• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I recently upgraded my PC and internet connection and have been playing an increasing number of games on my PC. I've never owned an Xbox console, so previously when I played the few games I felt like playing on PC I would use either use a Dualshock 4, Switch Pro controller or other assorted 8bitdo or 3rd party controllers. However, now that I'm beginning to play more games on PC I'm getting tired of using 3rd party programs or Steam configurations to configure these multitude of controllers to work as Xinput pads as there never seemed to be a one-size-fits-all solution to these problems. So, I finally broke down and decided to pick up my first Xbox controller this week, in the sleek-looking "Robot White" color.

51gNmD2-otL._SL1200_.jpg

I had always heard stories about friends who gamed on Xbox systems who historically didn't like the D-Pads so that was one of my main reasons for never making the jump to an Xbox pad before. But so far, this thing is absolutely sublime to use. I was incredibly surprised to find that it offers a wonderful tactile click in each direction, and when I discovered this I immediately ran to put it through its paces in various platformers and fighting games. And after doing so, it's even better than I expected.

I don't normally play too many fighting games on pads, but this is almost making me want to switch. The thing I love about using an arcade stick is the tactile feedback of every direction in the stick's switches, and this d-pad is offering me that experience as well, which I tend not to find when using pads to play fighting games. The connected diagonal sections work wonderfully, reminding me of how the diagonals felt on vintage Sega pads, and the slight indent allows the thumb to rest comfortably almost similarly to how it does on the concave analog sticks. Platformers and puzzle games also play like a dream. I was blasting through levels in Sonic Mania and clearing lines in Tetris Effect Connected in no time. I even booted up Super Mario Bros. through emulation just to give it a shot and had an overall wonderful experience with the pad even in that game.

Overall I find myself remarkably impressed with this D-Pad (and the controller in general.) It just might work its way up the list to become one of my favorites the more I use it!

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best d-pad I've ever used. It's really, really good. The shape, the feedback, it all just feels right. I'll be using my Xbox controller for fighting games and 2D games in general from now on because it feels so easy to just dial in inputs with this d-pad consistently and quickly.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, i'm very impressed with the D-pad as well. I've been putting it through its paces in Tetris effect and it's just perfect.
Really impressed that they found something which works great in such a small form factor. Can't wait to try stuff like Street Fighter on it.
I know some don't like the clackiness of it, but I love it.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting to hate it (don't like the disc d-pad on my Elite) but it's definitely a huge step up from the One d-pad (which was my favourite d-pad on any modern console).

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
I 100% agree. It is the single reason why I prefer the new Xbox Series X controller over the Dual Sense. I love how clicky and responsive it is.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm less impressed with it. Greatest dpad of all time still goes to the Sega Saturn (jpn and revamped American). The pad on the new Xbox controller is way too clicky and sharp.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
It feels good and it is very nice for menus and Tetris, but I don't find it great for 2D games like Hard Corps Uprising. Seems to confuse diagonals a bit.

I like how clicky it is, though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sounds great, hopefully I can give it a try at some point. A shame it doesn't have a gyroscope, as I'd use it as my main controller on PC otherwise.

It feels good and it is very nice for menus and Tetris, but I don't find it great for 2D games like Hard Corps Uprising. Seems to confuse diagonals a bit.

I like how clicky it is, though.
Oh, that might be an issue for fighting games.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I still need to get one of these... I know a few Vita fanboys that swear it compares favorably to that one, which is about the best damn dpad I've ever used.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
It's probably the best dpad I've used since the PS2 or Xbox controller S (everyone sleeps on the sega saturn style dpad it has).

Like it's got me rebuying fighters I have on PS4 already. Anything dpad focused I want on Xbox or PC now.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
It's the closest a d-pad has ever felt to having actual microswitches inside. Love the clickiness.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The d-pad is great the controller in general is perfection. Decades of sticking to the same general design and improving. I think the next thing coming is WiFi though that may not make it to all of the controllers, probably sold separately.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I agree 100%. I have an elite and wasn't expecting to use the controller in general much at all but I use it constantly now, the dpad is better than both of the elite variants.

skxdlxx

Nov 9, 2020
I appreciate it but don't like it. It's too hard, harsh and comically loud. I find the DS far more comfortable to use, especially late at night when I'd rather my inputs not keep my family awake.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a WAY better shape and for that reason alone is certainly a lot better than the shitty Xbox one d-pad. But clicky dpads are just 🤮

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
for PC use, is bluetooth acceptable or should someone spring for the wireless USB adapter? I'm strongly considering buying of the new xbox controllers soon - I'm still using an old wired 360 pad, and its famously terrible d-pad has been annoying me recently

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Haven't tried it yet but I heard similar praise for the XB1 dpad and came away disappointed.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
What? Sorry I can't hear you over the clicking noise it makes.

Edit: Vita D-Pad is GOAT for me.

To expand, after trying a lot of 2D games on Gamepass today, I found it incredibly distracting with the clicks. It's also oddly spaced/sized. Feel like I should be able to roll my thumb but, the sensation is weird with the large lowered square flat space in the middle of it. Like I have to push further to make it throw or click.

I came to the conclusion, it seems purpose built to be easy to recognize hits for inventory management a lot of games fell into using the d-pad for last gen.

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's really good!... but a bit too loud

Much much better than the One pad though, never understood the love for that one.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Yup, overall I'd say it's the most comfortable controller ever. MS has mastered the art of making controllers, will be interesting to see what they come up with next

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best dpad I've used. I love the clicky sounds. The plastic does make your thumb raw though. Kinda wonder how the squishier (dualsense) material would feel instead.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Anyone tried it for fighters? I heard that XB1 d-pad is better.
You heard wrong. Neither is ideal but you'll struggle way less with the new one.

Fighters specifically aside, the new dpad is indeed fantastic. All Microsoft has left to do is give me non clicky bumpers and I'll be 99% satisfied with their controller.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Haven't tried it yet but I heard similar praise for the XB1 dpad and came away disappointed.
This is miles better. Essentially, outside of failing to consistently nail DPs or Pretzel motions in fighters (tested with KOF2002UM) this one won't ever let you down. I'm a dpad skeptic and walked away a fan.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
It's really fantastic. It's probably the closest thing we've gotten to something evoking the Neo Geo/Pocket pad which means it's probably my favorite d-pad ever.

(But it's no replacement, for the love of god someone give me a modern controller with microswitches.)

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
It's a WAY better shape and for that reason alone is certainly a lot better than the shitty Xbox one d-pad. But clicky dpads are just 🤮
What is it about clicky pads some seem to hate so much? What repulses you?
For reference, my GOATs are the Saturn and the 6 button mega drive/genesis controllers so I obviously have absolutely nothing against non-clicky dpads... but the Vita dpad is proof enough that clicky pads can most definitely deliver.
I'll admit I haven't found a single clicky dpad to be ideal for fighting games but other than that specific use case they're pretty great when done well.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
Highest possible accuracy at the expense of the annoying noise and the not too much satisfying"clicky" feel.

Compared to another DPads internally built with metal domes with a standard pad shape on top, nice to see how the faceted/polygonal shape of the DPad makes the diagonals much easier to press and feel, this is my biggest concern with any other DPad built with metal domes (stadia controller, modded switch joycon).

I prefer it to the PS5 dissaponting mushy DPad, but not to DPad built with a nice and responsive classical membrane/rubber inside.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Coincidentally I used my Series X pad for the first time today (I have an Elite 2), to try out the latency stuff since it hasn't come to Xbox One pads yet.

And yeah - that D-pad is awesome. I thought it would be like the circular pad option on the Elite controllers, but it's very different. A bit clacky and loud, but that doesn't really bother me.

Was also surprised how much of a difference in feel the DLI tech makes during a game. Gears 5 felt a lot snappier to control.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It might just be my pad, but there's too much dead rattle without registering anything for a clicky d-pad. Weirdly up/right barely makes a sound when up and right individually make a regular click, and I find it harder to do that combination consistently as the others it seems like there's less throw and it's mushy.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love it too.

The Elite 2 is my main controller on PC and I use a normal one of the latest xb1 model on the Switch... It's perfect to play Picross Games on the Switch... Especially compared to the mushy mess of the Pro Controller.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I was using a Dualsense on my PC, but I got annoyed that a lot of games didn't support it.

Grabbed a new Xbox controller a few weeks ago, and yeah, it's great. Played some Ori with it and the d-pad was superb

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018
Agreed OP, it's been a joy to use. The controller overall is super well made. It's tied with the pro controller as my most favourite controller.

It's superb. Shame about the battery life.
I'm loving the battery life! I've got some eneloop batteries and it lasts me full week. Compared to the Dualshock 4 which had me recharing within sessions lol.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yep, it's easily one of the best I've ever used. I'd put it up there with the Sega Genesis 6-button, Japanese Saturn, and the PS Vita Dpads.

I had my doubts at first, but after I broke it in I've been ripping fireballs and dragon punch motions with ease in all manner of fighting games.

The other thing that impresses me is how comfortable it is to use, even though it's in the lower position. I think they've finally found the right balance of positions with the left analog and dpad on the Xbox controller. I'm really looking forward to an Elite 3 with all of these learnings brought into an incredibly high quality controller build.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Also agree with OP's assessment of the Series X/S gamepad - easily my favorite modern console dpad, and the best general purpose controller by far on PC. I tried it out with KOF, and was amazed at how easy it was to do precise diagonals (not an attribute I usually associate with any Xbox pad).

The only caveat is the actual "clicking" of the pad is noisy as hell, so if this is going to be a problem (like, if you use it a lot in a room where other people are sleeping) you should steer clear.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
This is the best d-pad in any controller ever. I have a Saturn controller and this is much better.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's good to know. I plan to upgrade from my x360 pad as the companion controller for the games sc doesn't cover well, usually due to the lack of a physical dpad. The lack of gyro sucks, but sc is there for that I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Tested it for a bit in Street Fighter V and it felt pretty tight, though a bit loud so that might get annoying. Still a little painful after a bit (less so than the X1 controller), but that might be because I'm a stick player.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Yeah, i'm very impressed with the D-pad as well. I've been putting it through its paces in Tetris effect and it's just perfect.
Really impressed that they found something which works great in such a small form factor. Can't wait to try stuff like Street Fighter on it.
I know some don't like the clackiness of it, but I love it.
The clackiness is the best part! So tactile.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I've switched over to the Xbox version of games solely because of how great this Dpad is.

It's superb. Shame about the battery life.
I've completed 9 games on it and have replaced the batteries twice, compared to having had to charge my Dualsense 10 times to finish eight. I wish the Dualsense offered AA options, as rechargeable external batteries are so much easier to swap out than remembering to charge a controller.