• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Isn't the solution usually to make the character bald when the helmet is on?

Usually, yes, but it limits the styles of helmets you can make and leads to some real oddness. It also limits hats. Any sort of volume on hair that transitions into length needs separate assets with proper culling so the hat can sit on top but the locks still drape appropriately below.

But the helmets are just half the equation. Armor is the real sticking point, as even with real nice physics, stuff can get really bad with clipping, gimble-locking, extreme jittering, etc. It also creates an issue where characters with long hair are heavier on scene calculations that ones that have short hair. Or long hair + these armors vs. long hair with these other armors drop your frames by 5%.
You get other wacky things like scene transitions causing hair to do that "flying freakout" every time the camera cuts back and forth.

In the end, it just makes sense to not have long hair instead of dedicating a couple of engineers and artists to making it work.

Oct 25, 2017
Has Inquisition aged well? Was thinking of getting the deluxe edition on PS4 but I'm not very familiar with the series

I got it on sale last week. Not sure how far in I am, but it's been fun so far. They really check you into the deep end without much background. It's the first game in the series I've played and I probably should have watched a recap or something first because I have no idea what's going on, or who anyone is or why they don't like each other.

Gameplay's fun though.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I got it on sale last week. Not sure how far in I am, but it's been fun so far. They really check you into the deep end without much background. It's the first game in the series I've played and I probably should have watched a recap or something first because I have no idea what's going on, or who anyone is or why they don't like each other.

Gameplay's fun though.

Origins does a good job. Watch something like a Mage Origin or something on Dragon Age Origins. I think with the full cutscene it will fully introduce you to them, and a lot of shit centers around them.

Origins touches on how Elves are sort of like, idk the Jews or Roma of this world. They're landless and maligned and put in ghettos, having to sort of continue their religion with traditions, with tales of a forgotten mighty past where they were close with the divine. Dragon Age 2 really drives this point home.

There is a religious order clearly modeled after Catholicism, with control over the Templars, the ones who control and contain the mages. Mages are like, well magic is powerful, so they are feared. The Templars will take their duty to extremes though in order to maintain order, regardless of any atrocities that might mean against Mages. There are light parallels between mages and the LGBT community sorta. Don't fit the established order. Have it naturally regardless of background. Undergo inhuman operations if they are deemed too disruptive. But it's a limited parallel, not exactly intended to be literal. So lots of things don't parallel. But it has some of those notes.

Last edited:

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao look at the size of this dude

rkT2DA8.png

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna reserve some time to play Inquisition again ;__;

God, I love this theme so much. Inquisition's OST slaps hard.

Google Doc redditor made with all the concept art. Solas' wolf looks so fluffy! Is that the one he used for his armor in Trespasser?
I'm super curious about this one in particular:

N2BpRIC.jpg

I love how they're apparently using these metal/stone shard things as weapons and it looks really cool. Possibly a new faction we haven't heard about yet. I'd say they're enemies, but then one of them seems to be defending themself from the dark corrupted red lyrium stuff, so maybe not enemies.

And, of course, this one...

gwXbU70.jpg

Because it literally features fucking Isabela front and center. I'd love to see her back as a companion. Specially considering the possible outcome of her story in Dragon Age 2 (specifically the one were you give her to the Arishok).

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, I love this theme so much. Inquisition's OST slaps hard.

I'm super curious about this one in particular:

N2BpRIC.jpg

I love how they're apparently using these metal/stone shard things as weapons and it looks really cool. Possibly a new faction we haven't heard about yet. I'd say they're enemies, but then one of them seems to be defending themself from the dark corrupted red lyrium stuff, so maybe not enemies.

And, of course, this one...

gwXbU70.jpg

Because it literally features fucking Isabela front and center. I'd love to see her back as a companion. Specially considering the possible outcome of her story in Dragon Age 2 (specifically the one were you give her to the Arishok).
The flaming head dude from the line up picture is right there at the top left of the underwater picture

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love it when they show videos of devs in the forest and at their desks with computers and concept art

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Is that really Isabella??
I'm about 99.9% sure. It's almost exactly the same clothes she has in one of her Inquisition multiplayer variations:

iSvRyLU.png

Also featuring her one pauldron which is kind of her signature.

How can anyone do that, she was the best companion in DA2.
Indeed she was. But given I always replay Dragon Age trying different choices, I eventually had to do that. It broke my heart though.

The flaming head dude from the line up picture is right there at the top left of the underwater picture
Still trying to figure out what he's supposed to be lol

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that really Isabella??

How can anyone do that, she was the best companion in DA2.
Because her dumb ass stole a book which led to people's deaths and she doesnt want to submit to the justice of said people she stole from. Then again thats how I read that situation..... I hated most of DA2's cast outside the initial start. (they deserved bad fates for being bad/stupid people)

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing this is frostbite again? I hope they have worked out all the kinks this time

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I really wish we didn't have to wait a minimum of 2 years for this. The environment snippets and concept art looked good.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
I'm playing Inquisition for the first time and it's awesome. It has some jank and the story presentation isn't the best but it's the most engrossed I've been in a game since like The Witcher 3.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what's wrong with Kaidan? I only really had an issue with the obvious copy/paste between him and Ashley since it made no sense for his character.
I think the reason people didnt care for him is probably due to many people just thinking kaiden = Carth from Kotor mainly due to same Voice actor.
Degradation_704323_4894920.jpg

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 99.9% sure. It's almost exactly the same clothes she has in one of her Inquisition multiplayer variations:

iSvRyLU.png

Also featuring her one pauldron which is kind of her signature.

Indeed she was. But given I always replay Dragon Age trying different choices, I eventually had to do that. It broke my heart though.

Oh shit im hyped then, Isabella my girl.

Because her dumb ass stole a book which led to people's deaths and she doesnt want to submit to the justice of said people she stole from. Then again thats how I read that situation..... I hated most of DA2's cast outside the initial start. (they deserved bad fates for being bad/stupid people)

Compared to what other people and companions did in DA2 she stealing the book was mild lol

Saray

Nov 26, 2018

The qunari are a bunch of fanatical assholes, they fuck a city because of a book. Isabella isn't wrong in not wanting the qunari Justice.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
This whole trailer was almost a beat for beat recreation of how they revealed Anthem, how can anyone be optimistic about this?

Mar 9, 2018

Their idea of justice is dumb, actually. And no way in "hell", which is Ferelden's official nickname, would I ever turn in my good-hearted cool friend to them.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I look at this image, the radder it gets.

99LJEo6.jpg

The little walking candle scroll holders, the snake doors, the Mage with his weird walking chair hand thing.

Unmoses

Mar 22, 2018
I just replayed 1 to 3 this year. Can't wait! That was a fun video, happy to see they are excited, but was that for the fans or for ea mgmt lol.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
if you wanna blame anyone for the qunari invasion blame aveline for marching her dumb ass up to demand the arishok hand over some dudes who had to take justice into their own hands bc aveline is a racist cop who won't punish her fellow cops even if they're rapists

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit i'm now reading the wiki again and im seeing myself getting hyped... this is way too early for that.

What happen to that DA community thread that there was talks about creating it, did that happened?

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit im hyped then, Isabella my girl.

Compared to what other people and companions did in DA2 she stealing the book was mild lol
If there was an option for killing the elf girl who wanted to use blood magic... and then did despite being told "Its a bad idea/No" (I forget her name) i'd have done that as a mage. I need to replay the game again to find out if i did have a problem with Balthier the slave elf(my first run of the game I actually never found him lol). Anders gets ander'd and I dont think i had any issues with the rest of the cast OR carver. Then again i'm a person who told allistair to marry the queen, kept logain alive and did some other questionable choices in DAO.
And yes the qunari are fanatical asshats... but her reluctance to give the book back really made the choice easy to give her up.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
YU5sFBk.jpg

is this Scout Harding? could we actually be getting full-companion Scout Harding?

please BioWare, i beg you.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
this is how I felt watching yet another bioware powerpoint slide of concept art intercut with studio footage:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
How many trailers like this has BioWare put out over the years? Honestly. More than any other studio.

Either way I'm here for more dragon age.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Praying the Wardens finally get the respect the series has denied them since Origins.

agreed. this is one of my biggest problems with the series, honestly. i was all in on the Grey Wardens from jump, and i never forgave them for
rendering the decision to sacrifice yourself basically moot. it was hugely important and cool to me and the way i role-played my Warden that he turned Morrigan down, even at the cost of losing her as a party member. i had to limp through the endgame without my best magic user (was even able to kill Ser Cauthrien entirely thanks to Morrigan's insane magic skill), so he could sacrifice himself. like, sorry that didnt jive well with your long-term narrative Bioware, but maybe think ahead next time.
and then they were just kinda wasted through the rest of the games, which is fine since they werent explicitly stories that had to feature them too heavily, but i wouldve loved a little more focus on them and where theyre at as an organization at this point in Thedas history.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
If there was an option for killing the elf girl who wanted to use blood magic... and then did despite being told "Its a bad idea/No" (I forget her name) i'd have done that as a mage. I need to replay the game again to find out if i did have a problem with Balthier the slave elf(my first run of the game I actually never found him lol). Anders gets ander'd and I dont think i had any issues with the rest of the cast OR carver. Then again i'm a person who told allistair to marry the queen, kept logain alive and did some other questionable choices in DAO.
And yes the qunari are fanatical asshats... but her reluctance to give the book back really made the choice easy to give her up.

Anders enraged me to no end, so DUMB. That is the worse companion easily.

Lol i too did the whole Allister/Queen thing and Logain, good thing since that saves Hawke ass in Inquisition. So Logain redemption has great.

Could never giver her up, not only is she my Hawke romance but my favourite in DA2.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Disappointingly generic video. Nice to see some artwork, but they are just repeating bullet points and PR lines that are applicable to basically any RPG game and acting as if what they are saying is groundbreaking. "Original world, original characters! You will love them or hate them! You will feel like the hero!"

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Wow. I love Dragon Age - even Inquisition - and that trailer confirmed that:
1. DA4 is happening!
2. It's in active development
3. It will continue the DA Inquisition storyline

That's all I really need to hear. The concept art looks great, the in-game stuff looks fine for general ideas of environments, and I'm excited to hear more.

I feel like this is 2-3 years out so late 2022 - 2023 release. Which I guess means Mass Effect may be a bit farther out than that.
Anyways, great news to hear this is very much alive and happening :)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Loooove it. The concept art is super cool. Figure we've got to be going to Tevinter in this one, yeah? I'm excited.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
agreed. this is one of my biggest problems with the series, honestly. i was all in on the Grey Wardens from jump, and i never forgave them for
rendering the decision to sacrifice yourself basically moot. it was hugely important and cool to me and the way i role-played my Warden that he turned Morrigan down, even at the cost of losing her as a party member. i had to limp through the endgame without my best magic user (was even able to kill Ser Cauthrien entirely thanks to Morrigan's insane magic skill), so he could sacrifice himself. like, sorry that didnt jive well with your long-term narrative Bioware, but maybe think ahead next time.
and then they were just kinda wasted through the rest of the games, which is fine since they werent explicitly stories that had to feature them too heavily, but i wouldve loved a little more focus on them and where theyre at as an organization at this point in Thedas history.
They're fucked up, that'shere they are. Corypehus screwed em with the fake calling.