• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great list by the new yorker.
The New Yorker lacks the intelligence required to appreciate Strand type games.
To be fair only non americans can understand its rich complexity. Its why you see so many American outlets awarding CoD for every category. They only understand shooters

/s

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the list - and everyone who names The Last Guardian as one of the best of 2016 is OK in my book <3

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Great list by the new yorker.

To be fair only non americans can understand its rich complexity. Its why you see so many American outlets awarding CoD for every category. They only understand shooters

/s
It's true Americans only understand rootin' tootin' cowboy shootin'

May 5, 2018
Good list. Happy to see Untitled Goose Game there and Extra Happy to see A Short Hike in the top 11! I just got started with A Short Hike and I'm freaking enamored with how pleasant it is. Also nice to see Baba is You and SHW in the honorable mentions.

But also this is the antithesis of that Gaming Bolt top 25 of 2019 as every game there was a AAA/AA game while every game here is indie save for RE2, Sekiro and and Control (HM). Although I take umbridge with them not including Later Alligator, a game that takes place in their own city Alligator New York City!

They probably didn't play that game. I'm joking around.

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm good with any list that includes Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
This is such a solid list, glad to see Outer Wilds up there.

This might be one of the best year for indie & niche games, especially when it comes to awards.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Missing all the ones I would have picked. Can't say I'm surprised given how these lists usually are but as usual, totally meh on this one.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I thought The New Yorker was supposed to be intellectual. Apparently not enough to understand DS.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Lol at "Such a New Yorker list" as though the games listed aren't some of the most creative, varied, thematically interesting, mechanically rich, genuinely satisfying games released this year, period. It's not a surprise that the two AAA games that are listed are largely ticking the above as well. You shouldn't be expected to only list the biggest budget AAA games of the year to avoid being labelled a hipster, jesus.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Damn, well it's well known that the new yorker is full of americans who only like shooters which explains a glaring omission

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Death Stranding living in people's heads rent free. Talking about it if it is or isn't on a list.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope you enjoyed it! A Short Hike is one of my favorite experiences this year, it's a delight.
Yeah, I really dug it. Probably the most charming and delightful to play of the titles I've checked out this year.

Patrick brought it up as he had some rare alone-time to kill over the weekend and wanted to try a few short games before wrapping up his personal GOTY writing.

They went on to gush over the game for like 15-20 min. Talking about how distilled the game is, just running at 2-3 hours but passing out player tools that other titles would spend a dozen hours to do in kind. They also mentioned how the game focuses on encouraging the gamer to just live in the space. To simply be there without pressing quest logs or map icons to check off. Apparently, the ending is super, super affecting as well.

Guess I'll find out for myself tonight when I fire it up!

Just listened to the pod, yeah pretty happy to see it get the positive attention on there. I think the game definitely deserves the spotlight, it's one of the games I don't see enough on the end of year lists. Hope ya dig it too.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone saying this is a very New Yorker list necessarily mean that as a pejorative.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't even heard of 6 of those games.
thats-not-something-to2kft.png

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not saying that they're bad, just surprised that I haven't heard of some of the best games of the year.
My morbid curiosity demands this: which ones?
  • Telling Lies
  • Heaven's Vault
  • Manifold Garden
  • Sunless Skies
  • A Short Hike
  • Card of Darkness
Edit: I do actually recall seeing A Short Hike before. The others, nope. Manifold Garden looks like it's right up my alley though.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that they're bad, just surprised that I haven't heard of some of the best games of the year.

Well at least you have a good attitude about it. Way more refreshing than "(insert AAA title) isn't mentioned. Invalid list!"

That's the beauty of GOTY season. So many titles worthy of attention surface. It's a great discovery tool.

I mean none of us have time to play everything out there. Lists like these are a great way to earmark stuff that deserves attention but we may not be aware of.

Pro-tip: If you're console only, Sunless Skies will be landing in 2020. Don't miss it!

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Awful list.. no Death Stranding.. Outer Worlds.. Devil May Cry 5.

Missing DMC 5 is the worst offense on this list.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Simon Parkin once quoted me in a New Yorker (.com) article, thereby fulfilling all of my nerd dreams, ergo the list is perfect and his taste unimpeachable.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

the list:
  • Disco Elysium
  • Outer Wilds
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Telling Lies
  • Heaven's Vault
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Manifold Garden
  • Sunless Skies
  • A Short Hike
  • Card of Darkness
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

honorable mentions:
  • Ape Out
  • Baba Is You
  • Control
  • Horace
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts
  • Wilmot's Warehouse

It's a safe list but hardly a bad one! I like their choices a lot!