• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Dont like the clickyness, also a bit too stiff for my liking

I dont hate it, it does the job! but it's far from the best ever Dpad I've used.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That click feedback is so satisfying

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
It is a little loud but it's great to use.

I've been replaying Oblivion lately on Series X and having the diagonal hotkeys be actually useable and reliable has made it much better than when I originally played it on 360.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Agree. Got the white one with my Series S, installed Tetris Effect that same day, was blown away how much better it feels than Tetris 99 on my Switch Pro Controller, for example.

Oct 30, 2017
it's really really good. almost feels like microswitches.

the elite series 2 is garbage by comparison whichever part you use. i would honestly upgrade to a series 3 just to get this d-pad with the overall feel of the rest of the elite.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Edit: Vita D-Pad is GOAT for me.

b25f87b75d5a3e2124d740fe15366f8f.gif

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Really want to try it. Usually use a Saturn pad for fighters but I've been playing Mortal Kombat 11 lately and that actually requires having a right stick in some modes so I've been forced to use the Xbox One pad which is ok for MK but far from ideal. By looks alone the new one seems like it would be better.

Always preferred a good disc pad, it's just hardly anyone but Sega made a good one, nice it sounds like MS may have got it right this time.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used the new controller that came with my console yet (been using my elite 2). I'll probably give it a test run while I shelf my elite because of thumb stick issues.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
My only issue with the series x controller is the weight, and that's only because I prefer a heavier feel. Very solid controller, I just love the overall design of the series x and the controller.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It's the best clicky dpad to date. Other than noise I have no complaints. I'm still partial to membrane dpads like the snes and ds4. Shame the DualSense is a step down for dpad.

Huh? I've just changed my batteries for the second time since the XSX launch.

Sounds like you've barely played your xsx. Enloops need to be swapped and charged weekly with regular use.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to feel it for fighting games, but don't have a series x. The dualsense is great if a bit mushy.

Think I prefer DS4 for those.

xoxoclvbs

Aug 1, 2020
I have the play and charge kit in my Series X controller and I get AT LEAST 8-12 hours, somewhere in there. I never really paid attention to exactly how long it is, but I will next time.

Nov 19, 2017
This is one of those things where I feel completely out of touch because I really don't like the new dpad. In fact I'd say it's the worst dpad any major console has had since the 360. Vastly preferred the One's dpad, new one is too loud, stiff and the disc design just doesn't feel right.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me so much of the Vita, but in a more preferable form factor (I like the whole pad above the housing) so yeah, it's wonderful.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wish it was a little quieter (it really clicks!) but it's very Sega-like and that was a nice surprise. It's definitely miles better than the d-pad on the Elite v2, which I wasn't expecting. It's a 'good d-pad'.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To this day Im shocked that while Microsoft has improved their d-pads from bottom of the barrel trash to legit good d-pad, Nintendo has managed to make each d-pad worse since they reached perfection with the SNES

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
It does feel very nice. It's loud as hell though. I wouldn't want to play an actual game like a 2D platformer with it, I only use it to navigate menus.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, as far as modern stock controllers go, it's pretty much unbeatable. I wonder if there are any good teardown videos of this controller that go into detail about the changes between the Xbox Series X|S controller d-pad and the Xbox One controller d-pad. And yeah, I love the Robot White version of the controller. I purchased an Xbox Series X but ended up purchasing the Robot White controller separately because 1) it was $39.99 at the time, and 2) I missed how my white Xbox One controller (which I traded in with my Xbox One X) looked with the Chatpad attached.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I have large hands and not only are the buttons themselves on the smaller side, there's not enough room between it and the left stick.

It's fine but I vastly prefer the DS4 & DualSense d-pads.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
dont plan on getting series s/x most likely, but might have to pick one of these up, I love disc dpads

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I appreciate it but don't like it. It's too hard, harsh and comically loud. I find the DS far more comfortable to use, especially late at night when I'd rather my inputs not keep my family awake.

This needs more attention. As someone who plays with other people around the Series X controller, especially the d-pad, is obnoxiously loud.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like you've barely played your xsx. Enloops need to be swapped and charged weekly with regular use.

Is charging weekly bad?
Im using Energizer Silvers (left my Eneloops in the US) and I charge about once every 5 days or so.
For me thats actually a good life.

How many hours do people play daily and/or expect battery life in a controller to last?
My burner phone doesnt last as long as my Xbox controller.

Deleted member 4579

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for PC use, is bluetooth acceptable or should someone spring for the wireless USB adapter? I'm strongly considering buying of the new xbox controllers soon - I'm still using an old wired 360 pad, and its famously terrible d-pad has been annoying me recently

Hi, I found bluetooth to be a bit hit and miss with regards to reconnecting when you turned it back on - didn't often seem to do it automatically. That's pretty anecdotal though, I admit!

The xbox usb adapter has worked flawlessly for me though (I have the smaller 2nd gen one).

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Is charging weekly bad?
Im using Energizer Silvers (left my Eneloops in the US) and I charge about once every 5 days or so.
For me thats actually a good life.

How many hours do people play daily and/or expect battery life in a controller to last?
My burner phone doesnt last as long as my Xbox controller.

No, like you I charge every 5 days or at least once a week it seems. The other user claimed to have only needed to charge twice since launch which is fairytale battery length for this controller.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
No, like you I charge every 5 days or at least once a week it seems. The other user claimed to have only needed to charge twice since launch which is fairytale battery length for this controller.

Since launch or since he got the controller.....2 weeks ago? Haha.

Cuz yeah, I know the factory Duracell's last longer than my rechargeables but not months and months long.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it looks pretty good. Haven't tried it myself but all the praise has me wanting to get it once either Genshin Impact on iOS add controller support (for the love of fuck please....) Or I finally give in and dip my toes in PC gaming.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I love it, but it's clear the area behind it has nothing in it and I'm tempted to open the controller and put a dampener there to reduce the noise. The controller is my new go-to for puzzle games like Lumines and Tetris Effect. Only the Vita had a dpad this good.