• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
The MPAA has officially rated Blumhouse's new take a PG-13 for "violence, terror, thematic content involving sexual assault, language, sexual material and drinking." Both the 1974 original and the 2006 first remake were R-rated affairs.

I've only watched the 70s version with Margot Kidder and while it was R it wasnt very violent or scary. But it felt fresh because it took place before Halloween cemented the slasher formula a couple years later. It had actual characters with real lives and problems that were hugely relevant at the time. It mixed the bright and colorful Christmas season with the anticipation of more tragedy and murder.

By censoring themselves its removing tools from the toolbox to affect the audience. And by going pg13 it seems clear which audience they want to see this movie. Horror purists may want to temper expectations before watching.

I predict a upper 40s RT score.

"Oh, God. Christmas carolers! What do I do? Just stare at them? If there was something called the internet I'd post on Resetera, whatever those things are, and ask what to do."
cfd10fa0404c4f9702ace8wkxd.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What a bummer. :( Movie looks dumb and not really scary compared to the 70s original.

Not that the original was super scary, but I'm not feeling the trailers.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I personally don't see the issue. The original barely classifies as Rated R besides the dialogue. A movie's MPAA rating shouldn't be a decider for quality (even though I don't think it's going to be much more than slightly below average at best).

It'd be one thing if this new version was originally Rated R, and they cut it down to PG-13 but that doesn't seem to be the case. Seems like a non issue to me.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to care about a Blumhouse movie one way or the other until it's out and people have seen it. Their quality is all over the map. They're currently on my shitlist for filling hulu with an endless amount of garbage movies that I'm constantly having to scroll through.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A PG13 for releasing on Friday The 13th of December.

I can just feel someone thinking this in a room of directors.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I think it's a good move. Younger people don't even realize it's a remake. They don't care about it being R. Older people who are fans probably don't care about the remake.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wait...another Black Christmas? So now we have three movies, in the same franchise, called Black Christmas with the same plot?

And three Halloweens. One with a diffrent plot though.

Shame what happend to the last remake of this btw. This video explains how the studio "ruined" it.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
i feel like your reaction to the woman's tweet and having a username called donald draper is a little too on the nose
Maybe you should re-read my post. Literally all I said was basically recapping what the writer said and I didnt state my opinion on the matter one way or the other.

You feeling okay? Have a bad day or something?

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I'm more annoyed they're calling this movie Black Christmas than that it got an PG-13. It looks like it has nearly nothing in common with Black Christmas or even the remake to warrant being associated with them. Like, are we really all out of horror themed Christmas puns?

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Caught a panel with the director and she said it's more of a 'spiritual' remake than it is a direct one. It's very different, but she took how she interpreted the original and put her own spin on it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Maybe you should re-read my post. Literally all I said was basically recapping what the writer said and I didnt state my opinion on the matter one way or the other.

You feeling okay? Have a bad day or something?

i mean, you are clearly dismissing what the screenwriter said about young women and timely subject matter but if "recapping" is your way of trying to back pedal i will let you have it

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Caught a panel with the director and she said it's more of a 'spiritual' remake than it is a direct one. It's very different, but she took how she interpreted the original and put her own spin on it.
Hmmm. The trailer didnt do much for me, but I do love imogen poots. Wonder how it reviews. I'm a horror fantatic so chances are I'll be seeing it regardless.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
User Warned: Hostility
i mean, you are clearly dismissing what the screenwriter said about young women and timely subject matter but if "recapping" is your way of trying to back pedal i will let you have it
Sorry, I missed the word female. I also missed the word and in between kids and young teens in my sentence. But please, keep reading into posts things that literally aren't there.

Pat yourself on the back and rest easy champ. You made the world a better place today.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not arguing that at all, but do good kills have to = gory kills to fit the bill?
I'd say it would leave a grater impact. If a horror movie is bad, but the kills are creative, it becomes mediocre or forgettable. If you show the kill full on, it's more memorable and sometimes even funny. But that's just me. And maybe some other people.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I'd say it would leave a grater impact. If a horror movie is bad, but the kills are creative, it becomes mediocre or forgettable. If you show the kill full on, it's more memorable and sometimes even funny. But that's just me. And maybe some other people.
I'm not disagreeing at all, necessarily - was just picking your brain trying to have a discussion! I do love me some gory slasher kills for sure!

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, with horror it's all about execution. Texas Chainsaw doesn't show anything and it's one of the most memorable films in the genre. People got some real Mandella effect stuff coming out of that one, spinning up urban legend that the movie was super gory. But I see what you're saying, a bad movie is elevated by comedic violence sometimes.