• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like I now have a reason to upgrade from my trusty 360 pc controller :)

Sorry if this seems to be derealling the thread but can you use it wired?

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
nah clicky dpads suck doing motions in fighting games will feel terrible

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Love and hate the clickiness depending on the time lol but yeah, it's a great dpad

I'll probably be alone in this but I remember loving the OG DS dpad too. It had a clicking to it that the DS lite didn't and really didn't like that.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Way too clicky for my liking. The total opposite of PS5's, which I find too mushy.

The SNES (Nintendo Online version) and Genesis/Saturn/8bitdo M30 are still home to the best d-pads to grace these generations IMO.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I haven't tried the new Xbox controller, but the Stadia controller I got for free has a pretty solid dpad and I like it better than the DualSense one.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate it but don't like it. It's too hard, harsh and comically loud. I find the DS far more comfortable to use, especially late at night when I'd rather my inputs not keep my family awake.
lol, tf kind of living situation you in where you can game and not have that keep someone awake, but the tiny little clicks of the pad are suddenly giant sirens going off.

Nah. Takes too much force to activate, too clicky, and the clicks kinda sound hollow on the oddly shaped piece of plastic.

Had they made it easier/smoother to activate, it'd be a contender for one of the best. For now, I didn't realize there could be such a thing as "too clicky".

The Genesis 6-button grey start button, followed by Sega Saturn are still the tops.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
It feels good but it's too loud. I gave up on trying to play with it in bed (Xcloud on an Android phone) because it's too loud for me to use next to my wife while she is trying to sleep or read a book.

I don't have that problem with the Switch or Vita. Nevertheless, I am glad that it is much improved. My last Xbox was the 360 and that DPad was so bad that I never understood how it ever made it onto a finalized commercial product.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I truly don't understand why Sony has not put the Vita dpad into the Dualshock 4 or Dualsense. It's the best dpad I've ever used. Very tactile AND really quiet. It's very premium feeling in a way that the loud clicky dpads aren't.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is it about clicky pads some seem to hate so much? What repulses you?
For reference, my GOATs are the Saturn and the 6 button mega drive/genesis controllers so I obviously have absolutely nothing against non-clicky dpads... but the Vita dpad is proof enough that clicky pads can most definitely deliver.
I'll admit I haven't found a single clicky dpad to be ideal for fighting games but other than that specific use case they're pretty great when done well.

It's not even just d-pads for me. I find controllers that end up louder than the game your playing is pretty distracting. But generally I just don't like the weird resistive feel of it. I like clicky buttons for say, a volume button on your mobile phone. But on a controller I just don't like it at all. Don't like the clicky bumpers or dpad on an Xbox and I absolutely HATE the clicky face buttons on the joycons. It's similar to keyboards. I'll never understand why anyone would want clicky keys. Gross.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
yall complaining about the clicky d-pad and i always go "haha controller goes clicky clacky"

love it
it being good helps a lot too

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I am thoroughly impressed with the D-Pads.

Playing Tetris Connected on the XSX was a pleasure.

OP
OP
awake4ages

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like I now have a reason to upgrade from my trusty 360 pc controller :)

Sorry if this seems to be derealling the thread but can you use it wired?

I haven't used batteries in mine at all yet, just plugged into my PC via USB-C.

nah clicky dpads suck doing motions in fighting games will feel terrible
Having used it now for around 20 hours, I definitely hard disagree

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up the new Xbox controller because of OP. The dpad really does feel amazing. Can't wait to chuck my greasy old 1st gen DS4 that was falling apart and could hardly hold a charge anymore.

Sep 29, 2020
It's good but it could be a little less clicky (just a little, the feedback is good but it could be just a tad mushier) and a bit quieter.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
It functions really well, but it's way too loud during inputs.

I would like to see a revision that has a quieter D-PAD and maybe round off the directionional edges a bit. I hope they also release an Elite controller based on the Series X revision.

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
It is the closest thing I have felt to a SEGA dpad from a first party in a long time. The 8BitDo m30 is still my favorite modern dpad, but the Series X controller comes close.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to an elite series 3 that will take some cues from it.... but will still promptly die after a few months of use... sorry going OT

That D pad is really nice.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to an elite series 3 that will take some cues from it.... but will still promptly die after a few months of use... sorry going OT

That D pad is really nice.
Yeah, that was always my worry, but I think they recently upped the warranty from 3 months to 1 yr. Still waiting on a revision.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I figured it would be amazing for fighting games, after I first got my hands on it. But having tried it today, it's not as good as I imagined (didn't try 3D fighters, only 2D). Perhaps I just need to get used to it.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
It feels great from a mechanical perspective.

The real disappointment is how MS fucked up the new controller's audio output - constant static/hissing, a large thread about it on MS forums, yet radio silence from MS. I've had to use my Xbox One X/S controllers full-time because of it. WTF?

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
It feels great from a mechanical perspective.

The real disappointment is how MS fucked up the new controller's audio output - constant static/hissing, a large thread about it on MS forums, yet radio silence from MS. I've had to use my Xbox One X/S controllers full-time because of it. WTF?
I'm gonna be thankful for my unicorn then. I switched to using my new pad full time because it has had 99% less static/interference issues than my XB1 pads have. That's fucked tho :(

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like the disc, it's a clear downgrade from the One's D-pad for me. I don't mind the clickiness though.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It feels good and it is very nice for menus and Tetris, but I don't find it great for 2D games like Hard Corps Uprising. Seems to confuse diagonals a bit.

I like how clicky it is, though.
This is the exact reason why I don't like the Xbox One's or Series. They're fine for things where the click works but the lack of "squishiness" actually hurts it for most 2D stuff. It would be fine to use switches over traditional membrane + contacts pads but there's some tactile feedback missing when you remove the membrane as it is.