X part is the model. My mother and I both have a jeep. But I have a compass and she has a grand cherokee. I'm not sure i understand the confusion here.

Yeah I feel like it's manufactured confusion. Too many consumer products use this exact branding method for people to argue that consumers won't get it.