• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
Imagine if this virus had a 30-40% death rate. Definitely a wake up call on how fragile everything we've built is.
Such a high death rate would make it harder for the virus to spread, since it would die out extremely fast and would only be problematic locally. The Corona Virus has an "optimal" rate, between many of its different factors, which make it this dangerous globally

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Such a high death rate would be better, since the virus would die out extremely fast and would only be problematic locally. The Corona Virus has an "optimal" rate, between many of its different factors, which make it this dangerous globally.
Uhhh no. A higher death rate would not be better. We are lucky as all fuck that the death rate is as low as it is.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
No see if all the people who get it die immediately that means there is less people around to spread the virus.

giphy.gif

I don't understand that post either.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
If you're reading this and you're not a sports fan either, put yourself in sports fan shoes by imagining being told no video games to be played for a quarter of the year (how long is a season)

No video games to played, no video games news.

Like what the fuck are all those basketball TV shows and podcasts going to talk about?

Dr Funk PhD

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Could you please link to some sort of study that backs this idea up?

This is actually pretty common in epidemiology. A truly lethal virus spreads slowly because it kills too quickly for mass transmission. For example, cholera used to be highly lethal for most of human history but was mostly limited to southern Asia. Once cholera mutated to become less lethal it actually became much worse of a problem because infected hosts could spread the disease in far greater numbers and it became a worldwide crisis in the the 18th and 19th century.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
This is actually pretty common in epidemiology. A truly lethal virus spreads slowly because it kills too quickly for mass transmission. For example, cholera used to be highly lethal for most of human history but was mostly limited to southern Asia. Once cholera mutated to become less lethal it actually became much worse of a problem because infected hosts could spread the disease in far greater numbers and it became a worldwide crisis in the the 18th and 19th century.

I don't agree that a high death rate is "better", but this post is accurate. High death rate -> Less time to incubate and spread.
Viruses need hosts. If they kill the hosts they can't spread.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes because HIV/AIDS isn't truly lethal until it kills more than 32 million people, right? Not sure your line of logic makes sense.

edit - I'm bad at reading, disregard this.

Last edited:

raphaelr

Oct 27, 2017
Yes because HIV/AIDS isn't truly lethal until it kills more than 32 million people, right? Not sure your line of logic makes sense.

simplified example, i hope this makes more sense...
Disease A and B are equally infectious.
Disease A is lethal within 3 days, disease B within 3 Months.
Everyone with disease A has 3 days to infect others, while everyone with disease B has 3 months to infect others.
So disease B is worse because so many more people can get infected.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco

Oh it makes perfect sense. It's a differential equation of infections with respect to time. Simple math.

The rate of new infections rise with the number of living infected individuals. Dead people cant infect new individuals because they are dead, t=0. The quicker they die, the less amount of time (tmax) they have to infect others.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If you're reading this and you're not a sports fan either, put yourself in sports fan shoes by imagining being told no video games to be played for a quarter of the year (how long is a season)

Like what the fuck are all those basketball TV shows and podcasts going to talk about?

Yea, I watch more basketball than I do movies or tv shows. Watched nearly every Laker game this season thanks to DVR. Hopefully, this doesn't last too long. I'm having 1998 lockout flashbacks.

Dr Funk PhD

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm... not quite sure you're understanding what people are saying. HIV is a great example of what I was saying because it can take years for it to kill without treatment, and during that time it will keep infecting as many as possible. If HIV killed within, say, 36 hours of initial infection it would not have nearly the range of spread it has now. Remember, a virus is a (semi) living organism, and it wants to infect as much as possible.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
how they will do that?already offs, stoping regular season where it is?

Depends how long the season is suspended. I doubt they'd let that much of a season be played with no playoffs or anything. In the 1998/1999 lockout they had a shorter season because of the overlap.

Last edited:

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Assuming we get to the playoffs, think there'll be a truncated series length?

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Depends how long the season is suspended. I doubt they'd let that much of a season be played with no playoffs or anything. in the 1998/1999 lockout they had a shorter season because of the overlap.

I could see the league trimming 8 games and extending the playoff season 2-3 weeks as it only impacts the elite teams. Olympics are also this year so that being cancelled could make it easier for the league to adjust schedules.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm... not quite sure you're understanding what people are saying. HIV is a great example of what I was saying because it can take years for it to kill without treatment, and during that time it will keep infecting as many as possible. If HIV killed within, say, 36 hours of initial infection it would not have nearly the range of spread it has now. Remember, a virus is a (semi) living organism, and it wants to infect as much as possible.

Ah okay i see what you're saying. I think I missed reading a few words in the post.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If they can't reschedule games, this is going to have a significant financial impact on some teams.
I know in hockey it's a big deal for small market teams to make the playoffs because they desperately want the extra revenue, even if it's just a couple of playoff home games.

Cancelling games or playing in empty arenas is a big deal. That revenue is very important to small market teams.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seems good but not sure what is defined as "arena staff worker"
Lots of arenas outsource to 3rd party security, 3rd party food prep, 3rd party janitorial

Lotta these hundred-millionaire, 9-figure players should be doing the same.
Billionaire owners too

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles

Seems good but not sure what is defined as "arena staff worker"
Lots of arenas outsource to 3rd party security, 3rd party food prep, 3rd party janitorial

Lotta these hundred-millionaire, 9-figure players should be doing the same.
Billionaire owners too

Why should the players help in instead of the owners fronting the whole bill?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

2k20, Space Jam 2 rumors, and the much needed return of NBA Street.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
If you believe Malcom Gladwell, there's not a chance any of the leagues will play again this year. The epidemiologists he talked to said 40-70 percent of the US would get infected, and around a million will die. This was on Bill Simmons podcast today. Mostly preventable if the Trump administration had acted in January.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If you believe Malcom Gladwell, there's not a chance any of the leagues will play again this year. The epidemiologists he talked to said 40-70 percent of the US would get infected, and around a million will die. This was on Bill Simmons podcast today. Mostly preventable if the Trump administration had acted in January.

On the one hand, it's Malcolm Gladwell.

That's the only hand.