• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.newyorker.com

The Best Video Games of 2020

Away from the corporate mainstream, artists offered games that were bold and nourishing, and that made a tough year just a tiny bit brighter.
In the Before Times, on transatlantic flights, I would often assume the role of a deadly virus that threatened the human race. The key to success in the game Plague Inc., from 2012, is to mutate in ways that both hasten the virus's spread and impede a vaccine's development. It was perversely enjoyable to pass an hour, forehead smushed against a window, swiping toward extinction. But 2020 spiked that small pleasure. Much like transatlantic travel itself, role-playing a pandemic can appear, at the moment, to be rather unseemly.

Not so for video games at large, however. The medium is ideally suited to coronavirus lockdown, when the boundaries of the physical world contract and the imagination strains for freedom. Games offer a chance for the housebound to visit distant lands, for the unemployed to experience the satisfaction of a completed task, for the lonely to interact with others. If you're a skeptic, this might've been the year you picked up a controller.

Not everyone was convinced, of course. In quarantine, many parents saw the quasi-divine power that games hold over their children—even as those games provided surrogate playgrounds, places where friendships could be nourished. Some veterans, too, might have been thrust into an uneasy relationship with the form. Personally speaking, video games, with their synthetic rewards and twinkly distractions, didn't quite manage to assuage my weariness with the world this year. Perhaps that's because they so often present us with a world in crisis, one which we alone can fix, usually through violent means. The capacity to order chaos is comforting, arguably the medium's greatest appeal, and yet I increasingly find these particular kinds of stories hollow. The idea that the great issues of our time can be solved by weapons, for example, seems to me not just a weakness of games but, increasingly, a failure of the human imagination, with consequences on a global-industrial scale.

Still, away from the corporate mainstream, artists continued to offer alternatives: games that were bold and nourishing, and that made a tough year just a tiny bit brighter. Here, in no particular order, are some of the best.

in no particular order:
- Hades
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- The Last of Us Part II
- Through the Darkest of Times
- Cloudpunk
- Disc Room
- Clubhouse Games
- I Am Dead
- Crusader Kings 3
- If Found...
- A Monster's Expedition
- Astro's Playroom

honorable mentions:
- Cloud Gardens
- Fuser
- Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Murder by Numbers
- Noita
- Paradise Killer
- Spelunky 2
- Spiritfarer
- Streets of Rage 4
- There Is No Game

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit list is full of varied games so I can't generate a narrative why the game I want to win isn't on it.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Always nice to look into Parkin's best of the year.

I bought If Found... last week knowing little about it, his short thoughts on this article made me super interested to start it now.

Nov 4, 2017
That certainly a list of games that came out in 2020 and were liked by some people. Clubhouse Games being on there is the most New Yorker thing I think I've ever seen. The lack of Ghost of Tsushima is a bit of a surprise, but it's nice to see CK3 getting some love.

I also think an un-numbered "here's some cool stuff" list is refreshing and a welcome change from rankings that immediately split the room.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they keep snubbing 13 Sentinels and Yakuza: LAD?????

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i really didn't expect murder by numbers to show up in any end of the year lists so it's been a pleasant surprise to see it in a few of them. hopefully encourages the devs to improve things and make a better sequel.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see a list like this giving out a shout to Disc Room. That game deserves way more attention. I'd highly recommend it to everyone who thinks it looks interesting because it executes on the core idea perfectly.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I guess I'll count this as a "Top 22" list that Ori was omitted from. Add it to the list.

Nov 4, 2017
Starts with a C, ends with punk, has 9 letters. Good job Cloudpunk!
t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I really like these "in no particular order" lists. We get to avoid the "UGH GAME X OVER GAME Y" shitposts, at least.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
Call of Duty Warzone made 3 billion dollars this year and is one of the best entries since the original Modern Warfare and shows up on nearly zero best of lists. Critics gonna critic.

Oct 27, 2017
It felt like the buzz around Doom Eternal lessened pretty quickly as the year rolled on, but even then I'm shocked how absent it appears from these lists, or even the conversations around these lists.

Not even honourable mentions.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Very happy to see Cloudpunk on the list. I was worried this year's best cyberpunk game would get snubbed.

It's a neat game to play, very chill, and it especially shines with the post-launch patches. It's fresh and has an excellent emotional build-up over the course of the game, not to mention a very cool cyberpunk city.

Also happy to see Monster's Expedition and Through the Darkest of Times, although I haven't played them. Glad to see lists like these that promote meaningful games.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
It felt like the buzz around Doom Eternal lessened pretty quickly as the year rolled on, but even then I'm shocked how absent it appears from these lists, or even the conversations around these lists.

Not even honourable mentions.
Damn shame, imo. Just finished my second playthrough, and while it isn't perfect it's an intense experience that I haven't had anywhere else.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Just realised Kentucky Route Zero finds no mention on either list. That's very surprising, given the author appreciated other narrative adventures.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Honestly, I don't know why people are shocked 13 Sentinels is getting snubbed by publications like the New Yorker. I'm only a few hours in and yet there's been some stupid anime tropes that have already made me cringe and I grew up on stupid anime tropes. I'm not surprised reviewers would be turned off by the game.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I love that the New Yorker started loosely covering videogames a few years ago because they have takes from outside the videogame industry that are refreshing. They also unabashedly cover games as art, explicitly in the preamble of this.

Call of Duty Warzone made 3 billion dollars this year and is one of the best entries since the original Modern Warfare and shows up on nearly zero best of lists. Critics gonna critic.

This is a good example of why I like the New Yorkers coverage, because they don't care about things that we care about like how much a game sold or the financial success of microtransactions in Madden or other things that generally aren't indicative of the quality of a thing. The videogame industry is still relatively young where "the thing that sells the best" has a strong correlation to "the thing that is the best" (or near enough to it), but this isn't the case in other culture areas that the New Yorker covers, and so I love the fresh perspective they bring to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Parkin is a great writer and for people who don't know he does have a background in traditional games media. His skill obviously transcends that niche, however.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Very cool, diverse list.

Great to see Fuser get some recognition!