• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who would win in a fight?

• Scarlet Witch (Marvel Comics)

Votes: 91 76.5%
  • Zatanna (DC Comics)

Votes: 28 23.5%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
The next DEATH BATTLE is between two of the most powerful beings for the respective universe - these two magical sorceress can bend reality to their strength and will be fighting it out to see which magic user reigns supreme - it is Scarlet Witch from Marvel Comics vs Zatanna from DC Comics:

dedb6hq-5808be29-c2d9-4174-8b2a-715b2807d253.jpg

Why this matchup?:

This has been a long time request with Scarlet Witch and Zatanna being often compared to each other in terms of being extremely broken magical sorceresses who can warp reality to their needs. While Marvel vs DC is a bit overblown - this episode makes a lot of sense to do and with Doctor Strange 2, it was the perfect time to do it.

Doesn't Scarlet Witch destroy with 0 effort?

The answer is well no, this fight is a lot closer than people give credit for due to the simple fact that Zatanna is well..broken. Zatanna's feats will be brought up later but don't entirely count Zatanna out just yet is all i am going to say.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I cannot see how Zatanna can match up with Scarlet Witch. Just seems incredibly one sided, even taking into account the random power ups and deus ex stuff she's had.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They going to include Wanda's recent powerup?

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say Wanda, but DC usually has some ridiculously broken feats that overwhelm anything in Marvel canon.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Acarlet is really fucking crazy.

"No more Zatanna"

That being said magic DC is pretty broken in itself so it isn't a complete stomp.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Wanda's greatest hits involve huge continuity/status quo changing events - No More Mutants, all the Avengers Disassembled stuff, creating living people (Billy and Tommy) by splitting horcruxes off Mephisto (or whatever), the recent thing she did to Krakoa/Cerebro where now pre-backup mutants can be resurrected directly from the Astral Plane even if they lived a thousand years ago (or, say, were killed in action in the very first Claremont X-Men story).

I guess you could argue that she didn't have real control of her powers for most of these, but still - Wanda does stuff that changes and shapes the whole canon. BIG things whose effects stick for years and decades. And the fact that her immense power is often chaotic and unpredictable should make her MORE scary, not less.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean .. there would need to be some real bullshittery to not have Wanda win this.
Yep and I'm fully expecting it. Curious what they'll pull up to justify Zatanna winning. Mostly because I've been wrong about damn near every death battle so as I think Wanda should win I expect Zatanna as a result.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Zatanna's baseline is way higher than Wanda's, but she doesn't usually reach for her ceiling the way that Wanda does.

To elaborate on my point, Wanda on an average day uses magical versions of energy projection, telekinesis, and telepathy. She'll pop the occasional additional power every now and then. She'll do longer rituals for more impressive feats. And when she does something more showy witthout having to do any kind of casting ritual it's usually portrayed as a flexing of her powers to show how dangerous she really is.

Zatanna will casually turn a mother fucker into a rabbit and hop dimensions. These are not flexes of her power, this is shit she does on a whim. She's got the same energy projection and telekinetic powers in her common repertoire, plus self healing, teleportation, and all other kinds of nonsense. She does it on reflex all the damn time. On top of that she's very good at fucking up other magic users. It's practically her raison d'etre.

But, but, Wanda's high watermarks are much higher than Zatanna's.

With the way Death Battle works, Wanda should win this one. With the way comic book character vs games are usually set up (by arguing the rough averages of the characters against one another), Zatanna takes it.

Last edited:

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen Zatanna job enough times to know that Wanda stomps her even in her worst day.

She has a huge disadvantage by having to say every spell out loud.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She doesn't though. It's a focus, it lets her cast easier. She can silent cast just fine, but why play on normal difficulty when lives are on the line and easy mode is right there?
Then I have no idea what happened to her the couple of times I've seen someone taking the ability to speak away from her. She was completely disabled.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Zatanna job enough times to know that Wanda stomps her even in her worst day.

She has a huge disadvantage by having to say every spell out loud.
I was just going to ask, does Zatanna need to speak her spells, or is it just that it helps her? Because idk, Zatanna's reality warping otherwise hasn't really shown a lot of limits. I guess we've never seen her rewrite a universe, unless I'm forgetting something

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My problem with judging this is I feel like literally every Zatanna story I've read hits her with something to make her weaker, as her regular power set is theoretically a story breaker and the writers don't want to deal with it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Their powerset is pretty even but Zatanna has to talk backwards to use her magic

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Seems like the most unbalanced Marvel x DC Death Battle since Flash vs Quiksilver.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Episode is out:

roosterteeth.com

Scarlet Witch VS Zatanna (Marvel VS DC) - DEATH BATTLE! - S10E2 - Rooster Teeth

Magic is in the air! Which witch will win this duel?

Oh boy....this is going to be one of the most controversial episodes in DEATH BATTLE history. The winner of this fight is..

Zatanna

Yes you heard me, Zatanna took home the W
I don't think that makes sense by Death Battle's usual standards, but in a fight based on average showings, as I've said before, Zatanna walks all over Wanda. So I'm not pressed.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I'm definitely going to check this out later. I didn't know Zatanna was on Scarlet's level.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Man felt the death blow could have done without blood given either one could have literally one another, but who am I kidding. It is DB after all lol.

While I'm not questioning the outcome, it is rather sad seeing both Maximoff twins ending up biting the dust. Together in death. I do hope Magneto (whenever he makes an appearances) manages a win, even if that ain't a guarantee.

And think this is the first time DB uses scenes from DCSHG 2019. Kind of wonder why scenes from that show weren't used for WW's more recent appearance, Batgirl and Harley.