• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

As we all know, the growing trend in paying for goods & services is moving away from digital payments and using cash payments, right? And what better way to get out ahead of that trend than by creating a physical version of speculative currencies?

Introducing ... physical cash. As the cryptoverse has been wracking its collective mind for years to find a question to the answer that is cryptocurrency, they've finally cracked the code and found the answer. Physical cash. Despite the invention of the credit card in the 1950s, the glorious minds of crypto bros have provided us not a step backwards, but a step forward, into ...

Physical. Cash.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
so happens if the value of bitcoin changes while the transaction is still happening?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of that episode of recess where they got rid of recess then in trying to replace it, reinvented recess

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
nbfb74b766r81.png

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Funny how such a 'decentralized' system keeps on having to re-invent the existing centralized system. As if you need more proof that cryptocurrency adds no value that the existing financial system can't already provide.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
"I was really hungry and I wanted a personal chef, but I couldn't afford one, so I had this idea that I'd start a business that's like a timeshare thing for personal chefs where a bunch of people pool their money and you just use a personal chef when you need one. I was really excited, and then I realized that I had just invented the restaurant."
-Dan Mintz

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Funny how such a 'decentralized' system keeps on having to re-invent the existing centralized system. As if you need more proof that cryptocurrency adds no value that the existing financial system can't already provide.

Blockchain in general is all about trying to invent problems it could solve.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty much classic Silicon Valley to think you're so far ahead of the world but have really only recreated what we've already been doing for a hundred (thousands of?) years only more expensive, worse, and with less features.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Reminds me of the Soviet Era written short story about a man trying to destroy bureaucracy via... making more bureaucracy.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
How long under they invent a centralized authority, headed by a board of let's call them "governors," to make sure there are enough physical coins in circulation and to prop up let's call them "not-banks" when the physical coins are, let's say, "withdrawn" but before new physical coins are deposited or perhaps "minted"?

They can call it the Central Stockpile Committee.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the entire FUCKING POINT of Crypto was so that you did NOT have to use any physical currency?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
crypto bros be like: "how can we waste even more resources on this bullshit?"

Oct 26, 2017
It's even worse than the OP puts it.

All any crypto bro's talking about is how easy it'll be to HODL with these bills. So no one will actually use the cash for transactions and stick with traditional currency. Which makes this all moot.

And you need an app to use this cash? What is the point of this?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So if I'm understanding this right, they've created something that in ten years will be worth more than the money it represents due to its novelty status, but it will still be worth less than Beanie Babies and Pogs?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they're only scamming each other, I see no problem with it.

Pyramid schemes always need fresh meat at the bottom of the pyramid.

NFT traders will buy up their own or each others NFTs to boost the price, but at the end of the day there's got to be an exit for that and someone is left holding the bag.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So from what I understand they are converting their digital pretend money into physical pretend money. Not to actually spend it or use it for transactions but to just hold on to it, physically. And you prove its yours through an app?