• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Man, this is... really key. These guys - white, male, successful, hyper privileged, in short - they don't really believe that anything outside of their experience exists. They don't comprehend the notion that things that didn't effect them, personally, can leave a mark on other people. It's a critical failing of empathy, and it's at the root of so so much of what's wrong with the systems they've built.
I call this "White Male-itis". And yes, it's both rampant and insidious.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
"I'm not that political"

Well don't write a book about the current political climate then, dumbass.

EDIT : also the idea that democracy is showing up to vote once every couple of years and just shutting up in between... well that's something I guess.

Except he writes a book on politics while others should shut up between voting.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I was looking for this earlier but it took me a while to find it, because as I say I will not tire of this dude getting clowned on:
https://www.bookforum.com/inprint/0...M-3oV5Ky0jy30NB8Yl6Y7z36rFHCnrMyi-L59cSj0lPtc

"Somewhere in the last few years—and I can't pinpoint exactly when—a vague yet almost overwhelming and irrational annoyance started tearing through me maybe up to a dozen times a day," Ellis writes on the first page of White. By this, he just means Twitter, which he believes to be governed by an authoritarian conformism out to suppress true free speech. He has gotten this impression, it seems, from some mean things that people said to him online in response to a few harmless tweets. "That a gay man can't tell a joke equating AIDS with Grindr (something my boyfriend and I had used a number of times) without being scorned as self-loathing is indicative of a new fascism," Ellis announces. Readers may wonder what kids in cages are indicative of.

It is perfectly acceptable to bitch and moan about how the mean people didn't like your good tweets, but there is a time and a place for such behavior, and it is not the offices of Alfred A. Knopf, publisher. Surely someone will let Bret Easton Ellis into their group chat. "Twitter encouraged the bad boy in me," he admits, the first man to whom this has ever happened. Yet if you feel you must spend pages clarifying what you meant when you tweeted, in 2012, that Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow was overrated because she was "a very hot woman," then not only are you a bland sexist, but also, and much more importantly, you kind of suck at Twitter. In this regard, White is a simple case of illiteracy. Indeed, one begins to question if Ellis, who cannot stop bragging about his Gen-Xer negativity, has ever taken a good look at Twitter, the most inventively negative cultural institution of the twenty-first century, whose own users regularly call it "this hell site."

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Could not imagine wanting to read Brett Easton Ellis' real thoughts on the real world.... BEE should 100% keep away from non fiction lol

Feb 3, 2018
What really is funny is the end quote there:

"It's interesting to have that back-and-forth pull in an interview. The only problem, however, is that I am not that political, and so, when we have this conversation, and you confront me with certain things like this, I really am, I have to say, at a loss. "

Really he made a ton of political statements and when confronted he actually turns out be a moron who has no fucking idea what he is talking about.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
American Psycho is a fucking terrible book. It is so utterly in love with itself and its interminable, vacuous descriptions of meaningless shit.

It's a masterpiece. The "interminable, vacuous descriptions of meaningless shit" are intentional. They illustrate the shallow materialism that consumes Patrick Bateman's personality. In the novel, Bateman's idol is Donald Trump, which is fitting.

I don't understand why Bret Easton Ellis has embraced the culture he appeared to be critiquing with his novel.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
What the fuck happened to BEE? He used to be a satirist who sometimes injected himself into his work as a way of showing he's willing to hold himself accountable for some of the many horrible behaviors he lampoons in his writing. Then he goes off the deep end by writing a non fiction book titled "white", which would imply an attempt at directing satire at things like white privilege and how it leads to emotional fragility and the luxury of political apathy. But instead of presenting it as clever satire by, say, finding humor in playing devils advocate for such behaviors, he reveals himself in an interview to be the exact thing he sets out to make fun of. I know, some will try to try to say, "but wait, is it possible he's just owning a persona for the purposes of creating a hilarious and provocative interview that embodies the themes of his nove...erm, memoirs in microcosm?" Are you fucking serious? That's just not possible. Real truth to power humor is about loudly proclaiming your righteous political stance, not playing around with a reader's subjective reality tunnels for the purpose of provoking laughter for those in the know, anger for those who are the target of the joke and thought/reflection for those confused by it. I know I haven't met the guy or learned much about his personal life beyond what he presents to the public or whatever, but its clear from that interview alone that he's a fucking terrible, irrelevant person who's incapable of being an effective absurdist anymore. Fuck him.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Does irony chelation involve closing out one's twitter account and going off to frolic be stern in the woods as in the style of Thoreau?

Nov 2, 2017
It's a masterpiece. The "interminable, vacuous descriptions of meaningless shit" are intentional. They illustrate the shallow materialism that consumes Patrick Bateman's personality. In the novel, Bateman's idol is Donald Trump, which is fitting.

I don't understand why Bret Easton Ellis has embraced the culture he appeared to be critiquing with his novel.

From the Andrea Long Chu review posted a little further up, I got some info about this book that seems incredible.

At some point, one must ask if a man who sees 1984 all around him is really just stuck in the '80s. The comparison between American Psycho's serial-killer protagonist and its controversial author is easily made. Patrick Bateman and Bret Easton Ellis are both rich. They both attend a lot of dinners. They both admire Donald Trump. Ellis himself makes the comparison at the end of White, recalling how he poured all his frustration—"what seemed expected of me and other male members of Gen X, including millions of dollars, six-pack abs, and a cold amorality"—directly into Bateman, "a fictional figure who was my own worst version of myself, the nightmarish me, someone I loathed but also considered, in his helpless floundering, sympathetic as often as not." To Ellis, who describes himself as an "outsider" and a "freak" since childhood, Bateman's social criticism sounded "almost entirely correct."

BEE's analysis of American Psycho is absurd. The text of American Psycho has none of this.

You know that thing with white male anti-heroes where everyone interprets these awful and vile people as heroes despite everything about the work telling you that's not the case? Bret Easton Ellis has bought into that for a novel he wrote. He is literally getting played by his own creation.

EDIT: One more thing about that review. For as scathingly as it ends, the author remarked on twitter that the original ending was basically so brutal it had to be removed. Given what the rest of that article is, I would absolutely love to see the one that was cut.

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What the fuck happened to BEE? He used to be a satirist who sometimes injected himself into his work as a way of showing he's willing to hold himself accountable for some of the many horrible behaviors he lampoons in his writing. Then he goes off the deep end by writing a non fiction book titled "white", which would imply an attempt at directing satire at things like white privilege and how it leads to emotional fragility and the luxury of political apathy. But instead of presenting it as clever satire by, say, finding humor in playing devils advocate for such behaviors, he reveals himself in an interview to be the exact thing he sets out to make fun of. I know, some will try to try to say, "but wait, is it possible he's just owning a persona for the purposes of creating a hilarious and provocative interview that embodies the themes of his nove...erm, memoirs in microcosm?" Are you fucking serious? That's just not possible. Real truth to power humor is about loudly proclaiming your righteous political stance, not playing around with a reader's subjective reality tunnels for the purpose of provoking laughter for those in the know, anger for those who are the target of the joke and thought/reflection for those confused by it. I know I haven't met the guy or learned much about his personal life beyond what he presents to the public or whatever, but its clear from that interview alone that he's a fucking terrible, irrelevant person who's incapable of being an effective absurdist anymore. Fuck him.
At his best, he had a Didion-like unflinching journalistic eye and detachment that gave his morality tales a real sense of truth. The problem is his narcissism prevents him from delivering anything with more depth than essentially wagging his finger while standing on the precipice of complete nihilism. It ruined Glamorama, and prevented Lunar Park from being something truly revelatory. His current brand of social commentary, since his Post-Empire period, is such a obvious plea to be awarded the title of iconoclast that I'm not sure why he's even granted interviews anymore. Like, who gives a shit?

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's been quoted before but I had to quote this part near the end again....utter brilliance:

"BEE: I think I am an absurdist. I think politics are ridiculous.

Interviewer: Maybe don't write a book about it. Would that be the solution?

BEE: I think the problem is that I don't necessarily see this as interesting as fiction.

Interviewer: Yeah, I could tell."

Oh my god.

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
Ellis has been steadily in decline ever since his screenwriting ambitions resulted in one turd of a film after another, and it's obvious reading this interview that he has talked himself into a corner in his determination to avoid taking any sort of genuine, impassioned stance. If he was so weary of how high pitched political discourse has become in this country, he'd do the rest of us a service by keeping his mouth shut, but it's clear that he's rather just annoyed at being inconvenienced with other people's experiences with marginalization, persecution, oppression, and bigotry — the fucking nerve of these separated families and abused minorities and those advocating on their behalf!

His boyfriend is also embarrassingly centrist-Democrat too. Can't criticize precious Joe Biden being too intimate in his interactions with other people clearly uncomfortable being fondled, smooched, and sniffed, that's just #MeToo going TOO FAR! But everyone he knows finds sexual harassment and assault abhorrent. Don't forget, Bret Easton Ellis doesn't care what anyone thinks, which is why he wrote a whole series of essays emphatically saying so over and over while complaining about how shrill liberals and progressives are.

What a hack.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca

At this point, are we sure it was a satire and not a love letter?

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
i knew there was something off about Ellis when i discovered his twitter a few years ago. disappointing, as at the time i'd just finished American Psycho for the first time and considered it a very solid book. reading this interview is making me wonder whether some of that shit was even meant satirical in the first place.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
Fun little fact for y'all because this stood out to me: In the interview, he's quoted 10 (11 if you count a quote from a previous interview) times saying "I don't know".

I've always found people who use "I don't know" as a deflection to be incredibly insightful.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a link? Or the name of the short story collection?
I tried google but I cant find it, only Bret's response.
Yeah i'd like this as well. Been looking for it but can't find it.

I'm not who you quoted, but the title story from Girl with Curious Hair is a parody of BEE's affectless style. There's also an interview DFW did (I think it's the Charlie Rose one, which should be on YouTube) where he criticises the cynical, minimalist writing of the late-80s/early-90s and uses American Psycho as an example. He basically calls it a nasty book, with no positive message.

Tbh nothing he said about BEE was that inflammatory--it's basically just tied to his own philosophy of writing, and given how BEE was a minimalist while DFW's magnum opus is 1000+ pages it shouldn't be a surprise they don't see eye-to-eye artistically. Those few, minor comments really hurt BEE though, to the point where he doesn't miss an opportunity to rant about DFW decades later. It all seems tied to his own anxiety of literary success and the fact his own literary celebrity was so brief in contrast to DFW's. Which isn't to suggest that DFW is beyond criticism (his behaviour was often reprehensible and needs calling out), just that BEE seems to be constantly lashing out from a place of professional jealousy.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In an interview with the T.L.S., you said that progressive movements become "as authoritarian as what they're protesting," and that "it's happened to a degree with the #MeToo movement. The idea of sexual assault and violence against women is reprehensible. I don't know anyone who doesn't accept that." Can—
Agreed. Agreed.

Well, you said it—of course you agree.

lmaooo

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking for this earlier but it took me a while to find it, because as I say I will not tire of this dude getting clowned on:
https://www.bookforum.com/inprint/0...M-3oV5Ky0jy30NB8Yl6Y7z36rFHCnrMyi-L59cSj0lPtc

This piece is a ton of fun, and my favorite bit has to be:

Ellis has dinner at the Polo Lounge in Beverly Hills; he has dinner at a West Hollywood restaurant. In fact, in the span of seventeen pages, Ellis describes attending no fewer than eight dinners with friends of his, including a well-known writer, a commercial director, and a liberal Jewish woman in her fifties with a penthouse overlooking Central Park and a net worth of more than ten million dollars. At a restaurant on Beverly Boulevard, this woman explodes "into a spastic rage" and accuses Ellis of "white male privilege" when he casually suggests that Black Lives Matter has a PR problem. "We finally calmed her down," he reports, "but our dinner had already been ruined." Dinner, it seems, is the greatest casualty of liberal fascism. "Who you supported politically would determine if you were invited (or not) to a party or a dinner table," Ellis complains. (He really feels for White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who was asked to leave a restaurant in Virginia last summer.) Yet it seems never to occur to Ellis, a man who is surely 70 percent dinner, that his friends are annoying the shit out of him not because they hold left-wing political views, but because, like him, they are rich, and rich people are universally horrible.

"a man who is surely 70 percent dinner" is an absolutely lovely turn of phrase.

What the fuck happened to BEE?

Nothing happened to him. He's always been this, it's just that what he is was, until recently, so fucking ridiculous to normal thinking people that he was assumed to be writing satire. The slow dawning horror of the modern lit world as they realized American Psycho wasn't intended as a satire of Reagan's America but was pretty much just what Ellis thought about life was very entertaining at the time it was happening. Now not so much.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Is there an audio recording? I'm finding it hard to believe that the exchange was this snappy and "witty".

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fantastic, what a dingdong. btw the same interviewer had a pretty brutal one with Donna Brazille RE her taking a job at Fox a couple weeks back:

I just want to return to this: you have, over your career, talked a lot about bigotry. Are you concerned about the amount of bigotry and racism in our society, and do you have any concern about the network you are working for propagating those things on a nightly and daily basis?

I have a concern about society in general.

O.K., and?

And I hope whenever I see it, I am going to call it out.

You will be seeing it a lot now, so that will be good.

I hope you understand that you are having a conversation with me because I chose to call you back. I chose to get your digits, and I chose to call you. I understood that when I made this decision to call you that you probably wanted to get up in my crap about going on Fox. I made my position known. I wrote a column and I put out a statement. I knew people were going to call and say, "Don't you know the house might stink up?" "Yeah, but is that the only house that is stinky?"
https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/donna-brazile-explains-why-she-is-working-for-fox-news

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao

My best Bret Easton Ellis fact is that he once forgot to hit the record button when interviewing someone for an article...and now he has a rider in all of his freelance contracts requiring that someone else be hired to come and hit "record."

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
What a cowardly, ignorant idiot. At least the film version of American Psycho wasn't directed by him.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering Ellis has been pretty transparent with his own racism and shortcomings it's not much of a takedown. He's a an indulging, drunk junkie that like tight bodies and his own words.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
American Psycho is genuinely fantastic and still works as a teardown of obsessed, narcissistic, materialistic masculinity being unable to confront itself so it turns outward in a bid to destroy what it sees as its rightful possessions, namely women.

I would never have believed for a second the same person who wrote it gave that interview. Jesus, what a downfall.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
fantastic, what a dingdong. btw the same interviewer had a pretty brutal one with Donna Brazille RE her taking a job at Fox a couple weeks back:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/donna-brazile-explains-why-she-is-working-for-fox-news
She talks like Trump, constantly self aggrandizing. People like this think they're unfathomably brilliant, but when they talk they don't sound intelligent at all and everything they say is just hapless babbling to try and make themselves sound as awesome as they think they are.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
And to think I was a fan of his work in my teenage years. That was before I realized he was just as shitty as the characters he portrays.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for sharing. There was some masterful journalism at work here. It is interesting to see how these self proclaimed "centrist" pretend to be neutral, but show that they are indeed being political. Ignoring to answer or give answers to things they are reacting to. Sure maybe he is "just" horrible idiot, but I feel like there is also something sinister at play where you pretend to not care so you can have this "moral" high ground for being "sensitive".

It is okay to give predators and bad people the benefit of doubt, but not their victims! It is sad that we people think that the personal experiences we have, are universal for everyone. It is quite hurtful for us white men to attempt to empathize with others or accept any wrong doings. Our poor consciousness!

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Fun little fact for y'all because this stood out to me: In the interview, he's quoted 10 (11 if you count a quote from a previous interview) times saying "I don't know".

I've always found people who use "I don't know" as a deflection to be incredibly insightful.
It's like he literally isn't listening to himself. He acts like his views are new and insightful but he doesn't know shit in the end by his own fucking admission. He feels he's fit to admonish people's actual empathy and effort to change our culture simply because he's never been told, or rather never internalized it when he was, that his weak, uninformed opinions don't fucking matter.

I wish I knew who any of these people were :/
You've never seen American Psycho? At the very least I'd expect most people to be at least tangentially familiar with Ellis from that movie.