• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I thought this was fairly obvious. It might have been clearer for everyone if they had announced both versions at the same time (assuming the rumors are true). Either way, glad they are moving towards just "Xbox" as the name.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I gaurantee that in about 5 years the product lineup will looking something like this -

Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series D
Xbox Series X1 Pro
Xbox Series S Digital

"What Xbox does Game A work with?"

"Game A is the latest FPS from Game Company 1, and is designed to work with Xbox Series X1 Pro, Series S Digital, and Series X, but is not compatible with Series S and Series D".

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Is it just Xbox now, and then they'll have new subnames?

Is it Xbox Series X, with subnames following that?

No?

The Xbox Series X is the console that was just revealed. In the family of consoles called "Xbox", it is the "Series X". Just like the Apple Watch Series 5 is a particular watch in the Apple Watch Family, or the Braun Series 9 is a particular razor in the Braun family of Razors.

If they're going to release a second console, it will be the "Xbox Series L" or Series C or S or whatever.

Will parents be confused between the Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X?

Personally I doubt Microsoft will keep selling both.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I don't understand the Series X part in relation to Xbox. Have I miscounted and it's the tenth Xbox? I don't think it'll really change much but what is with Microsoft and naming their consoles? I just looked at their Surface line and it makes so much more sense (although recently they released the Pro X which is a bit weird). Does this have to do with Windows 10 or something?

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully doesn't confuse people. We're talking about people who still call every Nintendo console the Wii

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Is this a gag? They called it the XBox Series X at the show. Why would people have to "work hard" to be confused?
Some people are probably unused to "Series whatever" nomenclature for products, despite it kind of being used in a lot of retail niches. Others are probably concern trolling.

The guy who thought that the console was called something else despite it being the only thing shown in every bit of marketing using the words "Xbox Series X" is a real baffler. Either he was really reaching for something to "be confused" about, or he is just genuinely confused by life.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... obviously every XBox is an XBox with a specific model name. I don't see how this is any different than XBox One or 360.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Some people are probably unused to "Series whatever" nomenclature for products, despite it kind of being used in a lot of retail niches. Others are probably concern trolling.

The guy who thought that the console was called something else despite it being the only thing shown in every bit of marketing using the words "Xbox Series X" is a real baffler. Either he was really reaching for something to "be confused" about, or he is just genuinely confused by life.

I genuinely thought it was called the XBox Series X. Not concern trolling.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
They should've just called it XBAWKS.

The spelling let's you know it is brand new, and it isn't confusing at all. Boom.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I can only speak for myself when I say I genuinely do not understand the X part of the name. Nothing you went into in your previous post, including the stuff about the Apple Watch, rationalizes that part. The only thing I can think of is that Microsoft has everything built around Windows 10. Their naming conventions for their consoles have been poor since the 360.

It will become more obvious once they announce Lockhart.

What is your best guess as to the name of this console? Series D for digital?

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I guess that's what's comes up with the beyond generations approach, no more generations, just upgrades to the "Xbox", which is understandable as the console becomes more and more like a PC.
Considering the Xbox One has two models, I suppose Xbox will follow 2 models too.

Xbox One X -> Xbox Series X -> Xbox Series X2
Xbox One S -> Xbox Series S -> Xbox Series S2

The prospect that Lockhart may not launch alongside the XSX is dissapointing yet understandable as they likely will need to components to get cheaper to get to the target price. Enthusiasts and early adopters will buy the most expensive option anyway.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X

Tesla Model S
Tesla Model 3

I totally get what it was meant to be and I like it, I think it's good. But yes, it is a bit weird in the mouth.

Xbox X Series sounds pretty cool, X series or S series. But again clunky.

I think they are just backed into a corner on this X thing

Last edited:

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
so it's actually called series x then. Microsoft should change their language so they dont say 'Xbox series x'

cant have their cake and eat it too

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I can only speak for myself when I say I genuinely do not understand the X part of the name. Nothing you went into in your previous post, including the stuff about the Apple Watch, rationalizes that part. The only thing I can think of is that Microsoft has everything built around Windows 10. Their naming conventions for their consoles have been poor since the 360.
X seems to be how they mark their high end consoles, so "Series X" indicates that it's the higher end? I don't see how "Series X" is really different than the Braun Series 9. 9 is just a number Braun picked out of the air. It's not the 9th razor they ever built.

What does it "rationalization" even matter? It's called the Xbox Series X. It could be called the Xbox 7 or the Xbox Floobflorb and it wouldn't change anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

What is your best guess as to the name of this console? Series D for digital?
I'd say D, E or S if they don't care about the SS connotations.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is so stupid.

How many times do you need to use the letter X in your name? Do you not realize its confusing for those not following things closely like those on forums?

Won't parents and the like be confused by the Xbox One X and Xbox Series X? Not to mention the Xbox One S, etc.

At least with numbers or completely new names a la Sony PS5 and Nintendo Switch people can tell what is what.

Series X still confuses even me - i don't understand if that's just the series name, and that it's going to be called the Xbox X, and subsequent versions will be Xbox X Pro or whatever.

It just doesn't seem well thought out to me. Also there's just the cringe that comes with trying to be this 'hardcore' with overusing the 'X' in every iteration of every name.

/end rant
I'm guessing the last gen models will get new model names if MS keeps selling them. Series E or something. In a few years, they could launch the Xbox Series X (2023) or something. I think the names are meant to be more interchangeable if MS is serious about pursuing forward/backward compatibility. Want to play an Xbox game? Buy an Xbox. Pick a series that works with your budget.
And the X thing is probably here to stay since they're using it to describe the new high end Surface Pro X too

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Yea I basically said this the day after the reveal since people were getting confused:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So out of 4 generations, 2 have been known as "Xbox" and 2 have been known as "Xbox 1". And the 2 known as "Xbox" are not the same 2 known as "Xbox 1".

Not confusing at all.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
X seems to be how they mark their high end consoles, so "Series X" indicates that it's the higher end?

What does it "rationalization" even matter? It's called the Xbox Series X. It could be called the Xbox 7 or the Xbox Floobflorb and it wouldn't change anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why does Series X mean high end? Because they had a console in the previous gen named the Xbox One X that was high end? That's what I'm asking. Your point is it doesn't matter that X means high end but I'm curious about it. If their goal is to get away from generations during this generation, it's important for the name to clearly mean something for a consumer. No one wants a repeat of the Wii U.

I love when people pretend a not obvious thing was obvious.

This is disingenuous. Don't approach everyone you disagree with as if they're arguing in bad faith.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Now I am afraid of saying I am confused, because not it seems that if it wasn't obvious to me, I'm into fanboy shit.

But I don't care, so, explain it to me: The name of the console is "Xbox" or "Series X"?

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Are the game boxes just going to say "Xbox" then? That will definitely end well.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
lmao at people in this thread asking what the next generation will be called when the era of "hardware generations" is clearly coming to an end and there's a solid chance there won't be a next one

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If all games are going to be backwards compatible, then it makes sense to do this. Does this game work on the Xbox? Yes it does!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Now I am afraid of saying I am confused, because not it seems that if it wasn't obvious to me, I'm into fanboy shit.

But I don't care, so, explain it to me: The name of the console is "Xbox" or "Series X"?

Think of it like a make and model of a car. Ford Explorer: Ford is the make, Explorer is the model. Xbox Series X: Xbox is the make, Series X is the model.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But what do they called the next one? Xbox - Series X2?
No. Most likely just a new version of the same series. Similar to how Apple releases a new version of the Mac book, Mac book air and Mac book Pro lines. They don't need to attach numbers to them and ppl seem to figure that out. No matter the year, the series x will be the high version of the Xbox going forward

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is so stupid.

How many times do you need to use the letter X in your name? Do you not realize its confusing for those not following things closely like those on forums?

Won't parents and the like be confused by the Xbox One X and Xbox Series X? Not to mention the Xbox One S, etc.

At least with numbers or completely new names a la Sony PS5 and Nintendo Switch people can tell what is what.

Series X still confuses even me - i don't understand if that's just the series name, and that it's going to be called the Xbox X, and subsequent versions will be Xbox X Pro or whatever.

It just doesn't seem well thought out to me. Also there's just the cringe that comes with trying to be this 'hardcore' with overusing the 'X' in every iteration of every name.

/end rant

You are making it so complicated.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I'm honestly baffled by people saying it was obvious. It was not obvious to me/has nothing to do with "fanboy shit."

If the presenter on stage says "here's the XBox Series X," and the screen says "XBox Series X," my thought is, "the new XBox is called the XBox Series X."
The Xbox they presented on stage is called the "Xbox Series X"

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Names really need to be simple and catchy. Not massively confusing. They did not do a good job unveiling their next gen plans.

If they had another device to show in the "XBox" branding then that would have made it a lot clearer, even though it's still pretty poor naming.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I love it, but this confused branding from the start is a bad sign.

Hopefully they learned the right lessons from the Wii U

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

If you've ever bought a phone it's basically like that.

"Hi I want an IPhone"

Okay we have the IPhone 11 or the IPhone 11 Max, which one do you want