• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
The NYT's Stuart Thompson & Charlie Warzel are doing an incredible series of articles detailing exactly how accurate and invasive the data from our phones is. Through data given to the journalists by a whistleblower at a private data collection company, the New York Times was able to track individual's commutes, dalliances, and entire lives nationwide. Absolutely chilling stuff. I'll add in quotes when I get back from work, but in the mean time, check out the Google Maps Location Tracker to see how accurate this stuff is, just for yourself.

Twelve Million Phones, One Dataset, Zero Privacy

8 Things to Know About Our Investigation Into the Location Business

Smartphones Are Spies, Here's Who They Report To

Twelve Million Americans were Tracked Through Their Phones

How to Track President Trump

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
did someone already make a topic on this so there's no replies here? or no one really cares ha?

It's a long article and I'm on Part 3 right now, but the whole "You're not going to believe how you're being tracked!" seems a little silly to me. I think most people understand this but just assume they are boring enough or not important enough for this to ever really matter. But maybe that's just coming from someone on a tech-related forum and the general public really doesn't knwo what's going on

For what it's worth I turned off location services on my iPhone for everything but Camera, Google Maps, Apple Maps and Transit (bus app).

It also reminded me that I just switched to Verizon and I had to go into the Privacy section of the user account and turn off all the tracking they do.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
It's crazy to think about how accurate this stuff is but yeah, not really something that affects me all that much. Now, if I was someone important, this would be a lot more worrying.

Nov 23, 2017
I turned that stuff off after seeing notifications of "It'll take 11 minutes to get to destination" that I regularly visit on sundays.
Ad tracking is annoying enough. I don't need some company watching over me. The next thing you'll know is they'll start creating ads for those sitting on the shitter at work for too long.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wild that this thread died out. This is essentially detailing what Bruce Wayne was doing in the Dark Knight.