• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That finale certainly went places. I liked the season. Gives me hope that Whedon didnt seem to have a director/writer credit on the finale that future seasons have a shot.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super confusing at first, but it looks like the show could really go places.
Loved seeing Claudia Black.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Yeah that finale was incredible. I could do with a lot less of Joss' "barren woman" bullshit, but hopefully they take this show incredible places now that he's gone.

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017
That finale certainly went places. I liked the season. Gives me hope that Whedon didnt seem to have a director/writer credit on the finale that future seasons have a shot.

Idk, this episode felt very Whedon-esque, which is not to say that's a bad thing.

Shame he's a POS, because I'd like to see where his vision goes. Curious if they'll still use him as a consultant or abandon him completely (which would be well-deserved, of course).

Anyway, this felt a little like how he did it in the season and series finale of Dollhouse, thus my guess above.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Loved seeing Claudia Black.

Same here. I thought that was her when she popped up and the BTS interview they do confirmed it.

The finale certainly answered a few things, although I think they were a bit too cryptic in earlier episodes to set up the big reveal in this episode. I do hope the back half of the season is stronger in establishing the characters and overall direction, even if they plan to keep some mystery.

Like whatever the Galathian (sp) erased from her memory and who it was that traveled back in time with her.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this worked for me. A neat set-up/recontextualizing. The Galanthian was cute in a giant space squid/cow kind of way. I wonder how many loops it has already gone through beyond just the one. Amalia having a fellow traveller(s) and the two factions being already mirrored and playing out, they can do a lot with it. And then there was the fourth wall/dimensional-breaking lady kicking Amalia out of her fugue state.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Lavinia Bidlow is 10000% one of the other passengers. I don't think Lord Massen is, because he seems too clueless, but still staunchly against it makes sense. She seems like she knows way more than what she's letting on.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
That first half was just a solid string of rapid fire proper nouns no one had ever heard of or had context for. Oof. It's important to space that kind of stuff out so it's coherent. Rest of the episode was cool though.

Btw Claudia Black needs to play the main character in the Returnal movie

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Was the girl who spoke to Molly in the fugue state the same girl who speaks all languages except english?
Looked like it to me. Wonder what that's all about?

That was Myrtle (so yes to your question) and that was showing her saying the message of Mary's song (which Primrose and Harriet helped translate and read to Amalia). We also saw Massen and the Beggar King in the same projection.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck Joss Whedon. This show is Whedon as hell, but I still like it a lot. I can feel better now that he isn't involved directly. And it's always hard to hate the cast and crew that puts so much of themselves into any work. I know they haven't even quite begun filming Part 2, but I hope this show is given at least a few seasons to breathe.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Have they said who is taking Joss' place? I'm hoping for Jane Espensen.
They've been interviewing her for most of the behind the scenes stuff and she is one of the partners in Mutant Enemy Productions, which this show is a product of. It wouldn't surprise me.
I wonder if Myrtle is more important than we're being led to believe. Could she be a conduit for the Galanthi?
This wouldn't shock me. Her power is effectively a Rosetta Stone that's stuck on scramble.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Bizarrely (considering I live in a small UK village in the middle of nowhere) one of the minor characters in this is played by someone who lives a few streets down. Might have to give it a try for that alone.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Another key thing we learned from this episode is that the Galanthi dealt out specific powers. We learned from the one PDF soldier that they "enhance specific parts of the brain awakening or enhancing certain special skills or traits (or something to that effect I'm paraphrasing)." So Penance was inventive (in the opening sequence from E01 we see the well lever break, so she replaces it with a clothespin) and now she can see potential energy to build things; Horatio is a doctor and now has healing hands; Augustus has an interest and love for birds, and so now he can put his consciousness in them and control them; Mary was a singer, and then she got the song of the Galanthi; the one giant dude who worked for the Beggar King hates water, so now he can walk on it. Zephyr was specifically looking for certain abilities as signs when she woke up in Amalia's body (empaths for example), so that tells me that the Galanthi dealt out powers based on the time period. Which means that they're adaptive.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
They've been interviewing her for most of the behind the scenes stuff and she is one of the partners in Mutant Enemy Productions, which this show is a product of. It wouldn't surprise me.

This wouldn't shock me. Her power is effectively a Rosetta Stone that's stuck on scramble.
Myrtle is the solution to not being able to communicate as she would be able to translate and be used to continue the work they were trying to do in the future or it's past

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Myrtle is the solution to not being able to communicate as she would be able to translate and be used to continue the work they were trying to do in the future or it's past
Right, but Mary was the actual conduit. That's what her song was and why the Touched were the only ones who could hear it. Myrtle was the only one who could understand it because she can understand every language.

So now there is no conduit, and thus nothing for Myrtle to translate.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Right, but Mary was the actual conduit. That's what her song was and why the Touched were the only ones who could hear it. Myrtle was the only one who could understand it because she can understand every language.

So now there is no conduit, and thus nothing for Myrtle to translate.
Needed Mary to bring them all together and need Myrtle to translation what they just inherently felt. Also it giving people powers is what probably weakened it when it was probably barely healed enough to just leave

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Idk, this episode felt very Whedon-esque, which is not to say that's a bad thing.

Shame he's a POS, because I'd like to see where his vision goes. Curious if they'll still use him as a consultant or abandon him completely (which would be well-deserved, of course).

Anyway, this felt a little like how he did it in the season and series finale of Dollhouse, thus my guess above.
They probably have a show bible pot at least Jane and Drew would know. But new show runner could do whatever she wants

I like how Zephyr really hates his short she is. Since as people were shorter back in the olden times. There's no way they can convince me she's straight so they added that strip whatever game that surely will lead to a threesome at least

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Needed Mary to bring them all together and need Myrtle to translation what they just inherently felt. Also it giving people powers is what probably weakened it when it was probably barely healed enough to just leave
From what we learned in this episode the Galanthi disperse spores as their way of "improving" humanity and planets. We don't actually know how that one got in the ground. We don't even know if it's the same one from that first day, with Zephyr making the joke about it still being stuck in the ceiling. We also know that the Galanthi form strong empathic connections with everyone around them (hence why the Free Life killed the lab scientists as a means of torture). From what we know, Mary sang a song and that song was a message only the Touched could hear and Myrtle understood it. I think it's about as simple as that. It was using Mary to reach out, yes, but Mary was sending a specific message in that moment. Myrtle translated.

Another thing that's interesting is that, if the spores unlock abilities by tapping into specific parts of a person's brain to enhance traits, then why did it kill Massen's daughter?

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
From what we learned in this episode the Galanthi disperse spores as their way of "improving" humanity and planets. We don't actually know how that one got in the ground. We don't even know if it's the same one from that first day, with Zephyr making the joke about it still being stuck in the ceiling. We also know that the Galanthi form strong empathic connections with everyone around them (hence why the Free Life killed the lab scientists as a means of torture). From what we know, Mary sang a song and that song was a message only the Touched could hear and Myrtle understood it. I think it's about as simple as that. It was using Mary to reach out, yes, but Mary was sending a specific message in that moment. Myrtle translated.

Another thing that's interesting is that, if the spores unlock abilities by tapping into specific parts of a person's brain to enhance traits, then why did it kill Massen's daughter?
I don't think she's dead but Massen's hiding her.

Aliens as hope instead of pending doom. Causing humans to create the real doom. Massen's crew will become NewLife. Also Zephyr kinda implies this isn't her first end of the world situation or she just meant the fights that lead to the other G's deaths

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Massen is definitely hiding his daughter, probably because her turn changed her appearance. I'd guess she is in that cell where "the dogs" are.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think she's dead but Massen's hiding her.

Aliens as hope instead of pending doom. Causing humans to create the real doom. Massen's crew will become NewLife. Also Zephyr kinda implies this isn't her first end of the world situation or she just meant the fights that lead to the other G's deaths
The Galanthi are interplanetary, it would seem. I got the idea that the PDF were as well. They referred to the Galanthi as having big projects that improve whole planets. The idea of there having been multiple "loops" is an interesting one because I didn't get that at all. I just assumed Zephyr was referring to the fact that she has been fighting for a long time and Free Life has killed other Galanthi.
Massen is definitely hiding his daughter, probably because her turn changed her appearance. I'd guess she is in that cell where "the dogs" are.
Oh shit I'd forgotten about that

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This episode explained something I caught in an earlier episode that confused the fuck out of me.

When Pennance builds the speaker invention and True says "Why Penance did you just invent the Amplifier?" I was so confused. I was like, wait how does she know now what an amplifier is and why is she so casual in throwing that word out. I wrote it off as a weirdly written scene at the time.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched it yet but it must be a very small role as she has barely done any acting. It is massive news round here though. Even moved news of the latest sheep birth off the front page of the local newspaper. She plays Beth Cassini according to IMDb.
She had a pretty big scene at the start of episode 2. Has only been a background non speaking character for a few scenes after that though. I was actually surprised to see her in the finale last night.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I haven't watched it yet but it must be a very small role as she has barely done any acting. It is massive news round here though. Even moved news of the latest sheep birth off the front page of the local newspaper. She plays Beth Cassini according to IMDb.

Ah, that's cool. Among the big cast, she actually had a decent role for a smaller character.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
wow did not see that beginning. really enjoyed this episode which makes me love this series now.

all those visions for future episodes.

"do you think you're the only one who hitched a ride" - is going to be the big bad?

EDIT: didn't recognized Claudia Black I thought It was still Laura Donnelly with heavy make up

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The Galanthi are interplanetary, it would seem. I got the idea that the PDF were as well. They referred to the Galanthi as having big projects that improve whole planets. The idea of there having been multiple "loops" is an interesting one because I didn't get that at all. I just assumed Zephyr was referring to the fact that she has been fighting for a long time and Free Life has killed other Galanthi.

Oh shit I'd forgotten about that
it's weird how the PDF tries, has the Galanthi on their side and FreeLife still always wins to the point they killed the other 19 of them. and that Zephyr still tries to stop FreeLifer's
she has problems with knowing when is when yet doesn't consider herself a Spore also. like her temporal problems isn't from the Galanthi like the other people

is the show called The Nevers as these people with powers were never suppose to be part of history until this 20th Galanthi decided to try and change things in a different time

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
This episode explained something I caught in an earlier episode that confused the fuck out of me.

When Pennance builds the speaker invention and True says "Why Penance did you just invent the Amplifier?" I was so confused. I was like, wait how does she know now what an amplifier is and why is she so casual in throwing that word out. I wrote it off as a weirdly written scene at the time.
Oh shit. I did think that was a weird scene as well, but now that hits so much more.
it's weird how the PDF tries, has the Galanthi on their side and FreeLife still always wins to the point they killed the other 19 of them. and that Zephyr still tries to stop FreeLifer's
she has problems with knowing when is when yet doesn't consider herself a Spore also. like her temporal problems isn't from the Galanthi like the other people

is the show called The Nevers as these people with powers were never suppose to be part of history until this 20th Galanthi decided to try and change things in a different time
So let's suppose then, because we're going into high speculation territory, that multiple Galanthi = time loops. Then does that mean that no more Galanthi were coming through the sustained gate because there are none left and this is the last loop?

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

Perhaps it's best he is always removed but his style and writing values get carried on by more responsible people to carry the messages he claimed to care for.

I'm guessing this is worth watching, but watching anything Whedon these days always has me distracted thinking of how it's his own fantasies and struggles being manifested on screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Oh shit. I did think that was a weird scene as well, but now that hits so much more.

So let's suppose then, because we're going into high speculation territory, that multiple Galanthi = time loops. Then does that mean that no more Galanthi were coming through the sustained gate because there are none left and this is the last loop?
Hmm I'd say because hey went out their way to say the only reason the portal was stable because they were leaving rather than coming. Why would anything they do not be stable coming? Is their present actually in the past? Was it only stable because they were working with the humans to fix Earth's problem that can't be fixed their normal way with sporing a planet.

Maybe they don't even see loops to begin with but just change time into a alternative universe they follow along with as a linear fashion

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

They made a point of stating the sustained gate was only an outgoing portal, no one was ever meant to come through using it. Looked like it was designed as escape hatch for the 21st Galanthi to prep humanity at an earlier point in history and avoid altogether that dreadful timeline.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm I'd say because hey went out their way to say the only reason the portal was stable because they were leaving rather than coming. Why would anything they do not be stable coming? Is their present actually in the past? Was it only stable because they were working with the humans to fix Earth's problem that can't be fixed their normal way with sporing a planet.

Maybe they don't even see loops to begin with but just change time into a alternative universe they follow along with as a linear fashion
They made a point of stating the sustained gate was only an outgoing portal, no one was ever meant to come through using it. Looked like it was designed as escape hatch for the 21st Galanthi to prep humanity at an earlier point in history and avoid altogether that dreadful timeline.
Well shit I missed that part apparently somehow.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the first episode. Had no idea it was Joss going in and the credits at the end hit like some bricks. Surprisingly lush cinematography in the indoors and enjoying the X-Men in Victorian England premise.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Would also make you basically immortal as long as one of your crew could go back in time to prevent the deaths lol