• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah no kidding. I just looked at his resume and holy shit, he wrote some of my least liked character: Kaidan, Jacob, Aveline, Carver and Sera. The first four were just boring, Sera however is obnoxious as hell and a terrible character.
Hold the phone, they had a man write the first lesbian companion in the Dragon Age series? Well, that deflates what little anticipation I had for getting around to Inquisition.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no kidding. I just looked at his resume and holy shit, he wrote some of my least liked character: Kaidan, Jacob, Aveline, Carver and Sera. The first four were just boring, Sera however is obnoxious as hell and a terrible character.

i love kaidan and carver but that's in spite of their writing. aveline is garbäge

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Given how broad and vague this was despite the game having been in development for quite some time, I'm getting the same vibes I did when they started to show Andromeda. I hope I'm wrong.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Carver was annoying because of his attitude towards Hawke, which was us, but his actions were never unjustified. I hated the dude, but loved his writing. Both Hawke twins were great characters and I missed them dearly in Inquisition (specially since they can become part of the three factions that play a big role in the story).

Raigor

May 14, 2020
EgcmIGFWoAATlg-

The companions i guess.

The dude in the right is going to be cool, hopefully someone like Fane.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Carver was annoying because of his attitude towards Hawke, which was us, but his actions were never unjustified. I hated the dude, but loved his writing. Both Hawke twins were great characters and I missed them dearly in Inquisition (specially since they can become part of the three factions that play a big role in the story).
Warden Carver is something everyone should at least look up on YouTube, he changes a lot once he finally receives the responsibility he thinks he should get.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He does get better if he becomes a warden.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dragon Age's willingness to have companions that are sort of shitty (Sera, Vivienne, literally the entire DA2 cast if we're being real) is one of my favorite things about it. Turns out most people in your weird gang and/or paramilitary band range from annoying to offensively unethical! Have fun.

Across 3.5 games, I think Cole is the only companion I don't like, and that's just because he's boring.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dragon Age's willingness to have companions that are sort of shitty (Sera, Vivienne, literally the entire DA2 cast if we're being real) is one of my favorite things about it. Turns out most people in your weird gang and/or paramilitary band range from annoying to offensively unethical! Have fun.
The more you dig into Blackwall the more horrifying it is.

Qash_effect

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I actually really liked this vid and I usually hate this sort of stuff - the art direction in the concept looks extremely promising and there was a lot of enthusiasm from the people too - I get real BioWare feels in regards to the idea of teammates and building relationships with fellow characters and making the world rich - I'm still yet to be convinced by an open world BioWare but I love there hubworlds and this in regards to the art looks promising - I was way more excited for a new mass effect than this but this is the first thing that has made me excited for this - I have a lot of faith in Casey Hudson - I feel he understands what BioWare is how to lead - hope they get the ME remake/master in time for the launch of PS5 and that dragon age and a new mass effect (with Shepard) be great and successful and I'll be happy.

Actually felt so good to see a positive video from BioWare after all the negative vibes surrounding them - almost forgot why I loved them after andromeda and anthem

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Warden Carver is something everyone should at least look up on YouTube, he changes a lot once he finally receives the responsibility he thinks he should get.
He does get better if he becomes a warden.
Yeah, Warden Carver is much better. I guess most people don't see it because it's too easy to miss. You need to take him to the Deep Roads (which is less likely if you already think he's annoying and you've got Aveline to play the role of the tank) and have Anders with you. I had Carver actually die in the Deep Roads in my first playthrough because I didn't take Anders along lol
Damn, DA2 is such a sad story through and through.

Across 3.5 games, I think Cole is the only companion I don't like, and that's just because he's boring.
Yeah, I love having characters I actually dislike on a role-playing level too. Rubbing my belief that mages should be free in Vivienne's face was my favorite side activity in Inquisition.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Just let whoever wrote Dorian be the lead writer for the companions. Best DAI companion by far.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
If there is one type of trailer that I dislike, it's those where it's just a bunch of developers talking very generic things about the game. Also, it's particularly funny in this case when Bioware's last game was one of the biggest disappointments of the generation and the one before that the greatest failure in videogame history. Then you hear someone saying there are at the vanguard of motion capture... funny, to say the least.

All that said, I guess it was this or nothing, and this is definitely better than nothing. I love behind the scene stuff, and those small glimpses into the early game are fantastic. We can only make the most basic guesses, but combat feels more action oriented than all previous games. With you focus one one character rather than a party.

Also hope it takes place in Tevinter. Some of the artworks might be there but DA doesn't really have a sense of identity so it could be anywhere really.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Finally something to chew on for Dragon Age, can't believe its been 6 years since the last one. Even harder to believe that they are only in early production for the game, did they reboot the already rebooted project ?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Carver was fucking good and Sera to this day is the only companion that realizes that monarchy is an abomination.

(Also the dude's been there since like BG1, cut him some slack.)

EDIT: Hell he was the lead writer for BG1 and Jaheira through both games
Agree. I like both of those characters.

That said, having a dude write the first lesbian in the game does feel kinda iffy and the team really needs more women (especially queer ones). Ultimately, I think the odds are really against this game but I love Dragon Age and hope that it succeeds against those odds.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
gaider. dorian is one of my fave characters in the series.

Hm I really disagree with that, this is his resume from Dragon Age alone:

Dragon Age: Origins
Gaider wrote Zevran Arainai, Alistair, Cailan, Morrigan, Shale, and a large part of Duncan. David Gaider also created the Dalish Elf Origin, Human Noble Origin, and the Nature of the Beast and Arl of Redcliffe questlines.[5]

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
Gaider wrote Anders, Nathaniel Howe, and Justice[5].

Dragon Age II
Gaider wrote Cassandra Pentaghast, Fenris, Orsino, and Meredith Stannard.[5]

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Gaider wrote Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian Pavus, Morrigan, and Flemeth.[6]

And that's before getting into HK-47 from KOTOR and the like.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to hear more updates about the game. Seems like it won't be out for even longer than I thought :(

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Finally something to chew on for Dragon Age, can't believe its been 6 years since the last one. Even harder to believe that they are only in early production for the game, did they reboot the already rebooted project ?
From what we know, this is the rebooted project since they shelved their "Joplin" concept for Dragon Age 4. It seems this iteration of the game has been in development since 2017, if I'm not mistaken.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what we know, this is the rebooted project since they shelved their "Joplin" project for Dragon Age 4. It seems this iteration of the game has been in development since 2017, if I'm not mistaken.
I don't think this is the same thing that was reported on in 2017 tbh. I think there was another internal reboot that didn't get an article yet, just a hunch.

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
The entire art team is so skilled, I can't wait for this to inevitably lead to more art books/The World of Thedas Vol. 3.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think this is the same thing that was reported on in 2017 tbh. I think there was another internal reboot that didn't get an article yet, just a hunch.
They wouldn't have been able to start in "full" development with most of BioWare devs on it until Anthem came out in 2019. This games hasn't been in full production that long

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They wouldn't have been able to start in "full" development with most of BioWare devs on it until Anthem came out in 2019. This games hasn't been in full production that long
BioWare has always had two teams and for the most part, the Dragon Age team wasn't working on Anthem until Mark Darrah had to come along and take the reigns of the project to deliver something at launch. The game was reportedly in a much worse state before he came in.
While Anthem was their main thing, the Dragon Age team was working on the prototype for Dragon Age 4 they dubbed Joplin. That prototype has since been shelved.
I don't think they only started development on Dragon Age 4 after Anthem launched.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
EgcmIGFWoAATlg-

The companions i guess.

The dude in the right is going to be cool, hopefully someone like Fane.

da4companionspmkmd.png

If I had to guess, these are possible companions as well. I remember they showed a ton of art of the companions for Dragon Age Inquisition really, really early too (without specificying that they were companions, just "concept art"). Pretty much confirms a female Qunari rogue (with horns) companion.

Blonde warrior might be the default player character.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
BioWare has always had two teams and for the most part, the Dragon Age team wasn't working on Anthem until Mark Darrah had to come along and take the reigns of the project to deliver something at launch. The game was reportedly in a much worse state before he came in.
While Anthem was their main thing, the Dragon Age team was working on the prototype for Dragon Age 4 they dubbed Joplin. That prototype has since been shelved.
I don't think they only started development of Dragon Age 4 after Anthem launched.
It would have been a small team though, pre production. I think we are getting tripped up on terms here, I'm talking full production with the bulk of BioWare's resources focusing on it, most of them were focused on Anthem or MEA before that.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It's been a year and a half since Anthem came out and another team had already been doing pre-production on DA4 before then. That's pretty long.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
That was great and showed way more than I expected.

I would love for them to do dev diaries similar to what Ninja Theory does.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Qunari better be playable. And they absolutely NEED to be based on DA2 design.
Qunari-trailer.png

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
da4companionspmkmd.png

If I had to guess, these are possible companions as well. I remember they showed a ton of art of the companions for Dragon Age Inquisition really, really early too (without specificying that they were companions, just "concept art"). Pretty much confirms a female Qunari rogue (with horns) companion.

Blonde warrior might be the default player character.
Maybe we'll finally get some long hairstyles for the characters then.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been a small team though, pre production. I think we are getting tripped up on terms here, I'm talking full production with the bulk of BioWare's resources focusing on it, most of them were focused on Anthem or MEA before that.
Andromeda was developed by a different studio, so for the most part it also didn't impact BioWare Edmonton (not until it got dragged to help the Montreal team deliver something at launch as well). Indeed, it was probably a small team working in pre-production for a while, but the Dragon Age team was most likely fully working on it even before Anthem was out, because that was a different team.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I have very little faith in current Bioware, but hopefully they deliver, not holding my breath

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's been a year and a half since Anthem came out and another team had already been doing pre-production on DA4 before then. That's pretty long.
It's not that long, especially when half a year of that production has been slowed down due to the pandemic and most game stuff only really comes together in like 3 months to launch. A lot of the demos and footage we see at events are specifically built for the event, that's why we often see such drastic changes from them. We're seeing models, environments, motion capture and voice acting in the video, I don't think any of that is weird for this stage of development? Could be wrong though
Andromeda was developed by a different studio, so for the most part it also didn't impact BioWare Edmonton (not until it got dragged to help the Montreal team deliver something at launch as well). Indeed, it was probably a small team working in pre-production for a while, but the Dragon Age team was most likely fully working on it even before Anthem was out, because that was a different team.
Was Edmonton not brought in to help Mass Effect Andromeda something like a year and a half before launch with the bulk of it's team? That's like begining 2016 terioritory, and the Dragon Age team just finished Trespasser end of 2015, they would still have had a small team but they wouldn't have given a large number of devs when DA4 stage would have been early pre production, prototype stage?

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
They literally showed footage of the game, though. And actors recording their lines. And gave a gist of the kind of story they're going for. And showed tons of concept art.

It's not saying nothing.

Thank you! Too many people think that a game under development looks like a finished game, only there's less of it. That's just not how things work. We saw functioning prototypes, animation tests, new designs, heard the voices of characters we haven't yet met, and saw a ton of concept art.

This was, frankly, a far more meaningful and meaty update than a CG trailer - which has nothing whatsoever to do with making process on the game itself. I am officially hyped and hopeful, though I know the game is quite some time away.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It's not that long, especially when half a year of that production has been slowed down due to the pandemic and most game stuff only really comes together in like 3 months to launch. A lot of the demos and footage we see at events are specifically built for the event, that's why we often see such drastic changes from them. We're seeing models, environments, motion capture and voice acting in the video, I don't think any of that is weird for this stage of development? Could be wrong though

Was Edmonton not brought in to help Mass Effect Andromeda something like a year and a half before launch with the bulk of it's team? That's like begining 2016 terioritory, and the Dragon Age team just finished Trespasser end of 2015, they would still have had a small team but they wouldn't have given a large number of devs when DA4 stage would have been early pre production, prototype stage?
I'm just going off their own words here where they're say they're in "early production." That sounds, to me, like the pre-production that was being done during Anthem's development got rebooted again and they entered another long pre-production period again once Anthem launched instead of going straight into full production.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That's correct, and that's when they had the Joplin prototype, then it got rebooted in 2017. As some other members said, there might have been another reboot, but we haven't heard any kind of confirmation from the usual sources about it. So for now I believe they have been working on this game since 2017, and the amount of work they've shown today kind of show that they're quite a bit far along for a game that is still about two years away.
Thank you! Too many people think that a game under development looks like a finished game, only there's less of it. That's just not how things work. We saw functioning prototypes, animation tests, new designs, heard the voices of characters we haven't yet met, and saw a ton of concept art.

This was, frankly, a far more meaningful and meaty update than a CG trailer - which has nothing whatsoever to do with making process on the game itself. I am officially hyped and hopeful, though I know the game is quite some time away.
Indeed. I mean, yeah, it's the usual bias people have against BioWare. People come into these threads, drop their drive-by and never come back to reply to your questions about their belief that this game is somehow doomed or whatever.

Last edited:

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully the Ps4 era of Bioware was just a crappy phase and they pull it back next gen. Jedi Fallen Order should be a wake up call for EA. We want single player games.