• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
"According to Making Star Wars, a blog with a fairly decent track record when it comes Star Wars leaks, the next era of Star Wars will take place 400 years before the Skywalker saga in a time it dubbed The High Republic.

Although specific details are obviously still unknown, the report says the new era's overall story will be made up of interconnected pieces in different forms of media, including the next set of films. Disney is referring to it as Project Luminous.

Where this gets interesting is a different report from Ziro.hu, with information Making Star Wars says lines up with what it had independently heard. According to Ziro.hu, the first item on the list of Project Luminous cross-media releases is a game."

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So no game this year?

No EA shooter in 2020 then? Hmm. Interesting. Maybe they will do the whole rumored Anthem Next as a new game.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
They're doing the Old Republic in the Disney way after ditching the odl Extended Universe because they thought it was complicated...

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Has anyone considered the possibility that, after all the yelling about Disney playing it safe with its Star Wars movies, they've specifically landed on "High Republic" to move away from the Sith/Jedi conflict? After all, 400 years before the Skywalker Saga is too soon to have the Sith playing any major role.

Sounds like an attempt to build an entirely new conflict from scratch, rather than just adapting Knights of the Old Republic. And that's potentially interesting, if you ask me.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're doing the Old Republic in the Disney way after ditching the odl Extended Universe because they thought it was complicated...
They didn't ditch KOTOR because it was too complicated. They ditched all of the EU, no exceptions. Only thing that remained canon going into 2014 was the projects that George Lucas was directly involved in.

As a note this decision was made *before* the Disney sale when Lucas himself decided to kick start production on a sequel trilogy so it had nothing to do with Disney or Disney finding KOTOR complicated.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone considered the possibility that, after all the yelling about Disney playing it safe with its Star Wars movies, they've specifically landed on "High Republic" to move away from the Sith/Jedi conflict? After all, 400 years before the Skywalker Saga is too soon to have the Sith playing any major role.

Sounds like an attempt to build an entirely new conflict from scratch, rather than just adapting Knights of the Old Republic. And that's potentially interesting, if you ask me.
Yeah, I think it is quite intentional they are picking an era that has never been touched on before be it in games, comics, movies, tv, books etc.

It is a completely blank slate era.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly - I think a lot of people are giving Disney too much credit for following established canon. Do you really think because Phantom Menace states the sith haven't been around for 1000 years, Disney won't steamroll that and do it anyway?

Maybe I'm being a pessimist, but I really don't think they're going to do a whole set of media/content without Jedi and Sith. I think they're doing this to move away from the Skywalker story, but they're definitely not moving away from that side of things entirely. I give it 5 years before we see Yoda and Darth Bane fighting on-screen (which obviously makes zero sense, but - Disney: "fuck it").

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly - I think a lot of people are giving Disney too much credit for following established canon. Do you really think because Phantom Menace states the sith haven't been around for 1000 years, Disney won't steamroll that and do it anyway?

Maybe I'm being a pessimist, but I really don't think they're going to do a whole set of media/content without Jedi and Sith. I think they're doing this to move away from the Skywalker story, but they're definitely not moving away from that side of things entirely. I give it 5 years before we see Yoda and Darth Bane fighting on-screen (which obviously makes zero sense, but - Disney: "fuck it").
Who said anything about getting away from the Jedi?

Also I'd like to point out "no Sith" still gives a lot of wiggle room.

These guys are technically not Sith.
The-Inquisitor_38078668.jpeg

copy_of_second_sister_-_approved_bd_villainsscreenshots_b722756c.jpeg

5091428-2782054282-42805.jpg

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda love the idea of this concept of totally shifting the franchise to a place where they can grow things organically, rather than trying to find tenuous links to the current movies in kinda clumsy ways. I'd have preferred a sequel series to a prequel series, though.

I assume it has to be the EA Motive game if it's a console title?

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Why? There has been no media in that time period before ever. That is exactly what people have been asking for. Something brand new.
I'm just reacting to the name. That's all. And we don't know how brand new it'll be, given how Star Wars can't seem to get away from overly referencing itself. Here's hoping.

Nov 28, 2017

I kinda love the idea of this concept of totally shifting the franchise to a place where they can grow things organically, rather than trying to find tenuous links to the current movies in kinda clumsy ways. I'd have preferred a sequel series to a prequel series, though.

I assume it has to be the EA Motive game if it's a console title?

Aren't they salvaging Visceral's work (open world bounty hunter), and turning it into GaaS?

They also have a new IP greenlit, but that's probably PS5/XSX/PC.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The "cross-media" thing reminds me of how they did Shadows of the Empire, back in the day.

Maybe this thing actually being headed by a competent group of writers, and free from the confines of the movie eras, will be just the thing SW needs to turn the page.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Why not 400 years AFTER the Skywalker Saga?
I always think that works set in the past end up with an obligation regarding lore and "connections", like, i am now definitely expecting some links between this High Republic and the Skywalker Saga.

Going forward on the other hand, would have given them even more creative freedom and less shackles.

Nobody wants to do a "unique" game anymore, not even after JFO success.

Scifi genre is kinda in a void after Mass Effect hiatus and nobody seems to take advantage of it, an open world bounty hunter could be like Prey 2 or something but i guess it will never see the light of the day.

Well Starfield could fill that void, quality of recent Bethesda RPGs notwithstanding.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I always think that works set in the past end up with an obligation regarding lore and "connections", like, i am now definitely expecting some links between this High Republic and the Skywalker Saga.

Going forward on the other hand, would have given them even more creative freedom and less shackles.

i don't believe the strong hand of the mouse has this long plan and they are very afraid to what to do with Star Wars.

Well Starfield could fill that void, quality of recent Bethesda RPGs notwithstanding.

i hope so :) and the inevitable new Mass Effect. this would be the very best timing to ND do a "savage starlight"

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, setting the next era in a galaxy centuries after the fall of the Jedi Order and the destruction of the Sith would've been much more open to new directions.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California

Episode IX really ruined things by introducing
planet-killer weapons that can be used by every ship in a massive fleet, as opposed to only on enormous spacecraft/worlds that have equally huge power requirements.

Sure, they could try and find a way to explain why those don't exist any more or find a way to counter them, but it was such a ridiculous bit of power creep that feels like it can't be ignored.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Metroid Prime 4
Believe
That was the plan for MP3 and Nintendo shot it down.
Another fascinating tidbit was that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was supposed to be oriented around Samus actually being a bounty hunter, with the player picking up jobs and flying all over the galaxy. Nintendo ended up shooting down the idea because they had a different definition of what a bounty hunter does. Here's what he said:
"I don't recall any code being written to support the concept, but I remember it being documented and thought through extensively. The inventory system as it was would not have needed significant changes to support the design, and while my recollection is hazy, I believe that the whole misunderstanding of the "bounty" in "bounty hunter" was discovered and talked through pretty quickly after we presented the game concept to Japan. I don't know how much of the story was fleshed out at this point, Dark Samus or otherwise. I just remember that the original core concept revolved around Samus and her ship doing jobs around the galaxy to both get stronger."

Here's hoping they've wisened up since then.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I thought Project Luminous was a literature project? Books and comic books, there were a lot of writers involved.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
planet-killer weapons that can be used by every ship in a massive fleet, as opposed to only on enormous spacecraft/worlds that have equally huge power requirements.

Sure, they could try and find a way to explain why those don't exist any more or find a way to counter them, but it was such a ridiculous bit of power creep that feels like it can't be ignored.
That's actually really freaking easy to make reasons it can't be replicated.

It's ancient Sith technology that can't be replicated.

Something about it requires materials from Exegol.

The knowledge to make them that compact was lost when the Sith Cult blew up.

It's not practical for your average bad guys to construct a fleet big enough to justify having the planet killers and Star Destroyers are a lot easier to beat then a fully equipped battle station without support.(Thank you Metal Gear Solid 2.)

That's just off the top of my head, give me time and I'm sure I could make more.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
High Republic eh? Well then why doesn't it take place 420 years before the Skywalker Saga? I'll see myself out

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Apparntly the game is with different types of Jedi (classes, skilltrees) that explore the Outer Rims and fight Sith gods/legends. I bet this will be another GaaS-style game that can be played single-player but also MMORPG light with loot, level ups and all the fancy shit.

At least that's my interpretation of this news (in German).

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I've seen this going around a lot, and I don't get this argument at all.
Just have it so that the knowledge to build them died with Sheev, easy peasy.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've seen this going around a lot, and I don't get this argument at all.
Just have it so that the knowledge to build them died with Sheev, easy peasy.
It would take thousands of engineers working from thousands of blueprint copies. I don't imagine Sheev was the type of person to think up and engineer them. Rogue One actually brings that up, though... that the masterminds behind the Death Star technology were a small group of engineers and scientists, and they had to seek out and kidnap one of the few who knew how to build them properly.
90dd42c18c9ecb931c86f41bfa14a54d913b8ee8_00.gif

... The means of making them honestly should have died with THEM.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Because they want lightsabers all over the place like in AotC or ones that make you fly like in Rebels. There's probably going to be one you can surf on in the past.