• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
I'm going to have to watch this. Don't have HBO at the time, but I'll get to it down the line.

Having seen up through the latest episode I'd say the comparison is a bit looser than it was at first but still holds up, though the vibe is somewhat different - and, also, there's buckets of sex and violence thrown in that Claremont never could have gotten away with. That said, I'd still describe the series broadly as steampunk X-Men with the serial numbers filed off, so if that's appealing to you I think you'll dig the hell out of it.

I'll also agree with everyone else who noted that the big fight scene in Episode 3 was top notch. That was a great sequence and did an amazing job of capturing super powers on screen.

Also, love the avatar!

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Having seen up through the latest episode I'd say the comparison is a bit looser than it was at first but still holds up, though the vibe is somewhat different - and, also, there's buckets of sex and violence thrown in that Claremont never could have gotten away with. That said, I'd still describe the series broadly as steampunk X-Men with the serial numbers filed off, so if that's appealing to you I think you'll dig the hell out of it.

I'll also agree with everyone else who noted that the big fight scene in Episode 3 was top notch. That was a great sequence and did an amazing job of capturing super powers on screen.

Also, love the avatar!
out of all the shows it's a mush up of X-men stands on top, 1 character is a walking Eureka! show, and everything else is sprinkled about

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Also, love the avatar!

Claremont had a lot of weird kink that he was really subtle with, so I'd say that's on brand for a more modern take on the same material. I'll be watching this down the line.

And thanks! Your username is a bit odd, though. I get strangely uneasy when I read it, and it feels like there is something written in front of "Chan" that I can't quite make out.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Looks interesting, will watch anything Whedon.

This post surely aged gracefully hohohoh

original.jpg

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I guess it wasn't the Orphanage that was burning much worse.

So early on we got a death already

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
If I really liked His Dark Materials and Carnival Row, would I like this? Aesthetically it seems similar, I dunno.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
So, is Tru more like a
Booster Gold time traveler? or T-800? Or did she get "left behind" from the ship thing, is she actually an alien?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Show has definitely picked up. Like it better now than initial impressions.

Oct 27, 2017
So how involved is Whedon in the show? Did his involvement end after the pilot?

I'm surprised to see the mostly positive reaction to it, so I'm thinking of checking it out in the future, but I don't want to support a show if Whedon is actively involved.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I'm surprised to see the mostly positive reaction to it, so I'm thinking of checking it out in the future, but I don't want to support a show if Whedon is actively involved.

He was largely involved in the first six episodes. He was the executive producer/show runner.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

He's off the show now. Not sure if he still makes money off it. But all the people working hard on the show deserve support too.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I watched the first episode and fell asleep about 30 minutes in. I don't think I understood the plot.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first two episodes and loved it. Good cast, smart dialogue and snappy action. Very happy to discover this one thanks to this thread. Should hold me over until Loki drops.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
He's off the show now. Not sure if he still makes money off it. But all the people working hard on the show deserve support too.
It is still under "Mutant Enemy Productions" which is Whedon's company so I assume he is going to keep making money off of it. Plus any residuals as the show creator.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Its so difficult when a work gets tainted by someone like Whedon, because if you like it, you still want to support everyone involved. With hugely collaborative projects like movies and television shows, it can be worth supporting for the other writers, cast members, and crew if they've put together something good.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Its so difficult when a work gets tainted by someone like Whedon, because if you like it, you still want to support everyone involved. With hugely collaborative projects like movies and television shows, it can be worth supporting for the other writers, cast members, and crew if they've put together something good.
This has been my impression as well. There is enough other talent outside of Whedon that this show has to offer. I've really dug the cast, and I'm excited to see where they continue with the story now that he is out (assuming we'll get another season written by someone else).

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the sentiment. A lot of other decent hardworking folk contribute, and the main irritant is not part of it going forward... I guess everyone just has to do their own support calculus. Four episodes in, show is fairly compelling.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017

I feel you. My relief was on the rise as we went from episode to episode and his credit waned. By episode 4, I was like "whew".

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
True from another time and or universe
Gets put into the body of the original True. Freaks out and put in asylum. Meets Sarah something something something gets out/breaks out and leaves her there

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
So the giant blue alien sphere has a name now..

I would have picked True's side if I was at the orphanage.

Malady - quite the clever one.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I feel this story was heavily inspired by the Wild Card series of G.R.R Martin. The alien ship releasing something over a city that gives some people superpowers, the lone alien character trying to help those that are changed. That's basically the same premise. Sure the context and story are different in the end but... Dunno, the similarities are weirding me out.

I think there's a Wild Cards show in the works, wonder how it'll get received now.

But anyway, it's a nice little show to follow. So it's ok.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I don't remember, was the name "Galanthi" mentioned before? They just casually started talking about it in the latest episode. I assume has something to do with that underground light sphere.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Are my shipping goggles out of sync or did the Mrs. True/Doctor Cousens sex scene feel out of the blue? I mean, there's a lot of information that's just thrown at us this past episode so it's just par the course right now.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
I feel this story was heavily inspired by the Wild Card series of G.R.R Martin.

I strongly agree with you - the only thing about the series setup that didn't feel like it was being lifted from the X-Men was the way people got their powers, which felt lifted directly from Wild Cards. The more they deal with the blue glowing sphere the more I'm reminded of Dr. Tachyon's ship, so I'm curious to see where things go in the next episode.

Are my shipping goggles out of sync or did the Mrs. True/Doctor Cousens sex scene feel out of the blue? I mean, there's a lot of information that's just thrown at us this past episode so it's just par the course right now.

It felt kinda abrupt for sure. I think they'd been moving in that direction but things certainly escalated in a hurry. If I understand correctly the original plan was for a 10 episode season that was trimmed down to 6, so maybe it would have been more organic if things were drawn out a bit more.

Not entirely sure how I felt about Episode 5, especially Penance's intense moral drive to split the party the night before the big adventure. Equally uncertain about splitting the action between two episodes but I'm still looking forward to seeing how everything is resolved this week.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
They are doing a bunch of things that don't really make sense or fit the character, but that's the show so I can learn to live with it.

The twist ending of the last episode had me confused, so I had to read a review to clear it up.

The double that died as Malady was her insane follower that cut off her toes. I didn't remember the toe part so I couldn't figure out who would intentionally kill themselves for Malady. I wish they had reminded us because I was just so confused when the detective was doing his Chazz Palmiteri Usual Suspects scene.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
They are doing a bunch of things that don't really make sense or fit the character, but that's the show so I can learn to live with it.

The twist ending of the last episode had me confused, so I had to read a review to clear it up.

The double that died as Malady was her insane follower that cut off her toes. I didn't remember the toe part so I couldn't figure out who would intentionally kill themselves for Malady. I wish they had reminded us because I was just so confused when the detective was doing his Chazz Palmiteri Usual Suspects scene.
I mean. The I heard a rumor guy and her was always on scenes together. So he shows up she has to be accounted for. She was obsessed and wanted to be a turned so to get treated like one must have been great for her

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
episode was ok.

weird finale next episode already. the season didn't feel like it's ramping up to something. it felt like it just started

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, this is the end of Part 1. Part 2 is set to arrive sometime later this year. This Sunday is more like a mid season finale.

Yup, and in the featurette after last episode, they explaind that this episode was filmed 6 months after the previous one and that they had to change their plans for the hanging scene due to covid restrictions. So the need to have a break between episode 6 and the "real" season finale isn't that hard to understand. I doubt it's the only show to get shortened/modified because of the varus.