• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
AI: The Somnium Files is coming out on Sep 17th in the west, and it seems no one is talking about the game.

What gives? Did ZTD really damage his reputation to the point where most of the fans don't get excited anymore? or is just a marketing issue (not like the previous games had that much of a marketing either)? it feels weird that this was just 4 years ago with a ton of hype on the old forum:

And now... nothing.

Astarte

Oct 25, 2017
VLR and ZTD came out, cementing his status as a hack that can write great unintentional comedy.

I'll still play it though.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
ZTD definitely killed some interest or made it a "wait and see" purchase but the lack of marketing is probably the main issue. It'd be pretty easy for it to fly under people's radar.

Personally I'm really looking forward to it as everything they've shown or talked about have been interesting.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What gives? Did ZTD really damage his reputation to the point where most of the fans don't get excited anymore? or is just a marketing issue (not like the previous games had that much of a marketing either)? it feels weird that this was just 4 years ago with a ton of hype on the old forum:

Little of column A, little of column B. I'll wait for opinions on it and maybe pick it up, but yeah ZTD made me lose a good deal of interest in his projects.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't hate ZTD as much as some folks (but I do agree the ending was really shoddy for a series wrap up).

I'm really excited for this one. I love those Zero Escape games so damn much. Don't know if they'll ever match the brilliance of the first game's ending.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The marketing for this game has been poor and some of the people who do know about it lost interesting in Uchikoshi after ZTD. The Zero Escape series also wasn't really all that big in the first place for there to be a crazy amount of hype.

They used a virtual idol to market this game in the west, which makes no sense.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The gameplay parts haven't looked that great to me and ZTD was what it was, so I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. But I fucking looove Ever17, Remember11, 999 and VLR, so I can only hope this is a return to form for Uchikoshi.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Very much looking forward to it, I really liked Punchline too and even ZTD with all its issues.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
The zero escape games were for a relatively small audience too and didn't get that much coverage bar bluebird so seems about right to me?

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
Extremely excited for it myself, but I don't particularly want to discuss it on a forum where people have decided ZTD is bad (for reasons I've never really understood - it's one of my favourite games of all time)

EDIT: and VLR as well apparently?????

EDIT EDIT: also re: marketing there was a video a week for months, they've been at multiple events, and there's a livestream today, idk what more y'all want, especially from a Japanese publisher.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
AI: The Somnium Files is coming out on Sep 17th in the west, and it seems no one is talking about the game.

What gives? Did ZTD really damage his reputation to the point where most of the fans don't get excited anymore?
Yes.

Personally, my patience was already low after VLR, ZTD only solidified my belief that Zero Escape should've begun and ended with 999. Uchikoshi had no plans for a story spanning a trilogy, and it showed.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
VLR and ZTD killed all hype I may have had left for the guy. He struck gold with Ever17 and 999, but I guess that's in the past.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
The marketing has been pretty sparse, I forget the game exists sometimes.
I bought ZTD blind because I had faith in it after the previous 2 Zero Escape games being great, that was a mistake so I'm waiting for impressions on this one.

Also September is just crowded as hell.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
His ZTD made me never want to touch visual novels, especially japanese ones, ever again.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably get it at some point but not Day one like I did for ZTD.

That might be my worst ever let down.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Still have to play ZTD. Bought on last steam sale but no time for it, yet.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Zero Time Dilemma disappointed me a lot, but I'm still a fan of the series overall. Didn't even know this was coming. Wow.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
I've got it preordered, but I've purposely kept myself in the dark on any details about it.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
I have Somnium Files preordered and I'm definitely looking forward to it, but I'm not insanely "hyped" for it for a few reasons.

I loved the Zero Escape series, but this is something different and I haven't been quite able to wrap my head around it yet.

To complicate things, there is A LOT of promotion, but I'm torn over whether I should dive in or whether I should stay away to keep everything related to the game fresh for when I play it. If anyone has opinions about this I would love to hear them.

And finally, there are just a lot of other good games stealing my attention right now. I'm playing Fire Emblem (with a little Smash on the side) and I can't wait to play Dragon Quest when that comes out.

Rodento

Dec 28, 2017
It's a niche title with modest marketing, is normal.

I'm in day one, never got the incredible negativity towards ZTD around here even with its flaws, but I don't think people that like his games and this type of titles is gonna pass because of it.

Last edited:

Nanika

Dec 4, 2017
I wasn't even aware of it. But like some other here this time I'll wait for review, I'm already quite busy anyway.

ZTD certainly was a disappointment after VLR, with the main twist being a massive finger and the lack of a satisfying conclusion. Yet it also had a few very powerful scenes.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
His ZTD made me never want to touch visual novels, especially japanese ones, ever again.
Root Double wound up being more along the lines of what I had been looking for after being disappointed with VLR and ZTD, even coming from the same director as Ever17. The Enneagram system for getting additional paths/endings could be annoying without a guide, though.

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna guess lack of marketing. I loved 999 and VLR yet I had no idea this was coming out so soon.

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped for this game even though I never finished zero escape series. Mystery games are the best.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean Zero Escape wasn't exactly a big series, it just went from a small but vocal fanbase to just a small fanbase.

How was AI received in Japan / by importers? e: Oh it's not out yet! Yeah we'll see how reviews fare.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
VLR is awful too now? I remembered the game being liked recently, what happened?

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
It's my Switch pick of September! And I didn't watched any trailer and only a handful of screen shots

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I can't wait to play this. I'm still waiting for the reviews though.
This kind of game rarely has a big marketing. They made a lot of youtube videos, so I guess they are targeting the fans

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
As someone that adored ZTD, bring it on! Even if these games keep getting worse, they started at such a high bar that it'll be 10 games before I'm disappointed.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know it was his new game.

Awesome. Will buy for sure after i finish ZTD.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I already have it preordered, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I find no joy in discussing games like Uchikoshi's or Danganronpa on the internet. The hot takes are insurmountable.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's is a niche title with modest marketing, is normal.

I'm in day one, never got the incredible negativity towards ZTD around here even with its flaws, but I don't think people that like his games and this type of titles is gonna pass because of it.
I didn't dislike ZTD. It was acceptable to me. I think hype killed it for others.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I already have it preordered, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I find no joy in discussing games like Uchikoshi's or Danganronpa on the internet. The hot takes are insurmountable.
Yeah, I pre-ordered it without knowing anything. I can see me running the game the first time at the release, and being surprised that the game is a dancing game. But what dancing game could be!

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know people didn't like ZTD?
I played it and enjoyed it as much as the others...what do people dislike about it?

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
- Non-existent marketing
- Too many games coming out in September
- For me, personally, Zero Escape is far from my favorite in the genre

I'll probably give it a go at some point if word-of-mouth is good.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a visual novel with no marketing. Even the Zero Escape games, his most popular games in the West, weren't some amazing successes. If I recall the series was pretty much done after VLR due to lack of sales in Japan.

I wasn't the biggest fan of ZTD either but he gets a lot of faith from me for Ever 17, 999 and VLR being excellent. Looking forward to the game.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Lack of marketing, I didn't even know there was a new game from them coming and I have all of the Zero Escape games.