• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've barely heard about it personally, or maybe I haven't cared enough to pay attention.

The straight up down hill jam that was 999 to vlr to ztd going from amazing to mediocre to trash probably doesn't help.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I would very much agree with not only VLR's atmosphere but also its puzzles being worse, would say it had the worst ones in the trilogy thanks to how needlessly obtuse the majority of them were. Some complain about 999's puzzles being too easy, yet I very much consider VLR to have overcorrected. By comparison, ZTD found a good balance with its puzzles.

Oh yeah, I actually think ZTD had the best puzzles by far.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
The marketing for this game has been interesting, those weird idol videos that have been coming out over the last few months have had me a bit curious. My main hope is that this game is written as a stand-alone title like 999 was.

VLR & ZTD while still pretty decent, were hampered by some poor pacing and some straight-up terribly written characters. (VLR Clover and Dio I'm looking at you)

I love Uchikoshi's work, so I'm still cautiously optimistic about AI.

I'm pretty excited about this. Seems like Uchi is pretty excited for it as well.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i really liked vlr and haven't played ztd
I'll still wait for some reviews on this but im looking forward to it

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, ZTD kinda tanked hype for future Uchi projects. Surprised by the dislike of VLR in here though? Is it just because ZTD retroactively makes it worse? Ignoring ZTD I feel like it's at least as good as 999 personally.

If this game is received well and continues to be well regarded over time, since I remember ZTD initially having a very positive reception, then I'll probably check it out down the road, but I'm definitely not there day one.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know basically nothing about it, but I still want to get it because I did enjoy ZTD despite its flaws. What's up with the ARG stuff. Is it worth checking out?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
his game is received well and continues to be well regarded over time, since I remember ZTD initially having a very positive reception, then I'll probably check it out down the road, but I'm definitely not there day one.

ZTD still continues to have a positive reception , e.g. on steams reviews where it has consistently been positive forever. It's the same small handful of people who've been making angry noise for years, while everyone else just moved from wasting time arguing with them a long time ago.

AI the somnium files isn't a direct sequel in an established franchise, which makes it harder to have established hype. It's the same for all the franchises coming out of the company, for instance zanki zero hardly set the hype meters alight either, and that had nothing to do with the zero escape team.

I know basically nothing about it, but I still want to get it because I did enjoy ZTD despite its flaws. What's up with the ARG stuff. Is it worth checking out?

The ARG finished a while ago, but there's definitely some good stuff to see on the leminscate YouTube channel, start from the beginning.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, ZTD kinda tanked hype for future Uchi projects. Surprised by the dislike of VLR in here though? Is it just because ZTD retroactively makes it worse? Ignoring ZTD I feel like it's at least as good as 999 personally.

If this game is received well and continues to be well regarded over time, since I remember ZTD initially having a very positive reception, then I'll probably check it out down the road, but I'm definitely not there day one.
I disliked VLR long before ZTD, though it was indeed the case that ZTD made both of the previous games worse retroactively.
ZTD still continues to have a positive reception , e.g. on steams reviews where it has consistently been positive forever. It's the same small handful of people who've been making angry noise for years, while everyone else just moved from wasting time arguing with them a long time ago.
Being critical of something other people happen to like doesn't automatically amount to it coming from a place of frothing, mindless rage.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has more to do with being a new IP, rather than ZTD turning people. Unless you're a big name in the game industry, whoever is making the new IP doesn't hold that much weight. If it was called Zero Escape 4 it would without a doubt have more buzz around it.

Success

Oct 27, 2017
This has to have the worst marketing ever.
I loved the previous games but I never heard of this one before.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's niche but September is a pretty bad month to release your game, don't see how it doesn't get bulldozed over by all the other games coming out

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Lack of marketing and death spot in the release window.

Ill pick it up when it hits about 20 quid in three or 4 months time.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm very interested in it, though I'll need to see reviews and impressions before I can commit to buying.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In another timeline this game wouldn't be coming out against a ton of massive juggernauts.

I don't want to get into Zero Escape rankings, but I hope he doesn't fall back on the tricks in his older games too much. Replaying Virtue's Last Reward after playing Ever 17 is hilarious.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO, the only reason ZTD was a disappointment was becvause it was a follow up that ruined pre established characters and plot points, but in a vacuum, ZTD was still an extremely fun and exciting ride.

After Virtue's Last Reward aka the best anime game ever, AI is a day one goddamn purchase

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to discover there's apparently a lot of people who liked 999 and disliked VLR. ZTD I can understand (although I loved it myself), but VLR?

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Do you know if the ARG stuff is intended to add to the main game's story in any way? Or is it just thematically similar with no direct connections?
It is Uchikoshi we're dealing with here, so maybe... It might have elements in it that will carry over to the main story, but if it's anything like the last OVA, it's a means of introducing the world/characters and some of the concepts the game'll be dealing with. I've yet to watch any of them, so I'm not positive.

EDIT: Apparently, both the video series and the Twitter account have info in them related to the story. Interesting...

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting until I hear very detailed impressions, ZTD was such a load of garbage that I'm not blind buying an Uchikoshi game again.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to discover there's apparently a lot of people who liked 999 and disliked VLR. ZTD I can understand (although I loved it myself), but VLR?

VLR had its own fair share of mixed reception from 999 fans iirc. Some complaints were kinda dumb but VLR certainly had some issues they never came around to enjoy. But I think VLR is pretty well accepted overall by most people who played it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ok ok, I think most of us agree that ZTD sucked and was a disappointing finale, but what is this bullshit about VLR sucking as well? I understand not enjoying it as much as 999, but VLR was hardly disappointing.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I couldn't be more excited! I've been spreading the good word around here for months. I don't think people yet understand just how amazing this is gonna be.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I loved 999 and VLR and didn't even know it was the same guy doing AI.

I'll check it out for sure if reception is positive. ZTD was straight up bad imo, like not just mediocre.

Doesn't help though that the game doesn't appear to be available from any Australian outlets, dunno if it's digital only here or what.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say Marketing issue, as a huge fan of Zero Escape and someone who doesnt think ZTD was *that* bad, I dont know anything about the game other than who is making it

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I can't wait for it, but the mess of a name hurts it a lot. And I can't understand the people who hated ZTD. Obviously it has some problems, but it was a blast to play through.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I think it's important to note that Uchikoshi primarily wrote the Diana scenario for ZTD, with other writers taking care of the other 2/3rds of the game.

Yes, he is the head writer and still likely had to approve of everything, but I did think his specific work was head-and-shoulders above what the rest of the game offered. I still have faith in him writing a good story because of that.
Huh, never knew that.

Do we know if this game has multiple writers too or is it all Uchikoshi?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know he was making a new game... I also still haven't played ZTD yet due to all the bad press it got.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I marvel at this myself. (Even more wild is the fact that Uchikoshi teamed up with fucking Kodaka (of Danganronpa fame) to write a death game and nobody even cares.)

For me, my lack of interest is probably a combination of ZTD being shit in my esteem and the fact that whatever AI is about just doesn't seem as intriguing from the outset.

It not being a death game means it's not as interesting to me either.

That said it has one of the most intricate marketing campaigns of all fucking time

I love VLR more than 999
Objectively VLR has more flaws but this still rings true. Its highs were just... Man.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok ok, I think most of us agree that ZTD sucked and was a disappointing finale, but what is this bullshit about VLR sucking as well? I understand not enjoying it as much as 999, but VLR was hardly disappointing.
Oh VLR was contentious waaay before ZTD was even teased (4infinity anyone?).

There's many reasons worth discussing for that.

With ZTD though the idea that it was way below the first two became the new point of comparison in the franchise, especially because the folks who didn't like VLR probably didn't stick around for very long to play ZTD so most of who remain liked VLR, too.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'm quietly excited for it. Can't pick it up at launch, but it's very much on my radar... I loved 999 and VLR despite their problems, and ZTD was decent enough.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
we've had so many "september is packed" threads and they always forget this game

i havent played ztd but its been a real long time since beating vlr. will i be lost?

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely hype... I think the two month delay did harm it, though. It would have got more traction on the original release date.
There's been an elaborate marketing campaign / ARG running since January... This has potential to be my goty.

Last edited:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I'm excited, most if not all of my issues with ZTD have to do with it being a sequel. Since this doesn't have any baggage with it I don't have to worry about those things.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably because they called it AI: The Somnium Files and not zero escape 4
no one who doesn't play these games follows along with the titles