• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
hopefully we get sort of a reverse American Gods situation where the show finds its way after the showrunner exit.

i haven't watched yet -- does it seem like the show is using its setting to say something, or is it just snark and corsets?

What Keywork said. It sets up split factions of a sudden amount of people who happen be powerless in some way or another to be granted a unique power that has to do with what deficiency and what they choose to do with that newly found power good or ill. And then you have the political intrigue with the ruling class who are intimidated and don't like being challenged, making plays into exploiting and controlling that power. It's honestly a good setup that should be able to propel some excellent narrative arcs. There's a whole bunch of underdogs here to root for so if they can leverage that, and not make the ruling class so comically villainous and find some unexpected turns, it might turn out to be a good a great little first season.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
This was watchable but it felt like Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse with a slightly bigger budget.

Joss really never grew as an artist--and he wasn't that good to begin with--so that's why it's okay that his career is basically over.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I really like the lead Laura Donnelly as Amalia True. I recognized her from Ron Moore's Outlander as Jamie's sister.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Variety - TV Ratings: 'The Nevers' Delivers Best-Ever Debut for Original Series on HBO Max
"The Nevers," Joss Whedon's steampunk brainchild and HBO's latest original series, drew over 1.4 million viewers across linear telecasts and digital during its premiere on Sunday night. The show scored the best debut for a new original series on HBO Max and surpassed viewership for other popular shows on the streamer, including Misha Green's horror drama "Lovecraft Country" and David E. Kelley's psychological thriller "The Undoing." This preliminary number will likely increase significantly as viewing across HBO's platforms and additional telecasts are factored in.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Variety - TV Ratings: 'The Nevers' Delivers Best-Ever Debut for Original Series on HBO Max
"The Nevers," Joss Whedon's steampunk brainchild and HBO's latest original series, drew over 1.4 million viewers across linear telecasts and digital during its premiere on Sunday night. The show scored the best debut for a new original series on HBO Max and surpassed viewership for other popular shows on the streamer, including Misha Green's horror drama "Lovecraft Country" and David E. Kelley's psychological thriller "The Undoing." This preliminary number will likely increase significantly as viewing across HBO's platforms and additional telecasts are factored in.

This is interesting. I wonder how HBO will go about season 2 if the entire season impresses in the ratings. Definitely an awkward situation.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
I certainly second the steampunk X-Men descriptions. However, having seen the first episode, I want to stress just how steampunk X-Men it seemed to me. Tagged for spoilers for Episode 1:

So, everyone has spontaneous super powers. They're not mutants per se - the setup is more akin to George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards shared universe, where it is basically straight out of the setup for that world - but an event happens and suddenly a percentage of folks have powers and/or deformaties, rather than going through a specific process to receive their powers.

The folks with powers are all at a school for gifted youngsters. Excuse me, an orphanage for the Touched.

Those folks are the good guys with powers. Another group appears that, while not directly opposed (at first) are an organized group of bad guys with powers, almost a sort of evil brotherhood if you will.

One of the characters has the power to identify people nearby with powers and fascinate them. It's not exactly Cerebro...but the "coming in future episodes" preview reel at the end of the episode seemed to show a device performing the same function which would certainly be a lot like Cerebro.

There is also the Lord Swan, James Norton's character, and his sex cult. I forget the name of said sex cult but I am getting a Hellfire Club-ish vibe off of it. Not to over state it, mind you, but it felt that way to me in the context of everything else X-Men-ish.

Likewise, Nick Frost as the Begger King and his pals seemed rather Morlockish to me.

And Lord Massen representing the government looking to crack down on the Touched gives me William Stryker/God Loves Man Kills vibes.

So, not to overstate those last three but, man, it sure did feel like a lot of Claremont era X-Men concepts were being reworked here, especially given Whedon's own history of writing for the series. Which, I should stress, isn't necessarily a bad thing - I thought the first episode was well done and will give the rest of the season a shot - but it did seem rather specifically derivative.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I certainly second the steampunk X-Men descriptions. However, having seen the first episode, I want to stress just how steampunk X-Men it seemed to me. Tagged for spoilers for Episode 1:

So, everyone has spontaneous super powers. They're not mutants per se - the setup is more akin to George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards shared universe, where it is basically straight out of the setup for that world - but an event happens and suddenly a percentage of folks have powers and/or deformaties, rather than going through a specific process to receive their powers.

The folks with powers are all at a school for gifted youngsters. Excuse me, an orphanage for the Touched.

Those folks are the good guys with powers. Another group appears that, while not directly opposed (at first) are an organized group of bad guys with powers, almost a sort of evil brotherhood if you will.

One of the characters has the power to identify people nearby with powers and fascinate them. It's not exactly Cerebro...but the "coming in future episodes" preview reel at the end of the episode seemed to show a device performing the same function which would certainly be a lot like Cerebro.

There is also the Lord Swan, James Norton's character, and his sex cult. I forget the name of said sex cult but I am getting a Hellfire Club-ish vibe off of it. Not to over state it, mind you, but it felt that way to me in the context of everything else X-Men-ish.

Likewise, Nick Frost as the Begger King and his pals seemed rather Morlockish to me.

And Lord Massen representing the government looking to crack down on the Touched gives me William Stryker/God Loves Man Kills vibes.

So, not to overstate those last three but, man, it sure did feel like a lot of Claremont era X-Men concepts were being reworked here, especially given Whedon's own history of writing for the series. Which, I should stress, isn't necessarily a bad thing - I thought the first episode was well done and will give the rest of the season a shot - but it did seem rather specifically derivative.
Nailed it. I thought the first episode was boring, but it's got two more episodes to get interesting before I cast it into the void.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
forgot this was out

"victorian x-men" sounds.... perfect for me rn honestly. will make time for the pilot tonight.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Don't forget the lady in charge of the Orphanage is in a wheelchair.

That's an excellent point, thanks for adding it to the list.

Nailed it. I thought the first episode was boring, but it's got two more episodes to get interesting before I cast it into the void.

I'm not going to say I loved the first episode but I liked it well enough to keep going. I'm hoping that after a lot of dense setup that The Nevers has a chance to settle in and kinda be its own thing rather than X-Men pastiche. Either way, steampunk SF/fantasy is 1000% in my wife's wheelhouse so I know I'm on board for the whole thing.

Last edited:

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i randomly watched this on Sunday night because i was having trouble getting the first ep of Made For Love to load.

the inciting incident, revealed right at the end, seems very cool to me. had a similar vibe to FFXIII, maybe?
steampunk superheroes are not too compelling to me, though.
might watch an ep or 2 more to see if anything interesting happens at the sex club.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
That's an excellent point, thanks for adding it to the list.

I'm not going to say I loved the first episode but I liked it well enough to keep going. I'm hoping that after a lot of dense setup that The Nevers has a chance to settle in and kinda be its own thing rather than X-Men pastiche. Either way, steampunk SF/fantasy is 1000% in my wife's wheelhouse so I know I'm on board for the whole thing.
Pretty much the boat I'm in. Seemed like there's some interesting corners to peel back at least and I always give new series at least 3 episodes to start running.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not used to Nick Frost coming across as actually intimidating and a creep but I'm totally here for it.

Also, five bucks say Jack the Ripper is like a mutated monster man.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. I just hope Whedon's name being on it doesnt kill the show's future.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
episode 1 is a bowl of soup of tangled yarn and mash potatoes of at least 7 different properties

due to Whedon there's no way there won't be a Kitty Pride character

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really enjoyed that pilot. Looking forward to the second episode. We don't have an official thread do we?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I really enjoyed the pilot. Sigh.

Felt a little guilty about it, since the writer/director/creator has been such a creep.

Now in six episodes someone else will pick up where Whedon left off and it will probably immediately suck, just after we'd have time to appreciate wherever the story is going.

Oct 27, 2017
• Power to see the future when the plot decides it
• Power to procure a gadget when you are in the tricky position
• Power to heal negating any suspense when it comes to injuries/fights

From the writing and intrigue standpoint, they didn't even bother writing the first episode well. I saw some Opera flashbacks, therefore we are going to the opera...

Also have problems with the fantasy aspect, where you just have the regular world sprinkled with impossible-miracle inventions like AI driving a chariot and nobody even bats an eye. This soft-fantasy system where nothing is established, and the plot just introduces one miracle power/invention after another to solve problems is just not interesting for me.

Combat is also CW trash-tier, with sub-second cuts and poor impacts because none of the actors are good with martial arts or stuns.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
that power to heal seems weak as fuck
the seeing the future isn't even 100% b/c didn't in the pilot she saw her jump into the balcony but she never did?

also we got the full on Joker instead of kinda like the Joker character

Also have problems with the fantasy aspect, where you just have the regular world sprinkled with impossible-miracle inventions like AI driving a chariot and nobody even bats an eye. This soft-fantasy system where nothing is established, and the plot just introduces one miracle power/invention after another to solve problems is just not interesting for me.

Combat is also CW trash-tier, with sub-second cuts and poor impacts because none of the actors are good with martial arts or stuns.
it's 3 years since it happened and seems localized to that part of the city, everyone is probably use to it by now

Oct 27, 2017
that power to heal seems weak as fuck
the seeing the future isn't even 100% b/c didn't in the pilot she saw her jump into the balcony but she never did?

also we got the full on Joker instead of kinda like the Joker character

it's 3 years since it happened and seems localized to that part of the city, everyone is probably use to it by now

It isn't a Joker, it is a poor cosplayer of Bellatrix.

The way everybody was admiring the car suggests that such inventions are rare, yet THERE WAS A ROBOT DRIVING A CHARIOT.

I don't think that the show earns anything, it just had a pilot episode to showcase the party tricks, and all the conflicts felt fake as fuck to only serve showcasing those tricks. Maybe in pre-Netflix era those razzle dazzle moments could carry the show, but I don't think that it is a good show compared to today's competition.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It isn't a Joker, it is a poor cosplayer of Bellatrix.

The way everybody was admiring the car suggests that such inventions are rare, yet THERE WAS A ROBOT DRIVING A CHARIOT.

I don't think that the show earns anything, it just had a pilot episode to showcase the party tricks, and all the conflicts felt fake as fuck to only serve showcasing those tricks. Maybe in pre-Netflix era those razzle dazzle moments could carry the show, but I don't think that it is a good show compared to today's competition.
in post-Netflix era the actual first episode is the last episode of the 1st season

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see all the positive impressions of the pilot. My wife and I watched it and we have no interest in watching the second episode.

Despite liking a lot of the actors involved, the characters, story, premise and writing did nothing for us.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I think I'm in love with Adair. Like I'm just staring at her in her scenes lol. Is that bad to say??lol

Otherwise love the show. Adair and True basically carry the show.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 is not bad, another lull in the middle. It's like the pacing of the show

Another Whedon directed maybe that's why.

preview: something burning.... orphanage?

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that water fight was super creative. I officially love this show. The two leads are really good, and the supporting cast is better than I thought they'd be.

I also like how they don't fall into the "fantasy show has to be true to history" nonsense, although I suppose Victorian England was probably not nearly as racist as America at that time.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
also in a world where there's a Pan-sexual villain and the amount of casual male on male sexuality in this first 3 episodes there's no way Amelia and Peance shouldn't have kissed in the cold open of ep 3

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
I'll keep on a couple more episodes, see where it goes. I didn't love it, but I liked it enough to give it a fair shake.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'll keep on a couple more episodes, see where it goes. I didn't love it, but I liked it enough to give it a fair shake.
only 6 episodes

In February 2021, HBO and HBO Max chief content officer Casey Bloys confirmed that the first season would consist of 10 episodes that would be broken in two airing blocks–due to production shutdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Bloys stated, "And there was kind of a natural narrative break at six. So that was the thought then was to air six episodes.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I'm curious why this show isn't as popular. The leads are incredible and special effects are nice. The water fight should win them an emmy