• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Several reports popped up on Twitter about it and the developers themselves claimed to have implemented "blockchain DRM" when marketing the game. I guess the mistery as to why it was delisted from eShop so early was finally figured out.

twitter.com

JIMBO (Dizzy and Jack-O Player) on Twitter

“PSA FOR COOKING MAMA COOKSTAR”

twitter.com

DoesItPlay on Twitter

“@Wario64 The game has its own crypto currency and basically uses players to mine for it. It will be used to measure and pay out to shareholders. Basically this game is about as corporate and shitty as it comes ... bow to your corporate overlord”

The fact that the IP creators didn't even know about the game was a black flag for sure, here's the publishers talking about implementing blockchain DRM into the game (all the original marketing material was removed from the internet, so there's only the coverage by gaming sites available as a source):

cooking-mama-blockchain-cryptocurrency.jpg

gamerant.com

Cooking Mama is Connecting to the Blockchain

The Cooking Mama franchise is being rebooted and the next game of the series is coming to Nintendo Switch with integrated blockchain technology.

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
This is fake.

twitter.com

SimonTime on Twitter

“I keep seeing rumours about there being a cryptominer in Cooking Mama: Cookstar, and due to its inclusion, it was pulled from the eShop. After some RE work, I can safely say there is no cryptominer/blockchain stuff anywhere within Cooking Mama: Cookstar's code.”

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that first twitter link has some inaccuracies. the American Koch Bros has nothing to do with Koch Media which is German

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
If anything i congratulate the people who thought of this. Thats a genius business decision.

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
This is fake.

twitter.com

SimonTime on Twitter

“I keep seeing rumours about there being a cryptominer in Cooking Mama: Cookstar, and due to its inclusion, it was pulled from the eShop. After some RE work, I can safely say there is no cryptominer/blockchain stuff anywhere within Cooking Mama: Cookstar's code.”

Who's this? The whole marketing push for the game prior to release focused on blockchain technology being implemented to the game

Sep 14, 2019
I thought you needed a really powerful device to do that?

Not shitting on the Switch. I assumed a very powerful PC was needed.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, Office Create didn't even know about Cookstar?!? Is this like a Ms. Pac-Man situation?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This is fake.

twitter.com

SimonTime on Twitter

Well that was fast.

At least this person has some credibility to back up their claims.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Blockchain doesn't mean crypto mining. Seems like a baseless leap even if everything around the game is sus af

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What's the basis for the whole "Office Create doesn't know about Cooking Mama: Cookstar" thing?

Edit: The game opens with the Cooking Mama Limited Logo, followed by Office Create, followed by Planet Entertainment, followed by 1st Playable Productions.

Last edited:

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
If they game didn't get taken down for cryptomining what could the reason be? IP ownership issues? The game has the possibility of bricking The Switch?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh, the more you know *shooting star*

More importantly, a large number of less powerful machines will almost always be able to compute things faster than a single powerful one. The costs associated with cryptomining are hardware and power, and if both of them are supplied by other people...

(this is probably not what is actually happening in this instance, and it may not be possible or efficient specifically for cryptomining; I know very little about it and whether e.g. it's hard to paralelize, or if synchronicity is very important for its calculations).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.