• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
www.thedailybeast.com

A Trans Character Buys Menstrual Pads in Disney Kids’ Series ‘Baymax’

Conservative idiots are losing their minds over a scene in “Baymax” that includes a transmasculine character shopping in the tampon aisle. The rest of the internet is celebrating.

Baymax, a new series based on the beloved puffy robot from Big Hero 6 on Disney+ has included a couple of LGBTQ+ characters, a rare and refreshing effort to promote inclusivity in children's television. In one scene, for example, a person who appears to be a transmasculine character is seen shopping in a tampon aisle.

Naturally, bad-faith trolls are raging in response on social media. But a majority of viewers are thrilled to see some much-needed representation from the company, going so far as to dunk on the critics' predictable—and, wouldn't you know it, entirely misinformed—complaints.

The usual chuds that can be found on twitter are currently outraged about this, which comes with the usual concern trolling about the innocence of youth while simultaneously never batting an eye at stuff like this.
NLy0Rjf.gif

Scenes from the great episode in question

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
This whole series was super wholesome, and I wish it had been longer than 6 episodes.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
A goddamn show about Baymax has no business being as good as it is.

Have they announced further episodes yet?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"did you see DISNEY pushing their GAY AGENDA by showing GAY MEN asking each other out on DATES

HOW COME NOONE WILL ASK ME OUT ON A DATE"

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a bunch of snowflakes. I thought it was a wholesome kind of scene because truly, there are an overwhelming amount of products to chose from.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
Considering the state of things, I actually thought it was outrage about having the gall to even discuss women's menstrual cycles.

welp time to start watching Baymax

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
The chuds can eat shit and should fuck off forever. Somewhat unrelated but it's pretty funny how the trans guy is wearing a transgender flag shirt. Do those even exist? Who wears those? If it was a sticker on his jacket, then that would make sense but it's pretty funny to make his identity that much more obvious to the audience.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Was it like a few tweets and someone wrote an article and got it trending on twitter amplifying the scene for more outrage?

The reaction just props up these idiots and the MAGA blue checkmarks star copying for clout.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
The chuds can eat shit and should fuck off forever. Somewhat unrelated but it's pretty funny how the trans guy is wearing a transgender flag shirt. Do those even exist? Who wears those? If it was a sticker on his jacket, then that would make sense but it's pretty funny to make his identity that much more obvious to the audience.
i have a pansexual pin but its just a little flag

im thinking of getting a tattoo

but yeah a big ass shirt is a bit much

maybe if they made pan-color button ups

Oct 26, 2017
Hope this leads to Disney doubling down on teaching kids that menstruation is a normal, bodily function because some parents don't want to parent.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea what this show was about but this is pretty cute, haven't watched it yet but there are few scenes floating on twitter that are very wholesome.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

My girlfriend's spouse has one! But either way, I like it in the show as it leaves no room for interpretation.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
It's problematic to be honest.

Just when the Supreme Court takes a positive step forward, Disney then counters the crucial message to young women that their bodies are sinful, and that every month they fail to produce new Christian babies, concentrated demon blood will pour forth from their shame cave.

Last edited:

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
You're not allowed an abortion.
You're also not allowed to learn about human reproduction.

What's the end game with these geniuses?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
You're not allowed an abortion.
You're also not allowed to learn about human reproduction.

What's the end game with these geniuses?

Honestly I used to think the "they just want to pump out kids for the military industrial/proselytising industry' fears were overblown, but...

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
These are probably the same dudes that think women don't shit or fart.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
That second clip hits hard, and I don't even have a vagina. Take a gander at the QRTs and it's chock-full of women wishing they had that message during puberty.

Which brings me to my next point: one thing this little debacle's reminded me is how, contrary to the bad-faith bigoted conservatives screeching about "groomers", the necessity of not just sex ed but how it needs to discuss puberty across both sexes. Speaking personally, I didn't have any solid conception of what periods entailed outside of "girls bleed out their vagina once a month, which makes them irritable" up until a webcomic I read had, in what was a complete non-sequitur, explain the menstrual cycle through a drunken anthropomorphic cat. (Bear in mind I was 20 when I happened upon that. Yeah.)

Point is, stuff like this is vital because media depictions of periods are typically reduced to punchlines ("har har, she's mad because womanly time of the month!"), which in itself feeds into real-life taboos teaching young girls (and trans boys) that they're shameful or dirty just for experiencing menstruation. Whereas the pearl-clutching upholds those taboos, honest discussions as depicted by Baymax invite us to challenge them while embracing our changing bodies. If that bothers you, ask yourself this: why?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Hope this leads to Disney doubling down on teaching kids that menstruation is a normal, bodily function because some parents don't want to parent.

Gosh this reminds me of my dumbass in-laws. "School's shouldn't teach sex ed and leave it up to parents" - wife's grandmother who goes on to admit that she knew nothing about sex and babies until her older sister eloped with her husband.

It's problematic to be honest.

Just when the Supreme Court takes a positive step forward, Disney then counters the crucial message to young women that their bodies are sinful, and that every month they fail to produce new Christian babies, concentrated demon blood will pull forth from their shame cave.

Anyways, time to watch a new show. I wasn't aware this existed!

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The show really is a delight. It's only a shame it's so short. I really hope this publicity inspires them to do more.

The outage is so silly to me. Like, I get it, but if things were swapped it'd be like getting upset at a dad teaching his son to shave. Kinda sorta? I mean it SHOULDN'T be any different anyway is what I mean.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
The outage is so silly to me. Like, I get it, but if things were swapped it'd be like getting upset at a dad teaching his son to shave. Kinda sorta? I mean it SHOULDN'T be any different anyway is what I mean.
boys hitting puberty has been part of mainstream television storytelling since at least the 80's

there'd be sitcoms where that weeks episode would be about a boy hitting puberty

it'd be a simplified, boiled down version but its much more than you'd see over discussing girls hitting puberty

you'd most likely get the dad looking uncomfortable and say "ask your mom" and then the laugh track would play, cut to commercial

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
boys hitting puberty has been part of mainstream television storytelling since at least the 80's

there'd be sitcoms where that weeks episode would be about a boy hitting puberty

it'd be a simplified, boiled down version but its much more than you'd see over discussing girls hitting puberty

you'd most likely get the dad looking uncomfortable and say "ask your mom" and then the laugh track would play, cut to commercial

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Kids getting put in danger, dead parents/siblings: Chuds say nothing
Trans woman existing/gay people flirting/period talk: "Disney grooming kids!"

Assholes. Fuck em.

I did wish there was more episodes, 6 felt way short.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
This is really meaningful. Like... AFAB people are getting their periods and hitting puberty younger and younger and yet it's so tied with the concept of ~womanhood~ and then because society is told puberty is is a step into adulthood, adults look at these children like they are adults and leer at them in ways kids can't understand. It certainly happened to me.

That said, I await the day when these shows start tackling tampons. I had to explain to a 30 year old a few months ago that tampons cannot get lost inside because they cannot go past your cervix. This woman has spent nearly 17 years unable to swim or do heavy physical activity while on her period. Please start breaking down barriers on tampons, media, please.

/rant.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 3 year old was watching these this week and I was like "that nice to see!" And then went back to my life. How does anyone have the energy to be this mad at a cartoon?

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Disney should really market Baymax more this time around. He deserves to have Stitch levels of popularity.

RedLangley

Oct 21, 2020
Didn't know this show existed, looks lovely.

I'm glad this kind of topic is approached inclusively and with good sensibilities to teach kids in a time dominated by reactionary institutions, shitty parents and bigoted figures of authority.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021

Man, I'm lucky my mom was so supportive of me during this time. My dad completely stonewalled me and acted disgusted when I tried to open up to him about it, I learned my lesson quickly and didn't talk to him about it much. But man, that shit happened to me 10 years ago and I still remember it. I am glad this exists for the younger girls and trans men of this generation.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing people should be outraged about over this show is that it's only like 50min of actual show for the whole season.

When watching the period episode it surprised me because the only other media I've seen that dealt with periods in a way that wasn't just "Ask your mother" was King of the Hill, where Hank had to go buy pads for Connie because there was nobody else he could pass it off onto. It was nice to see it not treat a literal fact of life as some kind of unspoken alien ritual.

Also this is a great time to remind everyone who doesn't menstruate, keep some pads and tampons in your home, regardless of if you have an SO who needs them. Eventually someone will need one, whether it's a family member, friend, or some stranger.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
1) Fuck them

2) This scene is so fucking adorable I can't

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I vividly remember my my biology teacher telling us about a girl (not sure if it was his grandmother or what anymore) that had her mother die young in early-ish 20th century Germany. Apparently her father was so embarrassed or oblivious to talk to her about menstruation that, when she started bleeding from between her legs, she made ready to die and only when she made her round around the village to get people to take over her womanly chores of the household that some lady finally told her what was going on.

The story will always stick to me.

A chubby cuddly robot teaching girls about the subject is preferable to that, I'd say.