• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Finally they interview someone important.

The interview discusses Mario's anniversary, Super Nintendo World, violence in video games, Walt Disney, Sega, among many other topics. It's a quick read so I recommend it, but I will go ahead and snip out some parts for you.

What's inside Nintendo's HQ
When you get past the reception area, does the environment help inspire the kind of creativity for which Nintendo is known?

Well, like I say, the building is simple. The staff can bring in any toys or action figures they like, but we have a system whereby designers switch desks according to whatever project they're working on. Because there are no fixed placements, people don't have that many personal belongings around them. I think, if a child were to visit and look at the space, it might seem a bit boring? The unique creative work takes place within each person. It doesn't require a unique-looking environment. Obviously, we have all the equipment to do our work: motion-capture studios, sound studios. And we have a well-lit cafeteria, too, with good food.

On his kids liking Sega games
Which Sega games did they enjoy?

They liked the driving games. Out Run. They also played a lot of Space Harrier.

Now, the other day, I had the chance to play with my grandchild. He was playing a Nintendo game called Captain Toad, and his eyes were shining; he was really into the experience. So I could see how a parent might be concerned about how immersed their child can become in a game. But, in my game design, I always want to encourage a relationship between a parent and child that is fundamentally nurturing. I was helping my grandchild navigate the 3-D world inside the game, and I could see the 3-D structure being built inside this five-year-old's head. I thought, This could help his growth as well.

Violence in video games
There's a story about you that's been widely shared recently. It's about the Nintendo 64 game Goldeneye, which was based on the James Bond film. The game's director, Martin Hollis, told me that, when you first tested the game, you expressed sadness at the number of people Bond shoots down, and suggested to him that, during the end credits, he make the player visit each victim in their hospital bed. It's a sweet story that says something about who you are, and what you believe games should be. How do you feel about the fact that the medium has come to be dominated by guns and shooting?

I think humans are wired to experience joy when we throw a ball and hit a target, for example. That's human nature. But, when it comes to video games, I have some resistance to focussing on this single source of pleasure. As human beings, we have many ways to experience fun. Ideally, game designers would explore those other ways. I don't think it's necessarily bad that there are studios that really home in on that simple mechanic, but it's not ideal to have everybody doing it just because that kind of game sells well. It would be great if developers found new ways to elicit joy in their players.

Beyond that, I also resist the idea that it's O.K. to simply kill all monsters. Even monsters have a motive, and a reason for why they are the way they are. This is something I have thought about a lot. Say you have a scene in which a battleship sinks. When you look at it from the outside, it might be a symbol of victory in battle. But a filmmaker or writer might shift perspective to the people on the ship, to enable the viewer to see, close up, the human impact of the action. It would be great if video-game makers took more steps to shift the perspective, instead of always viewing a scene from the most obvious angle.

On passing down the spirit of Nintendo
Nintendo existed long before you or I were born and will, I'm sure, exist long after both you and I are gone. What quality do you think Nintendo needs to protect in order to keep being Nintendo?

As the company has gained new competitors over the years, it's given us an opportunity to think deeply about what makes Nintendo Nintendo. [President] Shuntaro Furukawa is currently in his forties, and [general manager] Shinya Takahashi is in his fifties; we are moving toward a position that will insure the spirit of Nintendo is passed down successfully. I am not concerned about that anymore. Now I'm focussing on the need to continue to find new experiences. This has always been what interested and excited me about the medium: not perfecting the old but discovering the new.

Much more at the link.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting, I'm going to read the whole thing.

Edit: Lots of interesting insights from one of the greatest minds in gaming. Excellent read.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I liked this, the general opposition to busywork, bloat or tired stuff.
I try to insure that nothing I make wastes the players' time by having them do things that aren't productive or creative. I might eliminate the kinds of scenes they've seen in every other game, or throw out clichés, or work to reduce loading times. I don't want to rob time from the player by introducing unnecessary rules and whatnot.
The interesting thing about interactive media is that it allows the players to engage with a problem, conjure a solution, try out that solution, and then experience the results. Then they can go back to the thinking stage and start to plan out their next move. This process of trial and error builds the interactive world in their minds. This is the true canvas on which we design—not the screen. That's something I always keep in mind when designing games.

May 19, 2020
miyamoto might demand a lot of the people working under him or may be set in his ways but there's a reason for that, he's a master at what he does and clearly understands games at a fundamental and personal level more than probably 90% of the people working in the industry.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Beyond that, I also resist the idea that it's O.K. to simply kill all monsters. Even monsters have a motive, and a reason for why they are the way they are.
I wonder if he's played Undertale and what he thinks of it if so

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of sad that Miyamoto isn't really involved in making games anymore, just oversees.
The part about what kind of 'boss' Miyamoto is, is interesting. He is aware he's picky, doesn't give enough praise and fastidious

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
shiggy, the legend. great interview! Makes me want to try out this damn theme park now haha

also, the way he talked about respecting ppls time and thoughtfulness really struck deep chords. still teaching us a lot all these years later.

May 19, 2020
I appreciate his understanding of player urgency. Trial and error isn't inherently a bad thing - obstacles to letting the player immediately try out multiple options are what build frustration.
most "obstacles" in AAA games are designed with one solution in mind, usually drawn out with stupid bullshit like uncharted wall climbing

It's kind of sad that Miyamoto isn't really involved in making games anymore, just oversees.
He's at the point in his career where there really aren't any more "worlds" for him to conquer in video games, as virtually every franchise he's had a major hand in is being taken care of with the utmost of respect and relevance. I think that's a big reason why he was so engaged with the Super Nintendo World project, since that was a whole new playground that combined his passions and talents together for something that very few in his profession have ever embarked on, and with the opportunity that Universal Studios provided, at a scale that none of them could ever have dreamed of. Seeing the Direct on Friday and just how excited he is to share the results with the rest of the world is the kind of enthusiasm that I love best about him as a creator.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Simon Parkin is very good. Love his stuff.

Also lol:

It's not the environment that makes me want to go so much as the fact that, over the weekend, I still spend a great deal of time thinking about games. By Monday, I'm usually excited to get back to work. To that end, I sometimes send e-mails over the weekend, which people don't appreciate.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I liked this, the general opposition to busywork, bloat or tired stuff.
This is a really good attitude to have towards game development. I just don't think him or Nintendo have fully embraced that in their games. There's still stuff in there (be content or game mechanics) that don't respect gamers time.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is a really good attitude to have towards game development. I just don't think him or Nintendo have fully embraced that in their games. There's still stuff in there (be content or game mechanics) that don't respect gamers time.
What Nintendo games?

My biggest beef here with Nintendo specifically was the Zelda's team endless tutoralizing, seen in both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Don't really see it with the Mario team.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That anecdote about Goldeneye with Bond visiting his enemies in the hospital in the credits was pretty cute and funny.

If only you could speak to the monsters...

The only game of his that I can think of like that I guess is Donkey Kong Jr.? Since it flips the perspective and made Mario the bad guy.

May 19, 2020
you're gonna have to cite some actual examples because mario doesn't do that at all

Yeah, weird to hear this from the guy behind Pikmin, lol.
To be fair, Pikmin has always had a real nature documentary feel to it in that it's pretty savage to both the player and the enemies. Those Pikmin deaths hurt with how brutal it can get within the confines of the rating, which is a very different feeling from your usual RTS where there's rarely any faces you can put on your units. It's always been one of Nintendo's darkest franchises as a result, even if it is outwardly as cute as a button.

May 19, 2020
One could say that Mario games are so easy and basically don't include any challenging content until later levels such that half the games are basically filler content.
actual mario games are not made for like kaizo mario platformer veterans that want a death march challenge from the beginning. are you new to nintendo games or something lol

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It'll absolutely never happen, but I bet Miyamoto could make an interesting Immersive Sim. The genre seems to mesh well with the ideas he has about experimentation, trial/error and problem solving.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
mario games are not made for like kaizo mario platformer veterans that want a death march challenge from the beginning. are you new to nintendo games or something lol

I'm not, but even Super Mario Brothers had more faith in players to overcome a challengethan most modern nintendo games which are deeply afraid to explore encounter set ups that are even slightly complex until their later stages.

That said, I don't dislike the variety of ideas that nintendo explores in mario games. It gives novelty still and novelty delights us and that's a very significant goal of nintendo. But the perspective on what Shigeru Miyamoto said here on what "bloat" is as a concept is more nuanced.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I lived 30 minutes from Kyoto when I worked in Japan and a buddy of mine tried to get as close as we could to the main HQ only for the old security guard to come out and stretch his hands out in an "X" shape telling us we couldn't get closer.

We waited there for an hour hoping to see Miyamoto or Aonuma but it must have been their day off or something.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought I'd say this, but really great interview by the New Yorker. Miyamoto is an international treasure. I didn't really know he was that deeply involved in the theme park design! This makes me even more excited to one day visit universal studios Osaka and check it out!

I remember that Netflix video game documentary painting him as a bit intense to work with when the Star Fox guys were talking about him, but I can only imagine how working with his level of genius and brilliance and excitement would seem intense and he's pushing to get his vision across.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Yeah, weird to hear this from the guy behind Pikmin, lol.
You can see a lot of the life in Pikmin engaging in its day to day activities.
The Bulborbs surrounded by a bunch of smaller ones are obviously a family
Beetles scurry about nabbing food and then running away
And some enemies are actively hunting you.

He talks about wanting to show the other perspective and I'd say Pikmin does that. It's not as blatant as a literal perspective shift but you can definitely see that a lot of the animals in the game are not inherently some force of evil, just animals doing animal stuff.

Damien

Jan 15, 2018
Miyamoto: "The interesting thing about interactive media is that it allows the players to engage with a problem, conjure a solution, try out that solution, and then experience the results. Then they can go back to the thinking stage and start to plan out their next move. This process of trial and error builds the interactive world in their minds. This is the true canvas on which we design—not the screen. That's something I always keep in mind when designing games."

I Think this is the best definition of video games and this explains Nintendo's excellence.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto: "The interesting thing about interactive media is that it allows the players to engage with a problem, conjure a solution, try out that solution, and then experience the results. Then they can go back to the thinking stage and start to plan out their next move. This process of trial and error builds the interactive world in their minds. This is the true canvas on which we design—not the screen. That's something I always keep in mind when designing games."

I Think this is the best definition of video games and this explains Nintendo's excellence.
yeah this just reaffirmed how far ahead of his time he still is, no one else has put it like this and it's brilliant

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
An extremely important, and brilliant mind in the industry. Always fascinating to learn more about his philosophies and design approaches to making video games.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
One could say that Mario games are so easy and basically don't include any challenging content until later levels such that half the games are basically filler content.

One could definitely say it. One would be monumentally, mind-bogglingly wrong, but, sure enough, their mouths would be capable of producing these sounds in that order.

The whole point of Nintendo games is fun, not challenge. I may have finished Dark Souls and Bloodborne multiple times, but pretty much any Mario game, regardless of how much of a non-challenge it may be to me, is still a delight to play from start to finish. If all you enjoy from games is challenge, then that's perfectly fine; but that's a property of you, not the game, much like "Weltall doesn't like soccer games" is a property of me, not soccer games.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
this parkin? hope it's in the next physical issue. new yorker video game stff has been great, bissel, the profile on scarlet, etc.