• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
For anyone who doesn't know the context of JonTron's racism, he advocated for stronger borders and in response to someone asking "what if the immigrants assimilated?" he said that they would eventually enter the gene pool. Clear cut racism.

He also argued black people are more violent than white people and that colonization was a good thing.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God that's such a bummer. I hope JoeyPockett stays decent bc he's like the only gaming personality I still follow.

I believe they're active on ResetEra. I follow JP on twitter, and it's kind of foolish to pretend to know that someone is a good person (just historically speaking), but all signs would indicate that they're probably not a piece of shit.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is getting so tiring, man. I really wish that it wasn't so hard for all these Youtubers to NOT be bad people/associate with known bigots.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
1300044776986.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Getting tired of all this milkshake. Oh, well. At least I'm glad these people aren't hiding it anymore. Makes it easier to hit that Unsubscribe button.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this thread we got a white gamer bro youtuber... embracing racism almost literally. I just gotta laugh at this. The earnest and direct simplicity of the symbolism here. 😂

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
I have a friend who openly identifies as "paleoconservative" and is a colonial apologist who dabbles in alt-right nonsense (though none of the openly bigoted bell curve and phrenology psuedoscience mr. jafari loves) and I would find it difficult to disassociate because human relationships are complicated. If I ever got mildly famous and someone passed around the knowledge I was in long DND campaigns with this guy or considered him a friend or posed for a photo, I don't know what I'd say.

But, like, these aint childhood friends I'm assuming? Jakey is purposefully forging a new friendship with a neo nazi to basically get YouTube clout. And then what, I'm supposed to shut up and take it I guess.

unsubb'd, for whatever that's worth.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
I believe they're active on ResetEra. I follow JP on twitter, and it's kind of foolish to pretend to know that someone is a good person (just historically speaking), but all signs would indicate that they're probably not a piece of shit.
That's true, yeah. I just really don't wanna keep getting burned but at the same time it's better to support who you think are good people than just distrust everyone, I suppose.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have a friend who openly identifies as "paleoconservative" and is a colonial apologist who dabbles in alt-right nonsense (though none of the openly bigoted bell curve and phrenology psuedoscience mr. jafari loves) and I would find it difficult to disassociate because human relationships are complicated. If I ever got mildly famous and someone passed around the knowledge I was in long DND campaigns with this guy or considered him a friend or posed for a photo, I don't know what I'd say.

That person wouldn't be my friend. You are the company you keep. Political beliefs aren't a game; stuff like that gets people killed.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm out of the loop af but what did Jontron do?

I mean, I legit only know him by name alone and I know some drama sprang up about him but I guess I'll look it up myself.

Jontron went on record spouting bigoted nonsense on Twitter and during a Twitch debate. He formally apologized for it, but most of the community see it as a "non-apology."

Jakey also recently did some videos with OneyNG. Oney is an animator and YouTuber also known to use racially charged humor. Oney has never apologized and only ever fought back in spite of critics.

I am not convinced any of them would ever actually incite violence or commit crimes, but their grandstanding with socially backwards viewpoints is dangerous enough. Jakey has yet to make any statements that would put him in the same category as these guys, but this association is enough (as seen in this thread) for some to drop him.

I wish all of these guys would realize they need to be responsible and professional. Even if they are just Archie Bunkers, they need to realize that mentality, amplified by their huge social media presence, enables bad behavior.

However, I can totally understand some people continuing to consume their content. The vast majority of the time, their personal politics are tangential to their content subject matter. Plus so many folks using adblock essentially guarantee you never directly fund their bad habits. It's just a fucking shame that their ignorance and shitty convictions have to hang over the work they and their crews achieve.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Getting sick of this white nationalist's slow but effective public rehabilitation.

I'm already pissed off that I can't enjoy A Hat in Time or now Rick and Morty but who knows what other things he's going to get his stinky mitts in.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Jontron went on record spouting bigoted nonsense on Twitter and during a Twitch debate. He formally apologized for it, but most of the community see it as a "non-apology."

Jakey also recently did some videos with OneyNG. Oney is an animator and YouTuber also known to use racially charged humor. Oney has never apologized and only ever fought back in spite of critics.

I am not convinced any of them would ever actually incite violence or commit crimes, but their grandstanding with socially backwards viewpoints is dangerous enough. Jakey has yet to make any statements that would put him in the same category as these guys, but this association is enough (as seen in this thread) for some to drop him.

I wish all of these guys would realize they need to be responsible and professional. Even if they are just Archie Bunkers, they need to realize that mentality, amplified by their huge social media presence, enables bad behavior.

However, I can totally understand some people continuing to consume their content. The vast majority of the time, their personal politics are tangential to their content subject matter. Plus so many folks using adblock essentially guarantee you never directly fund their bad habits. It's just a fucking shame that their ignorance and shitty convictions have to hang over the work they and their crews achieve.

Oney is also the type of person who thinks Downs Syndrome and Autism are the funniest things in the world.
I didn't even know about the rest, but im not surprised.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
That person should not be your friend, and you should be ashamed of associating with them.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

But, like, these aint childhood friends I'm assuming? Jakey is purposefully forging a new friendship with a neo nazi to basically get YouTube clout. And then what, I'm supposed to shut up and take it I guess.

unsubb'd, for whatever that's worth.

Lmao what I wouldn't want to play dnd with someone who "dabbles in the alt right" no matter how long I've known them.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's now to the point I feel nervous recommending YouTube videos because the content creator might turn out to be a garbage person.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting flashbacks to JonTron saying that black people are genetically more likely to commit crimes than white people. Why in the fuck would you continue to associate with someone like that assuming you yourself are not racist? I don't care how long you've been friends. Friends come and go.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting flashbacks to JonTron saying that black people are genetically more likely to commit crimes than white people. Why in the fuck would you continue to associate with someone like that assuming you yourself are not racist? I don't care how long you've been friends. Friends come and go.

Something in me doubts that they were friends before Jon outed himself at all. Like he had to establish a connection knowing what Jafari said and thought.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
then what was the point in bringing it up lmao

I think the context is obvious. There is some minor wriggle room in my mind if Jon was some longtime childhood friend, because drawing on my own experience I've disowned plenty of people for terrible beliefs but not all of them, for various reasons.

But in this case, Jon is just some kind of like e-celebrity he looks up to despite him being a neo-nazi. Even trying to read as charitably as I can, Jakey comes off as a huge apologist who doesnt give a shit about most of his fanbase no matter what he pretends.

i wasnt asking for personal advice.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
He also argued black people are more violent than white people and that colonization was a good thing.

More violent than the Europeans who literally and forcefully colonised almost the entire planet through violence and got filthy rich off of the enslavement and torture of black people. The delusion is palpable, damn.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Why Jakey, not you too. Soon we are only going to be left with enough good Youtubers to count on our hands.

Last edited:

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas

ya'll dont live in the real world. it's never that easy or that clean. you want to save them as much as you are repulsed by them alot of times, or you make excuses or say "well they're progressive in this way".

but like I've said, mr. jakey didnt have to worry about that. he sought out and chose to associate with the guy because he was a famous youtuber he stole his schtick from.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Good post. Covers it pretty well.

This really sucks. Jakey doesn't strike me as a particularly bad guy. I wonder if he realizes the extent of what Jontron has said. I'm really hoping not, but....

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
ya'll dont live in the real world. it's never that easy or that clean. you want to save them as much as you are repulsed by them alot of times, or you make excuses or say "well they're progressive in this way".

but like I've said, mr. jakey didnt have to worry about that. he sought out and chose to associate with the guy because he was a famous youtuber he stole his schtick from.

I live in a world where I don't stay friends with people who espouse white supremacist ethos.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing Concerns on Racism and Inflammatory Community Generalizations Over a Series of Posts

Era is for people who have been ousted from everywhere else. People here barely have online connections, let alone real life ones. You're trying to explain to a wall dude.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Maybe not, depending on your social bubble, but then you should maybe change your bubble (I'm aware that it may be impossible in some cases). But I've repeatedly stopped being friends with people who spouted racist/alt-right/similar bullshit, obviously after trying to reason with them and failing. If you say it's never that easy or clean, you're mistaken.
And yeah, it's not really applicable to Jakey's case, you're right.

Era is for people who have been ousted from everywhere else. People here barely have online connections, let alone real life ones. You're trying to explain to a wall dude.

I absolutely love these assumptions about total strangers based on nothing.
Yeah man, you're right. How in the world did you so accurately guess what my life looks like :'(

Yeah, no.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

don't project so hard you might hurt yourself and maybe get a life alert just in case

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Way to totally handwave the thread topic and pivot this to being about "era people that are weirdos" for not wanting to associate with the alt right.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
See, you don't even have to wait long to witness those who have no real life perspective.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oof what in the world

Might be best to not project personal experiences on to others in some weird attempt to dunk on an entire forum