• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand about the whole JonTron thing is, why on Earth did he think it was a good idea to say the things he said? Obviously those are his shitty views, but did he really not think there would be major backlash? I'm just surprised he didn't keep it to himself.

He's a drooling moron. Most of these guys are.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people in this thread genuinely do not understand that racism is violence. They see being racist as impolite or rude or showing of bad character, but not that it begets violence and oppression. Not as a threat to the marginalized.
The privilege of being able to say "they never called me a nigger" or worse "they aren't talking about me"

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
What I don't understand about the whole JonTron thing is, why on Earth did he think it was a good idea to say the things he said? Obviously those are his shitty views, but did he really not think there would be major backlash? I'm just surprised he didn't keep it to himself.
Because the vast majority of people don't care. Jontron is still sitting easy after what he said and people who associate him actually don't suffer in the long term. It's just how the world is, no cares if you're a racist asshole.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the vast majority of people don't care. Jontron is still sitting easy after what he said and people who associate him actually don't suffer in the long term. It's just how the world is, no cares if you're a racist asshole.

Yeah I brought up JonTrons BS elsewhere and I was ganged up on.

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
That was the hardest unfollow/unsub I've had in regards to finding out they associate with awful people. I'm usually very careful with whom I follow, so this came as a surprise. I won't retroactively take away the joy I got from his videos, but it will make me look at him differently from now on.

Claww

Nov 7, 2017
I think a lot of people in this thread genuinely do not understand that racism is violence. They see being racist as impolite or rude or showing of bad character, but not that it begets violence and oppression. Not as a threat to the marginalized.
Fundamentally, they don't seem to understand the primacy of fucked up beliefs like racism. You can't be a whole, well-rounded person if you harbor hate. You can't truly be kind, honest, or aware if you believe in hierarchies. You can't subtract something like racism from the equation when it comes to shit like that. Violence is the worst outcome, but it's just fundamentally vile. The least you can do is stay away (not even condone it, which is clearly asking too much), but gamers can't get even manage that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Fundamentally, they don't seem to understand the primacy of fucked up beliefs like racism. You can't be a whole, well-rounded person if you harbor hate. You can't truly be kind, honest, or aware if you believe in hierarchies. You can't subtract something like racism from the equation when it comes to shit like that. Violence is the worst outcome, but it's just fundamentally vile. The least you can do is stay away (not even condone it, which is clearly asking too much), but gamers can't get even manage that.
i come to the realization that for people to see all that, it would force them to confront some ugly truths about people they like/love. Poppop sends an email about Obama being a secret lizard muslim terrorist, Poppop can't racist, he is Poppop. it's a lot easier to throw a margalize population under the bus than tell Poppop to stop being racist.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Jakey...what the. Stop.

I'm gonna hold out on him making a comment distancing himself from Jontron before the unsub because I do enjoy his content. Being a POC, I already know non-POC stay (willingly or unwillingly) in the dark about these things so I'm just hoping Jakey just falls in that dumbass camp and....ugh

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
Damn, just checked him on Twitter and saw how many people I follow that follow him as well. Today just got worse. I'll check back in a day and see if they still do and maybe give them a polite tweet to let them know what's up.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Classmate once gave me the classic, i ignore the creator and enjoy the content when defending jon tron. Told him alright, but I can find way better channels to watch instead that doesn't have a racist creator.

Dude didn't have a response afterwards and seemed to reflect a bit.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, considering how what he took from the backlash was not that the core ideas were an issue, but rather that it was the way he stated them, I am thinking he thought that they were OK thoughts to have.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Repeated pattern of inflammatory drive-by posting
I will not tolerate any hotboi slandering

Oct 27, 2017

He lived in a giant internet bubble and thought it was perfectly fine to say that shit out loud.

It's almost a bygone era at this point, but around the time of Trump's inauguration (the Destiny debate was March 2017) white supremacists became VERY vocal with their beliefs. Charlottesville shut a lot of that down. They still exist, but they know better than to be as public about it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy looking at the latest posts on Twitter searching "ResetEra" all anime avatars on high horses talking about how crazy we are or stating we're a loony liberal hotbed disconnected from reality.
Bigotry is so very normalized in the gaming community that a place like resetera sticks out by default because the majority of members are openly progressive. This includes not tolerating "diet bigotry" where "IM NOT ACTUALLY TRANSPHOBIC BUT" see literally any thread at the old place where the subject is about trans Which REALLY makes us stick out. We live in a time where there are large sections of the internet comprised of grown ass adults who literally have no identity other than the fact that they're a shitheel who is constantly offended by the idea of anything progressive.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is Jafari in the middle of some PR redemption campaign ? Strange how coordinated his appearances have been, and hes being recommended to me in youtube again after months of disappearing

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think he is, I wont care until he owns up to what he did/said though.

That train left the station and derailed about two years ago for me, but its weird how coordinated these are, like he literally has a PR firm working out media appearances to try and get 2 or 3 viral moments rolling and get him back in the trending charts

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the context is obvious. There is some minor wriggle room in my mind if Jon was some longtime childhood friend, because drawing on my own experience I've disowned plenty of people for terrible beliefs but not all of them, for various reasons.

But in this case, Jon is just some kind of like e-celebrity he looks up to despite him being a neo-nazi. Even trying to read as charitably as I can, Jakey comes off as a huge apologist who doesnt give a shit about most of his fanbase no matter what he pretends.

i wasnt asking for personal advice.

People in this thread really acting like it's hard to drop white supremacist 'friends' as if they're relatives. You might have had a better point if was your family or some shit, but a friend? Now you're just willingly putting yourself around white supremacists and trying to make excuses for other people to be amicable towards them despite their views

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's an open racist.

Not that I'm insulting you personally but it is striking me as odd how people still seem to be finding this out now.
Eh, if you just never interact with the LP side of YouTube I could see someone not knowing who he was outside of hearing his name. I don't interact with the beauty guru side of YouTube so I have the same reaction of "who is this and what did they do" when something happens

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
People in this thread really acting like it's hard to drop white supremacist 'friends' as if they're relatives. You might have had a better point if was your family or some shit, but a friend? Now you're just willingly putting yourself around white supremacists and trying to make excuses for other people to be amicable towards them despite their views

That is literally not what I am doing. No one in this thread has done that.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
He's an open racist.

Not that I'm insulting you personally but it is striking me as odd how people still seem to be finding this out now.
I'm in the same boat as the other guy in that I've only ever heard of JonTron's but never actually seen any of his videos. There's so many YouTuber who I don't watch but know their names, then I find out (usually through Era) that they aren't good people. I just always assumed people liked Boogie until like a few weeks ago.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Not that surprising to me, since he recently went on Chris Ray Gun's podcast so he was already on the sus side.
Goddamn.

Has there been shit about Critikal (penguinz 0) too?

All these youtubers I used to watch for years.

If something comes out about Chris Smoove I might just YouTube for lofi music lol.
He's generally pretty anti-SJW (I think he's unironically used low-T as an insult before), he's had shit heels like Chris Ray Gun, Notch, and Count Dankula on his podcast, and one of his cohosts - Kaya Orsan - is a right wing piece of garbage.

Also, tangentially related but in case you didn't know, the trio of Yourmoviesucks, I Hate Everything, and Ralphthemoviemaker - all who already have made sus comments - are also close friends with people like Chris Ray Gun, The Act Man, Hiddenxperia, Some Black Guy, etc.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Jontron is still the one youtuber exposed as bigot that hurts the most. Man, I used to love his videos.

Deleted member 33597

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'm gonna hold out on him making a comment distancing himself from Jontron before the unsub because I do enjoy his content. Being a POC, I already know non-POC stay (willingly or unwillingly) in the dark about these things so I'm just hoping Jakey just falls in that dumbass camp and....ugh
You'll be waiting for a good while. Most people even in the Twitter replies are perfectly okay with it so there hasn't really been much of a backlash. It's exceedingly unlikely Jakey will even acknowledge it, and even if he does I'm all but certain it won't exactly be the redeeming moment of the year.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
You'll be waiting for a good while. Most people even in the Twitter replies are perfectly okay with it so there hasn't really been much of a backlash. It's exceedingly unlikely Jakey will even acknowledge it, and even if he does I'm all but certain it won't exactly be the redeeming moment of the year.

Actually that's a good point. Might as well just unsub now.

Oggmeiler

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

I put the racist stuff in the spoiler, so a warning, there is racist stuff in the spoiler.

iaSWu.jpg

DkH4S5w.jpg

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really gross. I think I might just preemptively unsubscribe from all these youtube personalities just to be on the safe side.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Boy I knew from the first video of his I saw linked on this site that this dude was suspect.

I sense a strong 'chan energy from him

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
I was just pumping his tires last week, about how he's a breath of fresh air for silly/insightful commentaries on games, and then he goes and does this...

Why do all the good ones turn out to be sour from the inside :(

Oct 28, 2017
This seems to contrast heavily with what I've seen of Destiny lately. What gives? Is this recent?

No. It's from years ago. It's relatively common knowledge that Destiny acted like a massive dickhead in SC2. He has since asserted that his political views have shifted dramatically. You can believe that if you like or, otherwise, continue to believe he's a racist. However, I do think it is somewhat disingenuous to continually bring up old instances like this uncritically as a means of 'outting' people as racists.