• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
What a surprise that corporate media is protecting those who will protect their interests.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between Donald Trump's unhinged "FAKE NEWS" rants, and more nuanced and pointed critique of any bullshit in the media.

Trump calls the media fake even when they are... being factually and objectively on point. Or having subjective opinions with credibility/evidence.

Sexual assault issues, or anything surrounding metoo, is still a widespread concern because often those at the top running companies are men and many men either have blindspots for systematic patriarchal ways/structures, or they relish in them.

Like how we're having a "debate" that inappropriate groping/touching/feeling can be somewhat brushed aside.

On a side note, can you imagine if Trump is the one who picks this up and uses it as ammo against the NYT?

Like, I know the man has his own accusers but I wouldn't put it past him to try and control the narrative of this situation, and see it as an opportunity to further disenfranchise folk.

OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
On a side note, can you imagine if Trump is the one who picks this up and uses it as ammo against the NYT?

Like, I know the man has his own accusers but I wouldn't put it past him to try and control the narrative of this situation, and see it as an opportunity to further disenfranchise folk.

Well, Fox News has already been on it https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ny...o-past-inappropriate-hugs-kisses-and-touching

Trump is being very coy on all of this, but it's probably cause his ratings are wobbly right now and he opens himself up to everyone saying he has a long list of sexual assault accusations against him. Nearer the time to vote I'm sure his campaign will hit it harder.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, I wouldn't bet against him trying to hide past his own allegations pushing this against Biden.

I'd say this would expose him back to the miles and miles of allegations Trump.has but apparently he can get last anything. It's frustrating.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Based on how the sentence read I'm assuming the campaign brought the potential for libel and NYT backed off. I don't think the sentence that was removed was materially important to the piece though. Everyone is aware that Biden has a touching issue, but I think it's also important to separate that from this particular allegation which is obviously sexual assault.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
The media is not our friend and never will be our friend. I thought that should've been obvious after the '16 election and every day thereafter. They utterly failed us and kept failing us to chase profits to the detriment of the citizens.

Rags like the NYT aren't beholden to tribe red or tribe blue, they're beholden to tribe money and tribe power.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to see NYT use the slightly uncommon but well-precedented tactic of openly admitting something as though it's not a big deal as a way of downplaying something that is a big deal.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Well, Fox News has already been on it https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ny...o-past-inappropriate-hugs-kisses-and-touching

Trump is being very coy on all of this, but it's probably cause his ratings are wobbly right now and he opens himself up to everyone saying he has a long list of sexual assault accusations against him. Nearer the time to vote I'm sure his campaign will hit it harder.
Someone real plot calling kettle black from Fox though unsurprising. They're not wrong with their complaints which makes this all the more sad.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

For sure, he's probably storing it up.

Oh, I wouldn't bet against him trying to hide past his own allegations pushing this against Biden.

I'd say this would expose him back to the miles and miles of allegations Trump.has but apparently he can get last anything. It's frustrating.

Yeah. I mean, the last election proved that his base doesn't particularly care - his goal will just be to shift the narrative that much further in the other direction.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
For sure, he's probably storing it up.

Yeah. I mean, the last election proved that his base doesn't particularly care - his goal will just be to shift the narrative that much further in the other direction.

I know, you would think Dems would learn their mistake of nominating someone that's had tons of scandal and sexual abuse allegations but apparently not. You're right that Trump's base doesn't care about allegations, just that he's hurting others. I would have hoped the Dems would actually care about this but more about defeating the Republicans in any way possible.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand why liberals would even support the NYT. It's like they've forgotten that this was the same paper that made a big deal about the Comey letter as well as cleared Trump of wrongdoing with regards to Russia in the eyes of the public during the 2016 election. And let's not even get to puff pieces about fucking Nazis.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The New York Times is legitimately bad. I know that sounds like an overreaction, but this is the paper that had multiple front-page stories about Hilary's emails and then blamed Russia on the 2016 election results. What was once the bastion of journalism is now an embarrassment.

Just think about how many stories have shady edits behind the scenes we don't know about. Anyone who trusts the NYT now is firmly in the "fool me twice" camp.

When I was a journalist, I would ask "What would happen if readers knew what we were doing?" when faced with a murky moral decision. That kind of thought processes helped steer me down ethical paths and it's a system that would serve the NYT well. But they don't care. Their subscriptions are up so who needs ethics?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how wretchedly conflict of interesty the NYT has shown itself to be, I have no reason to give that publication any benefit of the doubt, so actually in this case, I'm not able to seriously put the NYT safely in the category I'm about to provide, but I will say that in any news reporting where a party is accused of serious wrongdoing or fault - from a buggy software launch to a mass murder, it is proper journalistic form to engage with and cooperate with all the named parties - and that means providing their perspectives and responses.

This is of course pivoterd on the nature of the story - if a person is already being prosecuted, or facts aren't in question, there's no need to ask for a countervailing viewpoint.You can write a LOT of stories about murderers and rapists without seeking input from them.

While I would NEVER let a party decide on my phrasing of text - I may be forced to give them the right of reply for wording as part of any agreement for commentary or input - if they were obviously lying, I'd either present the opposing facts in the article to contrast those claims, request they restate their position or start again from scratch.

The question you ask yourself before going abouit that reporting is, "Does the public benefit from seeking these perspectives, and is the story going to be distorted by including those perspectives? And - can I include their claims and balance those against other facts to give my reader an adequate toolbox?"

The NYT here is OBLIGED to seek answers and input from all parties - and running final or core copy for input (not approval) is normal. If they had provided any of the basis for the phrasing in the first place, then this would align with normal reporting standards - or if the original phrasing were (binarily) incorrect or faulty, their feedback would be acknowledged.

If on the other hand, as they've demonstrated time and time again, they are willing to normalize horror in the pursuit of access then as usual, we may have been Habermanned.

Last edited:

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I don't even understand why liberals would even support the NYT. It's like they've forgotten that this was the same paper that made a big deal about the Comey letter as well as cleared Trump of wrongdoing with regards to Russia in the eyes of the public during the 2016 election. And let's not even get to puff pieces about fucking Nazis.
I know that I myself often don't let go simply because NYT is a major outlet and limited thinking makes me believe that being major means it's always more credible/people will only take something seriously if they report on it. The actual truth is there's more than a handful of actually progressive and principled (at least currently) news sources beyond NYT at a third of the size and reach that could use more promotion than NYT and report on the same stories without compromise. Hopefully more people will make the effort to utilize those outside sources and let NYT be crushed under their lust for faux "neutrality".

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The New York Times is legitimately bad. I know that sounds like an overreaction, but this is the paper that had multiple front-page stories about Hilary's emails and then blamed Russia on the 2016 election results. What was once the bastion of journalism is now an embarrassment.
If anything, that's an underreaction. The Times is trash living off a past legacy of journalistic integrity it no longer upholds.

OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I really shouldn't have gone into that thread; it's like I'm a masochist. Sadly it seems that even on Era most posters don't seem to care about this.

They're all going to endorse Biden, was always going to happen. As I said in that topic though, if Warren is holding off a bit longer due to this allegation this week I have more respect for her.

Bernie was probably the worst, literally days later.

Oct 26, 2017

This got some flak in their printed version as well.

Words matter people.

I know the above is the Washington Post, but again, words matter. Be careful.

It might seem like nitpicking, but folks have heightened concerns when its allegations around sexual assault.

Their Kavanaugh allegations response is getting some flak too, but I think most people, even if they were agitated waiting, can see some differences in reporting this case.

Their framing sucks ass.

Tara Reade wasn't part of the public like Swetnick. You know who was in the public forum? Biden. The accused. Just like Kavanaugh.

OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Their framing sucks ass.

Tara Reade wasn't part of the public like Swetnick. You know who was in the public forum? Biden. The accused. Just like Kavanaugh.

Sometimes you wonder is it purposeful framing, or is it unconscious bias that deeply held that even writers at the highest echelons forget themselves for a moment and think they are on Twitter with all the other background noise doing damage control/downplaying?

This has been hyped up to be "the biggest election in American history". For understandable reasons that is clearly getting to people, but everyone still needs to be vigilant.

That is the life of a journalist, balancing you, yourself, as the human with thoughts, beliefs, opinions and your own political allegiances with the role of reporting. Not everything is always sinister, it's just little things here and there at times, an extra word which casts doubt when not needed, etc.

Or the NYT just sitting down for an interview and going "the Biden campaign didn't like that" with the seeming lack of awareness how that might be taken/what questions it might pose.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when Trump says the NYT is "FAKE NEWS!" and they do this, it just empowers him

time to look ahead to 2024

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thanks for making this thread. There is a clear bias in the way this has been (or not been) reported. Absolutely shameless, along with that subhead.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So when Trump says the NYT is "FAKE NEWS!" and they do this, it just empowers him

time to look ahead to 2024

this is why it's so dangerous to put your head in the sand about these kinds of things, you leave open a vacuum for shithead tyrants to exploit legitimate problems with complete bullshit. we've seen it all over this forum where even the mildest criticism of the corporate media gets pushed back on with "oh so you're a fake news conspiracy nut???" and it's like, no, these problems were there before trump, they'll persist without him, and we're only harming ourselves, our institutions, and our country by pretending these problems are anything but.

OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Are there no reporters out there tweeting about how wrong this is?

Yeah there's a few, but they tend to be from outlets like Vox/Slate/Salon/The Intercept and others. If you're looking for some of the bigger guns, well, CNN doesn't even have ANY articles on this accusation as of yet 🤷‍♂️

And then there's the Fox news article I posted in this topic, but that's done under the guise of bad faith, even if it has good points in it.

Dec 22, 2017
Based on how the sentence read I'm assuming the campaign brought the potential for libel and NYT backed off. I don't think the sentence that was removed was materially important to the piece though. Everyone is aware that Biden has a touching issue, but I think it's also important to separate that from this particular allegation which is obviously sexual assault.

Probably. But let's all regurgitate rightwing talking points about fake news instead.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If Biden cared about his country he would drop out

Asking anyone to vote for someone for POTUS with rape allegations and a history of harassment is just sickening

OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Probably. But let's all regurgitate rightwing talking points about fake news instead.

Well, it certainly would be interesting to go to court and have it argued inappropriately touching women, when you're a powerful man, is not sexual assault

Sexual assault takes many forms including attacks such as rape or attempted rape, as well as any unwanted sexual contact or threats. Usually a sexual assault occurs when someone touches any part of another person's body in a sexual way, even through clothes, without that person's consent.

"Even through clothes"

Some women might say "lighter" forms of groping, touching or... sniffing hair, weren't sexual/assault to them, but if we're shooting for the libel claims here, that would be a heck of a precedent a court saying Biden's previous behaviour cannot be evidence for sexual assault.

The women didn't press charges or anything, but that doesn't change how the public might feel about it. Hence that sentence initially going viral as fuck because people felt it was contradictory to say "no evidence" and then listing the inappropriate touching/kissing.

Things are heightened because Biden is a powerful man, but hey, that's a massive part of what brought us metoo. Powerful men abusing their power dynamics and getting away with it.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That bit *was* terrible and made the NYT look shitty in the first place. Removing it and claiming they did so to appease the Biden campaign is even shittier for all sorts of reasons.

Trump probably isn't going to bother touching this unless people bring up the credible accusations levelled at him, cause if he brings it up, people are going to immediately point them out.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That bit *was* terrible and made the NYT look shitty in the first place. Removing it and claiming they did so to appease the Biden campaign is even shittier for all sorts of reasons.

Trump probably isn't going to bother touching this unless people bring up the credible accusations levelled at him, cause if he brings it up, people are going to immediately point them out.

the problem here is that trump's base won't give a shit and biden's will

we can't keep pretending they're going to be playing by the same rules, dems are much more likely to care about credible rape allegations than republicans. we've already seen that play out.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real- if this were a story against Trump this would have been printed without hesitation.

Disgusting behavior. We should demand better.

OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Let's be real- if this were a story against Trump this would have been printed without hesitation.

It was printed, they rolled it back hours after that sentence went viral online stating it was to fix how it "had some imprecise language". Then a day later come out and admit it was because the Biden campaign didn't approve of it.

It's bad enough they didn't actually tweet that was the reason, but instead just slip it into an interview done later.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
This motherfucker makes it really hard to vote for him, doesnt he

For this sexual assault allegation, his history wanting to gut Medicare, Medicaid, and social security, his complete disinterest in the complaints of young people, and his refusal to back universal healthcare, are my reasons for not wanting to vote for Biden. This particular case is gross. Meanwhile, the establishment, including Obama, are propping him up. It falls on good citizens to force him out.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Trump brought some of Bill Clinton's accusers to a debate

Oct 26, 2017
It was printed, they rolled it back hours after that sentence went viral online stating it was to fix how it "had some imprecise language". Then a day later come out and admit it was because the Biden campaign didn't approve of it.
I think they meant the original story about the accusation. The Post/NYT literally were forced to print the story due to Reade filing a police report.

OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I think they meant the original story about the accusation. The Post/NYT literally were forced to print the story due to Reade filing a police report.

The NYT does probably have one of the longer articles, so I guess they can be given a little bit of breathing space for taking some time. Although they were grilled on that.

If we're talking about not writing anything, CNN still aren't reporting https://edition.cnn.com/search?q=biden

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Or, if you go further back, the NYT aided Bush in getting public and political support for the Iraq War that killed hundreds of thousands of people.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

The story is still there, they took out a part. There's literally audio of Trump claiming he has sexually assaulted women, and has been sued for such behavior before. So yeah it wouldn't matter what was printed about him. I don't really understand what point folks are trying to make with Trump comparisons. Until now Biden had been known to be "touchy", but his accusers had said there had been no sexual harassment or assault. This particular accusation changes all of that, and therefore media would probably be wise to side step linking the stories unless any of those previous accusers change their story in light of Reade's accusation. It both puts the earlier accusers in the line of fire, and their stories either be construed to help or hurt Reade's case, when in reality they should have little bearing unless something changes.

ChestRockwell

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." – Martin Luther King Jr.

The silence is deafening.