• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
FIRE is one thing but a more frugal lifestyle without sacrificing quality of life is not hard to do. We live in such a consumerist society and consumption is such a large part of the economy that it's a big change in mindset for most.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Finding a job you enjoy that you don't have to feel out of your own control would help, alternatively.

I like what I do so I don't care about retiring early. I'd get antsy and want to do what I do now.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I'll post her monthly budget since it's pay walled. Rounding off since it's an image link and I'm lazy.

Total Spending: 2500
Mortgage: 900
401K: 4500
Groceries: 75
Restaurants: 50
Gas: 20
Electricity:20
Total Taxes: 3500

If anyone wants to do the math for her monthly income, you should be able based on this. Again, I"m lazy lol.

I wanna know how gas and electricity is only $20 a piece.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I can't read the article so not sure if I'm interpreting those numbers right. She has a total monthly spend of 2500 (including mortgage?) plus savings of 4500? So that's an income of 7000 per month after tax?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Seems reasonable, all I have to do is move back in with my parents and never spend a single dollar on anything for a couple decades. Also everything I put away has to grow at 5% a year no matter what.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I'll post her monthly budget since it's pay walled. Rounding off since it's an image link and I'm lazy.

If anyone wants to do the math for her monthly income, you should be able based on this. Again, I"m lazy lol.

The 401K number is off or they are including other things under 401K. My best friend has been doing something similar in case he decides he has enough of law. You don't need to be living so frugally if making 200-300K a year.

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna know how gas and electricity is only $20 a piece.
My electricity bill used to be around $30 a month living in a 500ish square feet loft apartment during the spring and fall, just open the windows and keep the AC off. I probably could have dropped it into the $20s if I wasn't a gamer and have my computer on for most of the day.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to retire early but I'm looking more at like 55-60, not 40. Still, I need to save more. My retirement savings are low because I've sunk a decent chunk into real estate for passive income. Living like that seems nightmarish to me

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
These types of threads are always littered with people getting defensive about their own spending habits. I use it to reflect on my own lifestyle. Am I getting value? What can I cut? Can I get the same thing for cheaper?

I've never defined myself by my work, so it's so foreign to me when people say they'd be bored without work. If you need work to get through your weeks, you need to find a hobby.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can retire tomorrow if you go live out in the woods, shit in a hole you dug with your bare hands, and kill rabbits with your teeth.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
These types of threads are always littered with people getting defensive about their own spending habits. I use it to reflect on my own lifestyle. Am I getting value? What can I cut? Can I get the same thing for cheaper?

I've never defined myself by my work, so it's so foreign to me when people say they'd be bored without work. If you need work to get through your weeks, you need to find a hobby.

Life is for living. I will never understand how people can happily give away 40+ years of their life.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The 401K number is off or they are including other things under 401K. My best friend has been doing something similar in case he decides he has enough of law. You don't need to be living so frugally if making 200-300K a year.

She had her employer classifier her as an independent contractor so she is able to contribute up to $55,000 a year as far as i can tell.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
75 dollars a month for groceries, what the fuck. Is she eating this shit every day --

patio.JPG

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
She had her employer classifier her as an independent contractor so she is able to contribute up to $55,000 a year as far as i can tell.

You don't need to be an independent contractor to contribute up to that limit. Anyone can do it as long as their 401K allows after-tax contributions.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've done this out of necessity because I was making $400 a month after rent and bills in grad school, so I'd spend $25-40 a week on food and whatever else I needed and just put away the rest.

You can't go out with friends to restaurants or bars, no dates, no activities, etc. I don't recommend it as it's a very sad life and I don't see any reason to retire at 40 and still live that shitty lifestyle..... Like I'm happy to work and advance my career all the way to 60 lol if I'm a top dog by then why not keep it going till I'm 70. Never understood why anyone would want to really retire at 40 unless they won the lottery.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
It'll really suck to be on a low gluten low carb diet, or have really picky tastebuds, if you're poor.

TBH if I eat the same meal more than 3x in a week, I will end up throwing up or eating nothing. If I lived 100 years ago I definitely wouldn't have survived.
We have a fairly simple meal plan so occasionally we eat the same supper twice in a week, which involves eating the leftovers for lunch the next day. My SO really struggles with that as well, she is picky and gets bored of the same flavours so we try to rotate more frequently.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Neat... we spend about as much as her as a family of 4 and at this rate we'll have saved up 2 million dollars by the time we're in our 200's.

Oct 25, 2017
Life is for living. I will never understand how people can happily give away 40+ years of their life.

Who is giving away 40 years of their life? The ocunter to this is that by time she can retire she's given up on her "best years" in order to pinch to retire. She may find herself in a spot where her health isn't as good or it's harder for her to find people to travel with etc. It's entirely plausible something sudden happens and suddenly she's in a spot where even having those retirement funds wont make up for lost time.

Dec 2, 2017

I guess it depends on your profession and how you want to live your life. I will happily give away 40+ years because it is something I love and it is not just a profession to me.

If it were any other profession I would probably look into early retirement as well.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Paywalled but I'll put some key excerpts.

This whole article is about the FIRE movement. FIRE stands for Financial Independent Retire Early. It's been pretty big of late on internet personal finance blogs. The biggest name in the movement is Mr. Money Mustache.

They espouse extreme frugality in the name of financial independence. It's a rather neat movement. Don't know if I could ever do it myself, though. They are super frugal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ne...virtually-nothing-1541217688?mod=hp_lead_pos5

Here's her monthly budget. I rounded it off.

Any FIRE adherents in ERA?

LOL I could do that too if I grossed 10 grand per month.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Paywalled but I'll put some key excerpts.

This whole article is about the FIRE movement. FIRE stands for Financial Independent Retire Early. It's been pretty big of late on internet personal finance blogs. The biggest name in the movement is Mr. Money Mustache.

They espouse extreme frugality in the name of financial independence. It's a rather neat movement. Don't know if I could ever do it myself, though. They are super frugal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ne...virtually-nothing-1541217688?mod=hp_lead_pos5

Here's her monthly budget. I rounded it off.

Any FIRE adherents in ERA?
Spending 20 dollars a month on gas seems utopian to me, if you live in the US.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
These types of plans sound plausible for those who are already making good money to begin with.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
These sorts of "articles" from the WSJ are rarely illuminating, almost always tone deaf and at their core are often nothing more than thinly veiled attempts to chastise and guilt trip the lower class because we cannot save money.

I had to look at the OP and it's the poster who is always asking and posting some dubious stuff.
OP, Why do you think the WSJ of all places would publish pieces like this? What is it's purpose?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
She can do this at 40 because she is a highly paid lawyer in Seattle, not because she's eating brown bananas and mooching netflix. Sounds like her budgeting min max is more a hobby than the source of her early retirement. Also a source of strategic superiority.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I practice a personalized version of this. Even though the "RE" in FIRE stands for "retire early", that isn't always the goal. Financial independence (FI) means I don't have to take shit from anyone. My manager pisses me off? I'll quit on the spot, bridges be damned. I can work, play, learn a skill, or do whatever I choose and I won't think about "opportunity cost" because the cost isn't being able to pay rent, the cost is not buying some luxury I don't need anyway.

Practicing FIRE doesn't mean that I'm depriving myself of fun. I go out to eat sparingly and I travel less than my peers, but I don't mooch off passwords, and I'm happy day-to-day as is. Of course, how much you take in factors into how this is possible. For some lines of work, FIRE would be very difficult, but that doesn't mean people can't follow some of the best practices. Things like learning to cook, buying the meats and veggies that are on sale, not upgrading your phone/tv/consoles as often, and keeping an eye out on internet deals go a long way, no matter your income level. I hope that the stories from late 30s lawyers and whatnot don't dissuade people from following good habits just because the end goal of $2M at 40 or whatever is not possible for them.

I've been part of the FIRE movement for 5-7 years now it is really strange to see how it has evolved.

It used to be built around reducing consumption because the things you buy tend not to make you really happy. You'd carefully consider whether what you're spending your money on is really improving your life, and more often than not realize it wasn't and end up with savings rates ~40-60% and be able to stop working in your early 40s.

At some point it shifted in to "don't spend anything and deny yourself things so you can stop working sooner"
Yeah, I've seen the same things. Going from living sensibly and frugally to applauding others when they show off being able to live off of beans for weeks. I've stopped passing through the communities and just have my eyes on my goal.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
She can do this at 40 because she is a highly paid lawyer in Seattle, not because she rating brown bananas and mooching netflix. Sounds like her budgeting min max is more a hobby than the source of her early retirement. Also a source of strategic superiority.
Exactly.... the take away the publisher wants to impart on the reader is one which builds up a resentment towards those poors who can't save and to further cultivate this perverse ideology of personal responsibility.

Next time an article about poverty pops up, they'll think "well maybe if they weren't eating fancy cans of tuna and watching Netflix, I wouldn't have to spend my tax dollars on those lazy bums."

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
When did MMM turn from a financial advice/lifehacks style forum to a full on packaged lifestyle choice/motivational system?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...e-8-things-about-the-fire-movement-2018-10-05

If you think there is even the slightest flaw with the ideas behind FIRE, you're probably just not understanding it correctly. Because the whole reason for doing any of this is to lead the happiest, most satisfying life you can possibly lead.

This sounds like an MLM pitch.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
She can do this at 40 because she is a highly paid lawyer in Seattle, not because she rating brown bananas and mooching netflix. Sounds like her budgeting min max is more a hobby than the source of her early retirement. Also a source of strategic superiority.

Yep. Props for the small home and awesome mortgage, but everything else sounds like small corner cutting that doesn't save that much for most people in the end. If you're grossing over 100,000 on one income per year and don't have dependents, it already sounds like you're playing your financial life on easy mode to an extent.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Some of those costs in the OP are either crazy low-balled, and/or (in combination with having a 200k+ per year job), she's scrimping like mad. Even for Seattle with its cool climate, that electricity bill seems mad low.

Which, to be fair, is kind of the point to the whole 'FIRE' mentality - spend less = saving more (both in terms of money now and money later, if you go by the assumption you'll keep those same thrifty habits) and thus having your money work for you....

But it's also not realistic for a helluva lot of people - a LOT of those 100k+ salaries also have a shitton of student loans - or at least, in the healthcare setting (which is one of the 'big' areas I can think of for top earners). And unless you're a top-tier surgeon, you're still going to need (at LEAST) a good 3 to 5 years to recoup that student loan debt if you don't wanna try your luck at the dwindling loan forgiveness program, and that's with dumping near everything into loans to pay them off ASAP while still trying to set aside something for the 401k.

I mean, sure, it's doable, but it requires you live like a poor college student for years after getting out of school, when your paycheck is 3-5k - And that's gonna be hard to do, lol.

Honestly, computer/tech people are gonna have the easiest time with this - get out with a basic 4 year degree, no grad school debt, and start working at 21-23 (instead of 25-28, or later for healthcare workers), and I can see some people saving enough to retire within ~15-20 years, instead of 30 or more - at least, if they manage to land anywhere even moderately successful, not to mention places like Amazon or Google.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every shitty financial blog or spokesman is someone with tons of money already made telling other people to stop living. This type of shit might be bigger than pyramid schemes now

Oct 28, 2017
As one of the greatest philosophers of our time, Lady Gaga, once said, "I must be myself, respect my youth." Go have your fun and live life but you don't have to buy brown goddamn bananas. Unless that's what you're into.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
When did MMM turn from a financial advice/lifehacks style forum to a full on packaged lifestyle choice/motivational system?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...e-8-things-about-the-fire-movement-2018-10-05

This sounds like an MLM pitch.
Huh? It's always been a lifestyle thing. How long have you been reading him? Sure, you can take what tips work for you. I do that. I'm not a FIRE adherent. But MMM is very gung ho about his lifestyle.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thank FUCK my wife and I have pensions + 401ks. Granted we'll be working into our 60s but thats fine by us.