• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Upon closer inspection, it appears that "Xbox" is the make and "Series X" is the model — as if the name going forward for Xbox consoles is simply "Xbox."

"The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft representative told Business Insider, "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X."

"Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future," the Microsoft rep told us.

At the same time, of course, the statement indicates that Microsoft is already working on other versions of the next-generation Xbox — something that lines up with repeated rumors of a disc-less, streaming-focused Xbox. Microsoft isn't saying just yet, though. "We're excited to offer fans a glimpse at the next generation of gaming with Xbox Series X," the rep said, "But beyond that, we have nothing further to share."

Source

Last edited:

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean for future generations will we see, "Xbox Series X2" instead of yet another reinvention of the name?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
" something that lines up with repeated rumors of a disc-less, streaming-focused Xbox. "

Ehh not really.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know this was unclear. As soon as I saw "Series X" I wondered what the Series designation for Lockheart or a mid gen refresh would be.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
This wasn't conveyed well for the debut, but I trust that it'll get sorted out as marketing ramps up and Lockhart gets its own series name.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Was fairly obvious with the addition of "series x".

I assumed it was called XBox Series X since that's what they called it.

dims

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
makes sense. With the way the console is built you can probably add a additional RAM/HDD/GPU and then call it "Xbox Series X022" and charge more.

so a computer.

it's a computer.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Was fairly obvious with the addition of "series x".
No it wasn't. To me that reads like multiple units would come under a series called Series X.

What you just said is "The next Playstation, Playstation 5, is called Playstation. Thats why theres a 5 there." lol people aren't complaining about calling it Xbox

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is so stupid.

How many times do you need to use the letter X in your name? Do you not realize its confusing for those not following things closely like those on forums?

Is it just Xbox now, and then they'll have new subnames?

Is it Xbox Series X, with subnames following that?

Won't parents and the like be confused by the Xbox One X and Xbox Series X? Not to mention the Xbox One S, etc.

At least with numbers or completely new names a la Sony PS5 and Nintendo Switch people can tell what is what.

Series X still confuses even me - i don't understand if that's just the series name, and that it's going to be called the Xbox X, and subsequent versions will be Xbox X Pro or whatever.

It just doesn't seem well thought out to me. Also there's just the cringe that comes with trying to be this 'hardcore' with overusing the 'X' in every iteration of every name.

/end rant

Oct 27, 2017
Ngl the fact that the name had to be clarified speaks volumes to how it isnt a really good name at all
This is so stupid.

How many times do you need to use the letter X in your name? Do you not realize its confusing for those not following things closely like those on forums?

Is it just Xbox now, and then they'll have new subnames?

Is it Xbox Series X, with subnames following that?

Won't parents and the like be confused by the Xbox One X and Xbox Series X? Not to mention the Xbox One S, etc.

At least with numbers or completely new names a la Sony PS5 and Nintendo Switch people can tell what is what.

Series X still confuses even me - i don't understand if that's just the series name, and that it's going to be called the Xbox X, and subsequent versions will be Xbox X Pro or whatever.

It just doesn't seem well thought out to me.

/end rant
Exactly. Its too uncessarily complicated and muddled. If people on forums have issues then what of the mainstream public?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Lockheart will probably be Series C (Compact/Cloud) and a smaller, discless unit.

Nah.

Lockhart will be Xbox Series S

If Microsoft releases a micro-console or device that needs xCloud to work, that would probably be called Xbox Series C.

The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform's reach.

www.thurrott.com/games/163896/details-microsofts-xbox-scarlett-game-streaming-service

XBOX X (Anaconda) high-end
XBOX S (Lockhart) - less expensive, less powerful, digital only, but still local hardware)
Xbox Cloud - very inexpensive, must have xCloud, streaming only.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I totally get that Microsoft wants their brand to just be Xbox. But all of their naming conventions have been whack. Even when the 360 came out I thought it was silly to call it that.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Who comes up with this shit? I don't understand how they can spend so much money and still fuck it up

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Xbox is now a universal platform for Microsoft. It's on PC, it's on console, its in the cloud. Xbox is the platform, and Series X is just a console part of it.