• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
plenty of black Americans have "white ass names" because we were brutally stripped of our own names, history and culture during chattel enslavement

That's for sure true, but a lot more serious than I was aiming for. I was riffing off this"

98flgQg.jpeg

REW

Oct 27, 2017
Abubakar Salim would be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind Michael B. Jordan either. Give me that suit with the white cape posted earlier too. Looks awesome.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
It may be a challenge if there's different subtext to how he's grown up, and they have to write the film differently, but calling him a Elseworlds superman, or 'other superman', would sound a bit dismissive imo.
Well thats exactly how Miles Morales started out. Theyve already said in the past they want to do elseworlds story lines and they started with Joker, this will also likely be one. If it goes big and popular it'll turn into its own franchise.

Sep 28, 2018
I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to changing these characters. I don't see the need to make Superman black. How about....less Superman? How about these companies boosting the lesser-known characters and 'validating' them (I hate using that term) pushing that they're in the same cinematic universe or that they're of equal power (or more powerful) than your favorite superhero?

I'd rather WB put the effort and budget that they would put into a full-blown Snyder Superman movie into, say, an ICON movie. It's like there's this desire to make these mega IPs something else to please...who? Who is this for? SCREW those IPs. Let's make the mythologies of Blue Marvel or Spectrum or Miles Morales or Icon or Static or Blue Beetle or Shang Chi with the same budget and attention to detail and marketing muscle that we give the 'cherished' IPs, too?

I guess the idea of seeing Michael B. Jordan or Coates waste their energies on these IPs with all of the baggage and legalities and, frankly, fan-bullsh-- fanaticism, let's work on expanding the visual vocabulary instead of rewriting the dictionary.

I instantly thought of ICON, created by a black writer, when I read this news. WB/DC has a tendency to overly rely on Superman and Batman and ignore the vast library of characters at their disposal.

Who is this for, indeed. Some posters in here seem like they not just anticipate, but crave, the polarization that this project will bring, when it just isn't necessary, and at a time where Marvel is doing just fine elevating lesser-known characters and making them equal to or more popular than their brand characters.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Well thats exactly how Miles Morales started out. Theyve already said in the past they want to do elseworlds story lines and they started with Joker, this will also likely be one. If it goes big and popular it'll turn into its own franchise.
Some of these alternate-earth versions of superman that are suggested, don't have the popularity of Miles Morales.

I know potentially they could, but I would think about the cynical, hollywood production, it's convenient that they don't have to brave the response, of recasting the classic superman with a black actor.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I saw someone put out this theory: Maybe it's Jon. Maybe they're going to racebend Lois and have a biracial Elseworld take on Jon Kent where he's black and has to take over for his white father. Can't say if there's any weight to the idea but they're roughing Jon very hard as co-Superman over at DC right now.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Would this be a different origin story then or just the same?

I really liked how Miles Morales wasn't just a different coloured Spiderman in the same Spiderman story.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I instantly thought of ICON, created by a black writer, when I read this news. WB/DC has a tendency to overly rely on Superman and Batman and ignore the vast library of characters at their disposal.

Who is this for, indeed. Some posters in here seem like they not just anticipate, but crave, the polarization that this project will bring, when it just isn't necessary, and at a time where Marvel is doing just fine elevating lesser-known characters and making them equal to or more popular than their brand characters.

Sticking with Icon, there were rights issues for years with the Milestone characters, and that's only recently been sorted out. Michael B Jordan is supposed to be producing a Static movie, so hopefully that movie actually gets made and can be a springboard for Icon and Rocket and a larger Dakotaverse for movies.

Beyond that, you're 100% spot on. WB's historical reluctance to embrace anything that isn't Batman adjacent is extremely frustrating. Look at their announcements leading up to Fandome for the Flash, it had nothing to do with casting characters from Flash comics, but was about multiple Batmen being in it.

Hell, the Green Lantern Corps movie was announced in 2014 and outside of Geoff Johns doing a screenplay last year, there has been zero movement on it. The TV show on HBO Max will likely come and go before there's any progress on the movie.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I care more about them making a Superman that has the traditional personality and isn't all dark and broody and shit. Nothing wrong with a Black Superman just please don't be emoverse.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, just make sure my man's fade isn't some hot trash. So many white artists drawing Superman with some old ye ye ass haircut from the 90's.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not knowledgeable on this; will he be playing Clark Kent or someone else?
Some posters suggested Val-Zod or Calvin Ellis, supermen from alternate earths, but I don't know about that. Keeping it open for Henry Cavill to return as Clark Kent, the classic superman, I don't really like and think they should commit to the new actor.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see this, I dunno if Michael B. Jordan is it though. He was already Killmonger and Human Torch.

Go with an unknown

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if it'll be Clark Kent, Val-Zod, Cal, Johnathon Kent or a new character entirely. I'm kind of hoping, given the fact that they brought on Coates, that they'll go for something new and original as opposed to simply making Clark Kent black and calling it a day.

Either way, I'm really intrigued given the talent involved and just hope that it's good. Like, we need an objectively good Superman movie - it's been far, far too long.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Honestly I've always thought Idris Elba would make a much better Lex Luthor than Superman. I'd love MBJ but I'd bet good money if this happens they'll cast an unknown.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe with a race subplot a Superman movie will finally be interesting.

The whole story of Superman is that he's an immigrant trying to fit in, honestly if they lean into trying to fit in, thank god.

Getting tired of the power fantasy much punch things Superman that too often get's leaned into.

RedEye

Oct 25, 2017
its obviously Michael B Jordan but that dude is always playing slightly aggro in everything I've seen him in as of late. its hard for me to picture it.

I think Yahya Abdul Mateen (if they can let him do double duties at DC) or the dude from Raised By Wolves would be really cool.
holy shit yes to both of these guys

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know that I see MBJ as Superman. Winston Duke in Us felt closer to me to Clark.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
JJ:

- Casts a black male lead in Star Wars. Clearly wanted Finn to be a love interest, and a Jedi. Before Rian Johnson came in and walked that shit back.

- Produces first Black Superman movie.

What beast.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is all great news. Please give me a good fucking Superman film. I'm definitely in the camp that'd like to see Static Shock, Blue Beetle, Firestorm, ICON and more get their due, but that's just not what WB seems to be interested in doing when they still haven't nailed the "heavy hitters" yet.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
JJ:

- Casts a black male lead in Star Wars. Clearly wanted Finn to be a love interest, and a Jedi. Before Rian Johnson came in and walked that shit back.

- Produces first Black Superman movie.

What beast.
To be fair, in the force awakens they do this big scene near the end when Finn tries to fight Kylo Ren, gets beats up and then the lightsaber flies in Rey's arm, like JJ abrams was saying Finn was the decoy protagonist. So I think JJ shit on the character first. Also JJ was widely accused of white washing Khan in Star Trek, so I wouldn't praise him too much for representation.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is all great news. Please give me a good fucking Superman film. I'm definitely in the camp that'd like to see Static Shock, Blue Beetle, Firestorm, ICON and more get their due, but that's just not what WB seems to be interested in doing when they still haven't nailed the "heavy hitters" yet.

I dunno if you saw but a Blue Beetle movie was announced this week and is supposed to start production in the fall

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty obvious with the writer they have.

I guess this is going to come out of the Flash multiverse movie with hispanic supergirl and black superman.